Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Constitutional Convention][8][2 Nov 2013] The Offence Of Blasphemy

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

drkpower wrote: »
    But you haven't done anything to actually convince anyone that the CRG, populated by fairly knowledgable and experienced practitioners, are wrong and you are right.
    That's because i haven't engaged with it.

I don't think people win arguments by their public reputations. I have made some pretty extensive posts on the subject here, and I'm not really interested in responding to someone who lazily yawns "the constitutional review group disagrees, and they had 7 SCs, or whatever". That's not an argument. but don't let it stop you. This is getting monothematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

That's because i haven't engaged with it.

I don't think people win arguments by their public reputations. I have made some pretty extensive posts on the subject here, and I'm not really interested in responding to someone who lazily yawns "the constitutional review group disagrees, and they had 7 SCs, or whatever". That's not an argument. but don't let it stop you. This is getting monothematic.

I don't think we can ignore the views of bodies like the CRG. But, yes, you are right to say that it is conceivable that you could create an argument that would be more convincing than their conclusions. But you haven't. Most particularly, you haven't be enable to demonstrate that the rights recognised in the cases to which you have referred would not have been recognised (a) if the preamble didn't exist or (b) if the preamble was rejigged such that the constitution derived from the people rather than god.

There's no point in blaming me for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

@Cody although I don't really agree with your arguments, depending on how my table swings, I may use your points and play Devils Advocate.

/hanging out in the hotel bar, sipping JD.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Good article in the IT today highlighting how useless the current blasphemy section is: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/blasphemy-offence-a-dead-letter-constitutional-convention-told-1.1582160

I think there without doubt has to be some amendment made. Obviously my preference is towards complete removal of blasphemy as an offence, but if it must stay, then the language used in that section has to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

results via jane suiter https://twitter.com/JaneSuit/status/396979286185623552/photo/1
    BYJajrAIAAAK5X6.jpg

incitement to hatred in the constitution really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm more disappointed that 49% were in favour of legislation on blasphemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

That's disappointing. The current toothless blasphemy law should go but replacing it with an actual incitement to hatred offence? I thought the constitution convention would try gain freedoms not curtail free expression. I wish Dev had just copied the US 1st amendment word for word.

Sad day when one citizen wishes to silence another.

<pedant> It's incitement to RELIGIOUS hatred<\pedant>

Not all of us agreed with this clause at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

RangeR wrote: »
    <pedant> It's incitement to RELIGIOUS hatred<\pedant>

Not all of us agreed with this clause at all.

Isn't that basically blasphemy by another name. Shame but it seems to me that the convention has basically voted for keeping the status quo and renaming it

P_1 wrote: »
    Isn't that basically blasphemy by another name. Shame but it seems to me that the convention has basically voted for keeping the status quo and renaming it

To be honest, no it's not. Blasphemy is not actually defined anywhere.

For those that wanted to keep it [and I am not one of them], some just believed in it. Some said [privately] that if it's not causing any harm, why take it out?

You may not like the result. I don't like the result. However, the result was by way of vote by a representative [spread not mandate, obviously] of the population. It IS what the majority of people want.

We were not allowed to discuss the wider subject of separation of Church and State [preamble, religious references etc] however, we have it as an option for Any other Amendments in Feb.

I urge you to come to the roadshows. I believe the first two in Cork and Galway were dominated by "rent a crowds" of various interest groups.

• Advertisement

the convention may be the place to have what do you call them, sense making, double checking questions, that are used in polls, to check if the people understand what they are calling for

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It'll be the usual Irish thing, where some over the top guard will arrest some poor sod for 'blasphemy" and then everyone will be "oh how terrible, could he not just have ignored what he said". An Irish solution to an Irish (made) problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

They're discussing this on Vincent Browne tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nodin wrote: »
    "In the Name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom
    is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all
    actions both of men and States must be referred,

We, the people of Éire,
    Humbly acknowledging all our obligations to our
    Divine Lord, Jesus Christ, Who sustained our fathers
    through centuries of trial,

Gratefully remembering their heroic and
    unremitting struggle to regain the rightful
    independence
    of our Nation

And seeking to promote the common good, with
    due observance of Prudence, Justice and Charity, so
    that the dignity and freedom of the individual may be
    assured, true social order attained, the unity of our
    country restored, and concord established with other
    nations,

Do hereby adopt, enact, and give to ourselves this
    Constitution."
    http://archive.constitution.ie/reports/ConstitutionofIreland.pdf

Not only would I get rid of all that religious dogma, I'd also remove the "800 years" reference/inference as well - it's another antiquity we can do without, especially as we were (surprisingly and yet reassuringly) so grown-up about it last year when the Queen dropped by.

But the above does serve to highlight just how in need of rewriting this document is considering the first two paragraphs would have us on bended knee swearing loyalty to an organisation that robbed (by preaching poverty while simultaneously seeking donations to one of the wealthiest organisations on the planet) and abused generations of the citizens that same document is designed to protect, and stunted the social growth of our country for decades.

Reform can't come soon enough IMO.

eMail in [a few days ago]. Draft attached. Happy reading.
    ‘afternoon all,

Apologies for the delay, but attached please find the draft report of our meeting to discuss the removal of blasphemy from the constitution.......as always, I’d welcome views, suggestions and amendments......I’d like to get it published next week, if possible, so if you could get back to me by the 20th (next Monday), I’d be grateful.......

The Steering Group are meeting on Weds to make the arrangements for our Dáil Reform meeting, so I’ll be in touch again towards the end of the week........

Kindest regards,

the full annoucement

CONVENTION ON THE CONSTITUTION PUBLISHES REPORT ON REMOVAL OF THE OFFENCE OF BLASPHEMY FROM CONSTITUTION
    https://www.constitution.ie/NewsDetails.aspx?nid=c3da154f-3e87-e311-877e-005056a32ee4

the report https://www.constitution.ie/AttachmentDownload.ashx?mid=b96d3466-4987-e311-877e-005056a32ee4

https://www.constitution.ie/AttachmentDownload.ashx?mid=b37871b4-3d87-e311-877e-005056a32ee4 press release
    CONVENTION ON THE CONSTITUTION PUBLISHES REPORT ON
    REMOVAL OF THE OFFENCE OF BLASPHEMY FROM
    CONSTITUTION
    SIXTH REPORT OF THE CONVENTION FORMALLY LAID BEFORE
    HOUSES OF OIREACHTAS
    Monday, 27 January 2014:

The Convention of the Constitution has today Monday, 27th of January published its report on the removal of the offence of blasphemy from the Constitution. The report recommends that the offence of blasphemy is removed and replaced with a new general provision to include a prohibition on incitement to religious hatred. The
    report also recommends creating a new set of detailed legislative provisions to include incitement to hatred on a statutory footing.
    The recommendations of the report, which has been formally submitted to the Houses of the Oireachtas, will be considered by the Government who have undertaken to respond within four months.
    The Convention of the Constitution considered the removal of the offence of blasphemy from the Constitution in November 2013. Members of the Convention heard presentations by academics and legal experts on the blasphemy provision, covering its origins and historical context, its development over the years, what it was intended to do and how it operated in Ireland and how it relates to the existing legislation, specifically the Defamation Act 2009.
    Members also heard evidence from various interest groups on either side of the issue including Atheist Ireland, the Humanist Association, the Irish Council of Civil Liberties, and the Islamic Cultural Centre of Ireland.
    The report can be downloaded at www.constitution.ie
    Speaking today the Chairman of the Convention of the Constitution Mr. Tom Arnold said, “Today’s report is the sixth report that the Convention has laid before the Houses of the Oireachtas. I would like to take this opportunity to commend the members of the Convention for the commitment they showed to the discussion and I look forward to the response of the Government within 4 months”.

the report https://www.constitution.ie/AttachmentDownload.ashx?mid=b96d3466-4987-e311-877e-005056a32ee4

they voted to have incitement to religious hatred in legislation(isn't it already there), I was a bit confused above the results page
    The report recommends that the offence of blasphemy is removed and replaced
    with a new general provision to include a prohibition on incitement to religious hatred. The
    report also recommends creating a new set of detailed legislative provisions to include
    incitement to hatred on a statutory footing.

they proposing two types of incitement to religious hatred changes one to replace blasphemy in the constitution and they took question four as vote in favour of putting it in legislation too but it shouldn't do because people didn't vote in favour of legislating for it in question 3 (by 1%) hat tip to atheist ireland for pointing to a couple of flaws in the report http://www.atheist.ie/2014/01/flawed-blasphemy-report-would-maintain-religious-privilege/

eMail in [a few days ago]. Draft attached. Happy reading.

could you get and upload up the sheet with the questions about blasphemy thanks

could you get and upload up the sheet with the questions about blasphemy thanks

I'll see what I can do. And to answer one question. Incitement to hatred is in the constitution, not religious hatred, from memory. This was already discussed a page or two back.

I'll see what I can do. And to answer one question. Incitement to hatred is in the constitution, not religious hatred, from memory. This was already discussed a page or two back.

Strike that. I knew it was familiar. It was me and you having the same discussion on the previous page. And you uploaded the question sheet on the previous page.

they took question four as vote in favour of putting it in legislation too but it shouldn't do because people didn't vote in favour of legislating for it in question 3 (by 1%) hat tip to atheist ireland for pointing to a couple of flaws in the report http://www.atheist.ie/2014/01/flawed-blasphemy-report-would-maintain-religious-privilege/

Your interpretation is flawed. You are talking of point four [incitement to religious hatred] but looking at vote 3 [blasphemy legislation]. They are two different questions.

We voted 82% in favour to legislate for incitement to religious hatred.

I don't see the issue or conflict.

Aetiest Ireland are mistaken. They say
    Also, despite what the report says, the Convention did not vote to recommend a law prohibiting incitement to religious hatred.

It's there in the report, in black and white. We voted 82% in favour. Your post even shows the ballot result.

• Advertisement

Your interpretation is flawed. You are talking of point four [incitement to religious hatred] but looking at vote 3 [blasphemy legislation]. They are two different questions.

We voted 82% in favour to legislate for incitement to religious hatred.

I don't see the issue or conflict.

It's there in the report, in black and white. We voted 82% in favour. Your post even shows the ballot result.

I linked to the ballot result, not the question sheet smile.png

but question 4 starts In the event that the constitutional favours a legislative provision, that means it based on the previous question. (Just like 1 and 2 are linked)

Advertisement