Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Mayo have not been tested" superthread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Barlett

Donegal were not a genuine contender and bore far more resemblance to the Donegal teams that were annihilated in 2009 and 2010. than last year's team. They threw in the towel pretty much as soon as the ball was thrown in. Their minds were in the pub.

Tyrone are a decent enough team but weren't really a genuine All-Ireland contender, again they're miles off the 2005 and 2008 teams with a very pedestrian attack and style of play. Arguably fifth in the country this year.

Kerry and Cork were well ahead of anything Mayo have met.

I really don't think who the respective teams have beaten matters. The finalists have been head & shoulders above everyone else this year, hoping Mayo do it but I don't see how anyone can be sure of anything going into a final. Could swing either way, & I think the teams are very evenly matched.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

seligehgit wrote: »
    Most Mayo fans are very circumspect re our prospects,we know how difficult it is going to be.Sure some people will get carried away,especially if a microphone or widespread audience is put in front of them.
    Sure what's the point in turning up if we can't relay a modicum of positivity re our prospects?I've noticed a lot of Dublin fans are becoming very bullish re their prospects in the last few days.

I would fully expect Mayo people to have a modicum of positivity. Perfectly normal. But there's a big difference between that and some of the stuff that comes across as a win being a divine right. I know it's media reporting, spinning etc. but at the end of the day, it's coming from the mouths of actual Mayo supporters. Don't forget what I said about work emails I've engaged in. A simple question from me like "Watcha reckon?" is answered with some incredibly outrageous stuff like, "we deserve it", "its our time", "we've earned the right to it."

It's sport. Not a religion. But at least when the teams run out on Sunday all bull**** goes out the window and just after 5pm, we'll finally know. Best of luck to both sides. I hope its a great game. As for Dubs being bullish about our chances, I am anyway. I never take anything for granted no matter what has gone before or what any so called expert, commentator has to say. I'll take the game minute by minute and I've been around Dublin football long enough to know that nothing can be taken for granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Why does it matter, nobody can deny the two best teams in the country are facing each other, it's going to be a cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I would fully expect Mayo people to have a modicum of positivity. Perfectly normal. But there's a big difference between that and some of the stuff that comes across as a win being a divine right. I know it's media reporting, spinning etc. but at the end of the day, it's coming from the mouths of actual Mayo supporters. Don't forget what I said about work emails I've engaged in. A simple question from me like "Watcha reckon?" is answered with some incredibly outrageous stuff like, "we deserve it", "its our time", "we've earned the right to it."

It's sport. Not a religion. But at least when the teams run out on Sunday all bull**** goes out the window and just after 5pm, we'll finally know. Best of luck to both sides. I hope its a great game. As for Dubs being bullish about our chances, I am anyway. I never take anything for granted no matter what has gone before or what any so called expert, commentator has to say. I'll take the game minute by minute and I've been around Dublin football long enough to know that nothing can be taken for granted.

Fair points but as I said the vast majority of Mayo supporters don't engage in such silliness.
    smee again wrote: »
    Why does it matter, nobody can deny the two best teams in the country are facing each other, it's going to be a cracker

Is there any possibility that the game is been built up too much and rather than this predicted game of the century it turns into a dour affair?Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

seligehgit wrote: »
    Fair points but as I said the vast majority of Mayo supporters don't engage in such silliness.

Is there any possibility that the game is been built up too much and rather than this predicted game of the century it turns into a dour affair?Just wondering.

Your right. It could be a dour affair. Hope not. But based on what Dublin and Mayo have thrown up this year, they have the potential to offer up a great game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Nonsense. Hopefully Mayo will be the first county to win an All-Ireland after not "not being tested!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Nonsense. Hopefully Mayo will be the first county to win an All-Ireland after not "not being tested!!"

You wont be, as many a poster here was saying last year, "Donegal will be tested if can get ahead of them in the first half", it never happened, so we were never tested:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Kerry won multiple "soft" all Ireland's in the 00's apparently, some of them against mayo. Mayo will surely be tested Sunday though so if they win Sam they needn't worry.

Advertisement