Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It might well be a fluffy committee. It might well lead to nothing. Which is why it’s our duty as stakeholders of the game to hold them to account.

I am encouraged though. A reversal on the coach was never going to happen. It will not happen before the 6 Nations, is be utterly utterly shocked if it did (would you want to commit to that job when the guy you’re reporting to and his boss don’t even seem to think the job should exist!)

Something important has happened through, Browne had to step in. I don’t think the game will last long under the eye of Eddy or Nucifora, they’ve proven themselves incapable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Adam Griggs new head coach of national team
    Has been Leinster womens coach since 2016 and worked with Leinster as development officer since 2009

Position will then be reviewed post 6 nations in line with IRFU strategic review of all of womens game in Ireland

Ireland Women's 7s squad for the Dubai 7s next week which is the world series opening leg
    Ashleigh Baxter (Cooke RFC /Ulster)
    Claire Boles (Railway Union RFC/Ulster)
    Aoife Doyle (Shannon RFC & Railway Union RFC/Munster)
    Katie Fitzhenry (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)
    Stacey Flood (Railway Union RFC/Leinster)
    Louise Galvin (UL Bohemian RFC/Munster)
    Eve Higgins (Railway Union RFC/Leinster)*
    Lucy Mulhall (Rathdrum RFC)
    Amee-Leigh Murphy-Crowe (Railway Union RFC/Munster)
    Deirbhile Nic a Bhaird (UL Bohemian RFC/Munster)*
    Audrey O'Flynn (Ireland Sevens)
    Hannah Tyrrell (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)
    * Denotes uncapped at this level

Ireland Women's 7s - Dubai 7s Fixtures - Pool C
    Thursday 30th November 2017
    Fiji v Ireland - 12:00pm (local time)/4:00pm (Irish time)
    Canada v Ireland - 3:18pm (local time)/7:18pm (Irish time)
    Ireland v Spain - 5:53pm (local time)/9:53pm (Irish time)

Friday 1st December 2017
    Play-offs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Baxter Fitzhenry and Tyrell were part of the rugby world cup squad. It probably shows some ignorance on my part but I had assumed that there would be more overlap.

Interestingly this year there will be no overlap in dates between the 7s series and the 6 nations. I believe that was an issue in previous years.

I see on the world rugby website that Canada have a 25 woman centrally contracted squad for the world series, the 7s world cup and the commonwealth games. I wonder how many of this squad will actually be used.

I also wonder how many of our players will struggle with day jobs.

The Thursday Friday format is a little odd. Are all world series events on a Thursday Friday or is it just Dubai?

Baxter Fitzhenry and Tyrell were part of the rugby world cup squad. It probably shows some ignorance on my part but I had assumed that there would be more overlap.

Interestingly this year there will be no overlap in dates between the 7s series and the 6 nations. I believe that was an issue in previous years.

I see on the world rugby website that Canada have a 25 woman centrally contracted squad for the world series, the 7s world cup and the commonwealth games. I wonder how many of this squad will actually be used.

I also wonder how many of our players will struggle with day jobs.

The Thursday Friday format is a little odd. Are all world series events on a Thursday Friday or is it just Dubai?
    The 15 a side interprovincials start Saturday week and continue for the following 2 weeks which is why there is little overlap in players for this tournament
    Could be just Dubai that games are Thursday Friday because of pitches/playing same venue as mens tournament.

• Advertisement

Could be just Dubai that games are Thursday Friday because of pitches/playing same venue as mens tournament.

I thought it might be because Friday is the main day of rest in Dubai and various companies do a working week either Sunday to Thursday or Saturday to Wednesday. Even with that I thought it would be ackward for tv in more traditional rugby countries.

I would say you are right though that the men's have top billing at the weekend.

I didn't realise before but we have a women's development in Dubai as well for another competition

Kathy Baker (Blackrock/Leinster)
    Niamh Byrne (Railway Union/Leinster)
    Nicole Carroll (Suttonians/Leinster)
    Jeamie Deacon (Blackrock/Leinster)
    Daisy Earle (Railway Union/Leinster)
    Kim Flood (Railway Union/Leinster)
    Katie Heffernan (Mullingar/Railway Union/Leinster)
    Brittany Hogan (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
    Emily Lane (Mallow/Munster)
    Anna McGann (UCD/Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    Molly Scuffil-McCabe (Garda/Westmanstown/St.Mary's/Leinster)
    Juliet Short (Railway Union/Leinster)

I wonder if the same management team will be running both competitions or if there's two sets of coaches over there.

Womens interpros started today
    Connacht played Munster in the Sportsground. Connacht won 19-15 so beat Munster for first time ever
    Ulster host Leinster in Dromore tomorrow

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The Connacht Munster match was easily one of the most enjoyable matches I've been at in a while.

The Connacht Munster match was easily one of the most enjoyable matches I've been at in a while.

Was there a good crowd? You are the second person I've heard mentioning they were at it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Was there a good crowd? You are the second person I've heard mentioning they were at it.

If say 1000-1500 my grasp of crowds could be well off though.

There were four teams playing at half time and families that took up a lot of that but still was impressive. I walked in on my own and stood in my normal spot and felt very self conscious about being around so many teenage girls so I moved along :D
    Everyone really got into the match Connacht were 10-0 down at half time but really played to their strengths in the 2nd half to win 19-15 Healy made all the difference when she came on really does up the game. Showed why she was capped for Ireland. Connacht front row carried impressively and always made ground and Miller and Dixon were impressive on the wings

Went to Galwegians Highfield out the road instead and kind of regretting it
    If say 1000-1500 my grasp of crowds could be well off though.

There were four teams playing at half time and families that took up a lot of that but still was impressive. I walked in on my own and stood in my normal spot and felt very self conscious about being around so many teenage girls so I moved along :D
    Everyone really got into the match Connacht were 10-0 down at half time but really played to their strengths in the 2nd half to win 19-15 Healy made all the difference when she came on really does up the game. Showed why she was capped for Ireland. Connacht front row carried impressively and always made ground and Miller and Dixon were impressive on the wings
    1000-1500 is very good crowd. Better than virtually all games other than pro games played in the SG.
    Crowd will only have been in the clan so how full did the terrace look as that will give you idea on crowd there?

You could walk through but there were people everywhere you looked if that make sense?

And about the same looking the other way

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭determinations

Ulster 10 Leinster 34 - Match Report

This weekends fixtures:
    Leinster v Connacht, Donnybrook, Saturday, 9th December, 5pm
    Munster v Ulster, Garryowen FC, Saturday, 9th December, 3pm

Interpro decider between Munster and Leinster in Thomond Park tomorrow.
    Munster beat Ulster 32-5 last week while Leinster beat Connacht 17-8
    https://munsterrugby.ie/domestic_news/munster-women-set-interpovincial-decider-2/

Refs for 6 nations named
    Sean Gallagher refs 1 game and is an assistant ref in another. Joy Neville will ref 2 games
    http://officiating.worldrugby.org/index.php?page=appointments&id=59

Connacht beat Ulster 29-7 to finish 3rd
    Munster beat Leinster 11-5 to win the title
    http://www.the42.ie/womens-interprovincial-championship-3754835-Dec2017/

Irish team playing 6 nations warm up against Wales at the moment

Irish beat Wales 27-19
    Also was a round of AIL games on today with round up http://www.the42.ie/ul-bohemians-get-the-better-of-railway-union-in-top-of-the-table-clash-3809808-Jan2018/

• Advertisement

Ireland got beaten 24-0 Tonight. Poor game for the women in green. One up tackling was the big issue letting France make too much easy yards. I think bee finished with a better team than the one that started. Subs improved the lineout but the scrum was so inconsistent it's hard to tell.

Lot to work on going forward for the team. Definitely an improvement from what I saw at the WC

Ireland got beaten 24-0 Tonight. Poor game for the women in green. One up tackling was the big issue letting France make too much easy yards. I think bee finished with a better team than the one that started. Subs improved the lineout but the scrum was so inconsistent it's hard to tell.

Lot to work on going forward for the team. Definitely an improvement from what I saw at the WC
    Lot to work on but plenty of good work on show. Should get a few wins but England will be a step above.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I saw that absolutely awful hype promo in BBC but I was interested enough to try and catch the highlights show.
    They really don’t care about it, 11.55pm, on a Sunday, when the Super Bowl is on.
    Poor stuff from them.

Lot to work on but plenty of good work on show. Should get a few wins but England will be a step above.

I thought defensively it was one up tackles that really cost them and accuracy and pace in attack, not sure if Briggs at 10 really worked.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I saw that absolutely awful hype promo in BBC but I was interested enough to try and catch the highlights show.
    They really don’t care about it, 11.55pm, on a Sunday, when the Super Bowl is on.
    Poor stuff from them.
    When would you have had it then. Is it really going to be same group watching superbowl/ladies rugby so the clash isnt that much an issue.
    I thought defensively it was one up tackles that really cost them and accuracy and pace in attack, not sure if Briggs at 10 really worked.
    Possibly. Where would you have played Briggs then and who had in her place? Sene?

When would you have had it then. Is it really going to be same group watching superbowl/ladies rugby so the clash isnt that much an issue.

Knowing as many people in that specific group as I do... absolutely it is! :pac:

But yeah, it's 2018... Television schedules are so passé, just shtick it on the player.

Possibly. Where would you have played Briggs then and who had in her place? Sene?

Sene isn't an option there for me at that level.

I think it's a long-term problem and Briggs is a very short term solution.

However it's probably a neccesary stop-gap for Griggs given what he's inherited.

It's a shame there isn't better collaboration with the 7s unit because my theory is there's a decent prospect there for a coach who fancies a project, in another world if I was pulling the strings that's where I would have found my long-term solution

15 - Kim Flood (Railway Union/ Leinster)
    14 - Megan Williams (Old Belvedere/ Leinster)
    13 - Katie Fitzhenry (Blackrock College/ Leinster)
    12 - Sene Naoupu (Old Belvedere/ Leinster)
    11 - Alison Miller (Old Belvedere /Connacht)
    10 - Niamh Briggs (UL Bohemian / Munster)
    9 - Ailsa Hughes (Railway Union/ Leinster)
    1 - Lindsay Peat (Railway Union/ Leinster)
    2 - Cliodhna Moloney (Railway Union/ Leinster)
    3 - Fiona Reidy (UL Bohemian/ Munster)
    4- Paula Fitzpatrick (St Mary's/ Leinster)
    5 - Nichola Fryday (Tullamore/ Connacht)
    6 - Anna Caplice (UL Bohemians/ Munster)
    7 - Claire Molloy (Bristol / Connacht)
    8 - Ciara Griffin (Ul Bohemian/ Munster) Captain

Replacements
    16 - Leah Lyons (Highfield/ Munster)
    17 - Laura Feely (Galweigians/ Connacht)
    18 - Ciara O'Connor (Galwegians/ Connacht)
    19 - Orla Fitzsimons (St Mary's/ Leinster)
    20 - Edel McMahon (Galwegians/ Connacht) *
    21 - Nicole Cronin (UL Bohemians/ Munster)
    22 - Michelle Claffey (Blackrock College/ Leinster) *
    23 - Claire McLaughlin (Cooke/ Ulster)

Shocked Mary Healy has been dropped. Had a good appearance of the bench last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

What's their target demographic?
    How many of them would have school, work, and / or college the next day?

Put it at a time when it's accessible to as many people as possible. They've got 3 channels that can be used.

Advertisement