Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single life, financially better off?

Options
  • 08-10-2013 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

hi im a 30 yr old man, and recently I have begun to believe that being single is a serious advantage. every day I turn on the news or current affairs and listen to reports of the squeezed middle classes.Now I consider myself in the middle classes im a secondary school teacher and part time farmer,although im only temp teaching at the minute.Every time I hear these horror stories I just think , thank God im single and never bought a house, it seems a lot of my friends escaped from buying a house as well, the crash happened when we were about 24- 25 so luckily we were still living it up.Thing is most of my friends have become very wary of getting into relationships the last few years as they don't want to get the missus up the spout or something like that which they all agree would be a disaster! it seems that once you start into the family unit thing then that's the end of the disposable cash. just wondering is this accurate, to me any guy in a family set up seems to be a lot worse off than me ,muddling along on my own. what do people think??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

Depends on what you want to spend money on.

If you WANT a family then the cost won't be an issue.
    If you WANT disposable income for yourself then the cost of a family will be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

It's a trade-off I suppose. You balance the benefits of being single with the benefits of having a partner/ family. I know I prefer being a little bit less well-off than I could be but being in a great relationship. Although in all fairness the fact we're less well-off right now is totally my fault as I haven't found work and am trying to get a business going... so maybe you should ask my gf this question! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Dickie10 wrote: »
    hi im a 30 yr old man, and recently I have begun to believe that being single is a serious advantage. every day I turn on the news or current affairs and listen to reports of the squeezed middle classes.Now I consider myself in the middle classes im a secondary school teacher and part time farmer,although im only temp teaching at the minute.Every time I hear these horror stories I just think , thank God im single and never bought a house, it seems a lot of my friends escaped from buying a house as well, the crash happened when we were about 24- 25 so luckily we were still living it up.Thing is most of my friends have become very wary of getting into relationships the last few years as they don't want to get the missus up the spout or something like that which they all agree would be a disaster! it seems that once you start into the family unit thing then that's the end of the disposable cash. just wondering is this accurate, to me any guy in a family set up seems to be a lot worse off than me ,muddling along on my own. what do people think??

Tbh, thats a strange way for them to be, have they ever heard of condoms or the pill? I would imagine in monetary terms exclusively you have it slightly better off but if your 30 & have little to know experience with women or relationships that could be seen as a serious disadvantage in itself.

Give me a happy relationship or marriage any day over financial wealth & the illusion that your still loving it up in your thirties

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

There are plenty of Elderly single farmers out there. How do they get on?

One other thing to consider, married men live longer. And apparently your health is your wealth. But on the flip side. If you think money has anything to do with getting married then your better off single. When the time is right it won’t be an issue. If it ever is right.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mossess wrote: »
    married men live longer.
    Bit of a myth that one. If you include divorced men who did get married their suicide rate alone is 3 times higher than background. So maybe a happy marriage increases longevity, but maybe a happy single life(likely including successive relationships, but not for life) increases longevity. If you want to die younger, get hitched, then separate/divorce(if you're a man, women's suicide rate doesn't change), or marry a woman older than you(see below).

It also depends on the individual. Some are more codependent than others. If you're not the codependent type(male or female, though maybe more male as women have more base level oxytocin going on), then marriage may not be for you, or not for you until much later in life. If you're the codependent type then being single is gonna be crappy. Unmarried men on average have more wealth. That tends to affect happiness. Unmarried women on average have more wealth too and their longevity stats are the same as their married sisters.

One of the longest running studies of longevity(since the 1920's) the Terman life study, showed no difference for either gender between those who never married and those that married.

Indeed if you want to live longer and you're a bloke, marry a woman much younger than you.. Though as they point out this may be down to the fact that if you can pull a woman 15 years younger than you it's likely because you've got better aging genes in the first place.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Wibbs wrote: »
    Bit of a myth that one. If you include divorced men who did get married their suicide rate alone is 3 times higher than background. So maybe a happy marriage increases longevity, but maybe a happy single life(likely including successive relationships, but not for life) increases longevity. If you want to die younger, get hitched, then separate/divorce(if you're a man, women's suicide rate doesn't change), or marry a woman older than you(see below).

It also depends on the individual. Some are more codependent than others. If you're not the codependent type(male or female, though maybe more male as women have more base level oxytocin going on), then marriage may not be for you, or not for you until much later in life. If you're the codependent type then being single is gonna be crappy. Unmarried men on average have more wealth. That tends to affect happiness. Unmarried women on average have more wealth too and their longevity stats are the same as their married sisters.

One of the longest running studies of longevity(since the 1920's) the Terman life study, showed no difference for either gender between those who never married and those that married.

Indeed if you want to live longer and you're a bloke, marry a woman much younger than you.. Though as they point out this may be down to the fact that if you can pull a woman 15 years younger than you it's likely because you've got better aging genes in the first place.

Ill tell you something though, I'd couldn't give a toss about living a long life if its a miserable one alone with a bit of extra cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Ill tell you something though, I'd couldn't give a toss about living a long life if its a miserable one alone with a bit of extra cash.

