Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constantly Being Asked for a Smoke in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

"I scabbed this one myself". 0% failure rate.

You're welcome. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

I used to be seeing a girl who lived in Maynooth (I'm from Kerry) and I would walk from Heuston to Connolly for the train out. I was so sick of being asked for a smoke or " a euro for tea", my hole!! So one day I went to the supermacs in Heuston and asked for 20 one euro coins. Put them all in one pocket and every time I got asked for a smoke or a euro I would say no and put a euro in my other pocket.

I did have to give away 2 smokes as I was smoking at the time and there was a group of scumbags asking me so I'm not gonna say no to more than 3 of them (I'm a country chicken :p ). I got to Connolly with 17 euro in my pocket minus 2 cigs so 19 times in total. Absolutely ridiculous just walking a couple of miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

What annoys me the most is when they act like you have wronged them by not giving them one of your ridiculously over priced cigarettes, as if they are owed one simply because they asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

I dont smoke but anything I was away in the UK for a weekend I would get asked "Can I BUY a smoke off you".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

gazzer wrote: »
    I dont smoke but anything I was away in the UK for a weekend I would get asked "Can I BUY a smoke off you".

This annoys me. "I'll give you 50 c for a smoke" - as if you're gonna take it and look like a st1ngebag! They know this I guess. Also, although 20 times 50 c is more than the price of a box, what good is 50 c when you just want one cigarette on the way home but you've none left? It's not like you can go in and buy one for 50c somewhere along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭maalummoja

OldGoat wrote: »
    I've always said No to beggers. Never had any trouble apart from a few stupid throwaway remarks. Feeding the begging habit causes the numbers of beggers to grow. As was said earlier in the thread just say No. Don't stop, don't engage in conversation, don't react to verbal provocation. Say No and walk on. Works well on chuggers too.

If you look back through the responses in this thread and count up the number of people who kowtow to handing over a ciggy (at whatever cost they are now) to strangers then it's obvious that beggers will keep on begging.

Just keep walking by and dont make eye contact, never fails. Ear phones are great for this even when not in use

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Keep an empty box in my top jacket pocket for such occasions. Dublin is unreal for it, have no problem giving people a fag if I have enough and if they ask nicely but some people seem to think that their right to my cigarettes is somehow enshrined in the constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

The perks of smoking menthols, the majority of junkies won't take them off ya even if you offer them.

Mwahahahaha more mentholy goodness for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I found an inverse relationship between how rough (read: unkempt beard) I looked and how often I was hassled for ciggies. If I'd a week's stubble and looked like I'd not slept in a few days I'd get left alone. Clean shaven and I'd be plagued at every Luas stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

OldGoat wrote: »
    They are trained (or so I'm led to believe) that if you clearly say No twice they have to back off.

I find a look silences them. It's slim pickings for them these days so I think they're getting more choosy about their "marks." At least in Cork anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I used to find it ball ache when I smoked.

Getting sick of it one day, so girl came up to me and asked for one, usually I just said no but this time decided to have a laugh so took out a pack, opened it slowly and took one out to hand to her. Just before she touched the cigarette I pulled my hand back, smiled and very apologetically said "Look, I'm sorry on second thoughts you're too pretty to get lung cancer".
    The look of disgust on her face was priceless and yeah I know it was kinda dickish to do but it was worth it for the laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

nesf wrote: »
    I find a look silences them. It's slim pickings for them these days so I think they're getting more choosy about their "marks." At least in Cork anyways.

Wonder if this works on chuggers?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I was accosted by a junkie outside connolly, the stereotypical toothless she witch, she asked me for a smoke, and then a drag, i said no, both times assertively, she was like "awh please mistur"... so i rebutted and said "what the **** do I owe you, piss off and leave me alone" it worked, she walked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Some people are just born leechs. I just wish they stayed at the bottom of the pool. Constantly asked for cigarettes in Dublin City. An assertive no usually work. Get the occasional insult thrown at me for refusing. (insert expletive) Skinny,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Some yakbag was moaning as i walked down the Luas tracks near Collins Barracks about how "its a joke and a disgrace" how he had asked 13 people for a smoke and everyone of them said no.

He couldn't believe how "mad" it was that he couldn't bum a smoke off some one.

The big brave boy in me wanted to say "Buy your own smokes ya junkie scum", however the coward in me just walked on quietly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I say 'Sorry man, I can't'
    I have no idea why, but it always works: no abuse, nothing.
    I hate walking out of Heuston Station because I just know I'll be asked at least once before reaching the Luas stop (and of course will then be asked for spare change at the machine when buying my ticket- same response works wonders in that situation too!)

dee_mc wrote: »
    I hate walking out of Heuston Station because I just know I'll be asked at least once before reaching the Luas stop (and of course will then be asked for spare change at the machine when buying my ticket- same response works wonders in that situation too!)

Pretend to sneeze when you light up, and they come over, they wont ask you then. We'll im assuming they wont, there are some dirtbags out there who would.

dee_mc wrote: »

Between Heuston and Connolly I find the worse area for this. I don't even smoke and i get harassed. Happens once a day a least.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Between Heuston and Connolly I find the worse area for this. I don't even smoke and i get harassed. Happens once a day a least.

"yergohheh smowuk? nyeeehh"

"yergohheh smowuk? nyeeehh"

Was that you? ;)

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Was that you? ;)

yeah, its my outdoor voice, inside i talk like gay byrne and look like hugh heffner with no teeth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Hierro_4

Twice in I'd say the last 6 months I've literally had a rollie swiped from my hand in two different smoking areas in clubs. I took it back off of both. The first guy threatened to head butt me but walked away, the second had to be restrained by a girl who he'd been talking to but obviously saw what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭bitch please

why doesnt sorry i dont smoke work ever, im not living in dublin so i dont know the most common spots for it but always at connolly i get asked for rollies the best reponse that works for me "uuhhhhh ahhhh sorry little english" work every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭JK91

I find this to be very irritating to be honest, do these people literally get all of their daily smokes from scrounging them off strangers I wonder? Also is it just me or can you also see a parallel in this video in regard to been asked for smokes a dozen bloody times nearly everyday of the week? :D

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155590/i-dont-have-change

Advertisement