Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Irish Bake Off

Options
  • 19-09-2013 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

TV personality and producer Anna Nolan will be fronting the show and is joined by judges Biddy White Lennon, an acclaimed food writer and Paul Kelly, award-winning pastry chef.

The contestants
    • AOIFE NIC AONGHUSA (25) from Kildare, is a capital forecasting analyst with Ulster Bank and currently living in Smithfield. She says that her increasing visits to the market there encouraged her love of baking.
    • BARBARA DOLAN (37) is a housewife living in Balrothery, Dublin. She recently joined a 'GAA for Mothers' team after watching her children enjoy sports for so many years.
    • BRIDGET HARNEY (28) is an occupational therapist from Hollywood, Co. Wicklow. She grew up farming and has a passion for animals.
    • LAURA CARROLL (17) is a secondary school student from Donaghmede and attends Manour House in Raheny. Her goal is to study Culinary Arts in DIT.
    • OONAGH BARRETT (43) is a mother and holistic health teacher based in Carlow, with her two children. She started off her career as a nurse and now focuses on teaching nutrition.
    • MARYANNE DALTON (36) is a lecturer at NUI Maynooth who lives in Rathfarnham with her partner and two dogs. She has a passion for photography.
    • DAIRE BEGLEY (42) from Kildare, where he lives with his wife and two children, and is a quality control manager for a pharmaceutical company. He comes from an active family and have several animals including kittens and ponies.
    • JAREK ORLOWSKI (30) is a barman originally from Poland, but living in Kilkenny for the last seven years. He's an avid baker who lives with his partner Gerard and pet dalmation.
    • STEPHEN CHISHOLD (22) is a business and economics student from Belfast, currently studying at Newcastle University. During his visits home, he loves to bake with his mother and family.
    • STEVE TWYDELL (42) is a special needs assistant from Sligo, originally from the UK. He has seven children and just became a first time grandfather and incorporates his passion for baking into his work with special needs children.
    • TOM WALTON (27) from Kilkenny, is a psychology research assistant at DCU. He says that baking allows his work with people with autism to show that you can achieve anything.
    • WILL DE KORTE (29) is a data manager from Limerick. Baking is in his blood - his father is a confectioner and his grandfather was a baker.
    Good luck to all contestants. Looks like it could be a good and entertaining programme.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you want someone to root for, Will is one of us. :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057040217

I'll leave this thread here for now, and I'll move it to Reality TV after the first ep has aired.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Will anyone be watching this tonight? It starts at 9pm on TV3.

Below link is a list of the Contestants........Should be good craic.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/meet-the-contestants-of-the-great-irish-bake-off-29587917.html

Sounds like a good mix (pun not intended!! :)) of people!

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Yup I can't wait GSW

I love baking :):)

I love cooking Lisha but I'm not great on the baking, will be looking for tips!

I don't think I'd last long there! :)

Cofy had a thread on the Television lads......delighted to see there is a Boardie (Will) on taking part!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86624044#post86624044

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Good luck, Chong/Will!

I love the British version of this show intensely, looking forward to this tonight.

Any chance we could do a Q&A with Will about the show either on this forum or a sub-forum?

• Advertisement

Hi Mods - I didn't see cofy's thread and I posted one in the Reality TV thread, can you merge or delete please?

I thought I was on my own cofy :), get the apron on and lets rattle the bowls and wooden spoons!!

Great to see we have a Boardie onboard!!

Thank you,
    GSW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

FDFF: See my link above. Will says he will do a Q&A on that thread tomorrow if anyone has any questions....

Sounds great, I'm looking forward to that tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Really looking forward to this! Set the reminder on the tv earlier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Thanks Mr. E. I did not realise there were other threads. I will most certainly be rooting for Will. I have been looking forward to this for ages.

One day my electric mixer died and my husband said he would whip the cream for a cake for me. I should have known better:o:eek:

ws39.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Right boardsies, 10 minutes to Chong time :)

God, I haven't seen Biddy in years!

She is looking well!

I never want to eat the bottom half of a cupcake.......:)

Loads of them are really dry underneath...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

cofy wrote: »
    Thanks Mr. E. I did not realise there were other threads. I will most certainly be rooting for Will. I have been looking forward to this for ages.

One day my electric mixer died and my husband said he would whip the cream for a cake for me. I should have known better:o:eek:

ws39.jpg
    I'm seriously impressed Cofy!

Mr. Cofy was determined to mix those ingredients for you, you must make wonderful cakes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Yeats cakes, I love it! Looking forward to this series :)

They don't seem to have much space at their work station do they?

The aprons remind me of the old Greenhill flannel bed sheets that my granny used to have in her house.

I never want to eat the bottom half of a cupcake.......:)

Loads of them are really dry underneath...

God Will is one handsome devil. I love the ideas they are coming up with. This is one programme you would not want to watch on an empty stomach.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Rainbow cupcakes...

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I'm seriously impressed Cofy!

Mr. Cofy was determined to mix those ingredients for you, you must make wonderful cakes :D

The state of the kitchen when he finished. He coated the whole kitchen with cream.:(

• Advertisement

Anna Nolan is looking very well.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Anna Nolan is looking very well.

Her hair is lovely MrsD......lovely shine off it......I'm starving now........

I hope there is not going to be a million ads....

Mmmmmmmmmm

Yummy

I'd love to able to do Swiss meringue topping for cupcakes

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

Ahh here if this was the British Bake off, Hollywood would be having a word with your man Tom, the state of his counter and sink.

I don't get the other guy cooking only one variety of cupcake when the brief is two.

The state of the kitchen when he finished. He coated the whole kitchen with cream.:(
    Gwan, tell us what type of cake you were making that day and...............did the heavy duty mixing help or hinder the baking process?

bluewolf wrote: »
    Rainbow cupcakes...

That was very impressive. Must take lots of practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

I'm enjoying this so far

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭dee_mc

• Advertisement

That was very impressive. Must take lots of practice.

My hand was shaking along with his......it must be so nerve-wracking to cook with a whole camera crew standing over you...........

Advertisement