Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Remember the McAuliffe truck stunk ...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

CiniO wrote: »
    Sorry but I tend to disagree.
    Judging speed and distance of other vehicles is one of the most basic skills which people should learn on drivers training.

You can't assume that truck in front of you is doing 80km/h when it's actually parked. I know that bridge creating shadows and extra trucks on top of the bridge can be distracting, but even though there must be something wrong with driver who can see obstruction in form of parked truck in front of him while he is doing 100km/h and is not able to stop in time or even better change lane.

It's a reasonable assumption, by the time you have checked the mirror, you have a serious situation.

Not everyone is a perfect driver.

The truck drivers in this situation could have contributed to someone's death.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

MadsL wrote: »
    It's a reasonable assumption, by the time you have checked the mirror, you have a serious situation.

Not everyone is a perfect driver.

The truck drivers in this situation could have contributed to someone's death.

He could have.
    But I still think guys who park on blind bends are worse.
    It's because they can't be seen, while truck parked on straight double carriage way - can.

He could have.
    But I still think guys who park on blind bends are worse.
    It's because they can't be seen, while truck parked on straight double carriage way - can.

I drive a lot on perfectly straight desert roads, you know the stuff you see in movies. It is amazing how deceptive a straight road can be when judging speed and distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Everyone, including the judge is ignoring the real scourge, the ill taste, the criminality and hideousness of the hillbilly, white trash paint jobs on the trucks. Surely, surely surely there has to be a law against taste as bad as that?

MY EYES!! MY BEAUTIFUL EYES!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Mr Kupiec also pleaded to dangerous parking at Mullaghmarky,Castleisland on the date

Is that the bridge incident?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Think it's absolutely scandalous that the company has gotten off the hook scott free here...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

January wrote: »
    Think it's absolutely scandalous that the company has gotten off the hook scott free here...

Dead on. One of the drivers is pretty young. I wonder what the reaction would have been if he'd refused to take part in the PR exercise? And that's was what it was, a show off, look at us and 'how much money we have' egotistic amateur 'king of the road' PR botch job.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

January wrote: »

Not to mention that they're still using stills from the crash video as publicity.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151898608096777&set=a.10151897447736777.427894.299820356776&type=1&theater

Some may say they weren't fined because they made a donation to charity...

Others may suggest the phrase 'it was for charity' is an excuse after the fact. A bit like saying 'to be fair, he was drunk'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I'm still astounded that the company was left off the hook. I'll admit to stereotyping here but I can't a 20 year old and two Poles deciding to do this off their own bat - far more likely they are low paid workers ordered to do it with no choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I'm still astounded that the company was left off the hook. I'll admit to stereotyping here but I can't a 20 year old and two Poles deciding to do this off their own bat - far more likely they are low paid workers ordered to do it with no choice.

I agree about the company (and perhaps there is an investigation going on there), but the bottom line is you always have a choice, and these guys should have known better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    For two days which is pointless Imo.

It's a conviction, which will have a serious impact on them in terms of employment in the future, and also if they ever want to emigrate.

It's more about sending a message, and rightly so. Nobody else is going to follow suit.

Fair play to the judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

djimi wrote: »
    I agree about the company (and perhaps there is an investigation going on there), but the bottom line is you always have a choice, and these guys should have known better.

...but sometimes that choice is Hobson's.......... ;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

It's more about sending a message, and rightly so. Nobody else is going to follow suit.

It must be about sending a message, because if everyone for bit stupid behaviour on the road in this country went to jail, then 50% of drivers would have to go.

It must be about sending a message, because if everyone for bit stupid behaviour on the road in this country went to jail, then 50% of drivers would have to go.

This behaviour wasn't stupid, it was f.cking criminal.

Three abreast on a major road, parked up on a dual carriageway. They were just lucky no-one died and they weren't facing manslaughter charges.

MadsL wrote: »
    This behaviour wasn't stupid, it was f.cking criminal.

Three abreast on a major road,
    Was there anyone coming from the other side? Did they directly endanger anyone?
    I can see people overtaking forcing oncoming drivers to move to hard shoulder to avoid accident. That's 3 abrests also, and it really endangers people on the road. On wide roads with hard shoulders (f.e. N5 Castlebar to Ballaghaderren i see as least one incident every time I drive there).

parked up on a dual carriageway.
    M6 between Dublin-Galway. Usually more than 10 parked up cars on motorway between those 2 cities.

They were just lucky no-one died and they weren't facing manslaughter charges.

Yes, sure.
    Looks like things people see on videos, must be way more dangerous that things you see in real world.

Was there anyone coming from the other side? Did they directly endanger anyone?

Well that's alright then. Let's only prosecute people who do stupidly dangerous stuff when they hurt people.
    I can see people overtaking forcing oncoming drivers to move to hard shoulder to avoid accident. That's 3 abrests also, and it really endangers people on the road.
    Ah, but did they " directly endanger anyone?"
    M6 between Dublin-Galway. Usually more than 10 parked up cars on motorway between those 2 cities.

Parking on a motorway to take publicity stills is OK now? This lad was on the road, not the hardshoulder. And a professional driver.
    Yes, sure.
    Looks like things people see on videos, must be way more dangerous that things you see in real world.

Trucks three abreast is perfectly safe now? Get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

No mention if they were put off the road. 2 days behind bars, bad as it is, is surely nothing compared to losing their licences for a lengthy period.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,755 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

gebbel wrote: »
    No mention if they were put off the road. 2 days behind bars, bad as it is, is surely nothing compared to losing their licences for a lengthy period.

They are in court again tomorrow. .

Advertisement