Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having issues with right turns

Options
  • 25-10-2013 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭

As I am a relatively new cyclist there is a problem I am having alot and thats making right turns on junctions and roundabouts. I signal with my hand but i get overtaken alot when I'm trying to make my right turn and am forced through the junction at times. On roundabouts when turning right I seem to get almost catastrophic results with traffic behind me and passing me during my turn. It's making me super nervous :(. What should I be do? Should I just put more authority into my turns?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Signal before the turn. Take the turn at a speed which you are comfortable with. The rest will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Treat yourself as a car, take up the whole lane and continue on your way as you would if you were in a car (obviously when you get off the roundabout jump into the cycle lane/side of the road) Hand signals to the car behind always helps aswel, turn your head and make sure the driver behind you knows what you are doing and where you are going!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

If you were driving a car how would you make a right turn? It's no different on a bike. Be more assertive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭mondeo

I do drive a car aswell but I'm trying to reserve it for weekend use. I was thinking I was not being assertive enough on the road with the bike but I will just jump into the lane I need to use and get back on cycle track again as soon as possible. i guess I'm not 100% confidant.

mondeo wrote: »
    I do drive a car aswell

I'll bet it's a Ford.

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I'll bet it's a Ford.

It's a Ford I cannot afford to use alot these days, petrol and all that:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

You could go to a particular troublesome junction or roundabout, hang about for a while and wait for some other cyclist to negotiate it properly. Watch how they do it, repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

I have a couple of busy right turns on my commute, off the Clonskeagh Road onto Beaver Road and in Donnybrook and further on. Make sure you plan the turn a long way back, as much as 75-100 metres as this gives you time to pull in front of a car without being too close and pisssing them off, stay in front of the car, hold your line. Be assertive from the start, I point to where I am going in front of the car and signal again when about to turn. I generally have no problem with cars beeping at me, as a driver you probably know that you accept bikes pulling in front of you especially if you have time to react.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

If you're not confident enough then you can always consider the slower but safer option of dismounting, crossing as a pedestrian and remounting until you gain the confidence and requisite cycling skills

Spook_ie wrote: »
    If you're not confident enough then you can always consider the slower but safer option of dismounting, crossing as a pedestrian and remounting until you gain the confidence and requisite cycling skills

That's just avoiding it surely and can't help the OP overcome the problem?

• Advertisement

I have done that a few times actually, felt abit silly doing it though knowing I should not have to.

That's just avoiding it surely and can't help the OP overcome the problem?

Depends on the junctions, some need a lot more experience in general conditions before attempting them, I still hate turning right from the Nangor Road onto the N7 and have gone a different route to avoid it.

Anyways if the confidence isn't there then telling people to just go for it probably isn't the wisest course of action, perhaps someone who reckons they are an excellant cyclist should offer to mentor the guy in real life rather than telling him to dive into the deep end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

There's an excellent book called Cyclecraft that details how to deal with various junctions, as well as plenty other good advice.

I'd highly recommend it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Zyzz wrote: »
    Treat yourself as a car, take up the whole lane and continue on your way as you would if you were in a car (obviously when you get off the roundabout jump into the cycle lane/side of the road) Hand signals to the car behind always helps aswel, turn your head and make sure the driver behind you knows what you are doing and where you are going!

This is pretty much bang on I reckon.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭SilverLiningOK

At busy major junctions with lights, I often deal with turning right like turning left is tackled in Denmark.
    Bikes also are not allowed to “turn through” intersections. If a bike wants to turn left on to a new road, they must cross in one direction first, and then cross in the other.

You basically cross one side of junction on green and join crossing stream which is stopped on red. You then proceed when you get your green. See no problem at all with doing this. It feels much safer and wiser than being a sitting target in the middle of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I slow down approaching the junction/roundabout and let whatever cars are behind me get closer so they are in no doubt that I'm there and then cycle in the middle of the lane leaving them no where to pass because you can be absolutely sure that if you hug the inside line (or outside) they will pass you if possible. I do the same approaching traffic islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Firstly, if you can't look over your right shoulder without maintaining a straight line, practice that first, on a quiet road.
    The faster the traffic is travelling, the earlier you will have to check over your shoulder.
    1. Check over your shoulder for a gap in traffic
    2. Signal clearly
    3. Move to the right third of your lane, or the appropriate filter lane
    4. If you come to a stop at a light, signal again for the benefit of those who may not have seen your earlier signal
    5. Manoeuvre through the junction in the same way as other traffic
    6. Resume your normal road position

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

All very good advice there. I think the most important thing is to treat yourself as a vehicle and not as a pedestrian. Demand respect from other vehicles. Whenever I'm cycling I always take up as much of my lane as I want, because if I don't I find that other vehicles try and squeeze between me and the oncoming traffic. By staying in the middle of your lane you are eliminating that option for them which makes everything safer. After all, they would not overtake a slow moving tractor unless it was safe to do so. But for some reason a lot of drivers think that cyclists should ride up on the ditch so that they can rally on to their destination.

