Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Letterbox - your post delivered electronically

Options
  • 25-10-2013 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭

Has anyone heard of Green Letterbox? Seems to be a new Irish startup. I caught wind of it through an ad while browsing boards on my phone earlier.

Basically you sign up and any post you normally receive (bills etc.) will all come through your "green letterbox". Essentially it's cloud storage of all your bills, correspondence, tax letters etc. so that they're all in the same place and you can pay your bills through the service aswell. It's 100% free.

I think it's a really neat idea. Sure many companies offer their own online service where you can log on and see/pay bills but this brings them all into the one site (and hopefully catches a few who wouldn't normally). Plus less letters coming through the door. They don't have a list up of what companies have signed up yet thats the only thing.

Pretty cool anyway I think. I've signed up.

*I am not affiliated with this company at all!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Do they do pizza menus?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

When it comes to bills, I still prefer the fireplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

If only!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Link to their site

It does sound interesting alright, but I get/pay most of my bills electronically as it is. As for letters from the bank etc, it's not the end of the world usually if it takes a day or two for them to arrive.

The only other post I get is deliveries from online shopping and they can't exactly send those to an iPad :)

Security would also concern me. I'd want a lot more info on that. Also what happens if you move?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

No disrespect to the company offering it; it's not a bad idea.

But how depressing is it that this is even a thing? It's been forty years since the first 'e-mail' was sent. It's virtually free, near infinitely faster....and you have to basically fight to get companies to use the obviously better option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

UCDVet wrote: »
    No disrespect to the company offering it; it's not a bad idea.

But how depressing is it that this is even a thing? It's been forty years since the first 'e-mail' was sent. It's virtually free, near infinitely faster....and you have to basically fight to get companies to use the obviously better option.

They'd have to pay out a lot to get a messaging solution set up, along with maintenance.

+plus, I spend enough time in front of a computer in work. if I'm looking over my bills, I don't want to do it concentrating on another screen when at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Electronic mail? Burn the witch!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Is it green because it doesn't use paper or because it's Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Deadly - one more step toward a totally hermit lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

So it's like email.... But.... It's exactly like email.

What a true revolution of modern times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Screw that...if I am being charged extortionatte prices for utilities and stuff like motor tax it makes it slightly less annoying if I know they have to spend the time and small cost of sending me physical letters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

What will people use to make coke wraps or roaches?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Am living in Denmark, where they have a free e-Boks service which does pretty much the same. You can select which post you want to receive electronically - - for example, I get post from my bank, revenue etc. I also get my payslips into my e-Boks account. You select a company from the list and you receive their post in electronic form from then on. ((Of course, it's up to the company themselves to comply with the service. There are over 22000 companies on the Danish one.))

It's really handy. I think most people use it here - I recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I think I'd probably sign up for this. I don't want my post going to my old address after I move, notifying every company you deal with every time you move is a PITA and An Post charge stupid money for mail forwarding. I'd still have to notify the companies at first but never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Irony:

A unique security code has been posted to your house to verify that you do live at the address provided during registration. This verification is necessary for security purposes. Once you receive this code, log back into your green letterbox account, enter the code, and your digital postbox is fully active!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

For normal letter stuff.. why don't the "offending" companies not just send an email then?

Will I be able to download all 180 AA NiMH rechargeable batteries I'm about to order? What do I put in as my address on ebay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

The NSA thought they'd taken a shyte and dropped a gold log when they heard this was gonna catch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

@greenletterbox

Will I be able to download a PDF of the "mail" I receive from my creditor to save or print, (eg ESB), or can I only view it online? I couldn't find that on your site

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BabyGorilla

What about my copy of 'Alive' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

GreenLetterbox.com is about more than just bills though. You can receive all kinds of post that may not have been available online before (hospital appointments, payslips, school reports, you name it)

Noble idea, but it's only prolonging the "misery"

What gets to me is someone is sitting at a computer anyway to
    -print out a letter
    -print an envelope
    -stamp it/ get it franked

Just email it since you are sitting there anyway ? its free more or less ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

It is such an interesting idea and I like it. However, maybe it's just me but I much prefer to actually have the bill in my hand and can look at it rather than staring blankly at a monitor, just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I already have paperless billing from the likes of sky and vodafone plus not recieving paper bank statements. Whats the difference here? Instead of coming straight to me or staying in my account online to view they get sent to this crowd who forward thsm? So they are basically an email ( yes I see the thing above where its not actually sent in an email) forwarding system?

Morortax email reminders now too.

Seems to be just pointlessly adding a middle man that I just took out ( the postal service)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Occam

GreenLetterbox.com is about more than just bills though. You can receive all kinds of post that may not have been available online before (hospital appointments, payslips, school reports

Is the system currently processing any of these types of letter? How many schools and hospitals are signed up? If the answer is none, it makes the whole thing pointless.

Re. Tax letters, I simply don't believe that Revenue have/will participate in this. Are you claiming that they have have? Big issues around the legal implications of demands being posted I would have thought. Not to mention the risk of redirecting mail without even a ppsn as validation

Nice phishing scam ?

Could be anyone

The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .EDU domains and
    Registrars.
    Domain Name: GREENLETTERBOX.COM
    Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
    Updated Date: 2013-03-06 04:40:14
    Creation Date: 2011-12-12 14:25:05
    Registrar Expiration Date: 2014-12-12 14:25:05
    Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
    Registrant Name: Registration Private
    Registrant Organization: Domains By Proxy, LLC
    Registrant Street: DomainsByProxy.com
    Registrant Street: 14747 N Northsight Blvd Suite 111, PMB 309
    Registrant City: Scottsdale
    Registrant State/Province: Arizona
    Registrant Postal Code: 85260
    Registrant Country: United States
    Admin Name: Registration Private
    Admin Organization: Domains By Proxy, LLC
    Admin Street: DomainsByProxy.com
    Admin Street: 14747 N Northsight Blvd Suite 111, PMB 309
    Admin City: Scottsdale
    Admin State/Province: Arizona
    Admin Postal Code: 85260
    Admin Country: United States
    Admin Phone: (480) 624-2599
    Admin Fax: (480) 624-2598
    Admin Email: GREENLETTERBOX.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
    Tech Name: Registration Private
    Tech Organization: Domains By Proxy, LLC
    Tech Street: DomainsByProxy.com
    Tech Street: 14747 N Northsight Blvd Suite 111, PMB 309
    Tech City: Scottsdale
    Tech State/Province: Arizona
    Tech Postal Code: 85260
    Tech Country: United States
    Tech Phone: (480) 624-2599
    Tech Fax: (480) 624-2598
    Tech Email: GREENLETTERBOX.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
    Name Server: NS-1626.AWSDNS-11.CO.UK
    Name Server: NS-1359.AWSDNS-41.ORG
    Name Server: NS-212.AWSDNS-26.COM
    Name Server: NS-923.AWSDNS-51.NET

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

gctest50 wrote: »
    Nice phishing scam ?

Could be anyone
    Woah! Just when you thought a company was legit... They're probably just an Irish NSA type thing... Sigh

Woah! Just when you thought a company was legit... They're probably just an Irish NSA type thing... Sigh

or maybe a coincidence ........

https://twitter.com/mjernas

% Do not remove this notice

domain: greenletterbox.ie
    descr: POSTIT DIRECT LIMITED <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< ( Spotted by Occam , just below this post )
    descr: Body Corporate (Ltd,PLC,Company)
    descr: Discretionary Name
    admin-c: AQK059-IEDR
    tech-c: ABG704-IEDR
    renewal: 20-February-2014
    nserver: ns-1025.awsdns-00.org
    nserver: ns-1699.awsdns-20.co.uk
    nserver: ns-283.awsdns-35.com
    nserver: ns-982.awsdns-58.net
    source: IEDR

person: Marcin Jernas
    nic-hdl: AQK059-IEDR

person: Lets Host Domain Services
    nic-hdl: ABG704-IEDR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Occam

gctest50 wrote: »
    % Do not remove this notice

domain: greenletterbox.ie
    descr: POSTIT DIRECT LIMITED

So this is actually a direct / junk mail company asking the public to fill their names and addresses into their database , without any indication of any companies they will receive communication from? Why the secrecy about the companies signed up?

Nice way to build a list of names, addresses and emails if you are a junk mail company tho .....

You're damn sharp :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I configured a fax machine and a Bulletin Board system (days before the internet) to print emails as they were received (them being rare as hell) in 1987

Still the most useful damn way of dealing with emails, no checking, just an electronic postbox that posted a physical letter onto your office desk within minutes of it being sent.

I should have marketed it.

• Advertisement

MadsL wrote: »

I should have marketed it.

For sure, the amount of businesses that would have loved that to bits back then

Interesting to take guesses at how much you probably held up "progress" by not doing so

Advertisement