It's not as simple as single= miserable, married= happy. I spent most or all of my twenties lamenting my singledom. I'll be 32 shortly, I'm still single and I've never been happier in myself (and I can assure you I don't go out partying it up and pulling yungwans every weekend- far from it!).

I'm sure if I met someone really nice and thought a long and happy relationship presented itself, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity. However, if things don't pan out that way I'll find other ways of having a fulfilling life. If the latter is the course I take, I'm sure I'll have greater financial stability and okay, it won't keep me warm at night but it's definitely going to make other aspects of my life easier.

Is financial stability on its own enough to make you rule out the chance of a meaningful relationship with someone that helps make you happy? Maybe if you're Ebenezer Scrooge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Well financially, i am better off married. We are DINKS at the moment (double income, no kids). We live off my salary and are building up a fairly sizable nest-egg with my wife's salary. That'll change a bit when she stops working when we have kids. We could not do that if we weren't married/partner'd

I am very happily married and have been for a few years. When we lived in Spain, the thought of buying an apartment never crossed our minds. There was no need, you have long term rights in apartments there, so why double our outgoings for the sake of "our own/the bank's" place.
    Then the crash happened, we could have bought a place, but didn't.
    We moved to the US instead, and continue our living off my salary with disposable cash involved, saving hers. We won't think about buying here, as we like the city life. When we were thinking about settling in Spain, we would have continued to rent, and had kids in the city there as well.
    I hate this idea that just cos your married, you have to move to 3BR house in the suburbs, as that's "what you do". Also...the only way to not worry about getting your partner up the spout/duff...be smart with birth control and it 99.9% won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

ha well I didn't mean my friends were literally afraid to get there women/one night stands up the duff, but just wary of getting caught up a creek if u know what I mean! there are a few in fairness that have a theory that your financially better off married, because they don't have a house yet and pprob need the extra wage to go towards a mortgage. luckily for me im just renting at the mo as Iv inherited a house to live in, I just couldn't see the point of buying a place at the min. I do pass for 25 so maybe im just late maturing and only really got into my stride with proper women in the last 3 years, up til that it was usually young ones in coppers effort! Im prob having to good a time of it at the minute and get freaked out by these mortgage/family/squeezed middle classes stuff in the media. plus the fact that within 2 miles of my homeplace there are 6 bachelor farmers who vary widely in there antics,3 are womanising Clooney types in their late 40s, who seem to still regularly pull late 20s early 30s women! the other 3 are pretty much the other side of the coin, starting to get a bit odd already in their early 50s! basically I think once your outgoing and up for a party lifestyle single life prob suits these guys , but I think the latter 3 really prob should have got married.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

I hate this idea that just cos your married, you have to move to 3BR house in the suburbs, as that's "what you do".

Ah the quintessential Irish dream; 3 bedder in a 'nice' suburb with a 'good' school.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 407 ✭✭Forever And Ever

I have a girlfriend who loves spending money

I used to love spending money when I was single, but now I'm content to spend vicariously through her!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Like I said some people are more codependent in personality and there's nothing wrong with that. More power to them, but equally there are others who are less codependent so being married has much less of a draw for them.

It's like having children, many if not most want kids, but again there are people out there for which having kids is not on their to do list and simply don't want them.

As for being alone? Just because someone is not in a long term romantic relationship doesn't mean they're alone. I've known enough men and women in very mediocre long termers who had no friends outside the relationship and who were "alone"(men in particular can fall into this).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

cson wrote: »
    Ah the quintessential Irish dream; 3 bedder in a 'nice' suburb with a 'good' school.

There is a reason for that.

The thought of moving to the burbs filled me with horror in my twenties. Always thought the cost/benefit made no sense. Then had a child and the whole good school/nice area/space issues came home to roost with a vengeance.

I wouldn't want to be an old person living in the city centre. And I wouldn't want to raise kids in there. But for my twenties and early thirties, I wouldn't have been anywhere else.

As for the OPs question - if you think being single is a serious advantage for you, then stick with it lad. I've gone down the whole marriage and kids route. And I love it. But my brother is a 40 year old confirmed bachelor. And except for when he feels the nagging guilt that he 'should' be having kids and shacking up, he is happy out with his life.

Do what sorts you. People will usually defend/promote their choices because that's obviously what they believed in enough to follow them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Its not mandatory to have kids if you are in a relationship you know.

thank God im single and never bought a house

You seem to be conflating two things there. House buying has nothing to do with relationship status. Many single people buy houses. Many couples do not.

I am not seeing much in your post to suggest that being single makes one financially better off. Perhaps a better title for your thread would have been "Not being a home owner, financially better off?" and for many people that is indeed true. Or "Not having children, financially better off?".

Relationships however - leaving home buying and children aside for a moment - are quite often financially better. Especially if all partners are earners. Simply due to Economy of scale.

Two people do not use more light bulbs in the living room than one. Doubling the size of meals does not always double price. Doubling the number of people in an apartment or house does not double the rent.

Many expenses in other words do not always increase in proportion to the income that is coming in to pay for them.

Are some people worse off? Sure. But I would not rush in your position to declaring that it is the rule of thumb by any stretch.

All that said - I would hate to think that decisions in life about love and relationships are made purely on financial basis. Ideally people would enter relationships (or not) or have children (or not) because they want to - and it is the right choice for them - not because they did a Profit and Loss budget and found it to be financially beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It depends on who you marry / are in a relationship with tbh.

I had a lot more disposable income as a single man because I was renting a room in a house-share and once my rent and share of the bills was covered, my salary was my own.

Now I'm married with two kids and my other half is a stay-at-home mother, I'm supporting a family on a salary that's not much higher (given the tax increases in the past 5 years or so etc.) so obviously my disposable income is much lower than before.

I've friends who married and had children with women who earn high salaries and they'd have significantly more disposable income than us. Others who've married and are child-free who'd have more cash to enjoy than either had before they married.

If a high level of disposable income is something that matters to you it all comes down to finding a partner that wants the same things in life as you do. It may never have crossed the minds of many feminists but equality means that a woman's income and/or financial security may become as much a factor in her desirability as a man's has traditionally been. (Then again, the old jokes about a woman with land / frontage / a pub may indicate that this has been a factor in the Irish psych for quite some time).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm 38 and single, have a mortgage but it's not a huge loan compared to what other people have to deal with so I can still afford to take a holiday once a year.

I put alot of money into the house but I see it as an investment because I have no intention of selling/moving.

I'm a saver though and if I was to remain single would probably be fairly comfortable as the years go on but I always saw my future as being settled down and having a few kids.

As 40 is coming over the hill fast I'm not too sure if the kids part will happen but personally I'd rather be happy in a relationship than be alone and rich in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

drumswan wrote: »
    Its not mandatory to have kids if you are in a relationship you know.
    I think a lot of men wouldn't have had kids when they did (and some wouldn't have had them at all) if they had had a proper choice. I think a lot of men don't get a proper choice (probably some women also).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

Some men who decide to stay single use the acronym, MGTOW (Men Going Their Own Way).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

hi I'm a 30 yr old man, and recently I have begun to believe that being single is a serious advantage. every day I turn on the news or current affairs and listen to reports of the squeezed middle classes.Now I consider myself in the middle classes I'm a secondary school teacher and part time farmer,although I'm only temp teaching at the minute.Every time I hear these horror stories I just think , thank God I'm single and never bought a house, it seems a lot of my friends escaped from buying a house as well, the crash happened when we were about 24- 25 so luckily we were still living it up.Thing is most of my friends have become very wary of getting into relationships the last few years as they don't want to get the missus up the spout or something like that which they all agree would be a disaster! it seems that once you start into the family unit thing then that's the end of the disposable cash. just wondering is this accurate, to me any guy in a family set up seems to be a lot worse off than me ,muddling along on my own. what do people think??

The love of money is a terrible way to live your life, you do realise you are living embodiment of the typical stereotype of the Irish farmer and his love of his money and the fear of some woman getting her claws in to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It all depends. You'd be better off living with someone who earned more than you, together in your mortgage-free(?) inherited house, pooling your separate piles of cash into one giant pile.

Finding a person who earns more than a temp secondary teacher wouldn't be needle in haystack territory I'd say.

You'd be worse off living with someone who didn't work at all, and you had to support.

Nothing to do with being single or not. It can go either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Of all the people I know the best off financially are middle aged couple with grown up children, their mortgage paid off or nearly paid off and both are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I moved to a rural area some time ago and I notice a trend among farmers and other rural men in their late 30s/40s/early 50s. After years of playing the field/propping up the bar in their local they have a child with a woman in her 20s and she claims all the allowances for a single mother. There are few other career options locally for a woman who doesn't want to travel for work. The men ostensibly live at home with their parents but unofficially live as a married couple with the mother of their child. It seems to be a win:win for all concerned.

Except the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

mariaalice wrote: »
    Of all the people I know the best off financially are middle aged couple with grown up children, their mortgage paid off or nearly paid off and both are working.
    That's as much a generational thing as an issue of whether a couple are married or not. Those in their middle years are the generation who gained most from the Celtic Tiger and while some may have sustained losses from poor buy-to-let investments, many others didn't. This is the generation that bought their houses in the 70's/80's and experienced massive capital gains of their primary residences during the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I don't stinge money away I have a good time, 2 or 3 holidays a year, albeit smallish ones! a week skiing in jan, galway in summer and a few days in spain November, so I don't have too much of a cash pile!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

yeah because women spend all the money :rolleyes:

PucaMama wrote: »
    yeah because women spend all the money :rolleyes:

Where did anyone say that?

Where did anyone say that?
    eh the bit about being wary of getting into relationships and getting her pregnant. those women! making babies on purpose and taking all your money :rolleyes: terrible!

PucaMama wrote: »
    eh the bit about being wary of getting into relationships and getting her pregnant. those women! making babies on purpose and taking all your money :rolleyes: terrible!

Quotes please..........

• Advertisement

;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement