Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL: Irish chicken breast 454 g €3.39 [This week €3]

Options
  • 26-09-2013 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭

IE_3414wk3913_01_b.jpg

Surprised that this hasn't been put up, as it is great value
    I've stocked up

454g Irish chicken breast fillets : €3.39 until Sunday 29th .

Next week they have
    450 g Irish Hereford Lean Beef mince for €1.99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

CH3OH wrote: »
    IE_3414wk3913_01_b.jpg

Surprised that this hasn't been put up, as it is great value
    I've stocked up

454g Irish chicken breast fillets : €3.39 until Sunday 29th .

Next week they have
    450 g Irish Hereford Lean Beef mince for €1.99

Is that not about average for chicken breasts? I know I get boxes of 25 for €27.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Is that not about average for chicken breasts? I know I get boxes of 25 for €27.

you're probably getting a size 34B breast in the boxes.

These are more like 40DD;)

Seriously, €7.46 per kilo is the cheapest I've seen chicken for a long while.

Also, very easy to freeze in the packs of 3

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Just note that it's most likely from Northern Ireland not The Republic of Ireland (The ones I got were all NI marked anyway), it's Irish when it suits them !!

And the price of € 3.39 is excellent for chicken from the Island of Ireland, you can always get 10 for €10.00 but be sure they ain't from Ireland, more like Holland or Thailand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'll be heading that way to get more soon, I can't remember the weight off hand, but I can tell you this, the breasts that I get are as big, if not bigger, than most of the breasts bought in most prepacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Was asked €6.99 per pack of these earlier in "Lidl" needless to say I said I didn't want. Such a shame went there especially for them.
    Lidl Finglas N2 behind the Esso.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

vicwatson wrote: »
    Just note that it's most likely from Northern Ireland not The Republic of Ireland (The ones I got were all NI marked anyway), it's Irish when it suits them !!

And the price of € 3.39 is excellent for chicken from the Island of Ireland, you can always get 10 for €10.00 but be sure they ain't from Ireland, more like Holland or Thailand

Does anyone know if they're Irish or not? I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Even my decent local butcher is guilty of this. His chicken breasts are either Dutch or Northern Irish(I told him that isnt Ireland and he lost it). But some prepacked chicken from a certain british supermarket in Ireland is thai.

Most people wouldnt eat beef if it isnt irish, but have no problem with foreign chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

hfallada wrote: »
    Even my decent local butcher is guilty of this. His chicken breasts are either Dutch or Northern Irish(I told him that isnt Ireland and he lost it). But some prepacked chicken from a certain british supermarket in Ireland is thai.

Most people wouldnt eat beef if it isnt irish, but have no problem with foreign chicken

I have a big problem with this hence the question. I always buy Irish meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Yeah - these are about 150 Grams apiece - usually these packs seem to be 100gm per breast. Mine say Bord Bia - origin Ireland and the stamp on them is IE not UK so they are packed down here too. That's good - a vet told me UK plants inject pork and chicken with water to make them look better ( and weigh more I guess) - trouble is the water comes out when you are cooking them - very noticeable if you are browning chicken or doing a stir-fry - you get water all over the pan and stuff being steamed rather than fried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Mine say Bord Bia - origin Ireland and the stamp on them is IE not UK so they are packed down here too. That's good - a vet told me UK plants inject pork and chicken with water to make them look better ( and weigh more I guess) - trouble is the water comes out when you are cooking them - very noticeable if you are browning chicken or doing a stir-fry - you get water all over the pan and stuff being steamed rather than fried.

You are correct about the injections. The pork is added so that the fillet doesn't sweat out the water already pumped in. If you think people got their knickers in a twist about horse meat burgers, the truth about chicken would make most a vegetarian. And don't get me started on sausages.....or puddings.....

One interesting point is the stamp on meat that says it is "packed in Ireland" which usually suggests that the origin of the meat is a foreign shore.

Sorry for the digress mods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

You can go into Musgraves and buy big packs for less than this. You can also choose to have normal chicken without the water injections, or for less money, you can buy them at 80%. Thats a 20% weight increase due to water injection. I will have a look thought my emails from them and see what the latest offer is.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

You can go into Musgraves and buy big packs for less than this. You can also choose to have normal chicken without the water injections, or for less money, you can buy them at 80%. Thats a 20% weight increase due to water injection. I will have a look thought my emails from them and see what the latest offer is.

Or you can get onto Pallas Foods and get 5kg for 20 euro.

Of course wholesalers like Musgraves, Pallas Foods are way cheaper ;)

For a shop €7.46 a kilo is very good value.

Here you go, Ive taken a screen shot with the thing open and cut it from paint.

musgraves.jpg
    musgrave80.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Here you go, Ive taken a screen shot with the thing open and cut it from paint.
    Are these offers available to the general public?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

Says here you need a business name, vat registered?

http://www.musgravemarketplace.ie/Order-Online/Become-a-Customer/

For a wholeseller prices are nothing special imo.

Yeah, sorry its not available to the public. Maybe you know someone with a card though, pretty much any business can get one if they tick the right boxes.

I buy the big box of chicken without the water injection, and the breasts are big, them seem substantially cheaper than the breasts at Lidl. Ive bought loads of chicken there too. Its frightening how cheaply hens can be reared!

yellow hen wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they're Irish or not? I

The ones I got are marked "Bord Bia Approval Scheme Origin Northern Ireland" NOT Republic of Ireland yet says Fresh Irish Chicken Breasts on the front of the packaging. They are stamped as packed in UK

This sort of thing happens with eggs too.

I don't know why Bord Bia are approving food from the North of Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Got them twice this week. v impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

I don't know why Bord Bia are approving food from the North of Ireland?

Bord Bia covers the island of Ireland; more info here

enviro wrote: »
    Bord Bia covers the island of Ireland; more info here

I know they do, but why should they?

• Advertisement

I know they do, but why should they?

Why would you even care? As if there is any difference in the chicken reared across a political line. Youre all Irish one way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Why would you even care? As if there is any difference in the chicken reared across a political line. Youre all Irish one way or the other.
    I heard Sinn Fein were delighted with the 36 county chickens:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Good price for chicken from this island, feck off with ye're its cheaper when you buy a pallet of thai chicken down the wholesalers carry on you could apply that to almost every thread on bargain alerts.

paddyp wrote: »
    Good price for chicken from this island, feck off with ye're its cheaper when you buy a pallet of thai chicken down the wholesalers carry on you could apply that to almost every thread on bargain alerts.

Next time I think I'm trying to help, I will be sure to PM you for approval first. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Oscar_Drai

Yeah, sorry its not available to the public. Maybe you know someone with a card though, pretty much any business can get one if they tick the right boxes.

I buy the big box of chicken without the water injection, and the breasts are big, them seem substantially cheaper than the breasts at Lidl. Ive bought loads of chicken there too. Its frightening how cheaply hens can be reared!

Musgrave Wholesale Partners (MarketPlace, Foodservices, Daybreak, DayToday)
    St. Margaret's Rd, Ballymun, Dublin 11

I was hoping when I read your post I could just walk in to any of those places and buy. Doesn't it work like that?

Thanks, O.D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

the boxes of chicken breast in musgraves can be also bought in the english market in cork, different size/grades at different prices i think the fat bad boys were 27 for 25 great for the deep freezer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Whatever about wholesale pricing, but I can get a pack of 25 Irish fillets, weighing 100-120g each, for 19€ from my local butcher. That's under 7€ a kg for anyone keeping count. Not sure why people would go to a supermarket for meat really. For the record, the butcher is in the Liberties across the road from the LIDL on Thomas St., so no less convenient than popping into LIDL for some.

Eh, perhaps the UK rules and regulations for rearing chickens are different to Irish rules for starters, that's why I might care

Next time I think I'm trying to help, I will be sure to PM you for approval first. ;)

Whats with the attitude? relax, it's a thread about chicken breasts FFS :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

musgraves breast and the ones at the english market are the full breasts for butterflying not the trimmed ones 200-230 grams each i just weighed two to check 458 grams.
    i will agree with supermarket not being the best but convenience is what its all about

Advertisement