Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos:Sony 42inch Smart TV.Half price €488.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

Pinkman wrote: »
    What about trying to get Curry's to beat the price? Argos.ie is listed as one of the online sites they will beat by 10%? http://www.currys.ie/content/Instore-Price-Promise/926?utm_source=Banner15&utm_medium=HomepageBanner&utm_campaign=FooterBanner15

From your link : ''The competitor must be a retail store within 50km and have stock ready for delivery.'' It does say argos.ie but its not ready to deliver, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

Seems to be a competitive price, have one reserved for Wednesday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

Id b very very surprised if the price didn't rise on Tuesday. Can't be a coincidence that they are getting them back in on Wednesday and the price is valid until Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gotthebug

Have one reserved for Tuesday to Thursday in limerick was hoping to pick it up Wednesday as will be around but with all the talk my be better off going in Tuesday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Id b very very surprised if the price didn't rise on Tuesday. Can't be a coincidence that they are getting them back in on Wednesday and the price is valid until Tuesday.

I asked in-store and they told me that I pay the price it was when I reserved it when I pick it up. Happy enough

• Advertisement

I asked in-store and they told me that I pay the price it was when I reserved it when I pick it up. Happy enough

That's good enough so

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭bergipau

This does loom like a great deal. I have one reserved too.
    Argos doesnt say but it looks like it is 200hz and built in wifi. Is this correct?

bergipau wrote: »
    This does loom like a great deal. I have one reserved too.
    Argos doesnt say but it looks like it is 200hz and built in wifi. Is this correct?

The 200hz isn't true, seems like it's really 100hz

dinnybyrne wrote: »
    The 200hz isn't true, seems like it's really 100hz

Could you explain. All specs i see are 200

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭metroburgers

Kajor wrote: »
    All I'm getting is : Can be ordered.

Got one as in reserved one Galway Fri 18th! (653 model)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭rubicon99

check out below thread. Dunno if it's 100 or 200hz, but I've been watching lot of footy and movies, and haven seen any lag at all.

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/Televisions/KDL42W653a-Motionflow-setting-disappeared/td-p/1314740/highlight/false

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Both tvs now showing 'out of stock' :(

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭metroburgers

Stupid question time: Is this Saorview Ready? Saorview approved TV page only mentions the KDL42W653A as being saorview approved...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭skinny90

Process rates and panel refresh rates are two different things.this model is 50 hz panel with a process rate of 200 hz
    A process rate is interpolation.
    Manufacturers are putting their own figures on them now so it's very hard to tell what's good unless you no what to look out for.
    For LEDs a basic rule of thumb is if it's got 3d it's gonna be a decent enough panel.if it's not a 3d tv then your more than likly getting a cheaper panel.good tv tho it was never worth 799 tho

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Does it have local dimming?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Argos are a joke. I tried to reserve it in both the Letterkenny and Monaghan stores with both saying 'Order for collection'. Then once you go to reserve it, it says out of stock. Typical Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭bromley52

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=461002

I have a code for the above in Cork Mahon, due for collection from this Friday to Mon 21st.
    PM if interested.

Edit: Gone

hellboy99 wrote: »

I would be surprised....generally you'd get it in the w8-w9 models

I have a confirmation code. Hope it arrives thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Superfint

Pinkman wrote: »
    What about trying to get Curry's to beat the price? Argos.ie is listed as one of the online sites they will beat by 10%? http://www.currys.ie/content/Instore-Price-Promise/926?utm_source=Banner15&utm_medium=HomepageBanner&utm_campaign=FooterBanner15

I emailed Currys but they said they can't price promise on these TVs as they need to be in stock and available for delivery to do so.

I reserved/ordered one in Drogheda saying collection for Thursday , got an email with no reservation number though! No mension in the email of the TV either - just thanks for your reservation & store opening hours.

Hopefully get a reminder email with reservation number before Thursday.:(

• Advertisement

Superfint wrote: »
    I reserved/ordered one in Drogheda saying collection for Thursday , got an email with no reservation number though! No mension in the email of the TV either - just thanks for your reservation & store opening hours.

(

Strange. I got a number which referenced to tv. So i should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

hellboy99 wrote: »

Review here
    http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl42w653-201308113237.htm

It does NOT have local dimming. Only reserved for high end sets and how useful that feature is anyway is questionable seeing as most sets being edge lit now anyway and not fully back lit anymore. Also the black levels are so good on the VA panel the 653/654 uses you don't even need local dimming. In fact the panel has superior black levels to the 805 which is no surprise as that's an IPS panel.

The panel is actually native 100hz and not 200hz as people think. It uses interpolation (Sony call it motion flow) to increase the refresh to 200hz. Unlike more expensive Sony set's you cannot turn this off. It's in auto mode all the time and what controls it, is the 'Picture scene' mode. So in gaming mode, motion flow is turned off, but in Sports mode it's turned on.

Incidentally for gamers out there, this is the best set on the market with a lower input lag then any other set, including plasmas. That's why I bought the 32" for the PS4. Just make sure to turn game mode on, and all picture processing effects off. A great thread is on Avforums about this set goes into settings in more detail.

The only minuses are no 3d (not that I care), only 2 hdmi connectors, and it has a 'LED Motion' mode which prevents blurring but it causes flicker and lowers brightness so is completely useless. The panel is also a little loose inside the bezel but that looks like a design issue to allow for expansion for when the screen heats up. The backside of the chasis is also plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

rubicon99 wrote: »
    check out below thread. Dunno if it's 100 or 200hz, but I've been watching lot of footy and movies, and haven seen any lag at all.

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/Televisions/KDL42W653a-Motionflow-setting-disappeared/td-p/1314740/highlight/false

Being 100hz or 200hz or higher makes no difference to lag. Refresh rate makes a difference to motion blurring watching sports though. Most sets these days are either 50hz or native 100hz. The Sony we are talking about here is more than likely 100hz (or 50hz) and use motion interpolation (motion flow) to increase refresh artificially to 200hz when watching sports. It's an automatic setting which activates depending on what screen mode you use. As you said it looks very good watching sports or movies with minimal blurring though not as good as plasmas obviously.

It's a 50hz set,where are you getting the 100hz spec from....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

ColmH81 wrote: »

howz the sync on video and audio? I bought a similar device about 6 months ago and the audio / video sync was out. Also the WiFi was flakey too :( can you vouch for it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭baby builder

Managed to reserve a 32inch one - but would have loved the bigger size.

Ah well - it's still a fantastic bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

As regards the Currys thing, could you not wait until you telly comes into Argos to do the pricematch?
    At that stage it's in stock, and ready for collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

Baby Builder where is your TV reserved for.Can swap my 42" code for your 32" if you like if your in the cork area.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Anyone got a reservation in Dublin that they are not going to use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Soarer wrote: »
    As regards the Currys thing, could you not wait until you telly comes into Argos to do the pricematch?
    At that stage it's in stock, and ready for collection.

Price is only til the 15th though, so that wont work

Advertisement