Depends on the junctions, some need a lot more experience in general conditions before attempting them, I still hate turning right from the Nangor Road onto the N7 and have gone a different route to avoid it.

Anyways if the confidence isn't there then telling people to just go for it probably isn't the wisest course of action, perhaps someone who reckons they are an excellant cyclist should offer to mentor the guy in real life rather than telling him to dive into the deep end :)

If that's aimed at me, however tongue-in-cheek it may have been intended, I never said that I reckoned that I am an excellent cyclist. Nor did I advise him to dive in at the deep end. The OP is already taking the turns (as per his post) and asked for some feedback on how to improve the doing of said action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I'm with the OP; right turns can be difficult, as a lot of drivers don't actually notice bicycles.
    For example, a regular cycle of mine includes coming around St Stephen's Green in Dublin, moving right across the traffic to position myself to turn right into Dawson Street, then moving right across the traffic in Dawson Street to turn into Molesworth Street.

Both of these negotiations are difficult and dangerous, and the one from Dawson Street into Molesworth Street is complicated by a seriously uneven road surface.

The Danish method sounds better (even though neither of these is a crossroad); I think I'll take to stopping on the left, walking across with my bicycle when it's safe to do it, and remounting and riding on.

Another particularly nasty one is coming out of Kildare Street on to Stephen's Green and then turning right, either into the bus/bike contraflow lane (which is currently having roadworks) or into Ely Place and right again through Hume Street and left into that same bus/bike lane. Very nasty with buses and taxis growling up your arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Get over to the right and take the lane before taking the bend out of Kildare St if aiming for the contraflow. That should limit potential for conflict.
    Keep left coming out of Kildare St if heading for Ely Place. You should be moving to the right somewhere around the Bank of Ireland if you're going for that one.

The junction there is being redesigned at the moment so you'll have new challenges to deal with in the near future.

Another particularly nasty one is coming out of Kildare Street on to Stephen's Green and then turning right, either into the bus/bike contraflow lane (which is currently having roadworks) or into Ely Place and right again through Hume Street and left into that same bus/bike lane. Very nasty with buses and taxis growling up your arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Sensible advice, DermotIll.

One problem about the quick glance over the shoulder, incidentally; it's fine for you eagle-eyed folk, but my glasses are -10.5; if I glance over my shoulder, what I see in the non-glasses part is a beautiful swirl of meaningless colour. If I turn my head right around like an owl to look, it's impossible not to swerve, and takes too long, so I'm easily doored or floored by a pothole. (Which is one reason why I'd love separated bike lanes.)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

When turning right at roundabouts etc, it's vital to ride in the centre of your approach lane. In this position, no car can pass you. Proceed through the junction holding your line all the time, and only when you are through the junction, should you pull in to the left. Works for me all the time, and drivers don't seem to have an issue with it. On the contrary, I believe motorists are far happier to see an assertive cyclist on the road, rather than one who is all over the place. Practise,practise,and more practise.

If that's aimed at me, however tongue-in-cheek it may have been intended, I never said that I reckoned that I am an excellent cyclist. Nor did I advise him to dive in at the deep end. The OP is already taking the turns (as per his post) and asked for some feedback on how to improve the doing of said action.

Stop being so paranoid, there are some 5 other posters in before that post and umpteen views. They're not out to get you they're out to get everyone :)

It's very similar to taking a motor bike out in traffic for the first few times you wouldn't expect to go and do it with out someone guiding you, would you? and someone being there in person is going to see and be able to correct much more than someone reading posts on a forum

Sensible advice, DermotIll.

One problem about the quick glance over the shoulder, incidentally; it's fine for you eagle-eyed folk, but my glasses are -10.5; if I glance over my shoulder, what I see in the non-glasses part is a beautiful swirl of meaningless colour. If I turn my head right around like an owl to look, it's impossible not to swerve, and takes too long, so I'm easily doored or floored by a pothole. (Which is one reason why I'd love separated bike lanes.)

You've probably already read this thread about mirrors
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86175383
    but no harm in reminding people especially any newbies

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Well I do it pretty much the same as others, it's all about confidence I think, hold your lane and go for it.

I allow myself LOADS of time to take a left turn, at least 100m to manoeuvre, and hand signal throughout. You have to be direct and really clear about where you're going, see what line you want to take and concentrate on sticking to that as safely as possible. Practice looking over your shoulder and staying straight, it's key.

Qualitymark I too wear glasses, and have perfected the owl-but-straight over the shoulder look-I do envy the non spectacled their swift glancings though :D

I come up on Stephen's green from Leeson street and stay in lane from there to Dawson street, in the right hand one all the way from there to Molesworth street. The surface on Dawson street is shocking. Same with Kildare street/Baggot street/ely place, I get in lane on Kildare street and stick to it, come round onto stephens green on the right and stay there so I don't have to cross traffic onto ely place.

Advertisement