Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

While others sold their children for tickets...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

People can shout for whoever they want, its a free country. Fascists

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

johnr1 wrote: »
    At about 10 this morning, I was in the lobby of one of Dublin's most upmarket hotels on business. The same business meant that I wouldn't be attending the match.
    The crew from a US based airline came in, presumably on stopover. About 10-15 of them approx. Out comes a woman from the hotel with an envelope for each of them, containing a stand ticket for the match. She literally had to explain to them what gaelic football is, and who was playing. I overheard comments like 'well I'm going to bed anyway' as they pondered whether it would be worth going to see or not.

This is very very fcuking wrong imo, and also, what moron thought that it would be a good idea to deny genuine fans of the sport tickets in order to curry favour with sleep deprived americans who clearly didn't give a fcuk.
    There are thousands of tickets earmarked as "corporate" and are purely for business. I grew up in GAA head quarters and absolutely understand the value of AI tickets, and also coincidently worked for a major sponsor later in life and would have to restrain myself from vomiting when the tickets arrive and bandied about to a bunch of no interest wan%ers!!
    It's no different to any other big stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

stooge wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see the attendance of Dublin supporters if Croke park was not in Dublin i.e in Galway, Cork or Limerick. I wonder would they be as comitted to travelling as some of the other counties.
    Dubs travel quite well actually, although always late...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

johnr1 wrote: »
    The crew from a US based airline came in, presumably on stopover. About 10-15 of them approx. Out comes a woman from the hotel with an envelope for each of them, containing a stand ticket for the match. She literally had to explain to them what gaelic football is, and who was playing. I overheard comments like 'well I'm going to bed anyway' as they pondered whether it would be worth going to see or not.
    Just as well it wasn't the hurling, can't imagine Etihad would be too pleased :pac:

Tickets given out as corporate freebies are nothing new and as distasteful as many find them they probably play a small but important role in the marketing of GAA and good business relationships with sponsors (both current and potential). Companies then use these freebies in a similar fashion, as goodwill gestures towards staff and business partners - and so the tickets trickle down into the most unlikely of places.

As for fairweather/bandwagon supporters, again nothing new and applicable in all sports, countries and counties. The target isn't to alienate those people (remember they bring in a sizeable amount of money on match-day), but to concentrate on converting a certain percentage of them from 1-2 big matches to regular attendees throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

Godge wrote: »
    http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/allianz-football-league/roinn-1/

It was a Saturday evening in March in Croke Park, not McHale Park.

Think there were a few more than 3,000 there.

There were a lot more than 3,000 in attendance, but a lot fewer than were looking for tickets for this weekend. I have a recollection of it being freezing that evening. I think there was less than 20,000 in attendance.

For the league semi final, when you could argue there was more at stake, there was less than 25,000 in attendance. I'm not giving out about Mayo fans, as I didn't attend either of the league matches in Donegal or Kerry this year, but I do criticise Dublin fans who have been moaning and griping about not getting a ticket, who weren't arsed attending league matches.

There are a tonne of "bandwagon" merchants out there, but the season ticket takes care of those who attend most matches regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

RainyDay wrote: »
    Can you really see a hard-nosed business like a hotel paying top-dollar for such tickets, and then pi$$ing them away by handing them over to people who aren't really that interested and probably aren't the real decision makers that will bring future business to the hotel?

Seems rather unlikely to me.

Yeah, of course I'm lying. A Kerryman who couldn't give a fcuk if both teams lost yesterday is bothered enough to make that all up.:rolleyes:

I started this thread as I felt bad for fans on both sides who couldn't get tickets.

Judging by the elitist sh1t spouted here about "fair weather supporters" they'd be better giving the tickets to the Delta Crew.

I really dont know why I bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

So we have an Airline crew who were very tired and most likely flying early the next morning.

They got tickets off the hotel and being professionals who carry 200+ the taught that sleeping may be a better option?

Well now......how dare they not put passengers live's at risk and keep the GAA brigade happy by taking free tickets that they didn't ask for :rolleyes:

Advertisement