Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visual map of my network - poor design?

Options
  • 12-09-2013 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

I'm upgrading my 2 DIR655 routers for the Asus RT N66U and am looking to improve my network.

Here is what I propose: (note I'm using 3 switches...I'm not sure if there is a better configuration)
    20130912_113845.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Looks fine, get gigabit switches so you have the overheads for daisy chaining them. The other option is to cable from each individual device to a central switch, but this may not be possible.

Those Asus are ridiculously overpriced for a household router, you'd get an enterprise Mikrotik router for a third the price, thread about them here (this is even a newer more powerful one)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

smee again wrote: »
    Looks fine, get gigabit switches so you have the overheads for daisy chaining them. The other option is to cable from each individual device to a central switch, but this may not be possible.

Those Asus are ridiculously overpriced for a household router, you'd get an enterprise Mikrotik router for a third the price, thread about them here (this is even a newer more powerful one)
    hi thanks for the input smee again (great name by the way - love this joke)
    The Mikrotik seems impressive, but I do like my GUI and don't mind paying the extra for it.
    Unfortunately I can't add the extra cables; that would be ideal.

Last question; I sent back the AC version of that Asus router as it didn't cover my whole house. So I dropped down to the N version with the mindset to get a wifi extender. What would you recommend?

The Mikrotik has a web GUI, it's just much more configurable with their Winbox app. I guarantee the Mikrotik would cover the house, I have one setup as a hotspot (with time limited ticketing system) covering a 12 bedroom 2 story stone wall guest house and restaurant :D

Do not add a range extender (repeater), it's been argued on here many times that they half the throughput of your network and cause lag. What you need is an AP (access point), plug it into a switch port or cable it to the main router. Set it to a wireless channel well away from your original router, give it the same SSID and encryption key and your devices will roam.

oops... posted to the wrong thread then... ah well.

Smee_again, you have me convinced... I'll buy this one
    I wonder is the "Ui" any different... €60 is very reasonable.

Sniipe wrote: »
    oops... posted to the wrong thread then... ah well.

Smee_again, you have me convinced... I'll buy this one
    I wonder is the "Ui" any different... €60 is very reasonable.

That's the non gigabit one, get the one I posted

• Advertisement

Cheers just bought it there for 71Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Mikrotik is a great router.
    There is a bit of a learning curve but they have a great community.

There is a web ui which is pretty good.
    I use their Winbox utility which can be downloaded from their site.

Amazing router for the price.
    They're basically an enterprise solution.
    Their bigger routers are used by wireless carriers as core routers.
    And can still be got for just a few hundred euro.

Well, impressed with the Tik then?

Well, impressed with the Tik then?

Yes - I've still some more tweaking to do to get it just right, but so far I'm impressed.

• Advertisement

... I was so impressed - I bought another.

Sniipe wrote: »
    ... I was so impressed - I bought another.

Atta boy!! Told ye, these things are mental.

You'll also never stop playing with them. I've gone to the trouble and have QOS fully sorted (for educational purposes). I have my Mikrotik marking packets (ip->firewall->mangle) to and from my satellite boxes (dreamboxes, need QOS or they can freeze). I have a parent queue guaranteed 300kbps that i throw them in (and important stuff, DNS packets, source game packets, teamspeak & ventrillo packets etc) with priority set at 1 (highest). In a second parent queue (lower priority) all my devices have priorities and bandwidth targets and limits set (my phone and laptop get priority 3, missis's phone 4, kids laptops 6, random devices get priority 7). Bittorrent and Usenet packets are also packet marked are given the lowest priority 8. It works a treat no matter what happens on my network. I've two teenagers who's music library is on Youtube and never affects anything on my 8mbit connection.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Atta boy!! Told ye, these things are mental.

You'll also never stop playing with them. I've gone to the trouble and have QOS fully sorted (for educational purposes). I have my Mikrotik marking packets (ip->firewall->mangle) to and from my satellite boxes (dreamboxes, need QOS or they can freeze). I have a parent queue guaranteed 300kbps that i throw them in (and important stuff, DNS packets, source game packets, teamspeak & ventrillo packets etc) with priority set at 1 (highest). In a second parent queue (lower priority) all my devices have priorities and bandwidth targets and limits set (my phone and laptop get priority 3, missis's phone 4, kids laptops 6, random devices get priority 7). Bittorrent and Usenet packets are also packet marked are given the lowest priority 8. It works a treat no matter what happens on my network. I've two teenagers who's music library is on Youtube and never affects anything on my 8mbit connection.

I have the Asus ac66u ..wish I had seen this thread before investing.

But not to worry.. I'm trying to get my head around the QOS service that is on it.
    Your post above makes it somewhat clearer...thanks

nothing configured yet!!

Would it be worth putting my Amiko Alien 2 on some QOS settings.
    I also stream lots of HD content from really a 'cold';) film site on my ATV2.... would a QOS setting for this be also beneficial?

the rest of the network traffic would be iPad(You tubing) NAS with embedded bitorrent client working away.

So current network devices:
    -Amiko A2 STB
    -Buffalo NAS
    -ATV2
    -Ipad
    -Laptop (very rarely)

Oh Im with UPC 50MG

That depends on whether it needs it or not, with a 50mbit connection QOS may not be as important as Youtube etc only consume about 4mbit, Netflix 5mbit bandwidth leaving plenty of overhead. It makes a big difference here with only 8mbit DSL.

QOS on the Asus won't be anything like the Mikrotik, it won't do packet marking or queue trees, but will probably just allow you to do basic layer 7 priorities or one device over another but is most likely much easier to configure. See :D
    http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/Firewall/Mangle
    http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Queue

or even this :P
    http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Basic_traffic_shaping_based_on_layer-7_protocols

Advertisement