Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sore wrist?

Options
  • 28-10-2013 3:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

So as as all good stories begin.. I had a few too many drinks about this time last year. I thought it was a good idea to challenge a friend to a race.. of course I ended up falling very heavily on my hands which I stuck out in front of me and (as they didn't fully support me from the impact) my face in a pretty epic face plant. Of course, it was hilarious at the time, despite the cuts, blood and bruises.. and I knew the alcohol was doing a damn good job to cover up the pain.
    However, the next day, as you would expect, my left wrist in particular was quite sore.. but I expected it to fully recover. And well.. it did to some extent. but a whole year later, it is what i can only describe as: still 'weak'. For example, if I reach for something relatively heavy at an unorthodox angle, I feel a twinging pain in in my wrist in the Pisiform region. It is not overbearing, however I know it would be if further stress was applied. I don't think I could have a left handed arm wrestle for example without risk of potentially extreme pain etc.

Is this just what happens when you have a fall like this? Or should your body fully recover? could there be treatable damage?

(I'm 23 and relatively healthy)
    Edit: realising the title sets myself up as an easy target for nsfw jokes about hurting your wrist.. !! :P

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Best get yourself to a physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I am a qualified internet doctor and I have seen cases like this before. Im afraid amputation is the only option.

Please come to my office at your leisure and ill remove the whole limb for a minimal fee.

Of course you are welcome to seek a 2nd opinion from the many other qualified healthcare professionals in your local area.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Were about's are you and we can try and recommend someone for you to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭stephen090

I am a qualified internet doctor and I have seen cases like this before. Im afraid amputation is the only option.

Please come to my office at your leisure and ill remove the whole limb for a minimal fee.

Of course you are welcome to seek a 2nd opinion from the many other qualified healthcare professionals in your local area.

Thanks for your concern, but perhaps I can't afford to just dander into such an office for something essentially aesthetic -as as you mightn't have noticed while being a pretentious so and so, some people are having a hard time making ends meet.

If it's something worth looking at then I can consider it, hence the reason for genuinely seeking advice here. So I appreciate your ever so genuine response..

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Were about's are you and we can try and recommend someone for you to see?

I'm in the Donegal region, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

stephen090 wrote: »
    If it's something worth looking at then I can consider it

If it's still not right a year later, then it is something worth looking at.

If it's still not right a year later, then it is something worth looking at.

Thanks, that's the kind of simple advice/clarification I sought. I know sometimes your body can remain weakened after an injury and just wanted to hear a few opinions and suggestions on the matter

Thanks for your concern, but perhaps I can't afford to just dander into such an office for something essentially aesthetic -as as you mightn't have noticed while being a pretentious so and so, some people are having a hard time making ends meet.

If it's something worth looking at then I can consider it, hence the reason for genuinely seeking advice here. So I appreciate your ever so genuine response..

Yes and common sense and forum charter dictate that no-one can give you medical advise on this forum.

if you think something is wrong go to a DR or other medical professional. any and all advice taken from an internet forum from random strangers is likely to be incorrect or dangerous.
    hence the suggestion to amputate.

And yes I have noticed that some people cannot afford to go to a Dr, boo hoo.
    If you can afford an internet subscription you can afford medical care. Priorities: assess them.

Yes and common sense and forum charter dictate that no-one can give you medical advise on this forum.

if you think something is wrong go to a DR or other medical professional. any and all advice taken from an internet forum from random strangers is likely to be incorrect or dangerous.
    hence the suggestion to amputate.

And yes I have noticed that some people cannot afford to go to a Dr, boo hoo.
    If you can afford an internet subscription you can afford medical care. Priorities: assess them.

If your head wasn't so far up your self, you'd have noticed at no point did I ask for any complex medical advice, simply questions some people may know from experience. I'm not asking for the incision point at which to amputate..?

If you can go figure how a student can prioritise having an annual internet subscription in their shared college accommodation over being able to afford trips to their general practioner, then please do share. Not everyone was granted all your airs and graces you should realise.

So as as all good stories begin.. I had a few too many drinks about this time last year. I thought it was a good idea to challenge a friend to a race.. of course I ended up falling very heavily on my hands which I stuck out in front of me and (as they didn't fully support me from the impact) my face in a pretty epic face plant. Of course, it was hilarious at the time, despite the cuts, blood and bruises.. and I knew the alcohol was doing a damn good job to cover up the pain.
    However, the next day, as you would expect, my left wrist in particular was quite sore.. but I expected it to fully recover. And well.. it did to some extent. but a whole year later, it is what i can only describe as: still 'weak'. For example, if I reach for something relatively heavy at an unorthodox angle, I feel a twinging pain in in my wrist in the Pisiform region. It is not overbearing, however I know it would be if further stress was applied. I don't think I could have a left handed arm wrestle for example without risk of potentially extreme pain etc.

Is this just what happens when you have a fall like this? Or should your body fully recover? could there be treatable damage?

(I'm 23 and relatively healthy)
    Edit: realising the title sets myself up as an easy target for nsfw jokes about hurting your wrist.. !! :P

Thanks!

I dont know if you missed this post here, but ill break it down for you.

"I hurt my wrist, its still sore, is this normal? can it be treated?"
    That's asking for medical advice

Noone cares that you are poor, get over it. There are people with less money than you and have way more than a booboo on their **** hand.

Stop pissing your money up the wall in the pub for a week and go to a Dr.

• Advertisement

Stop pissing your money up the wall in the pub for a week and go to a Dr.

I'm not looking for sympathy. I drink once a month at best and work part time at weekend while not in college. I'm well aware people are worse off than me, but I try do the best I can with what I have been given. Your 'common sense' approach that you alluded to previously is all that I asked for in anyone who wished to respond- not anything too scientific. Pity you didn't take your own advice. If you weren't so much of a judgemental arsehole, who's been gifted everything they need, you could probably empathise, but that's the difference between us. Yeah, a fair percentage of students drink regularly, but even they can see a jumped up pretentious prick when they see one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Go to the college doctor then

I'm not looking for sympathy. I drink once a month at best and work part time at weekend while not in college. I'm well aware people are worse off than me, but I try do the best I can with what I have been given. Your 'common sense' approach that you alluded to previously is all that I asked for in anyone who wished to respond- not anything too scientific. Pity you didn't take your own advice. If you weren't so much of a judgemental arsehole, who's been gifted everything they need, you could probably empathise, but that's the difference between us. Yeah, a fair percentage of students drink regularly, but even they can see a jumped up pretentious prick when they see one.

gifted with what?

common sense enough not to fall over like a prat when Im drunk?
    or gifted with enough sense not to ask random strangers whats wrong with me.

are mammy and daddy sending cheques to their little soldier away at college each month?

Here's a life tip. Go to the doctor, and quit bitching about how hard life is as a non tax paying, countdown watching, drunken layabout.

most of the people you speak to have been to college, and have no sympathy for drunken injuries. Sort your self out you child.

PS, get a job.

gifted with what?

common sense enough not to fall over like a prat when Im drunk?
    or gifted with enough sense not to ask random strangers whats wrong with me.

are mammy and daddy sending cheques to their little soldier away at college each month?

Here's a life tip. Go to the doctor, and quit bitching about how hard life is as a non tax paying, countdown watching, drunken layabout.

most of the people you speak to have been to college, and have no sympathy for drunken injuries. Sort your self out you child.

PS, get a job.

You just backed up exactly my point in my previous post. You come across as an angry impotent man, who's let life fly by you as others enjoy themselves. I work and go to college. If you had any concept of the real world, you would see I'm not doing too bad. I pay taxes and fees and have supported my self through education. You would assume my parents provide for me as that's the lifestyle you enjoyed. You're after painting every student with the same brush. The future of this country, while there is talk of a brain drain. Not everyone can sit on their public clerical job position while browsing forums spreading bitterness while counting up flexitime before returning to a cold empty flat

You just backed up exactly my point in my previous post. You come across as an angry impotent man, who's let life fly by you as others enjoy themselves. I work and go to college. If you had any concept of the real world, you would see I'm not doing too bad. I pay taxes and fees and have supported my self through education. You would assume my parents provide for me as that's the lifestyle you enjoyed. You're after painting every student with the same brush. The future of this country, while there is talk of a brain drain. Not everyone can sit on their public clerical job position while browsing forums spreading bitterness while counting up flexitime before returning to a cold empty flat

Id say give your self a round of applause, but you might hurt yourself further.

I may be angry and old, but I can afford the best Doctors.
    Nice to see how you've outlined my job and lifestyle so succinctly. You should apply that logic to this conundrum:

"My wrist huts, what should I do? Should I go to the zoo? No, that doesn't seem right. Should I go to the art gallery? No, that doesn't seem right. Should I go to the fair? Oh why won't someone help me. Should I stop drinking and pulling the middle out of myself and use that spare cash and time to consult a medial professional? No, there must be a better way. Oh why wont someone help me?"

Id say give your self a round of applause, but you might hurt yourself further.

I may be angry and old, but I can afford the best Doctors.
    Nice to see how you've outlined my job and lifestyle so succinctly. You should apply that logic to this conundrum:

"My wrist huts, what should I do? Should I go to the zoo? No, that doesn't seem right. Should I go to the art gallery? No, that doesn't seem right. Should I go to the fair? Oh why won't someone help me. Should I stop drinking and pulling the middle out of myself and use that spare cash and time to consult a medial professional? No, there must be a better way. Oh why wont someone help me?"

Thanks for all your medical advice you conceited old fart. The only shame is that while you go to the best doctor in town to get your cholesterol levels looked at, I'm having an alright time of it getting laid on a regular basis by my girlfriend. But thanks for availing of the cheap sore wrist= **** material.. Have fun browsing this time forum for more posts you can subject to your bitterness

The only shame is that while you go to the best doctor in town to get your cholesterol levels looked at, I'm having an alright time of it getting laid on a regular basis by my girlfriend.

lol, we do have something in common after all.
    Say hi to her from me and and lads.

lol, we do have something in common after all.
    Say hi to her from me and and lads.

Wow! yet another perk of going to a good doctor. Glad to see they're still giving prescriptions of the little blue pill to senile old gob****es :p

to be fair after the lads have had their tun the blue pill is overkill. you could get the job done with semi.

but look who im telling, you know yourself. she aint known for her grip, more ease of access

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

thread locked, medical advice.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement