Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Global warming is real and humans are responsbile"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The intergovernmental panel for climate change has agreed that global warming is real and humans are responsible. So are we going to waste time debating with the skeptics forever or are we going to do something about it.

Article below:

If I were you I would not worry about global warming, population growth will affect us first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Rubeter

allibastor wrote: »
    If I were you I would not worry about global warming, population growth will affect us first.
    Population growth itself, that is the actual people ourselves aren't a problem, the planet is big enough to fit many many more of us. Population growth results in problems like water and food shortages, and the demand for energy results in guess what? You got it climate change. ;)

What you said there is like saying, Don't worry about the food shortage, population growth will get us first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

we should be more concerned about Fukashima, who's effects are way more immediate and will be devastating... and the BP oil spill which has been out of the headlines in the last 2 years, but their trial has resumed.. and guess what, BP are trying to back out of their own compensation proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

we should be more concerned about Fukashima, who's effects are way more immediate and will be devastating... and the BP oil spill which has been out of the headlines in the last 2 years, but their trial has resumed.. and guess what, BP are trying to back out of their own compensation proposal.
    Unfortunately, Fukushima as bad as it is, is nothing compared to what will happen with climate change.
    Fukushima has resulted in some nuclear contamination and will probably leave a part of Japanese coastline uninhabitable

Global warming could raise global sea levels by up to 1 metre by the end of the century.

This will devastate coastal cities all around the world. Even with ridiculously expensive coastal defences, there will be huge consequences for many of the most densely populated places on earth. This is the prediction if global temperatures increase by 2 degrees from the 1900 average temperature. If increases are higher than all bets are off. We could see ocean rises of 2 metres or more within the lifetimes of children that are alive today. And sea levels will continue to rise into the 22nd century. To ignore this problem is absolutely insanely short sighted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

But there will always be immediate problems that seem or indeed are more serious,we will have to face up to it at some stage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

Akrasia wrote: »
    One of the articles you linked to was co-authored by Willie Soon.
    Soon has been exclusively funded by the oil and gas industry since 2002
    http://www.desmogblog.com/willie-soon

Another article you linked to, one was published in 'Energy and Environment' which is not a reputable journal

The other article you linked to I have never heard of the journal or the authors so I can't comment on it's reliability.

One thing that is obvious however, is that you are not looking for the best possible research on the topic. You are looking for any research that you think supports your pre-existing position. This is called cherry picking and it is what lobbiests and science deniers do.

There are zero fields in science where there is 100% agreement by all scientists. This is why we talk about scientific consensus as the measure of what we accept to be true. If you want, you can easily find research articles that deny Evolution, Plate Tectonics, Germ theory of disease etc.

When the vast majority of the highest quality research points to one conclusion, we need to take it seriously. Pointing to fringe studies and then declaring that we can not act because there is still 'debate' and 'uncertainty' is the strategy of the Filibuster. It's about shutting down action by perpetual debate, and that is what you are trying to do on this issue

Willie Soon is a physicist at Harvard and a editor of a Peer Review Journal. He's not a low grade scientist. Descrediting him due to his funding disregards the whole peer review process and is the stuff of bleating fanatics. If you want to attack him, the best method would be to review the paper I have linked and publish your own findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Unfortunately, Fukushima as bad as it is, is nothing compared to what will happen with climate change.
    Fukushima has resulted in some nuclear contamination and will probably leave a part of Japanese coastline uninhabitable

Global warming could raise global sea levels by up to 1 metre by the end of the century.

This will devastate coastal cities all around the world. Even with ridiculously expensive coastal defences, there will be huge consequences for many of the most densely populated places on earth. This is the prediction if global temperatures increase by 2 degrees from the 1900 average temperature. If increases are higher than all bets are off. We could see ocean rises of 2 metres or more within the lifetimes of children that are alive today. And sea levels will continue to rise into the 22nd century. To ignore this problem is absolutely insanely short sighted.

take up weather forecasting bud :)

Filibuster wrote: »
    Willie Soon is a physicist at Harvard
    No he's not
    He works as an astrophysicist for the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
    He's not a low grade scientist. Descrediting him due to his funding disregards the whole peer review process and is the stuff of bleating fanatics. If you want to attack him, the best method would be to review the paper I have linked and publish your own findings.

He has discredited himself when his previous research was shown to have used a corrupt peer review process.
    A previous paper that he co-wrote with Sallie Baliunas was so poor that it caused a Mutiny amongst the editorial staff at the Journal Climate research and the article was eventually repudiated by the publisher

He was accused of misrepresenting the research he was using as sources for his conclusion, and many of the original researchers spoke out and confirmed that Soon and Sallie Baliunas had misrepresented the science to force their own conclusions.

Can I ask you on what basis do you think a single journal article by a disgraced researcher is more convincing than all of the evidence reviewed in the IPCC AR5 report?

Hitchens wrote: »
    take up weather forecasting bud :)
    what are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

what are you on about?

