Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mirrors

Options
  • 24-08-2013 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭

Does anybody here use Bicycle mirrors.I have been thinking about getting one as I tend to wobble when I try to look behind.I have been looking at the ones on e-bay but there seems to be a bewildering array of them.Dont care for the very big ones on long stems but am sure the are effective.The small ones such as those that fit on the handle bar ends look better,but wonder if they do the job ok,especially on racing type handle bars.Actually I wonder why so few cyclists use mirrors as at least in theory they should be a great safety aid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

archer22 wrote: »
    Does anybody here use Bicycle mirrors.I have been thinking about getting one as I tend to wobble when I try to look behind.I have been looking at the ones on e-bay but there seems to be a bewildering array of them.Dont care for the very big ones on long stems but am sure the are effective.The small ones such as those that fit on the handle bar ends look better,but wonder if they do the job ok,especially on racing type handle bars.Actually I wonder why so few cyclists use mirrors as at least in theory they should be a great safety aid.
    Good point and I also would like to hear some feedback. I think they are beneficial in some situations and I would always put active safety before passive safety, i.e. mirrors, good brake pads, lights and high quality tyres before a helmet, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I wonder why so few cyclists use mirrors
    See rule 66 - http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

On a serious note, if you tend to wobble when glancing back you should aim to remedy that. Even if you utilise a mirror, it is only an aid and you would be still expected to manually check behind. Also a mirror will not cover any blind spots, dangerous in heavy traffic, a noisy environment or going into a strong headwind, where you may not hear a vehicle immediately behind you and to your right. A good example for instance are buses with rear engines, which when slowing down to match your speed, can be very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

I feel that looking over my shoulder sends a signal to drivers to give me a bit of space, although I have no empirical evidence it works. Even if you get a mirror it's worth working on this skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Zen0 wrote: »
    I feel that looking over my shoulder sends a signal to drivers to give me a bit of space, although I have no empirical evidence it works. Even if you get a mirror it's worth working on this skill.

Agreed, the wobblier the cyclist the wider the berth given by overtaking vehicles.

Fix the problem (confidence, positioning and bike handling) rather than moving the problem elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

The difficulty I see is getting the ideal placement - where you can easily glance at the mirror, but also get a good view behind. I personally don't think it's worth it, and would probably suggest getting more comfortable looking behind at regular intervals. I would glance behind me multiple times on stretches of road to anticipate the traffic, as well as keeping my ears tuned to the noises behind me. Keep a decent distance from the inside to account for any minor wobbling or deviation, but you should definitely work on your stability if you find yourself going far off course. It's just a matter of defeating the tendency to overcompensate and turn into the ditch; you'll master it with practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Actually I wonder why so few cyclists use mirrors as at least in theory they should be a great safety aid.

For me it's

a) because I don't think it looks good
    b) because looking over my shoulder lets me establish eye contact with drivers a lot of the time
    c) because I don't trust the viewing range/angle of a mirror and would need to look over my shoulder anyway

As above, I'd say you're better off getting steady (or less wobbly) rather than compensating for a deficiency with a flawed solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

I've looked at the idea of a mirror but too many down sides, poor viewing angles, small size so they don't show enough detail, view can get very blurry if there is road buzz or uneven surfaces, they can be next to useless in the rain.

I've investigated a small webcam to mount discreetly on the seat pillar that could be combine with a smartphone to give a large stabilized view with the smartphone on the handlebars. I think this should be possible with newer usb enabled smartphone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Just practice looking behind you at home or on a quiet road, it's really not that hard. Pretend you're an Olympic sprint cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭PerrDub

The only reason I can think of for any cyclist to use mirrors on a bike is if they have a medical reason as to why they can't turn there heads and look behind... other than that, pointless...

Looking behind you by actually turning your head, and even making eye contact establishes an awareness/signal to an approaching car or bike that you are intending to make a move to the right...

As for the webcam / smartphone errr...:eek: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,279 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Does anybody here use Bicycle mirrors.I have been thinking about getting one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

If Mirrors are so useless then why does everything else on the road have them?.

Because it's hard to twist your body and look behind you in a van?

Edit: on the one vehicle with compulsory mirrors that you can look around on, a motorbike, looking around instead of relying on your mirrors is so strongly recommended it's referred to "a lifesaver".

AltAccount wrote: »
    But no different on a motorbike or scooter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

If Mirrors are so useless then why does everything else on the road have them?.

Come on, you know why. Cyclists have a much, much wider field of vision than any other mode of transport. Motorcyclists very much included. No pillars, nothing behind you, helmets are significantly less obstructive. And also you need to keep a view of a much smaller space than if you were driving a van.

Basically, nothing to stop you turning your head around. In the long run, it's a heck of a lot more effective than relying on a little bar-end mirror.

But no different on a motorbike or scooter.

You posted as I edited...

Edit: on the one vehicle with compulsory mirrors that you can look around on, a motorbike, looking around instead of relying on your mirrors is so strongly recommended it's referred to "a lifesaver".
    Having a mirror does not prevent you looking around..I would think the advantage is that you get information from both.For instance say before you turn off at a junction you get some information from your mirror prior to arriving at junction regarding traffic behind then turn around to give final check before turning...this also helps observation of traffic approaching on lane you are going to cross rather than being overly focused on traffic behind.

Having a mirror does not prevent you looking around..I would think the advantage is that you get information from both.For instance say before you turn off at a junction you get some information from your mirror prior to arriving at junction regarding traffic behind then turn around to give final check before turning...this also helps observation of traffic approaching on lane you are going to cross rather than being overly focused on traffic behind.

Sorry, I thought the issue here was that you found it difficult to look around and wanted a mirror to compensate for it, which is vastly different IMHO from being able to look around easily and augmenting that visibility with a mirror.

Mirror or not, unless you have a physical condition, you need to learn to look around properly.

If you're trying to convince me I (or most cyclists) need a mirror, you're barking up the wrong tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

I tried a small one on the end of the drop handlebars and it was useless (no field of vision). I have severely restricted movement in my lower back so looking behind me while seated is impossible however I discovered that if I get out of the saddle and look down by my shoulder works for me. I wonder is the helmet mounted monocle mirror any better.

Sorry, I thought the issue here was that you found it difficult to look around and wanted a mirror to compensate for it, which is vastly different IMHO from being able to look around easily and augmenting that visibility with a mirror.

Mirror or not, unless you have a physical condition, you need to learn to look around properly.

If you're trying to convince me I (or most cyclists) need a mirror, you're barking up the wrong tree.
    Not trying to convince you of anything what on earth gave you the strange idea that I care what you do :eek:..actually it was people who had actually used mirrors and had knowledge of the various types that I was hoping to get replies from..So if you have nothing to offer in that area please just ignore the tread and move on.

actually it was people who had actually used mirrors and had knowledge of the various types that I was hoping to get replies from.

So, you've received feedback about vibration, viewing angle, visibility in the wet etc, as well as some views of people who refuse to use one and why.

What are your thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

I tried a small one on the end of the drop handlebars and it was useless (no field of vision). I have severely restricted movement in my lower back so looking behind me while seated is impossible however I discovered that if I get out of the saddle and look down by my shoulder works for me. I wonder is the helmet mounted monocle mirror any better.

I have heard of some cyclists apparently using a little mirror that attaches to their wrist, but I have absolutely no idea how un/comfortable this might be for general usage. It was mostly in the context of busy city commuting in heavy traffic.

When I'm driving in traffic with a cyclist, I feel far more comfortable when they actually look back before doing something. I'm far more aware of cyclists when driving than the average driver probably is, but that bit of communication helps. When I am cycling, I feel it serves a double purpose - to check what is behind me but also to establish my active presence in the road with traffic behind me, sort of a "I am sharing this road with you" reminder and acknowledgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭schwalbe

I have one of the mirrors that fits on the end of my straight handlebars,it's oval shaped,like if you cut an avocado in half.I can only assume that most of the people commenting against them haven't used them as I can't see any truth in their comments.It's the single best thing I did to ensure my safety on a bike.
    1- It allows me a full view of what is behind me at all times(it isn't a restricted half view like some have said and vibrations aren't an issue),think about this,I know what is behind me all the time and I never have to take my eyes off the road in front of me.I can't see the logic in glancing behind every few secs for a snapshot of what's going on-what if something happens in front of you while you're looking behind,a pedestrian or a car door or a dog or whatever.And what sort of data do you get from a quick look behind you?**** all tbh.
    2- I have come to the conclusion that it's impossible to cycle defensively without it- I no longer get buzzed at all by cars,this is because I have way more information than the average cyclist glancing over their shoulder-I can judge the speed of what's behind me,if it's accelerating or decelerating,is it cautious or aggressive,if I need to give a few wobbles to scare it into behaving how I want it to.Put simply I can control what's behind me to a way higher level when I can see it all the time.I can plan way more efficiently with all the information I have.
    3.Headphones-I have them in blaring all the time,with 100% visual awareness of what's around me at all times I have no need for listening for engines.
    4.Somebody said looking over your shoulder is a good way to get space off drivers-I sway out all over the shop when I see danger from behind,and because I'm doing it without looking behind I believe drivers think I must be crazy and give me tonnes of room,I find many are actually too scared to pass this crazy swaying bastard and wait until they can overtake correctly.
    I bet everyone that says they are no good has never actually used them?
    And yeah,they look silly but then again when you're cruising down a busy road with headphones on and taking control of the road at will without so much a single **** given as to whats behind you-this looks kinda cool,that's what I tell myself anyway.

TL:DR - If you wanna look cool get some nice threads and a nice car/motorbike,if you wanna cycle safely get a mirror

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

ignore the tread

Can't...ignore....

schwalbe wrote: »
    TL:DR - If you wanna look cool get some nice threads and a nice car/motorbike,if you wanna cycle safely get a mirror

If you wanna cycle safely, get a mirror, have your headphones blaring, and deliberately wobble unpredictably to affect other vehicles' behaviour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

I have one of the mirrors that fits on the end of my straight handlebars,it's oval shaped,like if you cut an avocado in half.I can only assume that most of the people commenting against them haven't used them as I can't see any truth in their comments.It's the single best thing I did to ensure my safety on a bike.
    1- It allows me a full view of what is behind me at all times(it isn't a restricted half view like some have said and vibrations aren't an issue),think about this,I know what is behind me all the time and I never have to take my eyes off the road in front of me.I can't see the logic in glancing behind every few secs for a snapshot of what's going on-what if something happens in front of you while you're looking behind,a pedestrian or a car door or a dog or whatever.And what sort of data do you get from a quick look behind you?**** all tbh.
    2- I have come to the conclusion that it's impossible to cycle defensively without it- I no longer get buzzed at all by cars,this is because I have way more information than the average cyclist glancing over their shoulder-I can judge the speed of what's behind me,if it's accelerating or decelerating,is it cautious or aggressive,if I need to give a few wobbles to scare it into behaving how I want it to.Put simply I can control what's behind me to a way higher level when I can see it all the time.I can plan way more efficiently with all the information I have....................................
    Not trying to convince you of anything what on earth gave you the strange idea that I care what you do :eek:..actually it was people who had actually used mirrors and had knowledge of the various types that I was hoping to get replies from..So if you have nothing to offer in that area please just ignore the tread and move on.

Archer 22, I use the bog standard round wing mirror which I bought in Halfords. I found the best position for the mirror was below the right handle grip rather than above as my arm obstructed the vision.

Yes they are extremely useful as Schwalbe has described above, I can't really add anything to his/her post as regards their usefulness. To be forewarned is to be forearmed as nearly all of the relevant traffic on the roads is to the cyclist's rear, and a continuous feed of info can only be to the cyclist's benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

I use one of these on my road bike and thinks it great..
    Got it in Halfords.

It lets you see whats behind and is great if back of the group in group spins for upcoming traffic and also in dark commutes you see lights coming well in advance.

Its also not to obvious and you usually have to point it out to people....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrjP2vPiwUE

Here in halfords...
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_784805_langId_-1_categoryId_212654

Here in use...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vjixvuJ5R4

If you wanna cycle safely, get a mirror, have your headphones blaring, and deliberately wobble unpredictably to affect other vehicles' behaviour?
    Correct(headphones are optional).

Having a mirror also brings the fun back into cycling,glancing behind every few seconds can be quite the hidden stressor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... and I never have to take my eyes off the road in front of me.....
    I'd be interested to know how you check this great mirror if you never take your eyes off the road in front of you! :confused:

Only a cyclist with poor cycling skills will focus on the road in front of them. A good cyclist will engage much more observational activity such as checking traffic from side roads, anticipating the actions of others, glancing behind, reading the road, anticipating danger etc.

I'd be interested to know how you check this great mirror if you never take your eyes off the road in front of you! :confused:

Only a cyclist with poor cycling skills will focus on the road in front of them. A good cyclist will engage much more observational activity such as checking traffic from side roads, anticipating the actions of others, glancing behind, reading the road, anticipating danger etc.
    You really shouldn't be struggling with this concept,it's quite simple and you can see examples of it all around when you know what to look for-when you're in/on a vehicle moving forward it's not advisable to be looking backwards,otherwise things like this happen
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=480_1377104474
    and that is why the drivers of forward moving vehicles utilise mirrors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

We're talking about a brief glance over the shoulder here, not a full locking gaze with the other drivers.

OP, if you want a mirror, get a mirror. I personally prefer to let the drivers know that I'm observing them and that I'm aware of everything around me.

Advertisement