Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Persona 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Saw on Personal Central since I know pacing was something mentioned a lot

Ito and Wada also state that the game will feature improved pacing and quicker experience gain, which are elements allowing Persona 5 Royal to have a similar playtime length as the original game. The developers discussed improved pacing in terms of gameplay in a previous interview.

Persona 5 Royal to Have New Endings, Improved Pacing - https://personacentral.com/persona-5-royal-to-have-new-endings-improved-pacing/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I'm 50 hours in, 4th dungeon done, into September now and game only feels like it's getting going! No wonder they want to improve the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So this has just popped up on PS now , I've always wanted to try it out of curiousity what am I in for

• Registered Users Posts: 7,568 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

So this has just popped up on PS now , I've always wanted to try it out of curiousity what am I in for

A very long rpg that starts slowly, over stays its welcome but is still very enjoyable from start to finish.

The enhanced version, The Royal, was released in Japan last week and irons out some of the issues while adding more content.

Seems the release date for Royal has leaked via regional psn stores in Asia.

Apparently it will be released on February 20th.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,038 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hope Atlus take time to fix the lazy localization.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭Evade

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I hope Atlus take time to fix the lazy localization.
    Such as? I played it twice and nothing really jumped out as bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,038 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's functional but quite poor compared to their previous work. A lot of it seemed to have been translates literally instead of being properly localised.

https://www.personaproblems.com/

Didn't really notice those when I played it, maybe they stick out more when they're spoken.

Doesn't that site mix up translation and localisation? Translation should be grammatically correct but localisation has more to do with swapping idioms and such.

The site actually makes that distinction.

It just comes across as a little rushed and lazy as a lot of it is very literal and lacks any personality and comes across as awkward. It's not terrible, it's just that with Atlus's previous work on the likes of Catherine, Persona 3-4, Strange Journey, etc., they are probably the best localisers out there and P5 was a massive step backwards. It was kind of worrying for people as it was their first project since being bought by Sega, although they seem to have improved since they did localization work on the Yakuza games which have been great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

persona-5-royal-release-date-west-phantom-thieves-edition-ps4.900x.jpg

Leaked From Amazon Canada , looks like the game is due out March 31st 2020.
    R.I.P My wallet :(

persona-5-royal-release-date-west-phantom-thieves-edition-ps4.900x.jpg

Leaked From Amazon Canada , looks like the game is due out March 31st 2020.
    R.I.P My wallet :(

$90, so should end up around €90.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/12/03/persona-5-royal-takes-your-heart-on-march-31-2020/

EU details, no full dlc bundle for Europe it seems. Dlc is expensive too.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2019/12/03/persona-5-royal-release-date-announced-special-editions-detailed/

Pre orders are up on Amazon now, £79.99 for the Phantom Thieves Edition.

Koch Media are up to their usual bs preventing delivery outside the UK, for which they have already been fined by the EU for, so you will need to use Parcel Motel/Wizard.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0829P8MDR/

Launch Edition £49.99
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0829P2YSW/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I was wondering the same. I downloaded it with the intention of playing it but I realised it was turn based which I'm not a fan of and howlongtobeat has an average completion time of 97 hours! I'm not sure I want to start a game I may not like that takes so long to complete.

It's only on PS Now for another 61 days too. I'm torn because of the good reviews the game has but 97 hours is a lot to complete the base game.

Just noticed there, whatever has been added to Persona 5 in Royal has bumped the age rating up to an 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just noticed there, whatever has been added to Persona 5 in Royal has bumped the age rating up to an 18.

I've just started playing this, and like above I was hesitant due to the turn based combat. But the initial theme with the first Palace is definitely an 18s imo! Not visually (yes, kinda, no need for the red catsuit, but it is Japan!), but the theme. I've also read it does deal with very adult themes.

Anyway, I'm only a few hours in, just got the first bit of freedom with a full party (and went to the Palace, of course). I'm hooked. I'm intrigued by it, and it's literally an interactive anime. The combat hasn't turned me off so far, but if anything does it will be that (managed to finish the first South Park, but couldn't drag myself through the second).

As long as the combat doesn't annoy me too much, I reckon I'll be buying this at the end of the Now access as I won't have it finished by then! Also, a good bit of free content on the store for it, including the awesome Japanese VOs! Heard an english VO in a trailer and it just sounded flat.

I've just started playing this, and like above I was hesitant due to the turn based combat. But the initial theme with the first Palace is definitely an 18s imo! Not visually (yes, kinda, no need for the red catsuit, but it is Japan!), but the theme. I've also read it does deal with very adult themes.
    The one you're playing is 16+. There's a new version with extra content and improvements out in March that's been increased to 18+. If you can wait that long after your trial is over it would probably be worth picking up the newer one.

Sweet! Doesn't strike me as the kind of game one can leave for a few months and be able to jump back into it. Now the tough decision to keep on going, or wait... I think i'll keep going for now, just to see if the turn based irks me to the point of stopping.

Sweet! Doesn't strike me as the kind of game one can leave for a few months and be able to jump back into it. Now the tough decision to keep on going, or wait... I think i'll keep going for now, just to see if the turn based irks me to the point of stopping.
    As far as I know saves don't transfer over so it'll be a case of starting over not starting up again a few hours in.

Evade wrote: »
    As far as I know saves don't transfer over so it'll be a case of starting over not starting up again a few hours in.

Saves don't transfer, but all the base dlc is included in Royal which will save some money if you were going to get it.

• Advertisement

Ugh. It's definitely one of those games that I most likely won't start again, so I'll plough on through it!

Aaaaand it's gone. Just couldn't keep with it. As stated, I'm not a fan of turn based combat, but I was willing to drive through that. What has ended it for me though, and now that I think about it the same happened when I tried to play one of the Final Fantasy games, the amount of encounters is just too much. It would be fine if it was quick, but it's always the same intro to the fight, the same moves, the same ending and the level complete screen, just became too tedious, and I haven't even completed the first palace yet. Think the straw was when I had to go back to a room I just cleared to get a key from a guard, and all the enemies were back again. Shame. I will hope, and forever keep hoping as it won't happen, that someone could convert this to an ARPG, then the amount of enemies wouldn't be a problem. Would be a great ARPG actually.

So I've started playing Tokyo Xanadu eX+ instead. And it's basically Persona with swords instead of Personas, and it's an ARPG instead of TB, and already infinitely better. Still follows a kid in school fighting monsters though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

Tokyo Xanadu is badly let down by a very bland main cast. The NPC's are literally more entertaining.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Aaaaand it's gone. Just couldn't keep with it. As stated, I'm not a fan of turn based combat, but I was willing to drive through that. What has ended it for me though, and now that I think about it the same happened when I tried to play one of the Final Fantasy games, the amount of encounters is just too much. It would be fine if it was quick, but it's always the same intro to the fight, the same moves, the same ending and the level complete screen, just became too tedious, and I haven't even completed the first palace yet. Think the straw was when I had to go back to a room I just cleared to get a key from a guard, and all the enemies were back again. Shame. I will hope, and forever keep hoping as it won't happen, that someone could convert this to an ARPG, then the amount of enemies wouldn't be a problem. Would be a great ARPG actually.

So I've started playing Tokyo Xanadu eX+ instead. And it's basically Persona with swords instead of Personas, and it's an ARPG instead of TB, and already infinitely better. Still follows a kid in school fighting monsters though!

Thank you. You have just saved me from playing it as all the things you mentioned above are the exact reasons I despise turn based games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Loved tokyo Xanadu !

Loved tokyo Xanadu !

Have to say, I do keep going back to it, and I'm still very early (only have 3 extra characters for fighting so far, think the next chapter will give me the 4th). The combat is quite fun, and while I thought the school parts would be prolonged and boring, it flys through the day. Took me a while to realise that the free time is just that, and is not affected by the characters saying they're in a rush, so probably missed a few things on the first free time section.

I am liking it, and while the characters aren't the most fleshed out, as I've been watching lots of random anime to scratch the itch, the main case in Xanadu are better than some of those characters! But they're not up there with the few I met in Persona, which is definitely a way better presented game, graphically and story/narrative wise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Have to say, I do keep going back to it, and I'm still very early (only have 3 extra characters for fighting so far, think the next chapter will give me the 4th). The combat is quite fun, and while I thought the school parts would be prolonged and boring, it flys through the day. Took me a while to realise that the free time is just that, and is not affected by the characters saying they're in a rush, so probably missed a few things on the first free time section.

I am liking it, and while the characters aren't the most fleshed out, as I've been watching lots of random anime to scratch the itch, the main case in Xanadu are better than some of those characters! But they're not up there with the few I met in Persona, which is definitely a way better presented game, graphically and story/narrative wise.

It was the combat that kept me coming back, wasn't attached to the characters at all, I got past the first chapter in P5 and never went back to it unfortunately.

It was the combat that kept me coming back, wasn't attached to the characters at all, I got past the first chapter in P5 and never went back to it unfortunately.

We might be in luck! Set 6 months after P5, and it's an ARPG! Looks way better already.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Ive just started. loving it so far even if the start is very tutorial and broken. just 3hrs in after volleyball match.
    1st 2 characters look to have good story background and love the idea of palaces being someone in the real worlds perception of their normality. Also someone above was saying they couldnt stick with the repetetive fighting & same enemies etc. that is JRPGs though in fairness. Im dying for the game to open up for me.
    One point though. the saving seems to be miles apart or am I missing auto saves somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

Parsnips wrote: »
    Ive just started. loving it so far even if the start is very tutorial and broken. just 3hrs in after volleyball match.
    1st 2 characters look to have good story background and love the idea of palaces being someone in the real worlds perception of their normality. Also someone above was saying they couldnt stick with the repetetive fighting & same enemies etc. that is JRPGs though in fairness. Im dying for the game to open up for me.
    One point though. the saving seems to be miles apart or am I missing auto saves somewhere.

There's no auto saving but once your in the dungeons there shpuld be a save point on average every 20-30 mins.

Advertisement