Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sent the text to the person the text was about

Options
13»

Comments

In my old job, an underling was complaining about his boss, accusing him of "bureaucratic bullsh1t". Of course he accidentally emailed all this to the boss.

The boss ( a buddy of mine) replied asking for an explanation. The guy just said "that email was not meant for you". Well, d'uh!! :pac:

I miss my old sony erricson I had in college nearly 10 years ago now. It sent messages so slowly that if I ever did hit "SEND" on a text message sent to the wrong person I had enough time to hold down the POWER button and knock the phone off before the message sent.

Think I made that mistake about 10 times back in my heavy texting days ( I worked in a quiet petrol station with LOTS of time for texting) and I managed to stop the message going every time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Why don't you test it out with another friend on Facebook? Send them a message, wait, delete it and see if they got it?

I'm sure it's been tried by now but I tried that, doesn't work
    Only deletes your copy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Someone was saying that it is possible to delete the facebook message; it appears that it won't disappear from your friends inbox: https://www.facebook.com/help/www/192631610782421

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

I manage a team of people in one of my careers. Some of them work weekends.

One Sunday morning, I'm lying in bed, and my phone beeps. It's a text from one of the guys (we'll call him Mark).

"Your smile melts my heart. When I finish at 12, I'm coming over to yours and I'm going to well and truly do you" **

This was followed about 5 minutes later by the "I'm sooooo sorry" text.

Next time I saw him in work, I walked quietly up behind him and said softly "Helloooooooo Mark"

Poor guy was mortified :-)

C635

** nb - that's the wording as close as I can remember it (year or so ago), but it was probably a bit more txtspk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I wonder did problems such as this exist in the olden days, before instant messaging? Did people send letters or telegrams to the wrong person by mistake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Met some guy in a club a few years ago. It was towards the end of the night so I was quite... merry... to say the least.

The next day, we were texting when my friend sent me a message to see how my night went. Sent her something along the lines of 'Great! Met a guy and we're meeting up this week. Just hope I recognise him - can't remember what he looks like!'

A minute later my phone beeped with 'I take it that last message wasn't for me.'

Mortified. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeadlyH83

beks101 wrote: »

• Site Banned Posts: 9 Orangebags

In my old job, an underling was complaining about his boss, accusing him of "bureaucratic bullsh1t". Of course he accidentally emailed all this to the boss.

The boss ( a buddy of mine) replied asking for an explanation. The guy just said "that email was not meant for you". Well, d'uh!! :pac:

Good reply though. Absolves him of needing to explain his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

I was watching suerbad a couple of years ago and myself and a friend were having a conversation over text about how one of our mutual friends looked like McLovin.... I sent it to him by mistake!!
    So to try to straighten things up I sent him a message really quickly saying that he had a twin in superbad.

He still won't talk to me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

tim3000 wrote: »
    What you should have done is copied a good chunk of your previous chat log with her then pasted it into chat straight away.That way your comment gets mixed up with all your old comments. She starts reading it then realises I have read this before booom problem solved

Thats absolutely awesome!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    As a rule of thumb, I generally wouldn't write anything I wouldn't want the person in question to read. Partly because I think it's mean to say negative things about friends
    Well I personally don't agree it's particularly unreasonable if a friend is giving you a hard time and you confide it in a non nasty manner to another friend, ask them if they've been getting the same treatment etc (as well as saying it to the person in question's face) - we're only human. But if you've never ever done that, good for you.

Ah well it could be worse. Just wait until that day where you set up your Android phone to auto upload pictures to your Circles Public Folder and you forget and take photos of a - questionable nature.

:-o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The wimminz may find this a hard concept to grasp, but maybe don't be go backstabbing your friends to your other friends thus avoiding these awkward situations

Bambi wrote: »
    The wimminz may find this a hard concept to grasp, but maybe don't be go backstabbing your friends to your other friends thus avoiding these awkward situations
    That was already covered at length, but any opportunity to say what you said at the beginning of the post, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Bambi wrote: »

Yeah, cos it truly is a female only thing.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

SV wrote: »
    Yeah, cos it truly is a female only thing.

:rolleyes:

Only referred to as "backstabbing" when it involves a woman (wimmen :rolleyes:) though, tellingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

I don't send nasty messages about friends to other friends of course, but if a friend was being really out of order, you might confide in another friend about it.

Ladies, hasn't high school taught you anything about bitching behind each others backs?

Don't put anything in writing. Your current confident may not always be your BFF, and will not hesitate to use that little piece of textual backstabbing to her own advantage one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

So, this just happened to me.
    Only in the form of a facebook message.

I had a little rant about a friend of mine who has been totally flaky and MIA the last while....probably because of her new OH...TO THE FLAKY FRIEND.

So I panicked and followed it up with a whole bunch of apologetic long-winded nonsense and I'm just sitting here waiting for that dreaded little "Seen By Flaky Friend" to appear so the process of absolute mortification can be complete.

Not too bad as far as mis-sent messages go, to be fair.

Anyone have any worse horror stories?

What age are you, and what's this new word 'flaky'!!! and are you not happy that she has a new Man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

ardle1 wrote: »
    What age are you, and what's this new word 'flaky'!!! and are you not happy that she has a new Man?

28, http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flaky , thrilled for her - I introduced them - but miss my friend.

Have a good day :)

• Advertisement

what's this new word 'flaky'
    Just because you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it's new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

That ardle1, oh God, how can he/she not know what flaky means, I mean come on!!!!

Edit: Oh sh*t!

Just because you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it's new.

YES IT DOES!!....... I thought her friend had a bad case of dandruff.

28, http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flaky , thrilled for her - I introduced them - but miss my friend.

Have a good day :)

I do apologise.. I didn't know you introduced them, I'd say that was sore:)

I do apologise.. I didn't know you introduced them, I'd say that was sore:rolleyes:
    Ah no need for that. She made it extremely clear what the story is with this person's behaviour, which is ignored.
    The more harsh recriminations against Beks are pretty silly - and look like the ladies doth protest too much. Nobody's perfect, no matter how much they think they are.

I do apologise.. I didn't know you introduced them, I'd say that was sore:)
    Ah no need for that. She made it extremely clear what the story is with this person's behaviour, which is ignored.
    The more harsh recriminations against Beks are pretty silly - and look like the ladies doth protest too much. Nobody's perfect, no matter how much they think they are.

Am only kiddin,I have a wee red devil on my left shoulder tonight:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Just today actually, well, it wasn't a case of mistaken recipient so much as mistaken identity. I usually get quotes from tradesmen.ie for work that needs doing in tenant's residences, and I'd fill out the form with my work number. So earlier on this evening I got a call on my work number looking for my wife! Unusual I thought, but however anyway I handed the phone over to my wife thinking she must have put my number down for something.

She was about a minute on the phone to the guy when she hung up and said "Some guy asking about my plumbing, WTF??". I only copped then that the guy was the plumber looking for the tenant who has the same name as my wife! :D

On another occasion, years ago now, I was seeing two girls at the same time, and I was waiting outside work for one girl to collect me, while I was texting the other girl that I wouldn't be able to see her tonight as I was working late. Sent the message just as the other girl pulled up in her car...

Saw her look at her phone, "Ohh I didn't...", I thought to myself. Ohh yes, I did.

The look she gave me as I sat into the car :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Once sent someone their own phone number with "but you didn't get from me, ok?" underneath (someone else had asked me for their number :o). And I sent "Oh, you have to come tonight, don't leave me on my own with X!" to X. Awkward. In fairness, that was when I was about 14, I doubt either of them even remember. More recently, it's only been benign stuff like "Yep, I called her, she said she can go" to the person I'd just called instead of the person who asked me to call her. I get so paranoid now though - always check the recipient about 40 times before sending anything :o

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Thought I sent a message to a work colleague "John looks really sh*t today, was he out on the batter?"....but sent it to John by mistake. Turns out he had been mugged in town. Oops

• Advertisement

Sklarker wrote: »
    Thought I sent a message to a work colleague "John looks really sh*t today, was he out on the batter?"....but sent it to John by mistake. Turns out he had been mugged in town. Oops

so you were right! he was out and got battered
    [IMG][/img]Batteredandtired.gif

Advertisement