Think he is saying words like if/could are used in the weather game they never use proven/defiantly. Just like the wording of the report most lightly/probably. So when there wrong like last time they can say "oh we have tweaked the model again" this time its probably correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Where to begin?

Climate and weather are different things. Weather is the day to day and short term events. Climate is the statistical average of the weather of a region over a long duration. It's like the difference between predicting a the exact swirling pattern of cigarette smoke in a room versus analysing the likelihood of the end position of the smoke spiral in the room. If the experiment was repeated for several days with the room conditions being identical. Estimating the weather is like trying to model in real-time where exactly the particles of smoke are. Estimating the climate is just analysing the frequency of distributions of various smoke spirals.

Soon's paper should never have been published. It showed several misunderstandings of basic climate science and proxies. Not only that but several people he referenced were peeved at how he was misrepresenting their work The paper has been thoroughly thrashed and should be forgotten about. But yet, like that hockey stick, it keeps getting dragged up and I don't know why. I really don't. :confused:

Finally, someone remarked about if there being refutable evidence why is there a debate? The thing is as hard as it is to say there isn't really a debate. There's a consensus. However, being pedantic for a second a quick look at human history and the nature of people around you will tell you that humans are more likely to believe what they wish regardless of the actual facts. That's why we have science in the first place. The beauty of science, is that even in climate science you must assume every conclusion to be flawed and wrong. That's why I love reading papers actually challenging our current models. A distinction needs to be drawn though between challenging stuff and just cherry picking crap for the sake of it. The latter is generally frowned upon. Put simply, if the tactic is what you see in creationism and tobacco denial then it's not generally good science. John Christy is some I like. Last I checked he didn't agree with AGW hypothesis either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

But there will always be immediate problems that seem or indeed are more serious,we will have to face up to it at some stage

how are we going to change the Sun Spot Cycle?

*by the way, we were almost hit by a large asteroid during the weekend*

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Fed up with these asteroids.
    Bring back the Kardashian's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Didn't you ever watch Sunshine?:p

On a serious note, tell me the effects of the sun spot cycle on the radiative forcing? Quantify it for me. (This was already discussed earlier in the thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

kneemos wrote: »
    The huge temperature increases we were due to experience.

Could I have a link to this?

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Did you just prove your own point wrong there? So he was under no pressure to arrive at a conclusion that the Government would support. However he was fired after publishing findings that the Government couldn't support?

That's a clear message to other scientists that if you don't publish results that suit us then you won't be asked to do research by us again and thus won't get another nice paycheck.

You're missing the point. That is, most scientists have integrity that supersedes financial gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

kc90 wrote: »
    Could I have a link to this?

No.

kneemos wrote: »
    No.

Why? I've never seen a prediction with massive temp rises. Would like to have a look.

I already mentioned the sun and got nowhere as it's an inconvenient fact scientist have no clue what it's long-term cycle effect has on the weather (they can tell you the sun makes the weather and weather effects the climate). All they can do is tell you in the past it was hot and cold. They cant tell you if there was a massive sunspot solar storm cycles in the past when it was hot or cold. They only have very limited data on how the sun functions from the satellites that are monitoring it. The shorter time you monitor something and use that empirical evidence to make massive long-term cycle predictions the more you compound the errors it generates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

karma_ wrote: »
    So you align yourself with one mans opinions over the 95% of actual climate scientists who tell you otherwise? That's just crazy.

I respect Bellamy, but he's not a climate scientist . . .

Think Darwin, and his rediculous theory of evolution which totally went against the grain of thinking of the time.
    Then think of those who dared to argue that the earth was indeed round (and not flat) :eek:

Ballamy and his ilk dare to suggest that global warming is part of the natural cycle of the planet, and for this, he and his like have been sidetracked (for the moment) . . .

May I suggest that his day will come, and that attitudes will change in favour of a global warming which is occuring as part of the planet's natural cycle (possibly with a little help from mankind)? < questionmark.

I say this, as a member of the 5% of heritics :))

• Advertisement

Hate to point his out in a good post but no one ever thought the earth was flat even as far back as the Greeks for example they new the earth was round

All i see are averages and satellite data is only from the 70s the other temperatures are estimated via core samples and so on and only from 100 years ago odd that they only start there to prove somehow it was industrialisation. What are the figures 100 years before that ? Would the averages be the same I wonder why they have not gone back another 100 years or even 1000 or 10000 funny there fixated on industrialisation. Not saying that it has not contributed in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭FootShooter

LordSutch wrote: »
    Think Darwin, and his rediculous theory of evolution which totally went against the grain of thinking of the time.
    Then think of those who dared to argue that the earth was indeed round (and not flat) :eek:

Ballamy and his ilk dare to suggest that global warming is part of the natural cycle of the planet, and for this, he and his like have been sidetracked (for the moment) . . .

