Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal Tow Path

Options
  • 25-10-2013 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭

From 28 October to February 2014 the Royal Canal tow path is closed from 12th Lock to 10th Lock (Ashtown) in order to upgrade the tow path to cycle path standard by Fingal County Council.

I have asked Waterways Ireland for specifics - I want to see if any of the suggestions I made in my submission (in response to the Public Consultation) have been taken on board.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭d15ude

daymobrew wrote: »
    ... in order to upgrade the tow path to cycle path standard

sounds good!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Am I right in thinking (from what I can see on the train) that some home owners have extended their back gardens right out to the canal?

amdublin wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking (from what I can see on the train) that some home owners have extended their back gardens right out to the canal?
    Would that even be legal? I thought the side of the canal are public walkways?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

No it wasn't legal but no one stopped them and now they can claim squatter's rights.

Recently someone who used to live along Roselawn Road (some of their back gardens back onto the canal) said that, on moving in, she was told to extend her garden to take the unused canal bank.

I am not sure there ever was a tow path on the northern side of the canal on that stretch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

amdublin wrote: »

A good few have done so between the 12th Lock and Coolmine, but I always thought the majority of the space was their property anyway. I must admit to being envious at times when running by as some have decking and BBQ areas just at the waters edge. Although I don't think it's much skin off the publics nose, whatever about the rights and wrongs, as there's no pathway of any sort on the side of the canal anyway that they'd encroach upon.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Although I don't think it's much skin of the publics nose, whatever about the rights and wrongs, as there's no pathway of any sort on the side of the canal anyway that they'd encroach upon.
    For this stretch (Castleknock to Coolmine) it is a problem as the current towpath on the southern side is too narrow (with the train track on one side) to make a cycle track. The (encroached) northern side does not have the trail line issue and there is (was) plenty of space for a cycle track.

Yes, the current one is very narrow, hard to see how they'll go about improving it in certain places without building the bank up. Was there ever a public through way on the other side at that point ?

Yes, the current one is very narrow, hard to see how they'll go about improving it in certain places without building the bank up.
    I suggested a boardwalk type expansion, like done on Liffey bank between Capel Street bridge and O'Connell Street bridge.
    Was there ever a public through way on the other side at that point ?
    I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yes, the current one is very narrow, hard to see how they'll go about improving it in certain places without building the bank up. Was there ever a public through way on the other side at that point ?

There is an access point to the north side, there's like a steel barrier across it, just on the LHS as you go over the bridge. I think I read somewhere that there was a tow path on that side, I'm wondering was it mentioned in relation to when a canal boat sunk along there and quite a few people died.

I saw the sign on Saturday saying the 12th to 10th locks are closed, are they upgrading that path to be similar to that between the 10th and 8th locks? I like running along that stretch, so its a bit of a pain its closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Looks like some fairly heavy machinery on the tow path between 12 and 10th locks this morning. It was visible from the auburn ave / navan road junction, just perched up on the hill beside the disused river-road bridge.

Anyone find out what they are doing? Nice new tow/cycle path?

• Advertisement

Anyone find out what they are doing? Nice new tow/cycle path?
    The answer is in the first post of this thread.

I am not sure there ever was a tow path on the northern side of the canal on that stretch.
    I rang Waterways Ireland and was told that there was never a tow path on the northern side of the canal on that stretch (between Castleknock and Coolmine train stations), just unused 'scrub area'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

The bit between the back of the newish Phoenix Park railway station and the level crossing at Ashtown is like a mud track and quite narrow in places. Good to see the upgrade as plenty of land available, hopefully some shrubbery cut down also to make it feel safer.

That part is in quite a good state I thought, I don't recall it being narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

That part is in quite a good state I thought, I don't recall it being narrow.

Its definitely narrow like an obstacle course when it rains :)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Iv taken to running up the canal from dublin 1, however with the works going on I can only run as far as ashtown station, where is the nearest place to get access again the the canal path after the works?

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    Iv taken to running up the canal from dublin 1, however with the works going on I can only run as far as ashtown station, where is the nearest place to get access again the the canal path after the works?
    12th Lock.
    You can go up to the Navan Road and cross over. There you join the path/cycle track that ends at the petrol station at Russell Park. Then it is footpath to the pedestrian bridge over the M50.

Here it is mapped out: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6151696

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Seoda1

I met one of the lads who was working on the upgrade and he said they were upgrading the path,,putting in the cycle path, installing CCTV cameras and public lighting for night time so it should be great when completed. I don't think it's finished yet though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Seoda1 wrote: »
    I met one of the lads who was working on the upgrade and he said they were upgrading the path,,putting in the cycle path, installing CCTV cameras and public lighting for night time so it should be great when completed. I don't think it's finished yet though!
    I noticed street lighting being erected the other day from the train alright! A fair bit of work looked to be done yet though. I wish Coolmine to Clonsilla was also worked on as that was always the least pedestrian friendly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

More lights, just what we need. Wildlife along the canal will certainly suffer if the lights are left on all night.

• Advertisement

Gaspode wrote: »
    More lights, just what we need. Wildlife along the canal will certainly suffer if the lights are left on all night.
    The EIA (Environmental Impact Study said:
    Lighting design will be sympathetic to the presence of bats and include measures to prevent light overspill. Bat boxes will be placed in suitable locations as advised by a qualified ecologist at the detailed design stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Here's hoping they follow through on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

hi,

I had a look at the works at the weekend. Zero progress visible in the last 2 weeks. this job must have broken some records at this stage for moving at a snails pace...originally supposed to take 4 months (Nov - feb) Now looking more like 7\8 months?

I can understand delays with the electrics and the CCTV but they havnt moved an inch on laying the tarmac in a fortnight either..

Meanwhile a large number of people are unable to use a key amenity.

It looks almost like the contractors have downed tools?

fasterbetter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

A lot of builders and contractors have taken the last two weeks off so that may explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Ran down this at the weekend. No visible progress made in weeks now. It's starting to take the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

I would advise residents or anyone affected by this poorly managed project to start sending complaints to Fingal county council as this is really taking the pi$$.

The more people who complain using the link below the quicker it will be fixed.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/customer-service/contact-us/

I would advise residents or anyone affected by this poorly managed project to start sending complaints to Fingal county council as this is really taking the pi$$.

The more people who complain using the link below the quicker it will be fixed.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/customer-service/contact-us/
    I filled in the form and rang and left a message with Operations early Thursday morning. No responses yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

I filled in the form and rang and left a message with Operations early Thursday morning. No responses yet.

Fair play to you, I've done the same. The more complaints they receive the quicker it will be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I sent a mail to waterways Ireland and got a response today saying to contact Fingal council as it was being managed by them. I guess I'll send them one too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,833 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Fair play to you, I've done the same. The more complaints they receive the quicker it will be sorted.

Absolutely not the case. Its as easy to ignore 50 complaints as 5. The Councillors are in silly season before the election, so unless it something they can do for you in short order to guarantee a vote, theyll ignore it too as irrelevant.

Advertisement