Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting from scratch

• 18-09-2013 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

Im pretty new to this cycling crack. Im using a hybrid and I have no gear as I am just seeing how it goes.

I am using map my ride app. I prefer to cycle on my own as I tend to push a bit harder. Here is my progress to date if anyone has any tips or comments please give me them.

10.67km 16.2 kmph avg
    14.41km 16.8
    17.29km 19.4
    19.48km 19.5
    19.43km 19.8
    19.49km 20.9
    10.58km 19.5
    21.53km 20.8
    23.78km 20.2

Anyone any thoughts on how I should progress upwards?

How is my progress so far as far as someone starting cycling from scratch goes?

Any dos and donts?

Il listen to anything ye can offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I suppose if you outline your goals, we can advise you a bit better.

What I would say is that for a beginner it's not so much 'pushing harder' but spending alot of time on the bike.

To spend more time on the bike you'll need some of the basic equipment to make it more comfortable, decent padded shorts are a must and if you know someone who has any clue about bikes get them to have a look at your position on the bike.

The next thing you'll be looking for then is shoes and pedals....then watch out for the snowball effect...this time next year you will have a full carbon road bike and be asking about A4 racing!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Hi All.

Im pretty new to this cycling crack. Im using a hybrid and I have no gear as I am just seeing how it goes.

I am using map my ride app. I prefer to cycle on my own as I tend to push a bit harder. Here is my progress to date if anyone has any tips or comments please give me them.

10.67km 16.2 kmph avg
    14.41km 16.8
    17.29km 19.4
    19.48km 19.5
    19.43km 19.8
    19.49km 20.9
    10.58km 19.5
    21.53km 20.8
    23.78km 20.2

Anyone any thoughts on how I should progress upwards?

How is my progress so far as far as someone starting cycling from scratch goes?

Any dos and donts?

Il listen to anything ye can offer.

Cycle uphill? :D

Get a good pair of cycling shorts, get out on your bike as often as you can and enjoy it. You'll progress naturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

ericzeking wrote: »
    I suppose if you outline your goals, we can advise you a bit better.

What I would say is that for a beginner it's not so much 'pushing harder' but spending alot of time on the bike.

To spend more time on the bike you'll need some of the basic equipment to make it more comfortable, decent padded shorts are a must and if you know someone who has any clue about bikes get them to have a look at your position on the bike.

The next thing you'll be looking for then is shoes and pedals....then watch out for the snowball effect...this time next year you will have a full carbon road bike and be asking about A4 racing!!!!

Short term goal is 60km which is the distance to my GFs place. I suppose if I am realistic if I killed myself I could probably do it now. I guess the aim would be to do it in a relative comfort zone which is why im building up.

Padded shorts do sound like a good idea. Yes I can without doubt have someone take a look at my position although im clueless as to what that means.

How do people carry their phone by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Short term goal is 60km which is the distance to my GFs place. I suppose if I am realistic if I killed myself I could probably do it now. I guess the aim would be to do it in a relative comfort zone which is why im building up.

Padded shorts do sound like a good idea. Yes I can without doubt have someone take a look at my position although im clueless as to what that means.

Put your phone in your pocket. 60km is an easy target. Go for it! Just give yourself plenty of time. Don't worry about speed at this stage. The speed will come as you get fitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

How do people find cycling translates to fitness in other disciplines?

Would I find a difference when I go back playing GAA next year if I was cycling 200km a week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

In addition to the shorts, if you're cycling 60k for the first time, bring a snickers bar and bottle of water. After that, enough lights to be seen, and the basics to change a tyre (levers, pump, tube and try changing it once at home rather than learning in the pissings of rain on the side of the road). And speaking of pissings of rain, a basic waterproof jacket wouldn't hurt. If funds are tight, some good bike deals coming up in Aldi next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Noel.B

I started training 11 weeks before a charity cycle this year, missed 3 weeks during that time, and did 90k on the day of the cycle itself. Hoping to do 14 days of the same event next year. It's addictive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Cycling and GAA are 2 totally different disciplines (obviously). If you are doing 200 km a week it might even take away from your running in the sense that GAA is predominantly about short sprints so being explosive is necessary. If cycling 200km a week at the same intensity for the whole duration you could possibly train your body out of being explosive if you gets my meaning. All depends on the way you train on the bike (intensities) whether or not is will compliment your GAA. Hope that helps.
    Edit: unless of course your in goals.

Advertisement