Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gel wrappers do not self destruct in 5 seconds...

Options
  • 15-10-2013 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

I meant to post this a few days ago, apologies.

I did the Sean Kelly Tour of the Midlands on Sunday with a few friends. We had a great day and I met a few boardsies along the way. I have to say that the organisation was fantastic, even though a few things smacked of "first event jitters", I'd have no hesitation in adding this to the calendar. The marshalling was superb and all the volunteers were enthusiastic and helpful.

However, one thing really ticked me off. It was mentioned here during the summer and I found it hard to believe, until a rider in his club gear (I was going to call it "Clowns cycling club" until a more knowledgeable friend told me that place name doesn't actually rhyme with clown!) sucked on a gel and casually chucked the wrapper into the hedgerow. I was honestly gobsmacked.

Further down the road and it was littered with more gel wrappers. Maybe by other cyclists, maybe by a powerbar truck driven carelessly with unsecured cargo. Then a portly mamil in the older radioshack gear (the grey/red/livestrong) tossed a wrapper, after riding like a complete tool to hand his shaky friend a bottle. Seriously, he took one hand off the bars to drink and the bike was shimmying all over the place.

Firstly, I don't what the f**k goes through someone's head that they think it's ok to do that and not stick it back in your jersey pocket. You do wash your jersey afterwards, right? Secondly, after you have driven back to Clowns town or whatever pit you crawled out of early that morning, any locals angry about the litter won't be coming after you, their complaints will be placed at the doors of all those smiling volunteers who selflessly gave up their Sunday so you could ride around their local roads, littering it with your crap.

If there is anyone here who tossed a wrapper, shame on you. If there is anyone here who is from that club and feels a little embarrassed, maybe put it up on the club forum/email list.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Dirk

Email the Club. Even if its brought to the attention of all the members in a email/at the upcoming AGM its better than nothing.

The Campaign has to start somewhere:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Every single organised event I've been to has been the same and I assume there are some people who do it on every saturday spin they go on too. It's disgusting, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

Well said, Dirk.

Littering is also illegal. There is absolutely no excuse for it. Certainly email the club. I see it often on sportifes, training spins, races (racers have no excuse either, if they are clever enough to take it our of their pocket, open it, drink/eat it - they are surely clever enough to put an empty wrapper back in their pocket).

I witnessed someone throw a gel wrapper from the back of a bunch right in front of a Commissaire's car during a race. Their race number was noted.

I, and others, drove around the same circuit picking wrappers up (not many, to be fair) after the race.

Do cyclists who do this think they are riding Le Tour and that eager fans will pick up their rubbish as a souvenir?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

And in a sportive it's not like you do 200 odd km. Food stops are there for a reason. No real need for gels an the like anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭nilhg

This problem just reflects the attitude in our wider society, the lengths some people go to to dump in the countryside have to be seen to be believed, careless dumping of gel wrappers is just a symptom, really annoying to the majority of decent people.

We all need to shout louder at the litterers but it's hard to be the first to cause a scene.

To be fair also I did see one man walking back up the Cut just where you cross the bridge to collect a wrapper that he had dropped so it's not everybody.

OP I'd agree with the suggestion of emailing his club, I'm sure they'll deal with the matter.

BTW I said hello to a chap in a boards jersey on top of the Cut, was that you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

See it regular down here on my spins, you will always see 1 or 2 thrown on the road, lot of people training for the likes of Sea2Summit or Gaelforce who seem to lose the run of themselves and fire the wrappers. I hate it myself, don't see it in our club spins but your well within your rights to email the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

And in a sportive it's not like you do 200 odd km. Food stops are there for a reason. No real need for gels an the like anyway.

No necessarily true. I've done a few of them far in excess of 200kms. A very real need for gels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    No necessarily true. I've done a few of them far in excess of 200kms. A very real need for gels.

Now the average sportive is in and around 100km. Some are 160km and then you have the audex type stuff. Anyone doing the longer ones would consider themselves 'serious' cyclists and as such should have enough cop on not to be littering. My initial point being that your average club spin/sportive has no need for anyone to be using gels as as such no need to be littering.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sherlok

Littering is so annoying. It's just as easy to put something back in a jersey pocket as it is to take out - there's really no excuse.

I've witnessed a muppet lob a drink bottle into the hedge during a sportive. Given the reaction he got from those who saw it, he'll never do it again (though he didn't go back to pick it up).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There is no need for gels on a sportive or audax, you can stop at a shop. Gels shouldn't really be used as food as they're generally quick burners to give you a boost say for a dart up a hill or a sprint.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

There is no need for gels on a sportive or audax, you can stop at a shop. Gels shouldn't really be used as food as they're generally quick burners to give you a boost say for a dart up a hill or a sprint.

Why don't you join me in Austria next year on the 230km sportive that I did this year through the mountains in over 30 degree heat. You find a shop in the middle of a mountain you let me know. Or how about the Milan san remo 295km that I did last year? Then we'll revisit your answer. I don't use gels in races or training. I know what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Nothing wrong with taking a gel on any cycle which you want. Anyway, total sidetrack issue. Riders should keep their empty wrappers on their person until they find a bin for them. Shove it up the front of your jersey or in your pocket, it really requires very little brain power to accomplish. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭dedocdude

ah must be pro's

but yeah stick empties up ur jumper if using them - u don't need them on leisure tour in my opinion, they are an alternative way of getting a bust of calories into you quick with out carrying/chomping a big wedge of tart or Xmas Cake - so unless you are up the road in a decent sunday race or hanging into a Ras lineout, eat proper food.

Now the average sportive is in and around 100km. Some are 160km and then you have the audex type stuff. Anyone doing the longer ones would consider themselves 'serious' cyclists and as such should have enough cop on not to be littering. My initial point being that your average club spin/sportive has no need for anyone to be using gels as as such no need to be littering.

I agree 100% that it's unacceptable to litter. I wasn't trying to say that it was ok to do so on a longer spin. Absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

I was in some A4 races this summer and saw local and non local club riders tossing wrappers. I shamelessly shout at them and will continue to do so. I agree with emailing the club if you're into that but I think it's also helpful to shame them right at the time of the incident. Others won't want to do it then either as they risk being shouted at by the loon behind.

I don't think that this is a fair statement to make. If you have gels at home then why would you stop at a shop and spend more money when you have already purchased what you need? They are not just for a quick dart up a hill. They are to give you energy when you have nothing else left on you! I know for a fact that they helped get me up a 15km climb earlier in the year when the food stop was at the top and I couldn't get a bar into me with the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    I was in some A4 races this summer and saw local and non local club riders tossing wrappers. I shamelessly shout at them and will continue to do so. I agree with emailing the club if you're into that but I think it's also helpful to shame them right at the time of the incident. Others won't want to do it then either as they risk being shouted at by the loon behind.

+1. Also chucking bottles for an A4 'Sprint' is ludicrous. Taking roleplay to a whole 'nother level.

Can we also add leaving tubes on the side of the road to the list? Grinds my gears so it does Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

I don't think that this is a fair statement to make. If you have gels at home then why would you stop at a shop and spend more money when you have already purchased what you need? They are not just for a quick dart up a hill. They are to give you energy when you have nothing else left on you! I know for a fact that they helped get me up a 15km climb earlier in the year when the food stop was at the top and I couldn't get a bar into me with the heat.

Jesus forget about the "gels on a sportif" thing. We're talking about wrappers and litter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

OP, why didnt you point it out?

I think the real way to stop it is to pull up people on it, tell them in no uncertain terms that they are not sean kelly and to get the f**k back and pick up their rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

I've done 9 day races in the wilderness without gels. There is no need for them at all. Unless you've been on hunger strike for weeks it's exceptionally unlikely that you have nothing left. I don't doubt that they would have helped you get up that 15km climb, in the same way that I don't doubt that a defib would save someone's life if they had a cardiac arrest. In both cases it would be better to not to need the assistance in the first place!

On the main point... I'd definitely try to catch the litterer and give him a piece of my mind there and then if I could, and go so far as to tell him to go back and pick it up himself. I have done so on club spins in the past. I reckon even a small number of us being vocal could make a big difference to the "acceptability" of littering, even for those who are too ignorant to work it out for themselves.

• Advertisement

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    Jesus forget about the "gels on a sportif" thing. We're talking about wrappers and litter.

I'm perfectly entitled to have a discussion with another member of boards about something that they wrote in this thread. Thank you.

Enduro wrote: »
    I've done 9 day races in the wilderness without gels. There is no need for them at all. Unless you've been on hunger strike for weeks it's exceptionally unlikely that you have nothing left. I don't doubt that they would have helped you get up that 15km climb, in the same way that I don't doubt that a defib would save someone's life if they had a cardiac arrest. In both cases it would be better to not to need the assistance in the first place!

That's not the point. Let's agree to disagree. You were in such good condition and didn't need them. I was in the condition that I was in and I did need them.
    Enduro wrote: »
    On the main point... I'd definitely try to catch the litterer and give him a piece of my mind there and then if I could, and go so far as to tell him to go back and pick it up himself. I have done so on club spins in the past. I reckon even a small number of us being vocal could make a big difference to the "acceptability" of littering, even for those who are too ignorant to work it out for themselves.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,231 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

+1 I would have Killed someone for a gel on the Alpe D'huez last year. It was so hot and I was soo tired, I couldn't eat anything. All i wanted was fluids and a gel or two would have given me some badly needed energy. Oh and wrappers belong in pockets, not in the countryside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

More to the point, did the man/woman taking the gel win the sportive?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

colm_gti wrote: »
    More to the point, did the man/woman taking the gel win the sportive?

They didn't but had a go in the bunch sprint...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

On using gels or not if your used to them and generally power your body on sugar/carbs then your going to need them.

If your fat adapted then there is no need for them. I'm in ok shape for a cyclist( no where near Endor's level) and have done over 200km, (SKT tour plus a spin in and out) on next to no food and solo one days rides of 250 plus with very little food.

It's not religion if you want them use them!

On rubbish you need to call people out. I see someone dropping rubbish in street I say it to them, ditto when on bike. No way it should be happening with club riders, where's the pride in club environment and fellow cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

47rj2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Gels are fine as long as you are adapted to them. It's the fight to avoid a 'Paula Radcliffe' moment 30 mins later that keeps me away from them. That discarded wrapper could have been useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Its not confined to here, holidayed at Col du Tourmalet in the summer and saw so many wannabe stage winners chucking gel wrappers in to the beautiful countryside. I think its a lot to do with delusion, because the pros do it.

Revolting behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

ashleey wrote: »
    It's the fight to avoid a 'Paula Radcliffe' moment 30 mins later that keeps me away from them.

What, breaking the marathon world record? Routinely destroying everyone you're up against?! :)

Advertisement