Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia Lumia 1520 - 6 inch display!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Looks very thick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Looks very thick.
    Yeah will wait to see in person first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Anyone seen the device available on Irish providers !?

rolion wrote: »
    Anyone seen the device available on Irish providers !?
    Not available yet.

Now on sale in vodafone via special order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

jimmynokia wrote: »

Special order, do you have to prove you're insane first? ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

theothernt wrote: »
    Special order, do you have to prove you're insane first? ;-)

Is ordering such a big screen not proof enough :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

where, a link something !?
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I know a guy who tested one and he reckons 3 days battery life is attainable.

• Advertisement

I know a guy who tested one and he reckons 3 days battery life is attainable.

Did he say anything about his usage?
    Was he in offline mode?

I found gaming had a huge impact on the battery, and wouldn't see 3 days off one charge.

Yeah it's attainable if you leave it on standby for three days!

Davy wrote: »
    Was he in offline mode?

I found gaming had a huge impact on the battery, and wouldn't see 3 days off one charge.

I haven't done any scientific testing, but that seems possible - with a SIM card installed and moderate use (not games!).

If you're using the phone in offline/flight mode (or without a SIM), most Lumia's will last at least a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I find my 1020 lasts longer than my old Galaxy S II with the same usage and same settings, e.g. calls, texts, web browsing and lowest screen brightness, no Bluetooth. Given that, it's understandable that you could obtain longer performance on the 1520 compared to other, similar handsets.

With that said, 3 days sounds as if there is no wireless activity and minimal usage of the device but it would be interesting to learn otherwise once the handset is in more people's hands.

Davy wrote: »
    Was he in offline mode?

Hmmm he didn't in fairness but I would be surprised if it was light usage given his role.

Yeah it's attainable if you leave it on standby for three days!

The same guy said that he used it in exactly the same way he does his iPhone 5S - which is dead come 5pm everyday. That might give some additional context - might not.

• Advertisement

The same guy said that he used it in exactly the same way he does his iPhone 5S - which is dead come 5pm everyday. That might give some additional context - might not.

It is actually. Bloody good feature considering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone know if any of the Vodafone stores have it out on display? Would really like to hold one in my hand to judge the size for myself!

EDIT: Or even anywhere with the 1320 as it is more or less the same size?

Anyone know if any of the Vodafone stores have it out on display? Would really like to hold one in my hand to judge the size for myself!

EDIT: Or even anywhere with the 1320 as it is more or less the same size?

None on display from any store i was in,the 1320 is not out here yet dont think it will be either..

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

1320 just looks to be budget version of 1520.

Would have thought we'd see that here before the 1520.

Looks like it can be for a fairly reasonable price at the moment. Can even get it in yellow but looks like shipped from China or Hong Kong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Coconut Joe

Looks like it can be for a fairly reasonable price at the moment. Can even get it in yellow but looks like shipped from China or Hong Kong?

Got the yellow one myself, defo coming from somewhere in Asia. Took 6 days from order to delivery, haven't had time to get a sim yet but man the screen is gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Getting mine tomorrow...
    Bigger than Note3 !? Hmm... nice.
    Better !? Hmm...dunno.

Getting mine tomorrow...
    Bigger than Note3 !? Hmm... nice.
    Better !? Hmm...dunno.

Post some pics!

Post some pics!

I could compare it to other Windows Phone and an iPhone in a pic?

Hmmm...i had it like for ...few minutes in a sealed box today..and gone was it!
    Thanks Vodafone...

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Thanks Vodafone...

I can't make sense of any of what you have written there.

Thanks Vodafone...

Reading that infuriated me.

So has anyone found any details on vodafones 'special' order yet.

So,as i explained in the link to Vodafone section...went to a Vodafone store that had a 1520 in stock.After going trough all the hassle with porting a number from another network,i had to leave the shop ... without the phone !
    I had the phone in my hands for few minutes while arguing with the staff,i didn't open the box but...felt great.Never tought i will see the day when i will just go so creazy after a fcuking phone !! :)
    I hope that clarifies above ... unknowns known.

Re Vodafone,they will take orders for 1520 in the shop or online.Another shop had two 1520 but was on-hold for a customer(s) to collect it.I can't "afford" to buy it ready to go or from a third party due to personal taxation circumstances.

Feel sorry that no other networks have the phone on offer,at least on pre -orders ! Wondering ...what do they know and we don't !??

Look what landed with me today

BgRRegkIUAARkmt.jpg

Quite nice slimmer edges any questions just ask.

• Advertisement

Look what landed with me today

BgRRegkIUAARkmt.jpg

Quite nice slimmer edges any questions just ask.

Interesting, let us know what you think?

Lumia 1520 owners check for an update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭g0g

I see on HUKD you can pick thee up for around £ 400 on Amazon now if anyone's looking for SIM free.

Says dispatched usually within 4-5 days it says. Might need to use Parcel Motel.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G9YU07Y/

g0g wrote: »
    I see on HUKD you can pick thee up for around £ 400 on Amazon now if anyone's looking for SIM free.

Says dispatched usually within 4-5 days it says. Might need to use Parcel Motel.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G9YU07Y/

Yeah going to order one soon! I see there are some sellers on ebay who now have them for £365 (~€450). I presume the Amazon seller is also going to be sending the phone from Hong Kong so probably no difference? I also read on another other forum people in the UK ordered from that seller(cc-electronic) and received it no problem. From what I understand though if there is any problem with the device it has to go back to Nokia Hong Kong as Nokia UK only supports devices bought in UK & Ireland?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've got mine now, if you've used a 925 this thing is like a scaled up version of that, fits perfectly in my jeans and the screen is brilliant.

Yeah got mine today as well. Very happy with it. I like the size of it, think I'll find it hard to go back to a smaller phone after this!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I had to return mine to Vodafone, when the backlight goes to its lowest setting there was a dark area at the top of the screen, they've to evaluate it before giving me a new one. I'm back on the 925 whilst they evaluate.

The backlight was fine on the low brightness it was just the lowest value on auto. I use my phone a lot in the dark so it was annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

So, to 1520 users - is this worth getting?
    I have an Ativ S but I am drawn to this Lumia - I've big old hands but the 6" is making me waiver as I'd be using this day-to-day out and about, is it too unwieldy or just right?

I've looked at the 925 but the 4.5 screens annoy me at this stage, I'm use to the 4.7 inchers as a starting point.

I've heard reports of mad looking giant text on it as well, is there no option to scale the text (on tiles/menus etc)

I'd be buying simfree as I'll never go back to Voda

It's hard to tell you if it's worth getting, dealing with the size is a personal thing and it's just going to suit some people or it's not, mostly not? I've had it about 5 days now and would say for me it is borderline too big. I would consider my hands pretty big, I'm 6'4". Also I am coming from an LG G2 which has a 5.2" screen but that feels too small to me now. I think the sweet spot is about 5.9/5.10" with minimal bezel, for me anyway!? I also find that while the matte finish is very nice it is quite slippy in the hand. I'm waiting on a slim rubberised case which I'm hoping will make it lot easier to hold and also stop me accidentally hitting the buttons which I regularly do when trying to pick it up off the table.

The OS is not really optimised for such a big screen and it is noticeable on some screens and in some apps but for the most part it is a pleasure to use. Another thing is that I am a bit self conscious when using it in public. All my friends have been giving me a good natured slagging about the size too. Do I regret getting it? It's early days but I'm leaning towards no. I tend to switch phones fairly regularly but I can see myself sticking with this for 6 months at least which is long for me.

I read a lot of reviews and I would say this is the most accurate/one I agree with most

Any questions just ask!?

• Advertisement

What's your backlight light when on auto and in a really dark room, mine was very splotchy so returned it. I just want to make sure any replacement will be better. Vodafone sure take their time when it comes to exchange of faulty goods.

Backlight seems fine to me when on auto in a dark room, consistent level of brightness throughout the screen. Sometimes it does take a few seconds to adjust but that only seems noticeable when you've been in a bright place and then next time you turn your phone on it is in a dark place? Is it the glossy red version you got from Vodafone? I've read that it is lot better grip wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Coconut Joe

Is anyone having connectivity problems? I find I have to turn on and off flight mode to get the phone online periodically, happens with mobile and wifi, both show connected but can't receive any data.

Backlight seems fine to me when on auto in a dark room, consistent level of brightness throughout the screen. Sometimes it does take a few seconds to adjust but that only seems noticeable when you've been in a bright place and then next time you turn your phone on it is in a dark place? Is it the glossy red version you got from Vodafone? I've read that it is lot better grip wise?

No plain black, I didn't know they had a red one available.

Here's a pic of the backlight, hopefully will have the new one by tomorrow.

It's hard to tell you if it's worth getting, dealing with the size is a personal thing and it's just going to suit some people or it's not, mostly not? I've had it about 5 days now and would say for me it is borderline too big. I would consider my hands pretty big, I'm 6'4". Also I am coming from an LG G2 which has a 5.2" screen but that feels too small to me now. I think the sweet spot is about 5.9/5.10" with minimal bezel, for me anyway!? I also find that while the matte finish is very nice it is quite slippy in the hand. I'm waiting on a slim rubberised case which I'm hoping will make it lot easier to hold and also stop me accidentally hitting the buttons which I regularly do when trying to pick it up off the table.

The OS is not really optimised for such a big screen and it is noticeable on some screens and in some apps but for the most part it is a pleasure to use. Another thing is that I am a bit self conscious when using it in public. All my friends have been giving me a good natured slagging about the size too. Do I regret getting it? It's early days but I'm leaning towards no. I tend to switch phones fairly regularly but I can see myself sticking with this for 6 months at least which is long for me.

I read a lot of reviews and I would say this is the most accurate/one I agree with most

Any questions just ask!?

Thanks for that.
    I've read quite a bit too and heard all the variables but nice to hear real-world experience.
    It's a lot of dosh for simfree but I am tempted.

I'm guessing Nokia rather than MS will fix stuff like overly large text on OS menus etc (is that really bad cos that would totally annoy me)

What's the sound like?

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    I've read quite a bit too and heard all the variables but nice to hear real-world experience.
    It's a lot of dosh for simfree but I am tempted.

I'm guessing Nokia rather than MS will fix stuff like overly large text on OS menus etc (is that really bad cos that would totally annoy me)

What's the sound like?

It's not bad at all really but a prime example of outsized text is in the Baconit (Reddit) app. I've taken a crappy picture with a Nexus 4 to give you an idea. Another example of just poor use of space is the alarm, just 2 tiny buttons for snooze and dismiss. It would be great if they had made huge buttons so when you wake up you're not fiddling with the phone trying to find the snooze button. It's Microsoft that really needs to address these kind of things or else let Nokia and other app makers to develop apps that take advantage of the space?

Sound is good. Can't speak for music but I listen to audiobooks a lot and so far it has sounded great. The sooner 8.1 comes out with separate volume controls the better though. I listen to audiobooks with earphones at very high volumes so if I forget to put the ringer on vibrate and then get a notification it absolutely blows the head off me!! The external speaker is fine, does a decent job as you'd expect.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/38239/296162.jpg
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/38239/296163.jpg

• Advertisement

Yeah, volume control is crucial - how that slipped by I don't know.

Thanks for the pics, text doesn't look too bad actually!

Nokia appear to release device specific updates independent of MS which is a major plus for me, Samsung are pretty dormant with WP8 updates/apps/support though i suppose that's cos they only have 1 model out and that's almost a year old.

8.1 should be worth the wait, I really like the OS and I have all the apps I need (I'm sick of hearing about the lack of apps as a con in every review of any wp8 phone, WP8 hasn't as many as ios or android but then 99% of those are utter garbage)
    The big ones are almost all there (Flipboard should hurry up)

I'll know in a week or so if I can take the plunge on this, I'm leaning yes at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

Hi Lads,

How did the 1520 go for you all?

I've been in the market for a Windows phone with a while now and am supposed to be picking up my 950 this week.

Thing is though I'm a bit nervous after reading many 950 reviews and am now considering purchasing a 1520 instead. Would you recommend the 1520? Seems to be a serious piece of equipment. Even now.

Don't want to risk purchasing a second hand 1520 and will probably buy a new one straight from Microsoft. Is it difficult to get them unlocked from the AT&T network for say emobile?

Cheers,
    NBD.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

Thanks, mp22.

Have never bought an electronic device through Amazon. Is it safe enough?

Also, when these phones say "unlocked" is it certain then they work with Irish carriers?

Finally, do you think it's the right decision to get the older 1520 over the new flagship 950?

Cheers, man.

Appreciated.

Nabidana wrote: »
    Thanks, mp22.

Have never bought an electronic device through Amazon. Is it safe enough?

Also, when these phones say "unlocked" is it certain then they work with Irish carriers?

Finally, do you think it's the right decision to get the older 1520 over the new flagship 950?

Cheers, man.

Appreciated.

I wouldn't purchase 1520 now over the 950 especially since the 950 price drop and free display dock etc.

Amazon are fine for purchasing sim free phones, but from one of the EU sites like .co.uk or .de and the phone will work fine with no import taxes. The only issue may be a 2 pin plug top which you may need an Adapter for €2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement