Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optimum Home Network Setup: Fibre, eircom & D-Link Routers, Switches, etc.

Options
  • 02-10-2013 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Below is my basic/simple diagram of my home network.

274144.jpg

Some notes:

- Wireless symbol on diagram is just to show the number of devices that access the D-Link router wirelessly. There is no access point.
    - Wireless transmission is turned off on the eircom router. Only change made from default settings.
    - Both routers are in the same room upstairs, central to the whole house. Neither in bridge mode.
    - All devices not shown as wireless are wired connections.
    - Cat 5/6 used for all wired connections

So I had the eircom router installed yesterday and upgraded my broadband to fibre. Here are my stats:

3004097869.png

I was expecting to see a noticeable change in wireless performance and wired performance. The stats indicate all is working well but I am wondering if there is some configuration I need to do or changes I need to make to my set-up to improve / maximise performance.

Goals/Objectives:

- Optimize home network to be as efficient as possible
    - Maximise wireless range and speed

Expertise and guidance welcome. Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Ok so from looking at this recent thread "Visual map of my network - poor design?" it seems we have a similar set-up/need.

It would appear I should perhaps consider swapping out my D-Link DIR655 for the Mikrotik RouterBoard RB951Ui-2HnD.

Opinions? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Ok so from looking at this recent thread "Visual map of my network - poor design?" it seems we have a similar set-up/need.

It would appear I should perhaps consider swapping out my D-Link DIR655 for the Mikrotik RouterBoard RB951Ui-2HnD.

Opinions? :o

Go for it, but be prepared there is a massive learning curve with Mikrotik.

You'd really need to get the Zyxel in bridge mode and add the Eircom PPPoE details on the Mikrotik. This avoids double NAT issues. Other than that your network looks fine other than trying to get the TP Link gigabit switch plugged directly into the Mikrotik (if possible)

So by changing to the Mikrotik would I see a noticeable improvement in wireless coverage and speed? Also would one router be enough for home use/coverage or what would be best to extend coverage range of the Mikrotik ?

I was looking at purchasing from here http://www.irishwireless.net/rb951ui-2hnd , trying to keep it local or is there a better recommended retailer?

When you say "be prepared there is a massive learning curve with Mikrotik", does it work straight out of the box and the learning is in optimizing or you need to configure it in order to get it running? Is there a basic quick start guide or does the tips and tricks thread cover where I need to start?

Even with my current set-up I guess I should be running the Zyxel in bridge mode, right or?

Why do you suggest getting the TP Link gigabit switch plugged directly into the Mikrotik? I thought daisy chaining was ok? All switches are Gigabit.

So by changing to the Mikrotik would I see a noticeable improvement in wireless coverage and speed? Also would one router be enough for home use/coverage or what would be best to extend coverage range of the Mikrotik ?

Yes you'd see a massive improvement but every situation is different, you may have other obstacles, concrete floors, steel structure etc. Just get one and find out.
    I was looking at purchasing from here http://www.irishwireless.net/rb951ui-2hnd , trying to keep it local or is there a better recommended retailer?

They're fine, nice price too if they have it in stock (they don't atm)
    When you say "be prepared there is a massive learning curve with Mikrotik", does it work straight out of the box and the learning is in optimizing or you need to configure it in order to get it running? Is there a basic quick start guide or does the tips and tricks thread cover where I need to start?

Yes, it will work out of the box, but you'll have to add PPPoE details and may wish to open ports, most of this is covered in the tips and tricks thread, but you'll have to modify this to suit your own network.
    Even with my current set-up I guess I should be running the Zyxel in bridge mode, right or?

Yes, at the moment you are Natting twice which causes problems. Also, games consoles like uPnP (plug and play), where they can open their own ports in the firewall, having a second device routing means the ports get opened in the first router but remain closed in the Zyxel.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/fixing_double_nat.htm
    Why do you suggest getting the TP Link gigabit switch plugged directly into the Mikrotik? I thought daisy chaining was ok? All switches are Gigabit.

Daisy chaining is fine and what you have is fine and will work fine, but the second switches are as a whole limited by the Gigabit uplink of the first, Gigabit is the speed of each port. At the moment both TP Link switches share the Gigabit uplink of the Dlink switch, plug them both into the Mikrotik and they'll have Gigabit uplink each.

smee again wrote: »
    Daisy chaining is fine and what you have is fine and will work fine, but the second switches are as a whole limited by the Gigabit uplink of the first, Gigabit is the speed of each port. At the moment both TP Link switches share the Gigabit uplink of the Dlink switch, plug them both into the Mikrotik and they'll have Gigabit uplink each.

What I done was ran a CAT6 cable from the router in the office to the attic into the D-Link switch. Then I ran single CAT6 cables from the D-Link switch to other rooms in the house where in some cases there are multiple devices so I added the TP Link switches in the individual rooms to expand my wired options, rather than running multiple cables from the attic down.

From what you have said I see I have now limited myself. Hmmm....

• Advertisement

What I done was ran a CAT6 cable from the router in the office to the attic into the D-Link switch. Then I ran single CAT6 cables from the D-Link switch to other rooms in the house where in some cases there are multiple devices so I added the TP Link switches in the individual rooms to expand my wired options, rather than running multiple cables from the attic down.

From what you have said I see I have now limited myself. Hmmm....

Not at all, what you have is fine. It's all bells and whistles.

Thanks, can you just explain the impact of my switch setup? Do you mean each switch would be sharing the same 1 Gigabit therefore only getting 0.5 each or ? What would be the impact on internet speed, upload and download?

Sorry just trying to understand what I am losing.

No impact, your internal lan is many times faster than your speed to the internet, with gigiabit you have plenty of overheads. What are you going to be running that would go anywhere near putting gigabit under any sort of pressure? Your house is futureproof for yrs and yrs

So to put my router in bridge mode I need to change something in the Network Setting -> Broadband configuration.

Current entries are:

274404.JPG

Page 52 of the manual discusses bridge mode but does not tell what to do with existing entries?

Do I just edit existing entries? Delete and replace? Add new in addition? And what types of entries are needed PTM, ATM and Ethernet? :confused::o

So to put my router in bridge mode I need to change something in the Network Setting -> Broadband configuration.

Current entries are:

274404.JPG

Page 52 of the manual discusses bridge mode but does not tell what to do with existing entries?

Do I just edit existing entries? Delete and replace? Add new in addition? And what types of entries are needed PTM, ATM and Ethernet? :confused::o

I've no idea, have you done a search here on Boards, it's most likely been asked before.

• Advertisement

smee again wrote: »
    I've no idea, have you done a search here on Boards, it's most likely been asked before.

I had asked in the thread on my router but not reply so far, have bumped it again. Let's see...

Are the eircom PPPoE settings also the same for eFibre? :confused:

Basic modem settings:

Username: eircom@eircom.net
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Primary DNS: 213.94.190.194
    Secondary DNS: 213.94.190.236

My F1000 router seems to show different DNS servers.

- Primary DNS server: 159.134.0.1 (dns1.eircom.net)
    - Secondary DNS server: 159.134.0.2 (dns2.eircom.net)

Basic modem settings:

Those are Eircoms new DNS servers, the old ones are still active for historical reasons. I've no idea if PPPoE is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Basic modem settings:

you must use mtu size 1484 or the f1000 will boot loop

you must use mtu size 1484 or the f1000 will boot loop

Thanks, so the eircom PPPoE settings are the same then for fibre?

So enabled bridge mode on the Eircom ZyXEL F1000:

- Go to Network settings -> Broadband -> VDSL -> Modify -> change the MTU to 1484 -> Apply
    - Go to Network settings -> Broadband -> VDSL -> Modify -> change the Mode to Bridge (leave VLAN on 10) -> Apply
    - Reboot your modem

Then set-up PPPoE on my D-Link DIR-655.

MTU 1484

And finally ordered the MIKROTIK RouterBOARD RB951G to improve things further. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭eddie_

hi does anyone now if you can have a phone line connected through a network switch, to connect a fax machine to.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

eddie_ wrote: »
    hi does anyone now if you can have a phone line connected through a network switch, to connect a fax machine to.thanks

Answered in another thread,
    You should create a new thread to ask questions that are not relevant to the ongoing thread :)

Advertisement