Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioshock 2 has Games For Windows Live Removed

Options
  • 04-10-2013 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

I haven't seen this mentioned here but Bioshock 2 has been patched on Steam .

Games For Windows Live ( and it looks like Securerom as well )has been removed from it , and anybody who already has it in their Steam accound has also been given Minerva's Den (and multiplayer DLC) for free :)

Also as part of the removal of Games For Windows Live , all retail keys should activate on Steam (keys from GMG , Gamers Gate , Amazon etc).

I just gave a friend my spare Games For Windows Live key from GreenMan Gaming and it activated on Steam for him with the Minerva's Den included as well :D

Full controller support has also been added :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i actually noticed it was gone from GTAIV on steam too, massive pain in the bollocks it was with every bloody game it was stigmatised onto aswell. Good riddance to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so what happens if I have an older disc copy of bioshock 2.. just install it and it skips the gfwl stuff altogether?

--edit

oh, nevermind. i put the key in wrong. also i now have minervas den \o/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So how can we buy minerva's den? I never picked it up for PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So how can we buy minerva's den? I never picked it up for PC.

If you already have BioShock 2 in Steam , you should have it now for free .

It is also available to buy in the steam store , for people who buy BioShock 2 now.

If you activate a BioShock 2 key you will get Minerva as well .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

What exactly was the point of GFWL, what did it do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭jos22

i actually noticed it was gone from GTAIV on steam too, massive pain in the bollocks it was with every bloody game it was stigmatised onto aswell. Good riddance to it.

gta IV on steam still locked into games for windows live

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

danthefan wrote: »

The only thing it did for me was make the online functions in Dark Souls not work for me and turned the Bioshock 2 install into 3 hours of frustration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It was the biggest piece of broken crap ever. Bioshock 2 was a nightmare with it. I suppose if you like achievements, they were tied to your Xbox gamertag as well, so for example because I played Halo 2 on PC through GFWL, on my Xbox Gamertag, I had a list of achievements and points for Halo 2 that went towards my score. Just put my retail Bioshock 2 key into Steam and it worked, with free Minerva's Den. Really happy with that. Wonder if people are still playing the multiplayer - I actually really enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Punish you for not pirating the game.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The only thing it did for me was make the online functions in Dark Souls not work for me and turned the Bioshock 2 install into 3 hours of frustration.

It point-blank refused to allow me install Arkham City from a disk on my PC. Ended up having to buy a digital version from Steam.

Absolute trash. I can't think of a single benefit of it though to the consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

so can I install bioshock 2 by downloading it from steam and then use the key from the physical copy I have and get minerva's den free?

Strangely enough never had a problem playing it with WFGL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

For some reason I only got half way through this even trough the first one is one of my all time favourite games. Think this free Minerva's den might convince me to finish it

returnNull wrote: »
    so can I install bioshock 2 by downloading it from steam and then use the key from the physical copy I have and get minerva's den free?

Strangely enough never had a problem playing it with WFGL.

Have you already got Bioshock 2 in Steam ?
    If you have you should have gotten Minerva's Den for free already .
    Right click on it in your library ,click properties , then click on the dlc tab .
    see the below pic .

274646.jpg

If you don't already have Bioshock 2 in your Steam library , activate your Games for Windows key and both Bioshock 2 and Minerva's den will be added to your library , see the below pic
    274648.jpg

It point-black refused to allow me install Arkham City from a disk on my PC. Ended up having to buy a digital version from Steam.

Absolute trash. I can't think of a single benefit of it though to the consumer.

The way the dlc was handled for Arkham City was a disaster as well , activating and downloading through Games for Windows , instead of through Steam .

Good riddance to it .

Thanks ninja,downloading now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So they removed the Herpes and gave us a lolipop!? THUMBS UP FROM ME!!!

From what I heard that DLC is the really really good one. Looks like it might be the time to replay bioshock!

returnNull wrote: »
    Thanks ninja,downloading now :D

No problem :)

From what I heard that DLC is the really really good one. Looks like it might be the time to replay bioshock!

Was just thinking that :)

jos22 wrote: »
    gta IV on steam still locked into games for windows live
    is that a shortut to the game or is the game on steam? because it's gone entirely from mine.

is that a shortut to the game or is the game on steam? because it's gone entirely from mine.

I launched from my games list in steam

no idea what to tell you dude.. it's gone from mine, and mine's on steam too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Are any other publishers likely to do the same for their games? The sooner we can be rid of GFWL, the better.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

no idea what to tell you dude.. it's gone from mine, and mine's on steam too.

came accross this on the web
    , it's safe to say that Rockstar not patching out GFWL on GTA IV (while currently failing to announce the very obvious PC rendition of GTA V) almost comes across as one of the biggest slap-in-the-face tactics to the PC audience yet.

Are any other publishers likely to do the same for their games? The sooner we can be rid of GFWL, the better.

current list is

Bioshock 2
    Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition
    F1 2010
    F1 2011
    Fallout 3
    Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
    Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition
    Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition
    Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II

That's a pretty decent list. May it grow bigger.

H. H. Asquith

That's a pretty decent list. May it grow bigger.

nothing on Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

That's great. Hopefully the game will work for me now. Spent a long time unsuccessfully trying to get it to work, but it always froze at the GFQWL login. Fallout 3 worked fine and so did Warhammer 40k.

That's great. Hopefully the game will work for me now. Spent a long time unsuccessfully trying to get it to work, but it always froze at the GFQWL login. Fallout 3 worked fine and so did Warhammer 40k.

that list I got came from http://www.cinemablend.com/games/List-Games-Switching-From-GFWL-Steamworks-59613.html

link with in it says for fallout

GFWL can be completely ignored as long as you don't care about achievements and you don't buy any DLC. More advanced info is below. DLC packs can be loaded as mods when not playing with GFWL, so long as you have the GOTY edition or the DLCs bought from Steam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

jos22 wrote: »
    that list I got came from http://www.cinemablend.com/games/List-Games-Switching-From-GFWL-Steamworks-59613.html

link with in it says for fallout

GFWL can be completely ignored as long as you don't care about achievements and you don't buy any DLC. More advanced info is below. DLC packs can be loaded as mods when not playing with GFWL, so long as you have the GOTY edition or the DLCs bought from Steam
    I wasn't questioning your list. What I meant was Bioshock 2 wouldn't start properly for me. It would freeze while trying to update or patch itself or the GFWL client. Quite a lot of people had this problem.

I wasn't questioning your list. What I meant was Bioshock 2 wouldn't start properly for me. It would freeze while trying to update or patch itself or the GFWL client. Quite a lot of people had this problem.

wasnt implying that your were, just thought people would like the source.

bio shock 2 use to crash for me 2 before come to think of it.

• Advertisement

Actually that's another weird one, DOW2 Retribution had it, but doesn't anymore, and DOW2 Chaos Rising still has it. haven't tried fallout 3 in years since it had issues with dual core processors and bethesda didnt bother patching it (they might have by now) so id to manually edit it's ini to allow it to work on my machine

Advertisement