Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dev pulls bad critique from youtube. Too far?

Options
  • 21-10-2013 2:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

Totalbiscuit (The cynical brit) posts a video review in his WTF is series of The Day One: Garrys Incident.

The review was not favorable and was at the top of youtube search for the particular games keywords. Devs took issue with his non positive review and used their powers to have it pulled from youtube causing a copyright strike against Totalbiscuits account. For anyone who doesn't know. 3 of these and your channel is kaput.

It turns out that the dev's actually gave him implied permission to make a video review. Even gave him a game key to do it!

I think it is way out of line and will not purchase anything from this dev in the future. I bought this one and after 5 minutes I realized it was rubbish. Stay away.

Here is totalbiscuits response to all this. He makes some very good points in the video and I am looking forward to the devs response.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfgoDDh4kE0

P.S. I am not a totalbiscuit fan at all and usually find his videos really grind on me but he has his following and I am totally against this from a dev.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I both enjoy his videos and I completely agree with him. The devs trying to pull a veil over negative feedback is just plain bad form.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's also really stupid of them. Surely they know the story will get out, and just make them look terrible, as well as having released a bad game.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Pretty disgraceful actions. I hope it gets picked up my major gaming news outlets. Hope yer man gets his copyright strike undone, it severely limits youtube accounts (15 minute max, no live broadcasts etc) and that'd ruin such a big account. Although he explained why the claim was fraudulent and it's implications I got the idea that he is prepared to accept the strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,720 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The game has already been metabombed

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/day-one-garrys-incident

Steam Mods of the game's discussion forum have also pinned what basically amounts to "we think it was a d*ck move too, but use your indoor rage"

http://steamcommunity.com/app/242800/discussions/0/810938810880057618/

A Dev responds,
    We protected our copyright because Total Biscuit has no right to make advertising revenues with our license.
    Which is cows poo

and someone posted a petition on change.org

https://www.change.org/petitions/valve-corporation-remove-day-one-garry-s-incident-from-the-steam-store#share

The only piece left is for lulzsec or anonymous or Julian Assange to get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

He's completely in the right. I do enjoy his videos sometimes. But if he says critique one more time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Limericks wrote: »
    I bought this one
    Why for the love of god why!? :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Read the positive reviews on Metacritic.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

I find it difficult to share his moral high ground or believe his ambitions for enlightening gamers on software quality when he monetises his videos and describes his practise as a "business" when he operates on a service without hosting costs. At the end of the day if he was paying those hosting costs that the other businesses he likens himself to are, he'd have the grounds to defend his own legal right to content and not leave it to a 3rd party.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's unfortunately far too easy for people to do this on youtube. If a company (not even a big one) makes a copyright claim against an account google will act on it without investigating the validity of the claim.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I like TB`s work, im subbed to his channel, he like others makes great content.
    At times he can grate on me but then again nobody is perfect.
    He is 100% correct in this case and that was a great response from him that will have those silly devs scratching their heads as to how they respond if they bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I stopped being a big time listener of TB back when he was started doing his WoW Radio podcasts Classic WoW to Wrath of the Lich King and have enjoyed him since then.

He is, without a doubt, an opinionated, ego-centric tool. And I love him for it.

He's also completely right in this scenario. Having a video removed because of the nonsense claim that that he infringed copyright is just complete nonsense.

I'd already seen a few reviews of this game and few are positive in any real way. Hopefully this guys actions completely ruin his rep and we never see or hear from him again.

From everything I've seen about this game, it's completely and utterly bugged. Have not seen the TotalBiscuit one, as I've no idea who he is, but I have watched the humorous BirgirPal one. If you make a game as riddled with bugs as that one is, then surely you deserve bad reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Could he not host the videos himself? I don't think Google will change it's polices based on isolated incidents like this as they'd probably make a up less than 0.001% of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

He is free to use any of the other hosting platforms that don't use this strike option. Build his own site and publish there.

He came across really bad in the whole thing. Trying to make out that he makes the videos to protect the consumer and not to just make money.

I have no problem with him making money just be honest about it. Admit you attacks people's revenue stream to make money for yourself and you are not some consumer white knight.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

This is something TB's been fighting against before - he won't review Sega games anymore because they hit a massive amount of YouTubers with DMCA notices.

It's a pretty shoddy abuse of the system and a really poor excuse saying "he's not allowed to make money off our stuff" when making this sort of content and living off the ad revenue is exactly what he does - it's his job and for anyone to expect him to not do that after having been sent the code to do it is a mong. He also runs a professional Starcraft 2 team, but they don't really make any money from what he and his wife have said before (she recently stepped down as the team's manager).

I wouldn't mind, but he's not terribly difficult to get on side, you make a public note to him and anyone else who was sent the review code and who thought it was awful and say "well tell us what needs fixing, lets work with you and your fans to get a proper beta sorted" and then it's all back on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

He is free to use any of the other hosting platforms that don't use this strike option. Build his own site and publish there.

He came across really bad in the whole thing. Trying to make out that he makes the videos to protect the consumer and not to just make money.

I have no problem with him making money just be honest about it. Admit you attacks people's revenue stream to make money for yourself and you are not some consumer white knight.

The thing is though, TB openly admits that they make money from the ad revenue when people visit their Youtube page.

They don't make any money directly from the game they review, rather the banner ads that appear on the side of the page. This is actively encouraged by youtube, and is no different to how a magazine works.

Companies will pay a magazine X amount of money for ad space, especially on it's cover reviews and main articles.

grizzly wrote: »
    Could he not host the videos himself? I don't think Google will change it's polices based on isolated incidents like this as they'd probably make a up less than 0.001% of cases.

Of course he could but he'd have to pay for it himself then which would hit his wallet. He'd rather just continue with his entitlement at the operation of someone elses service.
    Shiminay wrote: »
    This is something TB's been fighting against before - he won't review Sega games anymore because they hit a massive amount of YouTubers with DMCA notices.

SEGA's reasoning was those particular high ranking videos interfering with their official website rankings and their own business as a result. They're well within their rights to remove interfering copyrighted material and wasn't for censorship reasons.
    It's entirely hypocritical of him to condemn them for trying to promote their own products as much as they can given what he does. His campaign is entirely geared towards protecting a livelihood he very much enjoys rather than the campaign for free speech he'd like people to believe it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

SmurfX wrote: »
    SEGA's reasoning was those particular high ranking videos interfering with their official website rankings and their own business as a result. They're well within their rights to remove interfering copyrighted material and wasn't for censorship reasons.

Sega DMCA'd videos with no copyrighted material because of its ranking. Its shouldnt be within there rights to DMCA videos from channels that have written consent from sega to publish this material.

Maybe sega should do what every other channel has to do and advertise there videos instead of abusing DMCA to takedown the videos and channels above it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

He is 100% right and he does fight for the right things.

You might like or not him, but he is right. That developer goes in to **** list for me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

He openly states he makes money from this - it's literally his job

So he's pointing out how this affects him and the flaw in the current system

Getting 3 strikes will effectively put him out of business on Youtube - TB can be a bit of a pre-Madonna on all things internet but in this case he's right, the games dev is clearly in the wrong

Not entirely sure of what alternative platforms there are, but it's highly doubtful they are easy to transition to and keep that audience/revenue

It's clear that the game is atrocious and there appears to be attempts to put up fake reviews.. past experience shows how the gaming community reacts to this kind of behaviour.. pitchforks..

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Not entirely sure of what alternative platforms there are, but it's highly doubtful they are easy to transition to and keep that audience/revenue

Revenue is there if you can pull it off but the biggest block is the traffic youtube gets. if you build your audience there you usually build it from people already on youtube.hosting on other sites mean they have to go out of their way to view your stuff

Youtube wont change its policy until someone huge gets taken down i.e Pewdiepie, yogcast before they realise its affecting their ad revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

It looks like the devs are backing down now.
    http://kotaku.com/studio-accused-of-blocking-youtube-vid-over-criticism-1448796126

"We contacted Wild Games for comment, and were told by "Stephane" that, "after seeing all the negative impact today we decided to withdraw our complaint to YouTube."

NTMK wrote: »
    Sega DMCA'd videos with no copyrighted material because of its ranking. Its shouldnt be within there rights to DMCA videos from channels that have written consent from sega to publish this material.

Maybe sega should do what every other channel has to do and advertise there videos instead of abusing DMCA to takedown the videos and channels above it

They made a request and youtube approved it. Youtube just don't want that sort of hassle so usually cave, the general problem with relying on a 3rd party to defend your business interests. It's not a scandal.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

YouTube are like Boards in that they provide a platform and don't want the hassle of being stuck in the middle of 2 arguing parties, one of which is using it's platform. It makes sense for them to have a blanket rule and approach for these sorts of issues.

I just watched the video that TB posted. It's clear to see his law degree training coming out in that, he makes points and supports said points with evidence in a very methodical manner :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

NTMK wrote: »
    And he got the DMCAs removed by Youtube; how ever Sega now lost out further revenue by the fact TB refuses to do anything with them.

Shiminay wrote: »
    YouTube are like Boards in that they provide a platform and don't want the hassle of being stuck in the middle of 2 arguing parties, one of which is using it's platform. It makes sense for them to have a blanket rule and approach for these sorts of issues.

I dont mind the takedown system given youtubes size its the abuse of the system that needs to be curbed. Abusers of the system should be blocked from using it.

The appeal system is also a pain in the hole if youre not a huge channel like TB's.

Nody wrote: »
    And he got the DMCAs removed by Youtube; how ever Sega now lost out further revenue by the fact TB refuses to do anything with them.

He did, a lot of channels didnt though and sega still havent apologised for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Youtube changed the appeal process last year to reduce abuse like this. As far as I know, under the new system he has two options.
    Abide by the takedown or

Appeal. Then the content owners have to either back down on the complaint or take it to the DMCA to file a formal complaint under its process. They'd be pretty stupid in this case to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

TB's vid: "This video is no longer available: The Day One Garry's Incident Incident" has prob got more likes than the original video would have got views.

It's not new for a Dev to write false reviews on metacritic.
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/day-one-garrys-incident
    "Live to ride" had a few initial (10)s from new single game-review users, but in fairness to that game's Dev they didn't pull down negative videos. I enjoyed watching the full playthrough to find out what happened in that story.

Anyway, Wild Game Studio should pull the game, and if the studio isn't now broke, finish developing, then ask TB to review before relaunch. But with the way they've handled this, the community will not forget.

Advertisement