Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council house wait!! ??

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Hope you get news soon of a council house. I went on the list in 2001 and got offered a house in 2012. That was in Meath. 11 years waiting! We didn't take the house in the end as our circumstances changed for the better and we bought our own home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭lauraelaine

lukesmom wrote: »
    Hope you get news soon of a council house. I went on the list in 2001 and got offered a house in 2012. That was in Meath. 11 years waiting! We didn't take the house in the end as our circumstances changed for the better and we bought our own home.

thanks so much, nice to hear things changed for the better for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

no if you read my comment again, I did not say I was paying their mortgage, the rent allowance is! and I also no 100% that is going on a mortgage.

And nothing on repairs and maintenace, insurance, property tax, etc? Yeah, right.

OP, here's a little something for you to think about: private rentals come with flooring, window coverings and an incredible amount of furniture and fittings - right down to the toaster. Council houses come with none of that (ok, occasionally the last tenant left the flooring and/or curtains). How are you planning to furnish a council house when you get one?

And nothing on repairs and maintenace, insurance, property tax, etc? Yeah, right.

OP, here's a little something for you to think about: private rentals come with flooring, window coverings and an incredible amount of furniture and fittings - right down to the toaster. Council houses come with none of that (ok, occasionally the last tenant left the flooring and/or curtains). How are you planning to furnish a council house when you get one?

You get a grant to help with furniture as far as I am aware

we have already had to buy loads of our own stuff, this place only had bare minimum.. definitely no toaster haha! and yes as stated you get a little help towards stuff, but we have a lot of our own got together through the years:)

• Advertisement

and we sure as hell don't get any repairs or maintenance done here either, oh and might I add we will be entitled to our full deposit back from the landlord which will go a long way towards new place :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

we have already had to buy loads of our own stuff, this place only had bare minimum.. definitely no toaster haha! and yes as stated you get a little help towards stuff, but we have a lot of our own got together through the years:)

Well done.
    *slow hand clap.

mikom wrote: »
    Well done.
    *slow hand clap.

Pretty unnecessary to say the least

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

and we sure as hell don't get any repairs or maintenance done here either, oh and might I add we will be entitled to our full deposit back from the landlord which will go a long way towards new place :)

A set of kitchen appliances will eat the entire deposit realistic. A decent couch is over 500 quid normally. It really won't go a long way unfortunately.

MYOB wrote: »
    A set of kitchen appliances will eat the entire deposit realistic. A decent couch is over 500 quid normally. It really won't go a long way unfortunately.

I dont think you realise how much of our own stuff we have..anyway im sick of every one on here.. Stuck up assholes.. Didnt think boards was even this bad.. Thanks for nothing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ok guys.
    I'm closing this thread. The amount of vitriol on display here- is embarrassing to say the least.

I cannot keep emphasising this enough- if you disagree with what another poster posts- either refute the post factually, without attacking the poster, or use the 'report post' function (that little triangle with the exclamation mark in it) to bring it to the attention of moderators.

Slinging abuse at one another- and name calling- achieves absolutely nothing, it does lower the tone of the place, and discourages people who may actually have helpful information, from posting.

We are all going to have different points of view- it would be very boring if we were all singing off the same hymn sheet- by having different points of view, we educate one another, and catch a glimpse at where some people may be coming from- that we may not have considered.

I'm also going to draw your attention to the forum charter, which is stickied on the root of this forum. If you intend to continue posting in this forum- READ IT AND COMPLY WITH IT.

I don't like having to complain at and admonish people the whole time- I'm actually normally a relatively easy going person- but it would appear that constantly warning people about their behaviour is not sufficient. If you do not behave in a civil manner towards one another- further warnings on thread are not going to be made- this is a final statement of this.

Regards,

The_Conductor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement