Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 1520 - 6 inch display!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Hopefully you will,shame the way ireland is way behind the uk,lm just lucky i can get my hands on early..its big but fast ...

Yeah, that's always the case - smaller market, etc so networks only like to stock phones that are a 'safe bet'. We'll see in January ;)

As for the phone itself, I've read and seen on video that it is a bit faster but I'm curious to see what I can do with apps for that screen size/resolution.

Currently, when you run an app, it's simply scaled up to fit the screen but as the Lumia 1520 is a physically bigger phone, a developer can make the content on the screen (text, buttons, images, etc) just a little smaller, thus making room for more content, while not affecting the usability of the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Played with this about 6 weeks ago. Absolutely enormous in the hand (I have a Note 3....). Extremely fast device too. Really like what Nokia are doing these days - only ones doing something that feels different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Played with this about 6 weeks ago. Absolutely enormous in the hand (I have a Note 3....). Extremely fast device too. Really like what Nokia are doing these days - only ones doing something that feels different.
    Yeah I've a note 3 too, never thought I see a big device especially form Nokia. I posted a shot of both earlier in the thread side by side.
    Big but fast and powerful.

theothernt wrote: »
    Yeah, that's always the case - smaller market, etc so networks only like to stock phones that are a 'safe bet'. We'll see in January ;)

As for the phone itself, I've read and seen on video that it is a bit faster but I'm curious to see what I can do with apps for that screen size/resolution.

Currently, when you run an app, it's simply scaled up to fit the screen but as the Lumia 1520 is a physically bigger phone, a developer can make the content on the screen (text, buttons, images, etc) just a little smaller, thus making room for more content, while not affecting the usability of the app.

So far I've had no issues in any respect. So I'm happy with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yeah I've a note 3 too, never thought I see a big device especially form Nokia. I posted a shot of both earlier in the thread side by side.
    Big but fast and powerful.

I dont think its that fast. Its great looking, games etc on the big screen, but seemed to lag longer on side by side comparison. Used a 1020 at the time but wasn't updated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

But it would seem that the masses of the public don't want something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

6 inches is way too big imo. I mean would this even fit in your pocket? We are slowly going back to the days when phones were like bricks that you had to hold up to your ear. Also you must look like some spa taking a photo with one of these. You'd look almost as bad as one of those crowd who take photos with the ipad. It looks ridiculous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

SeaDaily wrote: »
    6 inches is way too big imo. I mean would this even fit in your pocket? We are slowly going back to the days when phones were like bricks that you had to hold up to your ear. Also you must look like some spa taking a photo with one of these. You'd look almost as bad as one of those crowd who take photos with the ipad. It looks ridiculous.

It does fit in the pocket just about, its not much wider than the 1020, just a good bit longer. For the size it is considerably light.

Davy wrote: »
    It does fit in the pocket just about, its not much wider than the 1020, just a good bit longer. For the size it is considerably light.

That does make it sound much more attractive, although needing two hands to use it puts me off.

That does make it sound much more attractive, although needing two hands to use it puts me off.

Ye its a great device for two hands, but for a using it one handed is not really an option. The 1020 is big enough for one handed imo.

• Advertisement

But it would seem that the masses of the public don't want something different.

Certainly one conclusion that you could draw.

Just got one (have a lend of one for a few weeks, for testing). Really big, definitely too big for one handed use (for me, anyway!) but quite light and very fast. Makes an iPhone look tiny :)

I still need to test the camera properly but it seems to be a little better than the 920. I've used the 1020 but it I think it's too slow for general use.

I like the camera on the 1520, and having the big screen makes it great to view them. One plus over the 1020

Still draw myself to the 1020 but for size the 1520 is good if you like big phones,love them both:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

The Nokia Lumia Icon (as it will be called on Verizon in the US) is a nice mix of the 1020 and 1520 as it has the size of the former with the guts of the latter. It's supposedly going to be called the 928 when it launches elsewhere.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    The Nokia Lumia Icon (as it will be called on Verizon in the US) is a nice mix of the 1020 and 1520 as it has the size of the former with the guts of the latter. It's supposedly going to be called the 928 when it launches elsewhere.

Highly unlikely. I'd go as far to say no right now.

Highly unlikely. I'd go as far to say no right now.

I don't understand what you mean. Highly unlikely that it will be a handset you'd be interested in?

I don't understand what you mean. Highly unlikely that it will be a handset you'd be interested in?
    Nope it's a custom made handset.
    No variant same as last model.

Nope it's a custom made handset.
    No variant same as last model.

I got the model wrong, I meant to say Nokia 929. That's the handset I thought you'd be interested in which Verizon is calling the Nokia Lumia Icon. It's a 5" version of the 1520 from the specs that have been "leaked" so far. If that makes it over to this side of the world, I'd say it would do pretty well for itself.

I got the model wrong, I meant to say Nokia 929. That's the handset I thought you'd be interested in which Verizon is calling the Nokia Lumia Icon. It's a 5" version of the 1520 from the specs that have been "leaked" so far.

I'd like to see it, but these custom handset's are trouble.

• Advertisement

Looks very thick.

Looks very thick.
    Yeah will wait to see in person first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Anyone seen the device available on Irish providers !?

rolion wrote: »
    Anyone seen the device available on Irish providers !?
    Not available yet.

Now on sale in vodafone via special order.

Special order, do you have to prove you're insane first? ;-)

theothernt wrote: »
    Special order, do you have to prove you're insane first? ;-)

Is ordering such a big screen not proof enough :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

where, a link something !?
    thanks

I know a guy who tested one and he reckons 3 days battery life is attainable.

• Advertisement

I know a guy who tested one and he reckons 3 days battery life is attainable.

Did he say anything about his usage?
    Was he in offline mode?

I found gaming had a huge impact on the battery, and wouldn't see 3 days off one charge.

Advertisement