Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need help

Options
  • 18-10-2013 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice. Basically my husband was injured in work 4 weeks ago. He was in a serious car crash. Anyway we applied for injury benefit but it has not come through yet. We have been collecting his wages weekly since d accident but today the boss refused to pay. I understand legally they don't have to but we where relying on that money. As it stands we hv 4 euro until the illness benefit comes through. I called to citizens advice today, and they out me in touch with the st VDP. They said they would call me back but as of yet there is no contact. I have had to leave my 2 children with my parents tonight as we have no shopping in. We hv 3.50 on our prepay power electricity and I'm at my wits end. Has anyone out there any advice. All bills r up to date, it's literally a bit of help I need. Shud I go to a loan shark for a short term loan, is there such a thing? Sorry for the long post, I'm at my wits end

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

suelaw wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm looking for some advice. Basically my husband was injured in work 4 weeks ago. He was in a serious car crash. Anyway we applied for injury benefit but it has not come through yet. We have been collecting his wages weekly since d accident but today the boss refused to pay. I understand legally they don't have to but we where relying on that money. As it stands we hv 4 euro until the illness benefit comes through. I called to citizens advice today, and they out me in touch with the st VDP. They said they would call me back but as of yet there is no contact. I have had to leave my 2 children with my parents tonight as we have no shopping in. We hv 3.50 on our prepay power electricity and I'm at my wits end. Has anyone out there any advice. All bills r up to date, it's literally a bit of help I need. Shud I go to a loan shark for a short term loan, is there such a thing? Sorry for the long post, I'm at my wits end

Please don't go to a loan shark, they are leeches that will bleed you dry!

Can you go to your community welfare officer first thing Monday morning. Other than that I can't think of anything to do over the weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Tmeos

That sounds so stressful but try not to worry too much, it's temporary you'll get sorted soon. Have you been on to your community welfare officer they are normally based in your local health centre and can help with emergency welfare when needed. Other than that can you borrow of friends/family rather than loan sharks? If it's just a short term thing I'm sure people will understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭suelaw

Please don't go to a loan shark, they are leeches that will bleed you dry!

Can you go to your community welfare officer first thing Monday morning. Other than that I can't think of anything to do over the weekend!

We went there today but because the claim for injury benefit has been approved there is nothing they can do. The supplementary welfare payment won't kick in with an ongoing payment. Thanks for ur help

Do you guys think the svdp will get back to me this late. It was 3pm today when they said someone would call me

Do you guys think the svdp will get back to me this late. It was 3pm today when they said someone would call me

Id imagine they work at weekends aswell.

• Advertisement

Oh fingers crossed they do. I'll keep saying my prayers. Family are not in a position to help, this is definitely our last resort. We have thought through all angles. Very annoying that the husband did absolutely nothing wrong yet we r the ones to pay. He was hit head on by a drunk driver driving on d wrong side of d road, while he was delivering parts for his company, in the company van

Oh fingers crossed they do. I'll keep saying my prayers. Family are not in a position to help, this is definitely our last resort. We have thought through all angles. Very annoying that the husband did absolutely nothing wrong yet we r the ones to pay. He was hit head on by a drunk driver driving on d wrong side of d road, while he was delivering parts for his company, in the company van
    The boss sounds like a right bolex to leave your family in this position!

That's my opinion too. He was at our wedding 6 months ago and the hubby is working there a long time. D hubby was told at the time of the crash to take a legal case against the job for his injuries and out of loyalty he didn't. Worse fool him now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

That's my opinion too. He was at our wedding 6 months ago and the hubby is working there a long time. D hubby was told at the time of the crash to take a legal case against the job for his injuries and out of loyalty he didn't. Worse fool him now

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, and I hope the SVP contact u over the weekend, perhaps u could call them again in the morning? I'm sure your family could even give you a pack of soup and spuds or something so you won't go hungry? And as far as I'm aware the pre-pay electricity won't cut u off at the weekend? Please try don't go to a loan shark, it will be a lot harder in the long run.

In regards to your husband not taking legal action against the company, he could still well do that, and if his boss won't look after him then maybe he should?

m'lady wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation, and I hope the SVP contact u over the weekend, perhaps u could call them again in the morning? I'm sure your family could even give you a pack of soup and spuds or something so you won't go hungry? And as far as I'm aware the pre-pay electricity won't cut u off at the weekend? Please try don't go to a loan shark, it will be a lot harder in the long run.

In regards to your husband not taking legal action against the company, he could still well do that, and if his boss won't look after him then maybe he should?
    Thanks for that. I think the loan shark is a bad way to go. Hopefully it won't come to that. Thank god d prepay won't cut us off. We won't starve thank fully, we hv odds in the freezer lol. It's more annoying that we are stuck like this. We usually hv a bit of money to enjoy after bills etc every week. The hubby works hard and goes above and beyond for his employer. If they had let us know last week that this would happen we cud hv budgeted better. Thankfully all d usual bills r paid. No milk r bread for us this weekend. We just pray the injury benefit will b there on monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Your husband should consider taking legal action against the drunk driver - he may be advised that it's not really the employers fault. Proper legal advice is what you need in due course.

Don't go to a loan shark. Keep warm and dry with lots of layers of clothes. See what you can get out of the kitchen cupboard - you might have a tin of soup or a bit of pasta there to make. Maybe friends might have some food like that to give you?

SVP work weekends. If they don't come back to you tonight give them another call tomorrow.

I hope things pick up for you soon.

Your husband should consider taking legal action against the drunk driver - he may be advised that it's not really the employers fault. Proper legal advice is what you need in due course.

Don't go to a loan shark. Keep warm and dry with lots of layers of clothes. See what you can get out of the kitchen cupboard - you might have a tin of soup or a bit of pasta there to make. Maybe friends might have some food like that to give you?

SVP work weekends. If they don't come back to you tonight give them another call tomorrow.

I hope things pick up for you soon.
    Thanks. Unfortunately d drunk driver didn't have tax r insurance, he was however arrested at the scene. I know it's not d employers fault as such but it's not really our fault either. Yet we r suffering. Thanks for the advice. I will try call them again in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Thanks. Unfortunately d drunk driver didn't have tax r insurance, he was however arrested at the scene. I know it's not d employers fault as such but it's not really our fault either. Yet we r suffering. Thanks for the advice. I will try call them again in the morning

That's what the motor insurers bureau of Ireland are for. Contact the personal injuries board / a solicitor.

Anyway that's separate to your immediate query, I hope you get sorted tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭magicman88

Sdvp is for a long term problem if u are homeless and broke not for people waiting on welfare and after a week or two get on to social welfare

magicman88 wrote: »
    Sdvp is for a long term problem if u are homeless and broke not for people waiting on welfare and after a week or two get on to social welfare

Thanks for the reply. I hope you never ever find yourself in this situation and from my first post we have been waiting on this payment for 4 weeks now, not a week r two

Haven't heard such rubbish in a long time! SVP use their discretion in each individual case, and in this situation I would think they would help the OP and her family. This woman did not post her issue to have such a condescending response, life is hard enough for her right now I'm sure.

OP please call them again in the morning if you haven't received a call from them.
    Also could the community welfare officer not offer you SWA (supplementary welfare allowance) until your payment comes in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

God I hope it gets sorted soon. Where are you based? I would hope someone on boards who lives locally could get you a bottle of milk and bread

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The boss sounds like a right bolex to leave your family in this position!

On fairness to him times are tough and he mightn't be in a position to pay.

What about insurance surly he is covered by his employers insurance or through car insurance I know the pay out for loss if earnings.

bp wrote: »
    God I hope it gets sorted soon. Where are you based? I would hope someone on boards who lives locally could get you a bottle of milk and bread

I asked the OP on a pm same question as I would have got them a few bits but they are nowhere near me unfortunately :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

absolutely not true. Yes they help long term but they also help short term needs too. A friend got €50 Dunnes (I think) food vouchers once to help tie her over. It's up to them. Please contact them again. Hopefully you only need it for a short time! You can pay them back by donating to the food appeal at Christmas if you're back on your feet!
    I've also no problem buying a few neccessities if you want to pm where you live.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for your messages and support. Svdp called me at 8.30 this morning. They are going to try send someone out to see us today. Thanks for all your kind offers

ted1 wrote: »
    On fairness to him times are tough and he mightn't be in a position to pay.

What about insurance surly he is covered by his employers insurance or through car insurance I know the pay out for loss if earnings.

I assumed they wud b covered through insurance but apparently not. Is there a way I can find this info out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

All insurers pay into an uninsured drivers fund for this situation, you guys should get in touch with the motor insurers bureau of Ireland. It's not as cut and dried as 'the other driver didn't have insurance, tough luck you'

http://www.mibi.ie/

[edit] you guys possibly should talk to a solicitor also, if the accident was on work time I'm not so sure an employer can just wash their hands of the whole situation

Well I am in the Dublin area is you need anything

All insurers pay into an uninsured drivers fund for this situation, you guys should get in touch with the motor insurers bureau of Ireland. It's not as cut and dried as 'the other driver didn't have insurance, tough luck you'

http://www.mibi.ie/

[edit] you guys possibly should talk to a solicitor also, if the accident was on work time I'm not so sure an employer can just wash their hands of the whole situation

Thanks for that, I'll read through it now. I don't think we can talk to a solicitor as the company are using for the damage to the vehicle so I don't think we can too. And d hubby is afraid if he goes to a solicitor he will lose his job

bp wrote: »
    Well I am in the Dublin area is you need anything

Thanks for your offer but I am in Wicklow. Hopefully we'll get sorted soon

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mikros

Thanks for that, I'll read through it now. I don't think we can talk to a solicitor as the company are using for the damage to the vehicle so I don't think we can too. And d hubby is afraid if he goes to a solicitor he will lose his job

Please have a careful read of the MIBI site as above.

The MIBI will compensate your husband as he was involved in a collision with an uninsured driver. This is totally separate from his employer seeking damages for the van. Your husband will be entitled to general damages as a result of his injuries and also compensation for the loss of earnings for his time off work. The process can take some time but will come through eventually. You might consider speaking with a solicitor or to the legal aid board for professional advice if you are unsure how to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭magicman88

Thanks for the reply. I hope you never ever find yourself in this situation and from my first post we have been waiting on this payment for 4 weeks now, not a week r two

Note to self do not leave phone unattended around friends they seem to like writing things on this when I do apologies and hope u get sorted I'd really chase after community welfare officer too

Well I can travel down to you if you are stuck....I hope it gets sorted soon

• Advertisement

Hey everyone. The svdp called and gave me 50 in dunnes vouchers. Thank you all do much for all ur kind words and offers of support. Fingers crossed the proper payment cones through soon. Thanks again

Advertisement