Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ultimate survival skills.....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

duncli1628 wrote: »
    You're right of course. Water is top priority in survival situation even before food. But can I hazard an opinion here, in that the very top priority is not to get hurt e.g. breaking a leg, twisting an ankle etc. coz that'll minimize mobility & therefore diminishing survival. My 2cents.:o

...would have solved your water problem?

What was used as deflector? Interwoven branches/foliage?

Want to say thank you for sharing your experience here. Appreciate that!:D

Your right but keeping injury free is not something you would be actively looking for if you know what I mean. Of course you minimise risk all the same.

With regards the rain, in Ireland, chances are you will come across a stream or fast flowing water somewhere. What advantages rain gives in providing drinking water, for me is totally diminished by the effects of you being soaked to the bone. I haven't experienced a worse morale sapper than the rain. Couple that with the fact it can lead to hypothermia I'd much rather it to be not raining and a bit more difficult to find water. Hypothermia is extremely scary, having experienced it twice last year, even in controlled conditions, it's rather unpleasant! Beyond the obvious fact your body starts to shut down, it's what it does to your mind that scared me the most.

A heat deflector can be made out of logs, branches with broad leaves woven, or what I was lucky to find on that exercise, a sheet of tin roofing. Anything and nearly everything you can find dumped or washed up can be used to aid survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 duncli1628

With regards the rain, in Ireland, chances are you will come across a stream or fast flowing water somewhere. What advantages rain gives in providing drinking water, for me is totally diminished by the effects of you being soaked to the bone. I haven't experienced a worse morale sapper than the rain. Couple that with the fact it can lead to hypothermia I'd much rather it to be not raining and a bit more difficult to find water. Hypothermia is extremely scary, having experienced it twice last year, even in controlled conditions, it's rather unpleasant! Beyond the obvious fact your body starts to shut down, it's what it does to your mind that scared me the most..

Good point! Absolutely escaped me! You're right of course, hypothermia is a killer, as we see even now happening in the US. Being wet is supposed to suck the warmth out of us 25 times faster than cold air!
    ...having experienced it twice last year, even in controlled conditions, it's rather unpleasant!

Can't help but guess you're military or something like that, from all the things you went through.:)
    it's what it does to your mind that scared me the most..

Don't think I could withstand something like that!:(

Since no one is interested in this thread, I guess maybe I'll try keeping it alive just in case someone interested might stumble upon it! Anyway, have started watching new series - "Manhunt". Pretty exciting. Ex Navy SEAL against real task force trained to track and capture. First episode - in Africa against anti-poaching personnel. Objective was to cross nature undetected to extraction point at precise time. The "hunters" could really track! Very quick, very efficient! Also, great danger from real life, wild predators.

"Manhunt" - very exciting. Sometimes, he(Joel Lambert) gets caught too, which shows it's not set up to make him look good. The episode in Poland with the border guards for example, he was very close but they were standing right on his extraction point. Nothing much he could do. The trick he used, hiding underneath a moving truck was something out of the movies. Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Where Manhunt is a good program its off topic for this thread please use this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057141513
    Keep the threads on topic Please

• Advertisement
Advertisement