Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics tracks in Ireland

Options
  • 10-10-2013 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

How many tracks are there in Ireland, and where?

In Dublin, there's Santry, Tallaght, Irishtown, Donore's 300m track, and the cinder? tarmac? track in Kilbogget. (Does any club 'own' that track?)

County by county, where are the other tracks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

RayCun wrote: »
    How many tracks are there in Ireland, and where?

In Dublin, there's Santry, Tallaght, Irishtown, Donore's 300m track, and the cinder? tarmac? track in Kilbogget. (Does any club 'own' that track?)

County by county, where are the other tracks?

Off the top of my head others that come to mind

Dublin
    Lucan, ALSAA, Sundrive (I think?),

Meath
    Navan

Kildare
    Newbridge

Wicklow:
    Greystones

Sligo:
    IT

Cork:
    CIT
    UCC Mardyke

Limerick:
    UL

Kilkenny:
    KCH track

Tipperary:
    Nenagh (Indoor)
    Templemore

Donegal:
    Finn Valley track

Offaly:
    Tullamore

Westmeath:
    Athlone

Kerry:
    Castleisland

Clare
    Ennis: Lees Road & Fairgreen

Galway
    NUIG

Waterford
    RSC Track

Cavan
    Shercock AC Track

Antrim:
    Mary Peters
    Antrim Forum

Westmeath:
    Athlone IT (indoor and outdoor)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

There's a cinder track in Gormanston College, Co. Meath. I think Dunleer AC in Louth have a 400m track, it could be tarmac though so that probably doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

Louth (2)
    Bush Track - Cooley, Co. Louth
    Drogheda Track
    Both 400M tracks

Good thread. I have often been asked how many 400M tartan tracks there are in Ireland.
    The track In Shercock, Co. Cavan is a 300M track

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ecoli wrote: »
    Sundrive (I think?),

This is a cycle track, but afaik Dublin Striders train on it sometimes

There's a cinder track in Gormanston College, Co. Meath. I think Dunleer AC in Louth have a 400m track, it could be tarmac though so that probably doesn't count.

I'm interested in cinder and tarmac tracks too. They're the larval stage of tartan tracks :)

• Advertisement

I'm interested in cinder and tarmac tracks too. They're the larval stage of tartan tracks :)

You wouldn't have a smiley face training on them in the winter months absolutely destroying clothes with the grit kick back in wet weather.

Think I had to throw out more t shirts growing up than most people go through in a running career :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

As far as I'm aware the track in Gormanston is the (very) old cinder track that once was in the Morton stadium before it got upgraded years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Galway has Dangan, there is also a grit/cinder track at the pitches in Westside, not sure what length, but think it's 400m.
    Not sure outside of that as anything in the county tends to focus on use of Dangan.
    Mayo has Claremorris, and there used to be a grit track in Westport around the soccer pitch - don't think its full 400m though. A similar grit track used to exist in Ballina when I was younger, no idea what currently exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Cinder tracks in Lucan and Dunboyne. I agree the cinder is a nightmare to train on in the winter with clothes getting destroyed. The track turns to mush after a heavy shower and if it freezes you're left with a hard lumpy surface thats dangerous to train on.

Jnealon wrote: »
    Cinder tracks in Lucan and Dunboyne. I agree the cinder is a nightmare to train on in the winter with clothes getting destroyed. The track turns to mush after a heavy shower and if it freezes you're left with a hard lumpy surface thats dangerous to train on.

So, cinder or tarmac, what are the pros and cons?

(no, I didn't just win the lottery :()

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

You wouldn't have a smiley face training on them in the winter months absolutely destroying clothes with the grit kick back in wet weather.

Think I had to throw out more t shirts growing up than most people go through in a running career :D

Its lovely training on the cinder tracks, do that all winter. Clothes in a lovely mess afterwards.

Wouldnt train on a cinder in the summer though.

Think Le Cheile might have their new track now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Jnealon wrote: »

Sure you do be out front so you have no spray coming at you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

Kilbarack in Dublin, though not in great condition. There's also one near Ashbourne Co Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 simon255

Off the top of my head others that come to mind

Dublin
    Lucan, ALSAA, Sundrive (I think?),

Meath
    Navan

Kildare
    Newbridge

Wicklow:
    Greystones

Sligo:
    IT

Cork:
    CIT
    UCC Mardyke

Limerick:
    UL

Kilkenny:
    KCH track

Tipperary:
    Nenagh (Indoor)
    Templemore

Donegal:
    Finn Valley track

Offaly:
    Tullamore

Westmeath:
    Athlone

Kerry:
    Castleisland

Clare
    Ennis: Lees Road & Fairgreen

Galway
    NUIG

Waterford
    RSC Track

Cavan
    Shercock AC Track

Antrim:
    Mary Peters
    Antrim Forum

Westmeath:
    Athlone IT (indoor and outdoor)

Donegal has a second track in Letterkenny too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Galway has Dangan, there is also a grit/cinder track at the pitches in Westside, not sure what length, but think it's 400m.
    Not sure outside of that as anything in the county tends to focus on use of Dangan.
    Mayo has Claremorris, and there used to be a grit track in Westport around the soccer pitch - don't think its full 400m though. A similar grit track used to exist in Ballina when I was younger, no idea what currently exists.

In Mayo there's an excellent tartan track in Claremorris, newly done up with new flood lights, parking etc. They also have an indoor 60 metre track. In Castlebar there's a tartan track around the soccer pitch. I don't know the length. In Westport we have a 320 metre grit track, much used. Don't know what's in Ballina or elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You wouldn't have a smiley face training on them in the winter months absolutely destroying clothes with the grit kick back in wet weather. Think I had to throw out more t shirts growing up than most people go through in a running career
    I prefer the cinder in winter to summer, as there is less dust and more grip. Simple solution for you: don't wear a t-shirt!

To get back to your question Ray: The grit track isn't very forgiving/yielding, whereas a tarmac surface would at least have some 'give'. A tarmac track would of course be more costly, harder to maintain, and less hard-wearing (it's hard to destroy grit!). Another problem with tarmac tracks is that they melt, when a burning car or wheelie-bin is set alight on top of them. The cinder seems to survive better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Meath Tracks

Navan (Navan AC)
    Bohermeen (Bohermeen AC)
    Ratoath (Ratoath AC)
    Dunboyne (Duboyne AC)
    Athboy (Fr. Murphy AC)
    Cushinstown (Cushinstown AC)
    Skryne (Tara AC)
    Ashbourne (St. Andrews AC)
    Gormanston (Star of the Sea AC)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Meath Tracks

Navan (Navan AC)
    Bohermeen (Bohermeen AC)
    Ratoath (Ratoath AC)
    Dunboyne (Duboyne AC)
    Athboy (Fr. Murphy AC)
    Cushinstown (Cushinstown AC)
    Skryne (Tara AC)
    Ashbourne (St. Andrews AC)
    Gormanston (Star of the Sea AC)

Meath wins! One track for every 20,459 people will be hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Meath wins! One track for every 20,459 people will be hard to beat.

Build one in Leitrim and you won't be far off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

So, cinder or tarmac, what are the pros and cons?

(no, I didn't just win the lottery :()

I’d think I’d rather a proper tarmac/asphalt track over a cinder one, with a proper tarmac track it’s easier to upgrade to tartan or mondo track
    Tarmac is more responsive, easier to keep clean and much more durable
    The guys in Leixlip would know more about this as they trained on a tarmac track for close to a year

During the dry summer months the cinder gets very dusty, this can be a challenge when you are doing drills with a group of 30 kids
    Also after a shower this fine dust gets washed in to the ground and over time clogs the drainage and also causes the ground to become very compact/hard, I’m not sure if this happens on all cinder tracks or is just unique to ours

Kids Falling on cinder can be quite nasty especially when they are only wearing shorts and t-shirts,

A freshly brushed, slightly damp cinder track is great to train on but given our climate and our ability to maintain it, these days are quite rare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I think there is a grass track in knocklyon too. The only thing is the grass us so long it's hard to spot the markings.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I think there is a grass track in knocklyon too. The only thing is the grass us so long it's hard to spot the markings.

“Mud is a cleansing and sanctifying thing, and the runner that regards it as the final horror has lost his manhood... there are many things more horrible than mud, and the Tallaght singlet is one of them!”
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

Wicklow

Kilcoole AC, Greystones AC, Sli Cualann - Shoreline Sports Centre, Greystones

“Mud is a cleansing and sanctifying thing, and the runner that regards it as the final horror has lost his manhood... there are many things more horrible than mud, and the Tallaght singlet is one of them!”
    :)

Damn your edit. You just lost a thanks for that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Wicklow

Kilcoole AC, Greystones AC, Sli Cualann - Shoreline Sports Centre, Greystones

+Arklow (cinder track)

I have a screenshot, which I will be blowing up to poster size and pasting up around the Tallaght clubhouse :pac:

I have a screenshot, which I will be blowing up to poster size and pasting up around the Tallaght clubhouse :pac:

Careful, you could cause a boycott. At this rate you may never get that lawnmower/track resurfaced :D

I'm going to go round each of the tracks listed above and steal a bit from each of them. I figure if I take from lane 8 no-one will ever know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Originally Posted by ecoli
    Sundrive (I think?),
    This is a cycle track, but afaik Dublin Striders train on it sometimes

I've been running in that park for a few years at least once a week and never seen anything like a session from that club, only runners in 1's and 2's, nor anything but bikes on that track [...its a really steep track, for Track Cycling, so with really high/steep banks, cant see how you could do a half decent running session on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

snailsong wrote: »
    In Mayo there's an excellent tartan track in Claremorris, newly done up with new flood lights, parking etc. They also have an indoor 60 metre track. In Castlebar there's a tartan track around the soccer pitch. I don't know the length. In Westport we have a 320 metre grit track, much used. Don't know what's in Ballina or elsewhere.

Grit track in Ballina also, 400m.

Advertisement