Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you eat properly?

Options
  • 07-10-2013 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Are you conscious of what you eat and don't eat? Do you make the effort to eat three meals a day with moderate portions? Do you endeavour to eat your '5 a day' and drink lots of water?

I've noticed recently that I do have a lot of digestive discomfort. I know I could eat better but I think my now 30ish year old tummy still thinks it can guzzle the same amount of food as it did when it was in its teens.

I find these days I get bloated and extreme discomfort a lot. At one stage I thought it was the usual case of too much bread, or too much dairy product. But I think its more down to portion control (or lack of) and not eating my 3 meals at the same times each day. I've a tendency to over eat at times which leaves me feeling just awful. It often affects my concentration, energy levels and can make me quite irritable.

However, when I do lower my portions and eat regularly it makes the difference.

I am sure I am not the only guy that really doesn't pay enough attention to what/when/how I eat. I'd love to know if any of the other guys especially have had to change their eating habits for the better in recent times?

If so, what do you normally eat for the 3 meals and do you consider your portion size?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I just eat lots of vegetables and fruit and generally avoid high fats and refined sugar where possible.

I also don't add salt to anything.

Other than that I just eat when I'm hungry and don't eat if I'm not hungry and it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I just eat lots of vegetables and fruit and generally avoid high fats and refined sugar where possible.

I also don't add salt to anything.

Other than that I just eat when I'm hungry and don't eat if I'm not hungry and it works fine.

That's great. So do you skip meals if you are not feeling particularly hungry?

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 val3500dub

YOu shouldn't skip meals- add pulses such as lentils, beans etc to your salads to make you feel fuller for longer :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

py2006 wrote: »
    Are you conscious of what you eat and don't eat? Do you make the effort to eat three meals a day with moderate portions? Do you endeavour to eat your '5 a day' and drink lots of water?

I've noticed recently that I do have a lot of digestive discomfort. I know I could eat better but I think my now 30ish year old tummy still thinks it can guzzle the same amount of food as it did when it was in its teens.

I find these days I get bloated and extreme discomfort a lot. At one stage I thought it was the usual case of too much bread, or too much dairy product. But I think its more down to portion control (or lack of) and not eating my 3 meals at the same times each day. I've a tendency to over eat at times which leaves me feeling just awful. It often affects my concentration, energy levels and can make me quite irritable.

However, when I do lower my portions and eat regularly it makes the difference.

I am sure I am not the only guy that really doesn't pay enough attention to what/when/how I eat. I'd love to know if any of the other guys especially have had to change their eating habits for the better in recent times?

If so, what do you normally eat for the 3 meals and do you consider your portion size?

What you eat is obviously important but very basic yoga or similar exercise will sort out the 'extreme discomfort'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

To answer the question: No, I definitely don't eat well.

I am unnaturally thin for a man, sometimes I have been classed as underweight at times. So the bad things I eat are in some ways masked by this. The one thing bad eating can't hide behind is your own feeling and experience of the body.

I don't think I eat excessive amounts of biscuits/cakes by today's standards but that is only because today's standards are so warped. I'm also a very fussy eater and generally stick to a very small subset of meals, largely unhealthy ones.

It is something I am looking to change, when I move in on my own I can see myself going on a youtube-recipes binge and would hope to cook from ingredients of good vegetables and meat, that will still taste good but give me that extra boost. But the mere fact that I am psychologically putting it off doesn't bode well.

I eat a pizza maybe once a week, but even a home-cooked version of this I'd imagine would be healthier as I could customise the ingedients a bit. My sister is a very good cook, always cooks her own meals, and it's something I aspire to do. I like the idea of experiencing the whole process concsiously, taking in the tastes and smells of it all and eating the end product!

Obviously they are in it for their own benefits, but I like the culture of TV chefs because it casts a light on one of the most fundamental arts/crafts in the human repository. I look forward to getting into a position where I'm cooking good meals every day.

I think if you approach it as another bit of work to be done you may be doomed to failure but if one accepts cooking good meals as another thing to experience on a daily basis, along with the nutrional benefits, psychological benefits will come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I eat 5 meals a day and am fairly health conscious, although I do love the chocolate. I do a good bit of weight training so I try and eat as healthy as possible - otherwise those gruelling sessions in the gym are wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I used to eat well.

Over the past while I am completely off my food.

Todays intake consist of, three cups of Coffee, Apple, orange and a Banana and I wasn't even hungry !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

val3500dub wrote: »
    YOu shouldn't skip meals- add pulses such as lentils, beans etc to your salads to make you feel fuller for longer :):)

You should skip meals if you aren't hungry, you just need to ensure you get your daily requirements into you.

Portion size is down to calorie requirements. If you don't know what you should be eating (and i would guess that most don't) then you will probably run into issues. I have about 3 meals and 3 snacks a day, all selected to meet my goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

What you eat is obviously important but I have yet to see any conclusive evidence that when you eat makes very much difference. There have been a bunch of studies done on the subject, most draw different conclusions on when and how often it's healthiest to eat and for different reasons. For example I've seen a couple of studies conclude that eating once a days is optimal for digestive health and dental health. I've seen studies that conclude eating little and often results in a decreased likely hood of becoming obese (and as a result cardiovascular health).

3 meals a day is the most popular because it's convenient to most peoples lifestyles. If eating different to that suits you better it's very unlikely to have any adverse effects on your health.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

This is a topic thats been on my mind a lot lately, Im making a conscious effort to eat better , lose weight and tone up as up until the past couple of months my diet was very poor. On the advice of a colleague with a background in health and fitness I have cut out an enormous amount of sugar from my diet and the result is I feel so much better in myself.

I find myself now examing labels for sugar intake etc which is something I would never have done in the past, its astounding how much there is in an average box of cereal for example. I still lack a massive amount of knowledge as to what constitutes eating well but on my to do list is to vist a dietician/nutritionist to find out more about the best foods, food groups, veg etc to incorporate into my diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Yes. I eat healthier now than I ever did.

About 1-2 years ago, I started reading the nutrition & diet forum and it changed my perspective on what is healthy and what isn't, as my knowledge of good food wasn't too far off the food pyramid. Since then, I've cut down on sugar and starchy foods by a lot and really upped my veg and meat intake. No longer do I feel guilty about eating bacon :)

The fact that I enjoy cooking helps a lot. I bulk prepare many meals that have good freeze+microwave potential like curries and bolognese. I think of various veg and pulses I wouldn't have considered eating 3 years ago and find ways to prepare them in a tasty manner, so soups and stews are a regular thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I'm naturally stocky, but in a good way. I don't eat a whole lot but the way my metabolism works I look much more healthy than I probably am. I work out though but my diet isn't the best but I don't look gaunt or thin, I eat well just not all that much, for example regularly my only thing I have during the day would be a few cappachinos and a banana. But I try to eat a healthy dinner mostly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yes and no. I've a bit of sweet tooth (weekends or boredom, usually), which doesn't help matters, but I've dealt with that somewhat during work hours with better lunches. Now I avoid the vending machine in general and as a backup. Where I work has a canteen most of us dislike. If the weather's decent it's about 20-30 minute turn around to walk to and from the village (no shops near the office), you lose a lot of time if you do that, so it's best to plan ahead. Also with the workplace regulations we can't have hot food or a microwave in the office.

I avoid ready meals, white bread and rarely have soft drinks. I have 4-5 pieces of fruit daily. It's not even that I feel have to - I just like it. I like cooking and I think this goes back to my childhood, how I was raised, the process, playing around with ingredients and being active in the kitchen.

I'm similar to some of you in that I don't really gain weight and apart from lunch, bulk cooking and general meals, I'm not great at planning. Always room for improvement and more exercise...

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

I have been over the last few months or so, cut out all refined sugars as much as possible. I used to turn to sugary drinks like coke sometimes when I was feeling drained but now I just drink water and eat more fruit and veg and it does help a lot, I've noticed my mood has improved as well when the slump hits during the work day.

The nutrition forum is great, I switched from eating cereal in the morning to just uncooked oats (hate porridge) with milk and a few raisins and it's delicious! Can't stop eating the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭The Big Smoke

Lost a stone so far, cut out most junk although I have cheat day once a week. All I have is frozen veg and whatever meat, bacon and eggs for breakfast and a simple salad for lunch. Exercise consists of soccer once(soon to be twice a week) and gym for the rest. I've come a long way in a year mentally and physically. Here's to the getting rid of the other few stone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

Its up and down for me, sometimes yes but other times not at all. I sometimes eat terribly usually cause I'm busy/tired and can't be bother cooking something good for me. I love nice food but to be honest I hate cooking, seems like such a chore sometimes :D

I'm 22 so my metabolism is doing me a lot of favours but I guess it won't last for ever.

Are you conscious of what you eat and don't eat?

Very. And only relatively recently. When one of my gfs got pregnant I decided it was time we started to eat better and I started to work towards that.

I very quickly discovered a love of both cooking and gardening. To the point I try to make everything I can from as close to scratch as possible (even make my own pasta and mayo and so forth) and grow my own herbs and veg. Even fish and catch wild rabbit :)

I am also a firm believer in eating little and often. I think our genetic ancestors were grazers and I feel a lot better when I eat little and constant rather than 3 firm meals. I also never leave a meal or snack or anything feeling "full" but always just at the fuller end of "I could eat more of this".

But perhaps that is just me.

Changing your diet - even from a bad one to a good one - _can_ (but not always) - make you feel worse than before for a transition period. Which often leads people to fall back to the comfort foods they were used to before. This is why many people do not switch to better diets as successfully as they otherwise might.

I do not have any solid rules or regulations except one really. Variety. I try to vary as much and as often as possible. I try to avoid having the same thing every day. Maybe porridge every morning is good for you but I simply do not want the same thing every morning. I try - where possible - to not have something in the current week that I had even once in the previous week.

I tend to avoid over processed things too. But I have not cut them out entirely. Just the occasional once a week thing.

Sometimes it is unavoidable but I still try my best towards that ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

I eat pretty well. Two meals a day is a habit that works for me: big breakfast (after about 12, when I actually feel hungry) and then dinner in the evening, usually about 7. I've cut out refined sugars and only eat complex carbohydrates. Lots of veg, protein and good fats. The effects on both body and mental well-being have been vast. I think an important factor in eating well is actually listening to your appetite - too many people graze because they're bored or depressed etc, or even just because they feel it's 'time' to eat. When you're actually hungry you'll know all about it. In saying that, a diet high in sugar will make you feel hungry a lot of the time. It's fascinating when you eliminate sugar, because after getting over that initial withdrawal phase, you find that your stomach almost feels smaller; the desire to eat huge amounts of the wrong stuff just disappears.

I too love to cook though which has helped. As someone else mentioned, if cooking is seen as a serious labour, I can see how it must be difficult to regulate your diet. Nutrition & Diet really is a fantastic forum with so much progressive advice that you'd be hard pressed to find even in the literature of a dietitian's office.

• Advertisement

I very quickly discovered a love of both cooking and gardening. To the point I try to make everything I can from as close to scratch as possible (even make my own pasta and mayo and so forth) and grow my own herbs and veg. Even fish and catch wild rabbit :)

I love the idea of growing my own veg. Not entirely sure I would have the patience for it but I have been told in the past that the nicest food you will taste is the food you grow yourself. Plus it is organic and free from any added chemicals etc.

Do you drink lots of water?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

I think my diet is pretty good, but I know I could improve. I take three meals a day. I'm pretty sure I get the 5-a-day in every day. I don't drink soft drinks, do drink a lot of water.

I make fresh veg/fruit juices or smoothies regularly, which is a great way to get the nutrients out of certain fruits or veg which you wouldn't normally eat.

Most of the time, I'll avoid processed food, I make my own sauces for dinners... although I do have the occasional exception. I think it's ok having the odd cheat meal (eg. the fry up) now and then, if your diet is otherwise good.

I do have a sweet tooth though, and know I need to stay away from the chocolate and biscuits. What works for me here is to just not have them in the house at all! If I'm shopping and see a double packet of chocolate digestives on sale, I know that if I buy them, they'll all be gone in no time! I have gone ahead and bought them, but most of the time these days I'll leave them on the shelf.

Like a previous poster said, planning ahead is a good idea. If the house is well stocked with veg and fruit, and not junk food, you're on the right track.

Do you drink lots of water?

Try to when I think about it. Your body gets used to a good supply of it. I find myself feeling thirstier when I am drinking well than when not. :)

Growing your own does not take much patience really. There is some amount of up front effort of course to start off - but in general maintenance and on going work is relatively low.

Plus smalls things like that in your life can greatly boost routine and self discipline. I find it beneficial myself in more ways than simply obtaining cheap, healthy and tasty food.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'm doing a lot of gym work at the moment and i'm trying to bulk up before I cut my weight to get leaner. So i'm having high calories homemade shakes, big portions of currys, stiry frys etc, protein bars and lots of rashers. Don't eat any bread or biscuits or pizzas or any processed foods as such. Do love chocolate but i'm cutting down bit by bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My diet/lifestyle is terrible really! :o

- No breakfast unless you count a coffee/can of coke although at weekends I may have a bowl of two of cereal. It's not wanting more sleep, I just don't be hungry at that hour

- Lunch is variable from nothing, to a sandwich/roll or just chocolate/crisps

- Dinner is usually something with chips or a takeaway and a Coke

- No tea/supper

- Work a desk job and drive to/from work

Yet despite all this I'm almost never sick, not massively overweight (size 36/38 waist @ 5'7/8) and haven't been to a doctor in years.

I know it won't continue forever (late 30s now) but I have no interest in gyms and as I live alone and work long hours I don't see the point in cooking an elaborate meal in the evenings.. I'm not really a "foody" anyway

Maybe I'm immortal? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    My diet/lifestyle is terrible really! :o

- No breakfast unless you count a coffee/can of coke although at weekends I may have a bowl of two of cereal. It's not wanting more sleep, I just don't be hungry at that hour

- Lunch is variable from nothing, to a sandwich/roll or just chocolate/crisps

- Dinner is usually something with chips or a takeaway and a Coke

- No tea/supper

- Work a desk job and drive to/from work

Yet despite all this I'm almost never sick, not massively overweight (size 36/38 waist @ 5'7/8) and haven't been to a doctor in years.

I know it won't continue forever (late 30s now) but I have no interest in gyms and as I live alone and work long hours I don't see the point in cooking an elaborate meal in the evenings.. I'm not really a "foody" anyway

Maybe I'm immortal? :p

You are a size 38 waist. I'd say you are far from immortal mate. At 40 inches you are likely to have a 70% increased chance of heart disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You are a size 38 waist. I'd say you are far from immortal mate. At 40 inches you are likely to have a 70% increased chance of heart disease.

Ah it never gets that far and I'd say I'm between a 36 and 38 myself... I just cut back on everything whenever I think it's getting out of hand

I would have thought 38" waist is quite big for your height. I am about 5'9-10 and I am a 34" and I always feel like I am overweight

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

38 inch waist: that's bad shape buddy. Central obesity is an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease and type II diabetes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

38" is pretty big for that height. I'm 6ft and was very overweight at 36". I'm 34" now and I could still do with losing a few lbs.

Advertisement