Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pay ourselves or involve insurance?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

I do know what you mean.

I was talking to a taxi man and he brought up the question of devaluation. Never thought about this myself but what he was advising is if your getting a car crash repaired also claim for devaluation. Don't know if thats possible but the taxi driver was convinced it was.

As he pointes out no matter how well repaired when your trading in or selling on there is always tell tail signs that will devalue your car come resale time. If it wasn't your fault why shoukd you take a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 R0bb01987

I had a similar issue a few years ago, tiny bum on the back of a womans car who lives on my road, no dent just a bit of paint front my bumper went onto hers. I tried to settle with her but she was asking for crazy money.

I rang the insurance company (no longer in business) and they sent someone out to look at her car but didnt check mine (her car was a peice of s*it), she was trying to claim for damage all over the car for various reasons which clearly wernt caused by this. The insurance company did admit this fact.

They quickly settled for a stupid amount of 2k to "fix the damage" and put my premium up the following year. The woman instead bought a new car with the proceeds. In my mind this was insurance fraud but I never followed through with it.

Its better to have the paper trail that the insurance company will provide to stop them coming back in future however it may still cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

R0bb01987 wrote: »
    I had a similar issue a few years ago, tiny bum on the back of a womans car who lives on my road, no dent just a bit of paint front my bumper went onto hers. I tried to settle with her but she was asking for crazy money.

They quickly settled for a stupid amount of 2k to "fix the damage" and put my premium up the following year. The woman instead bought a new car with the proceeds. In my mind this was insurance fraud but I never followed through with it.

How do you figures its fraud? You damaged her vehicle, insurance company agreed the repairs costs. what she does with the money is her own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 R0bb01987

peteb2 wrote: »
    How do you figures its fraud? You damaged her vehicle, insurance company agreed the repairs costs. what she does with the money is her own business.

Well in my mind if the car was brought to the garage and they carried out work and the insurance covered the cost then thats fair enough. If no work was carried out and a random amount of money was paid to her for repairs and the repairs wernt carried out then its fraud. Thats just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Well in my mind if the car was brought to the garage and they carried out work and the insurance covered the cost then thats fair enough. If no work was carried out and a random amount of money was paid to her for repairs and the repairs wernt carried out then its fraud. Thats just my opinion.
    But her asset (the car) is deemed to be worth less by not effecting repairs. That's the financial loss she suffered

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

I rang the insurance company (no longer in business) and they sent someone out to look at her car but didnt check mine (her car was a peice of s*it), she was trying to claim for damage all over the car for various reasons which clearly wernt caused by this. The insurance company did admit this fact.

Its better to have the paper trail that the insurance company will provide to stop them coming back in future however it may still cost.

Once there is any claim no matter how small your NCB is at risk unless you have some sort of NCB protection.

So it wouldn't have mattered if it was 500 euro claim or 50, 000 euro claim.

The insurance company sent their own assessor who settled the claim to their satisfaction. They would take into account the cost of repair, loan car while being repaired and cost of time and effort to dispute additional costs claimed in court. The assessor job is reduce the insurance company liability and settle the claim.

Plus plastic bumpers hide the real damade that isn't visible at first glance.

Again its not the right of the person who was at fault to decide what if any of the claim is valid.
    It appears the woman you crashed into was right to go through insurance rather than try deal with someone who would begrudge and dispute every cent.

Advertisement