Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rugby Bandwagon.

Options
  • 25-09-2013 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

This was in After Hours but got closed. It might be harsh but it's just an opinion.

Am I the only one who doesn't get this love of rugby a lot of ordinary people have adopted in the country in the past 8 years or so. The Irish rugby team have to be the most overrated, over hyped team this country has ever produced in any sport. They seem completely devoid of criticism from the general public. The soccer team get absolutely slated by the public over their results despite participating in sport that has participation in every single country. The soccer team also have to qualify for competitions. 10 countries play rugby. The rugby team do not have this task yet they've only managed to to reach the quarter final and no further. Absolutely laughable. They have managed one Grand Slam in over 50 years. To win a Grand Slam they've to beat 4 other nations and more recently 5 nations with two of the toughest opposition at home. Yet they have only managed one Grand Slam. They lost to New Zealand 100-0, Italy and mighty Scotland in the past year. Yet i hear on the radio, hosts describing Jamie Heaslip, Cian Healy and the likes as "national heroes"

All over Twitter and Facebook you see women describing themselves as "rugby fans" Laughable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

This is nonsense. Huge chip on your shoulder

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Wrong-neighborhood.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Decobuzz

This is nonsense. Huge chip on your shoulder

I've zero chip on my shoulder. As an ordinary member of the public about the soccer team and it's "They're ****" Ask them about the rugby

Decobuzz wrote: »
    I've zero chip on my shoulder. As an ordinary member of the public about the soccer team and it's "They're ****" Ask them about the rugby

The rugby team are not devoid of criticism. Soccer is much more popular, hence why you think they get more stick

/thread

Answer me this? Are they overhyped despite failing every year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If you're going to have a rant, at least have it well prepared and somewhat objective.

100-0, devoid of criticism, national heroes?

As for the bandwagon, what was Italia 90 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

We have a troll in our midst

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If it got closed in AH....do you really thing it has a hope of lasting more than an hour here?

People follow success and Irish rugby has had a lot of it in recent years. Before Euro 2012, Irish soccer fans were appearing everywhere despite not having been to a game in years. It's human nature and especially Irish nature. Look at the rush for tickets for last weekend's Mayo vs Dublin match despite the stadium being two thirds full for the Mayo semi final.

The rugby team are not devoid of criticism. Soccer is much more popular, hence why you think they get more stick

/thread

They get criticism from chaps like rugby fans like yourself on here. Most see them as the darlings of the nation for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

All over Twitter and Facebook you see women describing themselves as "rugby fans" Laughable.

I'm make sure to tell our women's team that tonight at training

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

This is going to end well.

Sport is a diversion away from the daily grind. I love watching rugby, and I appreciate the time & effort the players put into the game. For a short period of their lives they are well remunerated, but only the cream rises to the top. They lose all anonymity and the ability to lead a "normal" life.

I don't see the point on beating up on the players, they bring joy to the provinces and country when they do well, and there's more important things to get het up about.

They are not "heroes" in the sense of war etc, but you only need to see the players visit Crumlin hospital or the like to know that they are true heroes for the young ones.

There will always be people who follow rugby more superficially than those on this forum, but you won't fill Aviva stadium with pure diehards, so other people taking an interest just adds to the atmosphere and therefore enjoyment of the game.

In NZ rugby is called "The game for all NZers", and I think it's great that rugby's appeal has broadened in Ireland, long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Maybe people hail them as heroes because of their heroics with Leinster and Munster:confused::confused: The European Cup is an extremely competitive competition and our Teams (all based and playing on this tiny island) are the standard bearers of club rugby.

They get criticism from chaps like rugby fans like yourself on here. Most see them as the darlings of the nation for some reason

Do they? I think you're exaggerating massively here chief

But rugby players might be viewed in a better light alright. They are easier to relate to than soccer players who get paid extraordinary amounts, they play with clubs here and then there's the whole respectful nature of rugby as a game as opposed to the diving and hysterics of soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Answer me this? Are they overhyped despite failing every year?

Ireland won a grandslam in 2009 and three of the provinces have lifted the Heineken Cup - how is that failing every year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

Seeing the likes of this, would you not rather encourage it than demean it?

leinsterhospital2.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the op needs to realise the provinces are entwined to the national team.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

what a bizarre and ill informed rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

People getting outraged and posting angry replies.

Mission accomplished for the OP.

Cop on lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

This was in After Hours but got closed. It might be harsh but it's just an opinion.

Am I the only one who doesn't get this love of rugby a lot of ordinary people have adopted in the country in the past 8 years or so. The Irish rugby team have to be the most overrated, over hyped team this country has ever produced in any sport. They seem completely devoid of criticism from the general public. The soccer team get absolutely slated by the public over their results despite participating in sport that has participation in every single country. The soccer team also have to qualify for competitions. 10 countries play rugby. The rugby team do not have this task yet they've only managed to to reach the quarter final and no further. Absolutely laughable. They have managed one Grand Slam in over 50 years. To win a Grand Slam they've to beat 4 other nations and more recently 5 nations with two of the toughest opposition at home. Yet they have only managed one Grand Slam. They lost to New Zealand 100-0, Italy and mighty Scotland in the past year. Yet i hear on the radio, hosts describing Jamie Heaslip, Cian Healy and the likes as "national heroes"

Out of interest, WTF did you post this in After Hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

BBDBB wrote: »
    what a bizarre and ill informed rant

I'm enjoying it . Certainly gave me something to laugh at over lunch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Am I the only one who doesn't get this love of rugby a lot of ordinary people have adopted in the country in the past 8 years or so.

I wish this was the case. I barely know anyone who loves rugby as much as I do other than the guys on here. Even the guys I play rugby don't follow it that closely. I would say more people in my neighbourhood own Man U jerseys than Leinster ones.
    The Irish rugby team have to be the most overrated, over hyped team this country has ever produced in any sport. They seem completely devoid of criticism from the general public. The soccer team get absolutely slated by the public over their results despite participating in sport that has participation in every single country.

They might be a little overrated/over hyped, but in fairness, our clubs have achieved incredible success in recent times, so it's natural that people would expect that to translate to the national set up. They certainly aren't devoid of criticism. Around here you'll find that whilst Declan Kidney was coach, many people had a very low opinion of the national team. They played unattractive sh*tty rugby with no results to back it up.
    The soccer team also have to qualify for competitions. 10 countries play rugby. The rugby team do not have this task yet they've only managed to to reach the quarter final and no further. Absolutely laughable. They have managed one Grand Slam in over 50 years. To win a Grand Slam they've to beat 4 other nations and more recently 5 nations with two of the toughest opposition at home. Yet they have only managed one Grand Slam. They lost to New Zealand 100-0, Italy and mighty Scotland in the past year.

Not sure what your point is here. Rugby is very young in terms of professionalism so there's not a lot of top teams. A lot of the other nations have much larger player bases/population and rugby is held in a higher regard. I think you're downplaying how difficult a task it is to play through the 6nations undefeated.
    Yet i hear on the radio, hosts describing Jamie Heaslip, Cian Healy and the likes as "national heroes"
    Really? I can't say I've heard them being referred to as national heroes much. Having said that, they are both great rugby players, particularly the latter, who can be counted as one of the greatest Loose-Head props on the earth

Surely you can figure out why this may be. I'm not a woman so I can't say for sure, but I think the likes of Tommy Bowe and Rob Kearney trump the likes of Robbie Keane and Damien Duff.....(forgive me if those two don't play anymore. I don't know a whole lot about football.)

My advice to you would be to watch some rugby and try and get into it. It's a really enjoyable sport when you fully understand the rules. If you don't get into it, don't worry, no sport in the world is going to overtake Soccer in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Where to start....

We have 3 of the most competitive club teams in European Rugby.
    5 Irish Champions since the 05/06 season.
    (Since its inception in '99 Irish teams have featured in 9 of the Finals)

We have consistently provided world class players to the British & Irish Lions despite being the size of a Medium UK city and having to compete with two other national sports and the mighty popularity of soccer.

Devoid of criticism?
    If you bothered to educated yourself in places other than the RTE.ie sports news headlines, you would see that there has been very heavy and repeated criticism of the National team and their management for not achieving as much as they can off the back of the provincial success and the quality of players available.

Take your half-assed argument elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Actually, rugby is played by 100 countries who are affiliated to the IRB - the equivalent of FIFA. Irish rugby isn't at all devoid of criticism, it's just that it is usually expressed in a civilised and thoughtful manner rather than such Shakespearean terminology favoured by soccer 'fans' as ' Trap out!' It's good to see that Ireland are doing so well in the FIFA rankings. Up to 59th and hope soon to overtake those giants of Soccer, Iceland (pop. 320,000) and the Cape Verde Islands ( pop. 494,000). It's easy to see why you have something to sneer about. having all those professional teams playing in Ireland in front of huge crowds every week. Must make your heart sing. :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

Has the OP ever heard of a fella called Custer?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Phonehead wrote: »
    Maybe people hail them as heroes because of their heroics with Leinster and Munster:confused::confused: The European Cup is an extremely competitive competition and our Teams (all based and playing on this tiny island) are the standard bearers of club rugby.

The Irish team has no doubt flopped badly on the international stage, so on that front I can see where the OP is coming from. The new manager might be able to do something but I wouldn't be all that confident.

As you say, it's on the club front that Irish rugby has excelled. Munster & Leinster have been 2 of the best club sides rugby has ever seen.

Rightwing wrote: »
    The Irish team has no doubt flopped badly on the international stage, so on that front I can see where the OP is coming from. The new manager might be able to do something but I wouldn't be all that confident.

As you say, it's on the club front that Irish rugby has excelled. Munster & Leinster have been 2 of the best club sides rugby has ever seen.

Did you not say a few weeks back that you expect us to win at least two six nations in the next four years? Your opinions change like the weather

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Out of interest, WTF did you post this in After Hours?

To see what the general public thought.

Also i do somewhat respect what the provinces have achieved. You all need to remember that the Irish clubs have a massive advantage in Europe. They can afford to rest their main players in the league unlike English clubs and the French care about their domestic league more. When was the last time a Scottish, Welsh or Italian club have won? It's effectively a three nation European cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Honest question, why do you care? Why does it bother you at all? Football and Rugby aren't competing with each other.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Actually, rugby is played by 100 countries who are affiliated to the IRB - the equivalent of FIFA. It's good to see that Ireland are doing so well in the FIFA rankings. Up to 59th and hope soon to overtake those giants of Soccer, Iceland (pop. 320,000) and the Cape Verde Islands ( pop. 494,000). It's easy to see why you have something to sneer about. having all those professional teams playing in Ireland in front of huge crowds every week. Must make your heart sing. :D:D:D:D:D

Do Ireland have to play 10 games to qualify for the Rugby World Cup?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

To see what the general public thought.

Also i do somewhat respect what the provinces have achieved. You all need to remember that the Irish clubs have a massive advantage in Europe. They can afford to rest their main players in the league unlike English clubs and the French care about their domestic league more. When was the last time a Scottish, Welsh or Italian club have won? It's effectively a three nation European cup.

The Irish have an advantage, no question about that. But you have to be able to capitalise on it, and they did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement