Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

do we know what bike Bora will be riding next year

assume specalized are gone with Sagan??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I saw somewhere Specialized extended - but just for one year- with Bora

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

good news for Sam, changing bike does seem to take a while for pros to adjust to

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

ya, surprised that you haven’t come out with the usual nonsense like begrudgingry etc like ye all do when ye can't rebut the facts or accept uncomfortable truths - still time yet . You and your pals sure as hell can not rely on facts and results to rebut what I said

self hating ? No, far from it in fact . I’d wager good money ye couldn’t string a statement in Irish either .

I’m Just someone who can see this case and where it’s going objectively and based on what I actually know of both men and he facts, can accept PLF has legitimate grounds to call him out. The manner of how he did it is another issue though.

Pointing out that this will hurt his career because he won’t have the team to compete with Quick Step is not being anti Irish or self hating . Pointing out that he’s not better than other sprinters is not self hating either . Neither is pointing out the undisputed fact that Quick Step saved his career

Ye are clearly refused to be objective based on his nationality.It’s the same with the excessive fawning over Dan Martin in other threads . That’s fine, what is not fine however is to invent facts

well at least you now admit that you are looking at it from Green tinted glasses. Just, you aren’t man enough or honest enough to admit that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Why don't we just wait and see what happens and just hope Sam does well? Why are you knocking anyone who optimistically looks forward to him being with Bora next year?

We'll all find out next year how this plays out but for now why not be a little happy about it that he has a team willing to help him.

Finally there is a thread on Dan Martin but as you belittled him so much for the Olympics then I assume his 16th was terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,583 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'm not "man enough"Are you actually Patrick Lefevre by any chance.

This is getting ridiculous, now we are fawning over a multi monument winner.

You are very clearly just an anti Irish antagonist I from here on in I will not be feeding it anymore so we can get back to genuine conversation with no motive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

My favourite part was where he talked about the 'undisputed fact' of DQS saving the career of one of the world's most prolific top tier sprinters.

You are in denial

He wouldn’t have had the success that he did in 2020 if he stayed at Bora. He would have been stuck riding Tour of Turkey and if fit , the Vuelta , and even then, as we say, Bora’s guy got the better of him, leaving Sam to mistake the stage as a game at Stemple Stadium

And unless Sagan’s team was willing to chip in, Sam would never have won a points jersey at the grand tour. He had a shot in 2018 and failed, whereas their German Golden boy won the points jersey the following year

Odd that you seem to find it strange when your hero actually spelt it out how important PLF was to him …

“Why don't we just wait and see what happens and just hope Sam does well? Why are you knocking anyone who optimistically looks forward to him being with Bora next year? 

We'll all find out next year how this plays out but for now why not be a little happy about it that he has a team willing to help him. 

Finally there is a thread on Dan Martin but as you belittled him so much for the Olympics then I assume his 16th was terrible.”

You have absolutely nothing factual to say, so you decide to lie instead.

Read the earlier posts and the thread on that actual race , I never criticised Dan Martin’s performance at the Olympics 2021 . I pointed out that he has been flogged for the past 10 months to ride 4 Grand Tours with no assistance whatsoever and then to be passed over by a guy (Woods) who struggles to be consistent in low level 7 day stages .Thus great ride . The worse I said was that he won’t win that race and the reasons why and I was correct . (Thread on the Olympic road race)

why have you and your pals got so triggered (and ye have, because none of ye are able to rebut the points) when it was argued that Sam has made a huge mistake, he won’t be as successful without Quick Step at Grand Tours , certainly not with the new guys and his wingman (who actually wasn’t selected for most of his big days bar Vuelta 2019) …and most important of all, there is little to suggest that he will break the Ex Sprinter Quick Step Curse at 31 years of age - bar a total cliff fall from form from Ewan, the fenix guys and even the likes of Jakobson or Asgren (you can be sure PLF will stir the **** next year too)

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Can't wait for Sam to get back to the top of the pile next year, and win green. Going to be awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Ah my apologies good sir, you obviously can read the future better then I so I will take your word that he will not do as good going to Bora and cease watching cycling from now on. What an idiot I was to think he might do as well or better, shame on me.

PS: any chance you could let me know Saturday's lotto numbers?

PPS: I'm out, thread has truly been destroyed.

Just realized that the national championship finally has a date 3/10 in Wicklow. Haven't seen the route profile yet but I would love to see Bennett win the jersey. He could even get some green tinted glasses to match

Hadn't heard that, it's with in range for me to go down with the kids and cheer them on over the laps so hopefully open to spectators. Hopefully Dunbar gets a shot at it too having finished 2nd to Sam that year but he might be busy with the Italian races around that time.

Delighted Ben Healy manged a win in the jersey a little while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Interesting discussion on Lefevere/ Sam on The Cycling Podcast (recorded pre-confirmation of the move to Bora). tl;dl version is that Sam has done really well to make it to this level, with his lack of self confidence. Rather than being a negative, it should be celebrated that he's overcome it so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

It seems they do when it's about race and the world is watching, domestic abuse/mental health belt away Patrick

https://m.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/olympics/german-cycling-coach-patrick-moster-banned-for-racist-comments-at-the-olympics-40724752.html

The UCI condemns all forms of racist and discriminatory behaviour and strives to ensure integrity, diversity and equality in cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

So he needs surgery on his knee.

Defamation (also known as calumny, vilification, libel, slander or traducement) is the oral or written communication of a false statement about another that unjustly harms their reputation and usually constitutes a tort or crime.

One happened in competition and the other in a newspaper. I think that might be the difference also how do you send a team manager home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

“I'm not too big to admit that I've been thinking over my statements about Sam Bennett. My opinion of him remains the same…" What a nasty twerp.

• Advertisement

He is sneaky enough to make a good politician if he wanted to.

Say a load of horrible stuff then wrap it all up with the insincere "apology". He could be the Belgian Boris Johnson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Ah now, Leo's pretty good at the snapologies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

They banned him after the German OC sent him home.

When you are getting your moral steer from the OCI a recalibration might be in order

Lol . best you actually see the correct definition under Irish and Belgian law, chief .

PLF would succeed on the defence of honest opinion , not to mention Bennett having to actually prove that his reputation was damaged

af the time of uttering what he said, which by the way, he didn’t flat out say that he is faking it, Bennett failed to communicate the extent of his injury and failed to turn up for the pre tour of Belgium meeting. It’s not uncommon for out of contract riders to refuse to ride the rest of the season and claim to be injured eg Carapaz last months at Movistar

Sam’s behaviour and lack of respect to the team , when giving contradictory claims on updates on his injury, going against team protocol by going to an outside doctor (sports teams hate this) and giving different accounts in why he didn’t make it to Belgium… won’t endear him to other teams

so, that’s why Bennett would be wise not to even think about going down that route. He’d probably lose (if PLF fought it ) on failure to prove that PLF damaged his reputation, or even that his reputation was damaged at all . PLF got a fair bit of blow back

best thing Bennett can do is let his ridding at Grand Tours do that talking, which, after a knee injury that serious, and him being closer to 32 years of age (sprinters decline quicker as they age compared to other type of riders) that would leave any doubts as to his mentality in the bin .

Post edited by Randy Archer on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

^^^ Randy I think everyone is wondering what your problem with Sam Bennett is at this stage (if I knew how to, I’d put up a poll for people to give their opinions...

• 1. Did he steal your bike from the school bike shed?
    • 2. Did he take you out of it in the junior tour?
    • 3. Are you Patrick Lefevre’s long lost love child?
    • 4. Did he steal your blood bag?
    • 5. Are you Mark Cavendish’s cousin?
    • 6. Do you work for Specialized or DQS?
    • 7. Did he “spit in your soup”?
    • 8. You’re a Lance Armstrong fan?
    • 9. You didn’t get an invite to the Merrion Hotel knees up?
    • 10. All of the above?

Talk about not being able to let it go... as someone has already said, your continued negativity and condescending tone to anyone with a view point different to yours, is ruining this thread.

Lol. Settle down fan boy, you certainly don’t have an argument that you can stand on .

You will only go running off to the mods ,(you can even name out the ones who will) like the others, when ya get caught out and don’t like what you hear but can’t say diddly squat .

Save yourself the hassle of being told “I told you so” this time next year.

To answer your laughable argument /rant/ poor school yard attempt at ridicule :

1. I have no qualms with Bennett at all. I even made it very very very clear that I hope I would be wrong . (2nd August) He’s just not as good as ye think. You and the boys clearly got your feelings hurt that you can’t accept reality . fine , but don’t go on I’ll informed rants when the facts don’t support you
    2. There’s nothing in Bennett’s ability to believe that he will buck the trend for Quick Step riders , not now with knee issues and a less than stellar lead out train .
    3. It is obvious that if Sam wasn’t Irish, ye wouldn’t be so defensive . Ye wouldn’t even talk about him. One utter moron used the anti Irish crap . Surprised he didn’t use the other idiot guide to arguing by using the auld begrudery card. You came close to that though.
    4. When Sam was doing the Junior Tour of Ireland? , I was busy over in France helping what continental riders in negotiating contracts with Quick Step and Francaise des Jeux, so sadly, I missed out on cheering Bennett on. I’d be surprised if you even know what year he ride the Junior tour actually (nothing came from the contracts sadly, but it was an eye opening experience)

Blood bag ? Long lost child ? Why are you bringing up Cavendish ? (truly pathetic and contemptible) Armstrong wtf ?

Jesus , you truly are triggered . Again, what you know about pro cycling , you could write on the back of a stamp . Can’t and won’t address what was said so talk utter tripe .

Merrion Hotel ? Actually I did get an invite ! I didn’t go because I’m avoiding all crowds until it Is safe .

Only ones not being able to “let it go” is you .

Let what go? People who make statements but lack the cop on to use words that they do not understand is fair game ! It has nothing to do with Bennett (re Deise 08 7th August claim about defamation ) Not my problem you lot can’t string an opinion that’s not based on lies and misinformation and incapable of a proper response

Only people taking issue with a different point of view is ye lot . Not me. My only issue with ye lot is the inability of ye to actually get your facts in order and the Blatant attempt to Distort and flat out lie as to what I said .

stop crying lads . It’s embarrassing . Truth doesn’t care for your feelings . negativity lol ! What age are ya ? You sound like his crush from school days

thanks for the laugh though .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Are the school holidays over soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Edit: Deleted on foot of Weepsie's post below.

Post edited by Paddigol on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mod Note: There's already been an in thread warning for everyone's benefit, and some posters have been PM'd about their posting. Emphasis on posters and not poster is deliberate too as a few were getting dragged into it.

Draw a line under it, anything more that is nothing more than a personal attack is taking a holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Anyone read or hear any speculation on what Sam will be paid at Bora?

Advertisement