Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish Kefir

Options
  • 29-09-2013 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I’ve been looking into the benefits of kefir recently and I came across the attached kefir in our local polish food store.

Anyone know if this would be as good as home cultured kefir?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭waylander2002

ive been using th

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭waylander2002

ive been using the first and adding to a porridge made with buckwheat from the polish shop, far more filling and better for you than oat porridge

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tom75

wartość energetyczna - energy value (energy)
    białko - protein
    węglowodany - carbohydrates
    tłuszcz - fat

Much more better then all the 'probiotic' yogurt-type drinks, and much more cheaper.
    Constituents of kefir:
    Micro-organisms: lactic acid bacteria, yeasts
    Fermentation Products: carbon dioxide, ethanol (alcohol)
    Nutrients: protein from milk, polysaccharide
    Vitamins or pro-vitamins: vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin D, vitamin K2, folic acid, nicotinic acid
    Minerals: calcium, iron, iodine
    Water
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MattD1349

As good as the shop bought variety is, you can't beat making your own. Plus if you do it right you'll also get pure liquid whey which you can use to make protein shakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

ive been using the first and adding to a porridge made with buckwheat from the polish shop, far more filling and better for you than oat porridge

I found this product recently too, I was wondering was I doing it no good by heating it in the microwave in my porridge. I actually mixed it 50:50 with milk as it was too thick when I made porridge with it the first time. I was thinking I'll try it 50:50 with water next time.
    I might look into that buckwheat porridge, I got some rye bread there too to see what its like.
    MattD1349 wrote: »
    As good as the shop bought variety is, you can't beat making your own. Plus if you do it right you'll also get pure liquid whey which you can use to make protein shakes.

This sounds interesting, any links? Im still just getting started on water kefir and Im not sure how successful I am at it yet. I might try milk kefir later when I get set up and figure out what I doing.
    I'm also considering fermenting veg, carrots and cabbage, originally I was looking for sauerkraut as I read its good for certain things like aiding digestion, which suprised me being made from cabbage. I couldnt find it anywhere except a polish shop.
    Im even considering now to make my own yogurts and maybe sausages just to experiment, Im wondering can kefir be added or somehow used to make or add probiotic components even of meat products?
    Id considered growing some food in baskets up the sides of walls in my small garden, maybe even a small wall mounted greenhouse, maybe eventually, dont know how successful that would be, plus never had the time to get into it yet.

Anyone any ideas how much growth is expected in water kefir grains, Id visions of being overgrown with the stuff mutiplying out of control and problems of how to get rid of it, I was thinking some large percent, any ideas per batch? increase of 10%, 5% ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 dar2054

Anybody got kefir grains spare?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

There's a thread already on kefir grains

EDIT: actually just saw you've found them already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mike_K

Be careful! Using toomuch probiotics products could dmake a desequiulibrium of your intestinal flora! Like everything: we have to eat all foods with MODERATION !!! Good race!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dar2054

Thanks lads but im looking for milk kefir do you know were i can buy it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

dar2054 wrote: »
    Anybody got kefir grains spare?

Water kefir, yes
    Oops, on phone, didn't see that it's milk kefir you want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement