Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenroe

Options
  • 27-09-2013 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Did it deserve to be axed ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

No, absolutely not.

However, it had gone very stale and needed major freshening up.

Unfortunately RTE felt it had run it's course and were not prepared to this and decided to concentrate resources on Fair City.

It 'jumped the shark' when Miley shagged Fidelma in the hayshed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

What if we all started with Glenroe from the very beginning, switched on one episode Sunday night at 8:30 and gave our comments on what happened?

So who's in? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

What if we all started with Glenroe from the very beginning, switched on one episode Sunday night at 8:30 and gave our comments on what happened?

So who's in? :P

Let's pretend it's September 1983.

Where will we source the episodes? I didn't record any.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gobo99

Biddy dies!
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I hated Glenroe at the time and still cannot see its attraction. Apart from it being a bit of a laugh! I am unsure of what 1983-1986 episodes were like as I didn't watch these and cannot remember much of the 1987-1993 ones either. But, the ones I do remember from 1994 to 2001 were pretty poor. The family were addicts and thus I often had no choice but to see many episodes.

BUT: did it deserve to be axed? I can't answer. I don't know what the early episodes were like and know the later ones were not written by the original writer. Certainly, the programme that followed it (On Home Ground) was more of the same (it was like a later season Glenroe sans Dinny and Miley with a GAA focus) and had the feel as someone else once said of a feature length Barry's Tea ad! Fair City more or less took its place Sundays ever after.

What were Glenroe's main faults? I think it was mainly silly characters doing silly things and saying silly things. When the focus was on Dick Moran, it kept things interesting. A good actor and character. Dinny and Miley were more suited as comic characters and would have been perfect in Killinaskully as rivals of Dan Clancy. But Glenroe was a soap not a comedy. Biddy's character was often not consistent. She somehow went almost automatically from religious conservative housewife to atheist contradicter of the church overnight!!

Fair City had innocent starts in the late 1980s too but developed into a far more compelling soap that was at its best when the storylines involved drug dealers. By 2001, Glenroe was in its final year and could not compete with Billy Meehan who dominated 2001s Fair City series. In the era of Love/Hate, I think people want to see more Nidge than Miley today somehow. A reflection of more innocent times or a cash cow with no invention, Glenroe definitely belongs in its era and it was clear it was not reflective of 2001 Ireland. It could have been revamped (look at how the UK's equivalent Emmerdale Farm became Emmerdale?) but no one seemed interested: Mick Lally wanted to move on and Mary McEvoy already had. Other major actors in the series were dead as well and others wanted to do other things. The original writer (Wesley Burrowes) had left it long before, too, and only occasionally contributed the odd episode (admittedly, the ones he wrote were much better).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Bring it back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

road_high wrote: »
    Bring it back :D

It wouldn't be the same without Miley, though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Bring it back by all means but not 5 nights a week. One badly made irish soap is one thing but 2? Thats more than I could cope with. What about using kids from old series as main characters? Some lovely women on it back in the day.

Bring it back by all means but not 5 nights a week. One badly made irish soap is one thing but 2? Thats more than I could cope with. What about using kids from old series as main characters? Some lovely women on it back in the day.

The new Glenroe has to have Tom Vaughn-Lawlor and Peter Coonan as the main characters and be written by Stuart Carolan. The theme would be Dublin criminals relocating to a rural area and upsetting the lives of the locals (the sons and daughters of Miley and co).

Always thought it would have worked better with a couple of episodes a week.

Your plan would only be credible if they used the same actors/actresses.

• Advertisement

Soaps become tiresome if they're on too often. Pressure on production team to come up with new storylines and dialogue becomes small talk chit chat. Fair city was good in early days but now it's on 4 nights a week the storylines and acting have gone downhill. Anyway if Glenroe came back Fair City would suffer seeing as some of its cast would have to leave to play Glenroe characters.

Do you remember The Sullivans being broadcast by RTE?

It became the butt of jokes from journalists and TV guide writers in Ireland. It was shown once a week [and bumped for snooker or showjumping] and ran from 1978 until the late 1990s. The typical comments were "the soap that's running for twice as long as the war in which it's set".

In Australia it was shown five times a week and evolved at a natural pace.

• Site Banned Posts: 23 Bebo Rocks

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

It used to be on thursday at 6.30 pm on RTE 2 in the 80s IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

The new Glenroe has to have Tom Vaughn-Lawlor and Peter Coonan as the main characters and be written by Stuart Carolan. The theme would be Dublin criminals relocating to a rural area and upsetting the lives of the locals (the sons and daughters of Miley and co).

jiFfM.jpg

Sorry, but one facepalm really doesn't cut it here.

And Mick Lally would probably turn in his grave at that comment, too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

One of the funniest ad-libs I ever saw on TV was from the great Mick Lally in an early Glenroe episode.

He was at a dance, holding up the wall of course, with a bottle of Club Orange or similar with two straws in it. In the background of the scene, with his mouth around the straws, he tipped up the bottle to take a slug out of it. Of course the drink spilled down the front of his lovely gansey. Unscripted and brilliant I thought.

Bebo Rocks wrote: »
    It used to be on thursday at 6.30 pm on RTE 2 in the 80s IIRC.

Not on RTE 2 as far as I recall.

Wednesdays or Fridays on RTE 1. Around 5.30/5.35pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Not on RTE 2 as far as I recall.

Wednesdays or Fridays on RTE 1. Around 5.30/5.35pm.

Yeah your right, oh and i nearly forgot about country practice.

Yeah your right, oh and i nearly forgot about country practice.

A Country Practice started on RTE 2 in September 1985.

It was on every weekday at about 6.30pm.
    Episodes were 25 minutes long.

When I started buying the DVD releases [from Australia] I was surprised to see that each episode was 50 minutes. Over there it was shown twice a week.
    RTE split each episode in half and showed them over two days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

A Country Practice started on RTE 2 in September 1985.

It was on every weekday at about 6.30pm.
    Episodes were 25 minutes long.

Then i think it changed to RTE 1 and used to be on around 5.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

One of the actors from a Country Practice is now in Home and Away playing John Palmer. He used to play one of the docs in a Country Practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Nicole Kidman guest starred in A Country Practice for a few episodes

Were biddy and miley held hostage twice? Can remember one episode when the criminals are caught Miley gets thick with one of them giving out about them contaminating the pucees (mushrooms) in the back of the van. Hilarious. Always thought Georges wife had a sexy voice. Remember her doing radio ads for Gap. Can't think of her name though.

Shirley (played by Susan Slott)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Anyone know that program that Mick Lally was in, it aired in 1985? Eamon Kelly was also in it he used to call Mick Mocky and always said "how are you Mocky my lovely boy"

Were biddy and miley held hostage twice? Can remember one episode when the criminals are caught Miley gets thick with one of them giving out about them contaminating the pucees (mushrooms) in the back of the van. Hilarious. Always thought Georges wife had a sexy voice. Remember her doing radio ads for Gap. Can't think of her name though.

Coola Boola, Miley!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭George White

It became the butt of jokes from journalists and TV guide writers in Ireland. It was shown once a week [and bumped for snooker or showjumping] and ran from 1978 until the late 1990s. The typical comments were "the soap that's running for twice as long as the war in which it's set".

In Australia it was shown five times a week and evolved at a natural pace.
    Wasn't the daughter in it supposed to be twelve and the actress was clearly about twenty-eight or so at least at the start, and then they began to forget how young she was IIRC, as she went off with Sam Neill...

Wasn't the daughter in it supposed to be twelve and the actress was clearly about twenty-eight or so at least at the start, and then they began to forget how young she was IIRC, as she went off with Sam Neill...

Susan Hannaford - a mysterious girl.

Yep, she and Sam Neill got it together. Much to the annoyance of her father Dave Sullivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭George White

they say she's 60-odd, though at the beginning, she looked young enough, then within a few months, just looked older, and her character profile on IMDB says she was playing ten. Though she looked at the least in the early years perhaps twelve, thirteen-ish.

• Advertisement

they say she's 60-odd, though at the beginning, she looked young enough, then within a few months, just looked older, and her character profile on IMDB says she was playing ten. Though she looked at the least in the early years perhaps twelve, thirteen-ish.

She was born in 1959. Was 17 playing a 12 year old at the start of The Sullivans (November 1976).

Advertisement