Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Any truth to the Mayo curse?

• 19-09-2013 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,467 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey

Jazus the hairs stood on the back of my neck when I heard it, seemingly the Mayo winners in 1951 drove past a funeral on their way home from the all Ireland and the priest cursed them for doing it, the curse was they'd never win an all Ireland again until every player on that team is dead and buried, there's still one player still alive!

Any truth to this curse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ TommiesTank

I'll tell you on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ ProudDUB

Slip me a tenner & I'll tell you at 5.02pm on Sunday. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 Gerry91

I've never seen a single sentence with so much wrong in it in m my life :D

Not just talking about this curse nonsense, Mayo weren't winning anything in 56 and I'm pretty sure 3 are alive ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭ LeinsterDub

Jazus the hairs stood on the back of my neck when I heard it, seemingly the Mayo winners in 1956 drove past a funeral on their way home from the all Ireland and the priest cursed them for doing it, the curse was they'd never win an all Ireland again until every player on that team is dead and buried, there's still one player still alive!

Any truth to this curse?

No
    </thread>

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ claypigeon777

Of course not.
    There is no such thing as the supernatural.
    There is no God, there is no life after death, there is no heaven or hell and there are no magic spells or curses or potions etc.
    It's all a bunch of crap.

How could a superannuated virgin who mumbles hocus pocus over a dead body 60 years ago have the ability to prevent football players on pitch in Dublin in 2013 from winning a match?

Use logic and common sense would you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭ Always_Running

Its BS. 1952 to 1988 Mayo didn't reach any All Ireland final. In 1989,1997,2004,2006 and 2012 they were simply beaten by sides that were better than them. 1996 was the one unlucky year but thats sport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭ thomur

I heard it was a traveller woman and they were passing a traveller funeral. Anyway, Im a Dub and work in Mayo so I have divided loyalties. Its like I cant chooses between the ice cream or the apple tart

• Registered Users Posts: 27,467 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey

Sorry think I meant to say 1951

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭ lukesmom

Of curse not

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ KMFCross

3 of that team are still alive:
    Paddy Prendergast
    Dr. Padraig Carney
    Dr. Mickey Loftus

And the Curse is BullSh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,467 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey

KMFCross wrote: »
    3 of that team are still alive:
    Paddy Prendergast
    Dr. Padraig Carney
    Dr. Mickey Loftus

And the Curse is BullSh*t.

Is it true only one of them actually played on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ Just An Opinion

Is the OP looking for genuine clarification on this?

Not sure will find out though, i Know Dr Mickey Loftus did not play but I think Padraig Carney and Paddy Prendergast did. Will verify this with the auld man and post back in the morning.

Is it true only one of them actually played on the day?

Not sure will find out though, i Know Dr Mickey Loftus did not play but I think Padraig Carney and Paddy Prendergast did. Will verify this with the auld man and post back in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ manofwisdom

Will be plenty of swearing and cursing from Mayo supporters if they lose another All Ireland on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,697 ✭✭✭✭ Ace2007

thomur wrote: »
    I heard it was a traveller woman and they were passing a traveller funeral. Anyway, Im a Dub and work in Mayo so I have divided loyalties. Its like I cant chooses between the ice cream or the apple tart

http://www.oneills.com/gift-ideas/half-half-county-jersey-1/half-half-county-jersey.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 Jake Rugby Walrus666

I think the facts speak for themselves.

The proof is in the pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭✭ Mena02

Peter Quinn is also alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 davegrohl48

Michael OMuihearteach is only person I heard say it was a funeral in Foxford Never heard this from anyone from Foxford In 1951 an incident as described would have been passed on down years with name of funeral in question It never happened

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ ProudDUB

Is the OP looking for genuine clarification on this?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and presume that the OP is asking whether or not the rest of us have heard of the curse, as opposed to asking if the curse itself is real. Coz if he is asking if the curse is real...well.....:o:o:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭ Hibbeler

Its BS. 1952 to 1988 Mayo didn't reach any All Ireland final. In 1989,1997,2004,2006 and 2012 they were simply beaten by sides that were better than them. 1996 was the one unlucky year but thats sport.

So you're saying that Mayo teams have consistently lost AI finals to better teams except that Meath team that deservedly beat them and went on to add another all-ireland 3 years later??? A team that included the likes of geraghty, giles, mcdermott and fay :confused:

Anyway I've been in enough '96 arguments while in college in the west to know that theres no point trying to argue with some of them. Would like to see Mayo finally do it but I'm glad that it's not at our expense, don't think I could stomach that. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭ aidan24326

Jazus the hairs stood on the back of my neck when I heard it, seemingly the Mayo winners in 1951 drove past a funeral on their way home from the all Ireland and the priest cursed them for doing it, the curse was they'd never win an all Ireland again until every player on that team is dead and buried, there's still one player still alive!

Any truth to this curse?

No, it's a silly old myth and that's all. How could you think otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭ Coillte_Bhoy

The OP is on the wind up or is a complete simpleton. I never heard of this curse in the 90's. Seems to have cropped up around 2004/06

• Registered Users Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭ Akrasia

Ye call that a curse?
    Biddy Early's curse lasted 81 years

(which is even more amazing given that she died herself in 1875 which was 39 years before she she cursed the Clare and Galway Teams)

Mayo, bunch of lightweights if you ask me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭ skaface

I was talking to my friend about this "curse", when his father overheard us and asked if we had heard about the curse on the Waterford hurlers, which i had never heard.
    He said that when Waterford Last won the AI in 1959, A child fell under the bus that was bringing the team up through the Quays in the city and died.
    His mother cursed the team and said Waterford would NOT win another Senior AI Hurling Title until all the team had died.. that was 50 odd years ago, and we have not won one since.. ( 5 or 6 of that team are still alive afaik)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ bo-sco

Hibbeler wrote: »
    So you're saying that Mayo teams have consistently lost AI finals to better teams except that Meath team that deservedly beat them and went on to add another all-ireland 3 years later??? A team that included the likes of geraghty, giles, mcdermott and fay :confused:

Anyway I've been in enough '96 arguments while in college in the west to know that theres no point trying to argue with some of them. Would like to see Mayo finally do it but I'm glad that it's not at our expense, don't think I could stomach that. :pac:

Well considering Mayo led by 6 points in the drawn game and were pegged by a flukey point that bounced over the bar with the last kick of the game, went to extra time in the replay having played without arguably their best player for the entire game and only lost to a magical point kicked in injury time one could argue that yes, they were every bit as good as Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭ iDave

bo-sco wrote: »
    Well considering Mayo led by 6 points in the drawn game and were pegged by a flukey point that bounced over the bar with the last kick of the game, went to extra time in the replay having played without arguably their best player for the entire game and only lost to a magical point kicked in injury time one could argue that yes, they were every bit as good as Meath.

Mayo weren't the only team in that era to build up a big lead against Meath and see it whittled down so theres nothing special about that. The flukey point could just as easily of been a flukey goal so they were lucky enough it was even a draw.
    The magical point was a well taken kick by Brendan Reilly, a player at the top of his game which followed a clever goal after some quick thinking by Graham Geraghty and Tommy Dowd.
    Meath 96 breezed their way to a Leinster final, ground a deserved victory against defending AI champions Dublin and hammered a heavily fancied Tyrone in the semi. Meath were the team of 96

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 MRnotlob606

we have similar story about the waterford hurling team, all nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ claypigeon777

Well if the supernatural does exist and this curse is for real then light a few candles in the church, say load of rosaries to Holy God, get the team to swear off booze and sluts and kebabs and kneel and pray, get a priest to perform an exorcism, sprinkle the team bus, their boots, the dressing room and the pitch with Holy Water and have the fans shout "IT'S THE POWER OF CHRIST THAT COMPELS YOU!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭ Amprodude

If they dont win on Sunday. Then there is truth in the curse.

Advertisement