Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any RDFRA news? (Re-org and the 'other thing')

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JimmyMercury

Fair enough, for what it's worth, there are many RDF out there who forego income, time, and other opportunities for the sake of serving one's country. They're an unsung credit to Ireland. But I think there's always going to be that problem of no guarantee of RDF availability when there isn't a sense of collective responsibility brought about by common operational purpose through this single force concept. Not to mention morale being in the toilet with a 10% pay cut that nobody seemed to challenge and a re-org that despite all the reshuffling, kept up a façade that hid the fact that there's too many chiefs, not enough indians; and until that balance is corrected, the RDF will continue to be poor value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

During the few remaining months, the RDF were getting Mandays allocated for duties, they got a week block at a time in our unit, think 3-4 weeks overall for the sole purpose of duties. These ran along side training camps too. So if the RDF would partake they actually came out the other side a whole lot better for doing duties than you PDF troop. Day on, next day off. Normal camp pay.

Yet you still had some RDF promising to come on duty then something better comes along in their eyes and they catch someone else! If they don't want to do it fair enough, don't volunteer is what I am getting at.

I'm not having a pop at the RDF btw, I was in it long enough myself, but I was not blind to the problems it had, and many brought on by the members themselves.

Well stuff like that should be remembered by NCOs and officers. Someone volunteers for something and then remembers he has his sisters wedding or he has 2 tickets to see Cork play Offaly , they should be added to the back of the list for future desirable duties. Or added to the top of the list for future undesirable duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

There seems to be a lack of taking themselves to serious at times which I fear may have hurt them too much already...

I've done the 'free' guard duty, but then I'm one of the old hands and my opinion to just get in there and do it doesn't carry a lot of weight with the younger people... until we begin being serious about it this year and people start being "involuntarily separated" over it.

The other side, of course, is that if the MA or DoD start treating us like temporary or part-time workers then don't expect people to be enthused about now doing jobs where we have to do free hours and have a slap in the face 10% basic pay penalty for doing the same job (excluding all the allowances) when we do get paid.

Advertisement