Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In Laws

Options
  • 11-09-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

How do you mix/get on with your in-laws?
    Am with my hubbie 5 yrs, married 2yr, no kids, live 2 1/2 hr drive ( 3 hr minimum when stuck in traffic en route on a Friday after work!) from mother in law/father in law's house.
    Mother in law is central, dominant matriarch figure with all her grown up kids living in a three mile radius of her. Father in law is a quiet, passive individual. we visit 1 weekend in 5 or 6.
    The surrounding 5 grown up , married, working, kids are very dependent on her for child care, cooking dinners. Mother in-law loves this dependancy. On average 2 daughters ring 5 times a day on the phone- questions vary between what did they have for dinner, what is going in now.... constant detail required by them- these daughters are 36yr and 37yr with young families.

Hubbie is the only child to have 'moved' away- he wont admit it but he gets this guilt complex from the females in the family... smart texts/facebook comments ' we never see you...poor me' 'hey stranger' - lots more undercurrent stuff... it may appear menial as I write but the tone in which it is inferred is what I pickup on. I am no-fool and I am not 'reading' into it. it is what it is unquestionably.

Hubbie also gets a mega list of jobs to do when he arrives home, even though the brother down the road does feck all around for the parents. I get on with the sisters alright, 2 have visited us twice and it was fantastic to have them, 2 other sisters haven't visited our home ever and despite many invitations, they have never came to see us. these 2 are the most verbally cutting to hubbie, who is soft and just takes it.

I am truly sick of this indebted guilt my hubbies feels towards 'deserting the family fold' and although I have brought the subject up very delicately, he shrugs it off reluctantly, saying it doesn't bother him.
    mother in law and I chat and get on ok, I don't want to get too close as she is so controlling that I would be afraid she would try to control me...I have been independent since 23yr, mortgage since 24yr, I always made up my own mind to do things/travel etc. am in my 30's now.
    have any of you ever experience this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Mod Note:
    If you're looking for specific advice on your situation OP then this may be better suited to Relationship Issues. If you want a general discussion on the topic then we'll keep it here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I see you've already posted the same thread in Personal Issues. Duplicate posting across forums isn't allowed, so I'm going to lock this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement