Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool Things, Pictures, Media and so forth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

arya3bros.gif?w=725&h=407

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭corkie

x-men-apocalypse-poster-jean-grey-sophie-turner.jpg

Sophie Turner (a.k.a Sansa Stark) playing a young Jean Grey.

Good to see another Game Of Thrones actress getting a role in a film.

Haven't read the whole thread so don't know if this has already been posted.

Edit: She was also interviewed on Two Tube yesterday.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Episode 5 & 6 behind the scenes..... looks cool.

• Advertisement

JYhTTM4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

duploelabs wrote: »
    JYhTTM4.jpg

Context:

Back in season 4 when Margaery and Olenna are choosing necklaces for the Purple Wedding, Margaery remarks that "Perhaps I should let Joffrey choose. [I'll] end up with a string of sparrow heads around my neck."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The similarities between GOT and The Sopranos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

quad_red wrote: »
    Context:

Back in season 4 when Margaery and Olenna are choosing necklaces for the Purple Wedding, Margaery remarks that "Perhaps I should let Joffrey choose. [I'll] end up with a string of sparrow heads around my neck."

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to waste fifty hours of my life watching the whole thing back over again. GRRM had the 'Hodor' punchline in his arse pocket for twenty odd years. I'd love to see what other foreshadows would show up on a rewatch. He's an impressively patient man.

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to waste fifty hours of my life watching the whole thing back over again. GRRM had the 'Hodor' punchline in his arse pocket for twenty odd years. I'd love to see what other foreshadows would show up on a rewatch. He's an impressively patient man.
    I rewatch the whole thing before each new season airs, still noticing new little things that matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Fan made video of Jon's rise to King in the North

In case any of you use the Processing 3 graphics language, have some code:
    size(800, 800);
    background(192,192,96);
    stroke(0,0,0);
    strokeWeight(24);

int s = width/2-100;
    float[] vx = new float[7];
    float[] vy = new float[7];

for (int v = 0; v < 7; v++) {
      float a = float(v) * PI / 3.5;
      vx[v] = s * sin(a);
      vy[v] = -s * cos(a);
      println(v, vx[v], vy[v]);
    }

translate(width / 2, height / 2);
    ellipse(0,0,2*s,2*s);
      int v2=(v+3)%7 ;
      line(vx[v], vy[v], vx[v2], vy[v2]);
    }

Yeah, I'm a nerd ... :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭xper

bnt wrote: »
    In case any of you use the Processing 3 graphics language, have some code:
    size(800, 800);
    background(192,192,96);
    stroke(0,0,0);
    strokeWeight(24);

int s = width/2-100;
    float[] vx = new float[7];
    float[] vy = new float[7];

float a = float(v) * PI / 3.5;
      vx[v] = s * sin(a);
      vy[v] = -s * cos(a);
      println(v, vx[v], vy[v]);
    }

translate(width / 2, height / 2);
    ellipse(0,0,2*s,2*s);
      int v2=(v+3)%7 ;
      line(vx[v], vy[v], vx[v2], vy[v2]);
    }

Yeah, I'm a nerd ... :cool:

Is it bad that I get it just by reading the code? What does that make me?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

For anyone else who wants to test that out: http://www.openprocessing.org/sketch/create

xper wrote: »
    Is it bad that I get it just by reading the code? What does that make me?:confused:
    It makes you a Processing programmer, I suppose. It's a great little language for quick graphics jobs, static like this one or animated.
    Sleepy wrote: »
    For anyone else who wants to test that out: http://www.openprocessing.org/sketch/create
    Oh, cool - didn't think it would work there, since I'm using Processing 3 and they only support Processing 2, but it looks like my code is backwards-compatible. :cool:

I just liked the geometry of that symbol, the way those little "windows" naturally appear. It doesn't look all that ominous ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

There is a brilliant podcast called "Shadow of the Dragon"
    It is done in the style of a parody of Dan Carlin's awesome "Hardcore History" podcasts

The first 3 episodes are up free on Earwolf's soundcloud page:
    https://soundcloud.com/earwolf-presents/hgot-shadow-of-the-dragon-pt-i
    https://soundcloud.com/earwolf-presents/hgot-shadow-of-the-dragon-pt-ii
    https://soundcloud.com/earwolf-presents/hgot-shadow-of-the-dragon-pt-iii

There are a further 5 episodes (IV-VIII) on Howl.FM - they are behind a paywall but use the code "HGOT" to sign up for free months trial..
    Enjoy :cool:

Game of Thrones is nominated for:

Outstanding Drama Series

Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series [ 2 nominations]

Jack Bender, “The Door”
    Miguel Sapochnik, “Battle of the Bastards”
    Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series [2 nominations]

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister
    Kit Harington as Jon Snow
    Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series [3 nominations]

Lena Headey as Cersei Lannister
    Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen
    Maisie Williams as Arya Stark
    Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series – Max von Sydow as the Three-Eyed Raven

Outstanding Sound Editing – “The Door”

Outstanding Sound Mixing -“Battle of the Bastards”

Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series – “Battle of the Bastards,” written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss

Outstanding Special Visual Effects – “Battle of the Bastards”

Outstanding Production Design

Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series

Outstanding Cinematography for a Single Camera Series – “Home”

Outstanding Stunt Coordination for a Drama Series, Limited Series or Movie

Outstanding Hairstyling for a Single Camera Series – “The Door”

Outstanding Makeup (Non-Prosthetic) for a Single Camera Series– “Battle of the Bastards”

Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup for a Series, Limited Series, Movie or Special – “The Door”

Outstanding Costumes for a Period/Fantasy Series, Limited Series or Movie – “The Winds of Winter”

Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Drama Series – [2 nominations]

“Oathbreaker,” Katie Weiland, Editor

“Battle of the Bastards, Tim Porter, ACE, Editor

Outstanding Interactive Experience – Game of Thrones Main Titles 360 Experience

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Game of Thrones is nominated for:

some strange choices - Emilia Clarke has always been awful, and Peter Dinklage has been phoning it in for the last while too

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Surprised Alfie Allen has never gotten a nomination.

goose2005 wrote: »
    some strange choices - Emilia Clarke has always been awful, and Peter Dinklage has been phoning it in for the last while too

It has been Peter Dinkalage most unspectacular season alright-
    Iwan Rheon, Jonathan Pryce and Liam Cunningham all more deserving this season
    Alfie Allen deserved nominee for his performance of Reek in Season 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I've listened to the first three of those "Shadow of the Dragon" podcasts now, and they do a very good job of covering events in the timeline before the start of the show. Some things I wasn't fully aware of e.g. Tywin Lannister's close but rocky relationship with "Mad King" Aerys II Targaryen. The appointment of Jaime to the Kingsguard was even more pivotal an event than I thought.

(Hint: the podcasts are long so Double Speed mode is your friend. ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

bnt wrote: »
    I've listened to the first three of those "Shadow of the Dragon" podcasts now, and they do a very good job of covering events in the timeline before the start of the show. Some things I wasn't fully aware of e.g. Tywin Lannister's close but rocky relationship with "Mad King" Aerys II Targaryen. The appointment of Jaime to the Kingsguard was even more pivotal an event than I thought.

(Hint: the podcasts are long so Double Speed mode is your friend. ;) )

If you liked them then I'd say you'll love Rawrist on youtube. Her videos cover pretty much every major event in ASOIAF lore, particularly the events leading up to Robert rebellion and the rebellion itself. She uses both the show and the books though so if you don't want to know book only info maybe give her a miss..

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Beveloment .... benelovent .... benovel ....

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

http://imgur.com/a/tpAhV

Fascinating photo essay on Sansa's clothes and how they've changed over the seasons. It was emphasised early on - maybe even in the first episode - that Sansa is very good at making clothes, and she continues to make her own outfits through the years, reflecting her status and ambitions. Arya's Needle is a sword, but Sansa's needle (and thread) is no less potent a weapon in her hands.

A professional archer was asked the question: could Ramsay Bolton really have made that shot?
    You know, the one that killed Rickon Stark?
    The answer both surprised and impressed me, with the level of research and detail that went in to just one shot.
    The choice of a Penobscot bow was perfect, and it gets better from there.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Advertisement

Audible is releasing an audiobook of The Art of War by Sun Tzu. The narrator's voice should be familiar:

https://soundcloud.com/audible/the-art-of-war

Advertisement