Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kellys Lounge Ongar Closed

Options
  • 17-10-2013 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Noticed earlier this evening that Kelly's Lounge in Ongar was closed. Sign was on the door Closed until further notice. Anyone know if its gone for good

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dicky82

long established pubs in D15 are finding it hard to keep foot fall up, I'm not surprised by this. was only in a few times but found it an odd place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

not a good sign! The few times I was there, it was always nearly deserted and I wonder how it managed to make a profit. I guess we can't confirm yet if it's actually closed for good but personally, I'm disappointed to see any business shut even if it wasn't the type of bar I would frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Don't think its closed for good.
    They only recently bought out the lease on the place and there is a skip outside with a some wood fittings and furniture.
    If I had to make a guess, maybe the place got flooded in the recent rain or plumbing issue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've heard a rumour about rent not being paid, but if its a case of them buying out the lease then obviously that makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

They only refurbished upstair recently There was talk of a small kitchen downstairs aswell.could be work going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Signage on the building has been removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 thegeekyjay

Twizzler wrote: »
    Signage on the building has been removed.

Well thats that then, Guess its gone then :mad::(:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

I think its getting a new kitchen in and being renamed,Apparently its getting a brand new relaunch because of the food coming in..

Hopefully true..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Kev. wrote: »
    I think its getting a new kitchen in and being renamed,Apparently its getting a brand new relaunch because of the food coming in..

Hopefully true..

Dont toy with me Kev!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Its name is changing to something like the Ongar inn, same owner, and a carvery is going in downstairs.

Back open before crimbo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 thegeekyjay

Well that's good news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I noticed yesterday the upstairs lights were on. I took it as a good sign - unless that's not part of the pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

robertxxx wrote: »
    Its name is changing to something like the Ongar inn, same owner, and a carvery is going in downstairs.

Back open before crimbo.

Its not the same owner..he's gone. I dont think its going to be the ongar inn either...heared its meant to be open by the end of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rec27

new owner is relative of the old owner. open this coming monday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

A lot of different stories. Anyone know anything with any certainty?

rec27 wrote: »
    new owner is relative of the old owner. open this coming monday
    I've heard the exact same a week ago about the new owner.

A carvery would be a great addition esp on those lazy Sundays you don't feel like turning on the cooker

I see the chipper is now simply known as Ongar takeaway. New mgt yet again??

Someone posted in another thread that a new name has gone over the door of Kellys. It's now called Cu Chullains Bar and Grill. I wish them the best of luck and I look forward to checking out their food offering. Anyone who gets to try out the bar and food, please share your experience, good or bad!

Opening the 13 dec.. Kitchen just went in

Previous post was a bit vague I apologise. I was chatting to one of the lads doing the work inside.thats where I got this date.
    I'm looking forward to it opening again I use to love a sneaky pint after doing the shopping

• Advertisement

Job ads in their windows seeking experienced kitchen/waiting/bar staff.

They should really have more publicity about their opening, eg online presence such as a Facebook page with a countdown feed and updates to generate interest, posters in their windows etc unless they want a soft opening and plan a big publicity launch later?

The Paddocks is an excellent example of building a great online presence. Plus full marks to their outdoor xmas display this year- very festive! The Little Pace shopping area in general is very festive looking this year. I'm disappointed with Ongar's main street. Not a hint of Christmas about!

Has anyone heard anything about when the pub will re-open? I passed it earlier and it didn't look like much was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭Polar101

Twizzler wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything about when the pub will re-open? I passed it earlier and it didn't look like much was happening.

Just hoping they won't put up a sign saying 'opening soon', that tends to mean a couple of years around these parts.

I'd have to say I never once visited Kelly's Lounge - it was always either closed, or the crowd outside made me feel like going somewhere else. Hoping the new pub will not be like that.

Fire officer wasn't happy with something so they didn't get sign-off to re-open until the issues are resolved.

ongarite wrote: »
    Fire officer wasn't happy with something so they didn't get sign-off to re-open until the issues are resolved.

Anyone hear anything about how this is progressing? Doesn't look like there's much sign of life in the building these days.

31 of Jan is the day I've being told to sign off on licence.
    I'm not to familiar with the process of exactly what happens. I was told that it has something to with a judge and court and everything being approved

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to having it open & checking it out.

Same here
    I use to enjoy winding down reading the paper..the impression I'm getting is that they are going for a similar vibe to the paddocks. Which will be tough to beat the paddocks has built a great customer base

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I think the Paddocks has improved in leaps and bounds the past year or so, fair play to the new people in there running it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Arciphel wrote: »
    I think the Paddocks has improved in leaps and bounds the past year or so, fair play to the new people in there running it.

Yes food has improved a lot.

Pity about the choice of beers as they only have the bog standard stuff.

Advertisement