Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heidenfeld 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭caissa007

Yeah huge result for you guys. Rathmines B are a strong team. Bray & Naomh Barróg in serious trouble now

Drogheda 4.5 v 3.5 Bray Greystones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Past sell by Date

ElmMount 5 Naomh Barrog 3

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

How on earth do Naomh Barróg keep doing that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

cdeb wrote: »
    How on earth do Naomh Barróg keep doing that?!
    I presume some of their players are underrated.

• Advertisement

I don't know; they're generally established players afaik.

Was talking to them at the start of the season (was out with the Bodley) and they were saying they were thinking about opting for relegation when a few players left, but then decided that the worst that would happen this year was relegation, so they'd stick with it. Now they're about 6 points ahead of their expected score, which is the difference between being out of sight at the bottom and very much in our (and Phibsboro's) rear-view mirror!

Worth noting that while Naomh Barróg finish the season with games against the other bottom two (us and Bray), Phibsboro finish with games against Rathmines A and Elm Mount.

Any word on Phibsboro v Lucan?

Inchicore 3½-4½ Benildus

Well done. You guys must be safe now. Is it more or less decided that Bray/Naomh Barrog are going down?

Looks it at this stage. Though we're playing Naomh Barróg yet and a bad result could easily put us in the mix on the final day (when NB play Bray)

But a win would leave us almost mathematically safe on the final day.

• Advertisement

Drogheda 6 2 Lucan

Malahide 6 2 Naomh Barróg

So basically, if we can beat Naomh Barróg 5-3 in two weeks' time, we're mathematically safe going into the final round. And while Phibsboro have Rathmines A and Elm Mount in the last two rounds, I think they're far ahead enough that they won't get sucked into things. So it looks like Naomh Barróg and Bray/Greystones all but confirmed for the drop.

Why Does it take so long for the heidenfeld league tables to be updated ??????

Why Does it take so long for the heidenfeld league tables to be updated ??????
    Lazy captains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elm Mount 5 Rathmines A 3

League table updated to round 9 now. Bray and Naomh Barróg a long way adrift, and they've to play each other too, so it's almost mathematically certain that one of them will go down.

Bray have gotten a fair bit of luck the last two games, for what little it's done them - two walkover wins against Drogheda, and then Rathmines B turn up with a 1200 on board 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Chessrookie

Some very interesting results this round. Elm Mount look locked on for promotion whilst Rathmines A v Drogheda in the last round could yet be decisive. Drogheda have had some good results recently whilst Rathmines have slipped up a little.
    Bray have gotten some good scores in the last couple of rounds but it looks to be too late.
    I have one question based on scanning the recent results.
    How does the 150 points rule apply with Juniors? Kilkenny had a junior on B2 v Rathmines and he got a great draw with a 1700 player, but i am curious as to how he is able to play above the 1400 and 1500 players on the two boards below him when he is showing as below 1000.
    Are live ratings used? I had thought the leagues were based on the September ratings? Just curious to know for the future.

Interesting on the Kilkenny game. Juniors aren't treated any differently to other players. The player in question is considered 1200 for the 150-point rule, so can't play above 1350s. Live ratings don't count for leagues. I asked about pulling one of our Bodley players onto the Heidenfeld - his live rating is above all the O'Hanlon now, but his leagues rating is only 1000. Was told no can do; it'd break the 150 point rule.

So either that's a typo on the scoresheet - entirely possible to click the wrong guy on the drop-down menu - or Kilkenny are in trouble there. The rule (6.7) isn't worded the best, but I think Kilkenny would lose all points on the boards down to where the guy could at best have played. So he could have played on board 7, and all other boards would be called wins for Rathmines. That'd change the score from 4½-3½ to 6-2.

Though that'd leave Kilkenny "just" 8½ points clear of the drop with two games to go, so no real worry for them. It'd make the top two level though with two games to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran

I have one question based on scanning the recent results.
    How does the 150 points rule apply with Juniors? Kilkenny had a junior on B2 v Rathmines and he got a great draw with a 1700 player, but i am curious as to how he is able to play above the 1400 and 1500 players on the two boards below him when he is showing as below 1000.
    Are live ratings used? I had thought the leagues were based on the September ratings? Just curious to know for the future.

You have to use September ratings afaik, his live rating is 930 anyway so it doesn't matter in this case. He couldn't play higher than board 7 on that team by my reckoning. Maybe the board order is wrong, that's all I can think of Kilkenny will default a point otherwise.

• Advertisement

They'll lose 1½ points - all boards from 2 to 7. It's not the same as someone not turning up.

This result here shows you what'd happen. (We'd played board 6 in advance, and then board 4 pulled out sick, so we were completely stuck)

All boards from the one in question down to the highest the player could have played on are awarded to the opposition.

cdeb wrote: »
    They'll lose 1½ points - all boards from 2 to 7. It's not the same as someone not turning up.
    I'd forgotten that rule. Getting -1 would cost them the same anyway, Rathmines would do better this way though. Don't both captains have to put in the result? Unlikely that both would make the same mistake though it's hard to understand why he'd be on board 2 as a sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Chessrookie

Thanks for clarifying in the rule.

A typo on the entry for the game would make sense. The player on the Kilkenny squad above the player entered is a 1500 so that would explain a typo/mistype in the drop down menu.

As Ciaran noted though, both captains do have to enter the scorecard, and it'd be strange for both to make a mistake.

It is possible it was a new player, in which case, the league controller has to enter that player manually, and he could have made the mistake.

Seems more likely than Kilkenny forgetting about the 150 point rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mr 1.e4

As the Rathmines player in question I can categorically state that is an error in the recording of the result. I did in fact play an opponent rated 1495, so no need to penalise Kilkenny.
    Ps: Rathmines were missing top two players for Elm Mount match...

Mr 1.e4 wrote: »
    As the Rathmines player in question I can categorically state that is an error in the recording of the result. I did in fact play an opponent rated 1495, so no need to penalise Kilkenny.

Good to hear. It did seem like an unlikely mistake for Kilkenny to have made.

Mr 1.e4 wrote: »
    Probably Stephen Murphy 1493, who played every other Kilkenny match, all but one of them on board 2.

Benildus 3-5 Naomh Barróg :mad:

Got to hand it to Naomh Barróg - they may go down, but they've put up an incredible fight. Granted, we walked into two (very nice) knight mates - one a queen sac leading to smothered mate - and I was positionally +3 (per Fritz) at one stage before cashing in on material too early in time trouble/relief and ended up having to settle for a draw, but for a team with an 1100 on board 3 and four other 1100s on the team, pretty much every game was a huge struggle.

I hope they go down (obviously!), but you have to have enormous respect for the way they've played throughout this season.

As for us, as the table stands now, we've been thumped by the top two, beaten 3rd to 7th (bar Malahide, who we play in the last round) and not beaten any of 8th to 12th!

Lucan 5.5 Rathmines B 2.5.
    Lucan safe..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Irish Warrior

caissa007 wrote: »
    Lucan 5.5 Rathmines B 2.5.
    Lucan safe..........

Great result for Lucan. Rathmines B seem to have used a lot of subs in the last three rounds.

Advertisement