Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm not an online gamer anymore...

Options
  • 04-10-2013 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭

I just lost my interest in playing competitive online games. I spent a lot of time playing Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield, Gears of War, FIFA, Forza and the list could go on for ages, but I mostly played Gears of War, Battlefield and FIFA online a lot. I got my Xbox 360 in Xmas 2007 when I was 18 and played online to death for 4 straight years and it was the best fun I ever had.

I'm 24 now and ever since the end of 2011 my interest in online gaming has went down dramatically. I play most of my games in single-player mode now or I'll jump into one or two online games now and then (like 2 or 3 matches of FIFA) or I'll find a nice single-player game to get stuck into e.g. Skyrim or Tomb Raider. I got Halo 4 earlier this year after a long absence from the series (I hadn't played Halo Reach since 2011) and I only fitted in a small number of online matches before I got bored and played the campaign for a bit.

I played a small number of online ranked matches on FIFA 13 and I haven't even touched FIFA 14's online modes yet. My total number of games on FIFA 13 only hit 30 something all in a year. Not much really considering the hundreds of 10v10 matches I used to play from FIFA 10-12. The last time I really had some load of epic fun was playing Gears of War 3, I loved it. I haven't touched the game in nearly 2 years now. I haven't even bought Gears of War: Judgement yet. I must get it actually to see the story.

The first time I have actually gotten excited about playing online again was when GTA V announced GTA Online. Since it's unfortunate overload all week I haven't managed to play it yet. I'm still anticipating it when it gets fixed. Maybe when the Xbox One or PS4 comes out, which ever one I get (I could go for both of em if I can put a decent amount per week on each of em for preorder to cut the cost when i eventually decide to buy them) then maybe I'll dive back into online games again.

But right now, I've shared no interest in Call of Duty: Ghosts, Battlefield 4 (despite looking to download the beta just to try it), Gran Turismo 6, Forza 5 - none at all.

The closest I can get to playing competitive online games is with my girlfriend over Xbox Live for an hour or two. It's fun while it lasts but it gets boring after a while. Right now though she's very good at beating me at FIFA 14 offline...don't laugh :P

I would love to get back into it again. But I can't drive myself to find the perfect game to get stuck into, hence why I'm looking forward to GTA Online at the moment - that actually might redeem my interest.

I wonder if there is anyone that was on the same boat as me before they metaphorically jumped off....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Get a PC, consoles are miles behind when it comes to online gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Magill wrote: »
    Get a PC, consoles are miles behind when it comes to online gaming.

Consoles are miles behind when it comes to just about anything.

Well, I'm off. Have fun, everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Problem with online gaming is everyone takes it too seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Im kinda in the same boat.Big player of CoD(since cod2) and a bit of BF2.

Much prefer a good emersive single player game whether its the bioshock series or civ5.

What puts me off playing online isnt that I get bored but often that the online community is full of muppets.Sh1theads quitting fifa after going 1 nil down boils my p1ss.And that put me off it.

Also I find your taste in the types/genres of games change as you get older.Love rpgs now whereas a few years ago I wouldnt touch one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Games online with friends don't have to be competitive. I think you're missing a trick here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Dark Souls or Borderlands 2 ........ with people you know. Completely different from each other and completely different multiplayer experiences but both gave me a new multiplayer experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

I fukking despise demon/darksouls online.

Getting a$$holes coming in randomly trolling my single player game?na youre alright.If I want to get trolled online I'll go play CoD and get shot by some some twat sitting in a corner with a shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I delved into the whole online craic for a while when I first got my 360. I used to pump a fair few hours into Duke Nukem 3D, CoD:Blops, Left 4 Dead and one or two others. I've always been more of a single player kinda guy. I haven't bought Gold I'm a few years, because I'm just not really into it. I'm looking forward to the free weekend this week though. I might have a bit of old school craic with the lads from back home. Otherwise though, the most online multiplayer I play is the occasional game of Street Fighter on PS3. Most of my multiplayer would be done locally though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I think most of the lads here misinterpreted my point :p I didn't stop playing because I thought console gaming was sh!te. I love PC gaming just as much I play anything. And I also didn't stop playing because it was full of arsehóles. I sympathize though because I did experience a lot of p***ks in the 6 years I've played online. And I didn't mean competitive in a literal sense. I just call general online gameplay "competitive online". It's habit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

starcraft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

returnNull wrote: »

Getting a$$holes coming in randomly trolling my single player game?na youre alright.If I want to get trolled online I'll go play CoD and get shot by some some twat sitting in a corner with a shotgun.

If you don't like the invading aspect, I would remain hollow for the entire game or if you do need an NPC to help you out then disconnect from GFWL but don't sign out of it (if you're on PC), then you can reverse hollow and summon NPC's without fear of being invaded (however NPC invaders will invade such as Kirk)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm in a similar boat. Used to play a lot of online games, but now almost everything I play is single player.
    My reasons are these: I had 2 kids in the last 2 years. Single player is easier to pause! And I don't get as much time to play online. I think you need to put the hours in playing online to get to a decent level. If you're getting hammered online it's not fun. And sometimes you start up and get a laggy game, you quit and get another laggy one. With all the messing around you'd be well into the single player. And then you get arseholes cheating/ruining the game. Fifa you'd get the dickheads holding the ball with their keeper/fullbacks when they go a goal up. COD you get all sorts of knobends. It's good if you get a good game, but sometimes you just can't be bothered when you know within 2 minutes of turning on the console you'll be into a single player lag free/arsehole free game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Single player - you play at your own pace.

Multiplayer - you play at everyone else's pace (no kids, no job, probably 12).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cienciano wrote: »
    COD you get all sorts of knobends. It's good if you get a good game, but sometimes you just can't be bothered when you know within 2 minutes of turning on the console you'll be into a single player lag free/arsehole free game.
    Whilst playing BF3 (on the PC), sometimes I'd play random pub servers, but often I'd play on a couple of servers owned by certain clans, who I could jump onto their TeamSpeak channel, and have a laugh with them. May check if you can join a clan server whose members are 18+ and thus usually have a more level attitude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think its partly an age thing for some people, I used to be able to play Halo, Battlefield or COD4 online for hours on end before getting bored. These days, can't remember the last time I played Halo online, I've only played about 20 hours in total of BF3, and I bought Black Ops 2 nearly entirely for single player. Games just aren't as big a part of my life anymore.

One thing I will say though, is that co-op play still holds the same old magic. Every now and again I can play hours on end of Halo Reach, Dawn of War, and a few other titles when playing with friends - just not so much on my own anymore.

Still hoping something will 'grab' me soon all the same. Titanfall maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Random vanilla multiplayer does get boring

However playing with a group of friends and/or playing in a competitive setting e.g. climbing the ladder, going up through divisions, is much more interesting

Also, get a PC, much bigger variety, mods, MMO's, F2P, leagues, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Playing on your own, I would agree, it can become tiresome. But if you play with Brothers or Mates then online gaming is fantastic. BF3 with my brothers is unreal fun and a good laugh.

I would purchase one of the Source games; Counter Strike Source, Half-Life 2, etc. and start getting into the multiplayer mods that come with them. You have the excellent Garry's Mod, which includes many gamestyles, Trouble in Terrorist Time for instance.

Then there's the tense The Hidden, which is a mod of the Source games.

Also there's Zombie Panic Source and many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I never really got into online, I played the COD games online (back in the WW2 era of the game) and it was fun for a while but very repetitive and to basic to hold my attention.

I've played some sims online but my problem there is I don't have to the time to put in the practice I need to be competitive or in some cases just to not be in the way.

I play Richard burns rally online but that's just registering times you don't interact with the other players until after you've done the stage.

I've found most online to be a frenzy of repetitive small maps, the gaming is pretty basic compared to the story driven single player. GTA looks like it may be addressing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Maybe going off on a tangent but my favourite online multiplayer experiences ever were playing Wolfenstein:ET - it was the business! Had a great community back in the day, at least from the perspective of jumping into a random game and it still being a hard-fought and non-abusive contest. I don't play too much multiplayer anymore (maybe some L4D2 or TF2, oh and a good bit of LOL I suppose), but always play on random servers, if the community sucks so much that you feel that you only play with friends, it's a given that I'll just avoid playing that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Random online multiplayer on your own can be soul destroying. The same game when grouped with one or two guys you can get along with can turn it into a good laugh, especially if you have TeamSpeak or some other form of voice communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,874 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I love playing online but thanks to Eircom ****ers, I just dont get enough of time online.

Nothing pleases me more coming home from work and playing nuketown on black ops 1. I just adore that map

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Was never big into modern online multiplayer bar a few games I'd play with the brother some nights. At the moment, we're working through co-op Rainbow Six: Raven Shield and before that was Arma 2 / DayZ. Much prefer co-op to deathmatch style games though Chivalry was hilarious and was quite good at that. Also, I'm enjoying PayDay 2 which I play the odd night.

Used to run a smallish L4D community with around 200+ members which was great silly fun with modded L4D1 & 2 co-op servers. Seriously thinking about starting it up again as I miss those days and made lots of good friends from around the world through it.

Unreal Tournament + Rainbow Six back in the days of dial-up were great :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I used to dip into online gaming a lot. On both xbox and PC. I just got fed up of the boring, irritating elitist a-holes you get on almost ANY online game. You'll always get that bunch of [usually American] kids who think everyone besides them sucks. And they have the manners of pigs at a trough. So when I do go on now, I just mute all chat, it's too much a waste of energy to get into slagging matches with random strangers. Especially when most of them are whiney little brats :D I'm a grown man, ain't got no time fo' that!

I have mates online I could team up with, but we never seem to actually do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

It would have to be a very specific (read: non competitive) multiplayer game that I would get into. The only one Ive ever put tonnes of hours into is Left 4 Dead 2. Just love zombie games and the fact that its co-op against AI. I never bother with other modes.

My memories of delving into "real" online MP games like Counter Strike, Battlefield etc are, spawning, running for 10 seconds, getting shot from nowhere. This cycle is repeated until I lose the will and just quit.

The problem I find is, as others have said, you are invariably up against people who take the whole thing very very seriously and put in a serious amount of time honing their skills. If you dont want to put in the 40/50 hours to become something other than canon fodder, if you dont take it seriously and if you don't really want to improve and would rather just have a laugh, then you're usually in the wrong place.

Im much more into doing things at my pace, where there is a gradual learning curve and mistakes arent punished on the double. So SP gaming suits me far better.

Forgot to add, the only 2 games I'm doing online atm are GTA V, and world of tanks ... which is free to play, and at a much slower pace than the likes of BF or COD, that suits me fine. As i am a bit crap at FPS in general. I would always be that 'canon fodder' as mentioned above. Tanks, I can deal with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Your taste in games tends to change as you mature, or you have phases where you will/won't play games. This is true with almost everyone I know that plays games a lot. I don't think about it too much - if I feel I can't get into any games, online or off, then I'll just find something else to do... preferably something productive. OP, you may find yourself back into online gaming after a few months, or a year or even more.

Jimmies status: Rustled.

What annoys me, is that I would love to get more into the FPS war games. I love the style about them, the guns, the tanks, the explosiveness! The graphics are amazing on the latest bunch and the sounds even better. BUT ... since they tend to put a lot more work into the online, multi-player aspect, it turns us lovers of a good SP campaign right off. They're always way too short, and linear. While the online side get huge, more varied free-roam maps.

Of course anyone can jump in to join the online play. But like we said, if you're not very good at FPS, it's not a whole lot of fun to just repeatedly get taken out - often where you spawn, because the hardcore players know every inch of the maps. They hang out at spawn spots for easy kills. You are often dead before you have even got your bearings.

I just wish they'd make the single player campaigns much more intricate. Or at least set it so you are matched up more evenly with other n00bs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

You're doing it wrong :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

gamercfc wrote: »
    I think most of the lads here misinterpreted my point :p I didn't stop playing because I thought console gaming was sh!te. I love PC gaming just as much I play anything. And I also didn't stop playing because it was full of arsehóles. I sympathize though because I did experience a lot of p***ks in the 6 years I've played online. And I didn't mean competitive in a literal sense. I just call general online gameplay "competitive online". It's habit.
    You can't stop PC elitists ruining a thread with their empty "PC is better" parroting.

Advertisement