May I suggest that his day will come, and that attitudes will change in favour of a global warming which is occuring as part of the planet's natural cycle (possibly with a little help from mankind)? < questionmark.

Darwin had extensive proof and observations. Bellamy has no legitimate evidence that the climate change today is part of the natural cycle. None of the natural causes of climate change can explain the rapid rate of the changing climate today. There is nothing that indicates Earth should be warming now due to natural causes. According to historical trends, Earth should be in a cooling period right now, but because humans have taken over as the dominant forcing of the climate, Earth is warming.

All i see are averages and satellite data is only from the 70s the other temperatures are estimated via core samples and so on and only from 100 years ago odd that they only start there to prove somehow it was industrialisation. What are the figures 100 years before that ? Would the averages be the same I wonder why they have not gone back another 100 years or even 1000 or 10000 funny there fixated on industrialisation. Not saying that it has not contributed in some way.

What. Some core samples go back several million years. The data is out there.

This study from Stanford says if the trend continues we would experience in the 21st century changes in climate that are comparable in magnitude to the largest changes the past 65 million years, but is orders of magnitude more rapid.

Also data from ice core samples are not estimates, they are reconstructions. Usually by using isotropic analysis. Quite accurate reconstructions as well, ask any paleoclimatologist.

Do you also have the data from observation of the sun for that period and not just temperature ? Can you ask a climatologist what happens before an ice age occurs and give you a definitive answer. Remember were overdue one.

I don't want to come across as a denier but overly averaged out data is not the way to prove there point the model was wrong before (Wild temperature changes and sea level) now they have tweaked it will it be tweaked again in another 10 years as they were wrong again.

Do you also have the data from observation of the sun for that period and not just temperature ? Can you ask a climatologist what happens before an ice age occurs and give you a definitive answer. Remember were overdue one.

Which period and which data? I already linked to data going back to 1880-1900 showing the correlation between temperature and solar activity. It shows that since 1950, like the IPCC says, 100% of warming has been caused by man.
    Read more here: http://skepticalscience.com/solar-activity-sunspots-global-warming-intermediate.htm

No an ice age is not overdue, as we are in an ice age right now evident by the permanent polar ice sheets.

fine i was trying to keep it to terms general people had herd of we are in an interglacial phase (warmer smaller icecaps) and not a glacial one (very large could be close to equator caps) people have heard of iceage and know it goes very cold

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Evolution still has a "Debate" it's called creationism. Climate science is around with almost a century. There was the scientific debate a consensus was reached, like in the case of evolution. That consensus may be wrong but Bellamy is never going to be the one prove it. Svensmark, Christy? Maybe but they need to be given credit they're going about it right way. Simply crying from the high heavens that something is wrong is what the Church did on Galileo and Darwin - and that's what Bellamy, Creationists and "hollow earthists" and several others do. There isn't a debate in science because it's really difficult to have one because there is little suggest natural variation can account for the current observed rates of warming.
    Earth's orbit? Nope that's stable.
    Cosmic Rays? Not enough.
    Volcanic eruptions? Not significant enough.
    Cloud dispersal? Controversial but no indication as of yet that's it significant. Current thinking is leading towards clouds contributing to warming.
    Earth's tilt? Precession is occurring but won't impact climate for at least another 10,000 years.
    Solar Cycle? Even if we get a solar minimum for the next century the current projection is it's not going to be enough to stop the planet warming. It may however slow it a bit.
    Natural Greenhouse cycle? When compared to the aeons before the industrial age these shouldn't give rise to variation and rapidity of warming we're observing at the moment.
    Ocean currents and tectonic plate movements? Currents have changed slightly and plates movement's are a difficult area to analyse that a currently being looked at. Purely from the standpoint of warming, no matter what's causing it, is imparting more energy on the earth and it's not quite clear what impact this may have on earthquake sensitive zones. Currently the hypothesis is that volcanic eruptions will become more likely and frequency of earthquakes will increase but these will be minor earthquakes leading to one ponder if higher magnitude quakes will actually decrease.

As Sherlock would say once you've eliminated all the factors whatever remains, no matter how improbable, is probably the truth? Again the consensus could be wrong but every facet of our climate has been analysed in detail for almost a century now. And the picture that's emerged is that the climate is warming and currently we can't seem to find a fingerprint that implicates that natural variation is the driving factor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Rubeter

The skeptics here are the ones who would be arguing against Darwin, with the attitude " I don't like it, it must be wrong".
    Nobody argued the Earth was flat (the Greeks accurately measured the circumference 1000's of years ago), the only people who might have thought that would have been the "less enlightened" (think peasant playing in the mud a-la Monty Python).

You are a skeptic not because there is evidence to back up your point (there isn't any), but because you don't like the idea, it is yourself who has attitudes in common with the Church during Galileo's time or Fundie Christians today.
    You are the "dissenting voice" alright but not the one you think, you are the voice opposing rationality. ;) That is how you will go down in history, as one of them.

Advertisement