Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your 4G speed tests here [Results Only]

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Can't fault them around Dublin for 4G.

Around the country, I think the 3G is pretty good as well. Check out their 4G coverage map on the eMobile/Metoer webpage. As always I would recommend you get a PAYG SIM card to test the signal where you most frequent. Unfortunately you won't be able to test the 4G just yet on PAYG, only the 3G.

You'll always read posters saying X or Y is a good provider. You need to do some tests yourself to be sure.

I was with Three Ireland for years but I found their network coverage to be only "OK". It was only until I moved that I realised what real coverage should be like!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Can't fault them around Dublin for 4G.

Around the country, I think the 3G is pretty good as well. Check out their 4G coverage map on the eMobile/Metoer webpage. As always I would recommend you get a PAYG SIM card to test the signal where you most frequent. Unfortunately you won't be able to test the 4G just yet on PAYG, only the 3G.

You'll always read posters saying X or Y is a good provider. You need to do some tests yourself to be sure.

I was with Three Ireland for years but I found their network coverage to be only "OK". It was only until I moved that I realised what real coverage should be like!

Thanks for this feedback. Yes unfortunately can't really test it without signing a contract, but it's not too big a deal as I want to go for 30 days sim only anyway; so easy to move back to O2 if I am not happy.

I was actually happy enough with the service on Meteor (in Dublin) but moved to O2 a few month ago for their 7.5gb pre-paid plan. I'd say signal strength and indoor coverage on O2 is better, but they might have oversubscribed their data network and neglected it after the news if the Three takeover, which shows in busy areas (and more annoyingly they seem to be traffic shaping audio streaming which breaks online radios).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

This is on Three back in January just after they launched it, it was done indoors about 200m away from the nearest mast.

714990229.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Have O2 launched a 4G network yet? Or are they waiting to see what happens with Three?

Have O2 launched a 4G network yet? Or are they waiting to see what happens with Three?

To my knowledge O2 have just been experimenting with 4G in smalls areas around Dublin, but don't have an actual offer yet (and have indeed probably put their deployment on hold until the Theee thing is clarified).

Problem is that at the same time they started offering fairly generous data bundles on prepaid for a reasonable price, which I took advantage of but I think are putty even more pressure on their network (or which they probably also stopped investing, even to improve 3G performance)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

4G speed in Dublin City centre this evening with Three

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Bob24 wrote: »
    ...they started offering fairly generous data bundles on prepaid for a reasonable price,...

Which bundles do you mean?

beauf wrote: »
    Which bundles do you mean?

Their "Freedom Internet" prepaid plan. When you topup 20 euros, you get 7.5GB of data for 10 euros (and keep the other 10 euros for other things).

By the way by "fairly generous", I meant compared to what the largest networks (Voda and O2) have been offering in the past; not saying it is the most generous offer on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

Vodafone in Galway couple of days ago.

Advertisement