Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nilesat on 1.8metre dish

Options
  • 08-09-2013 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Find some test results from nilesat 7west in Donegal.
    we have also tried the JSC sports channels from the Internet, and works great.

https://www.facebook.com/ISAA.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

I'm definitely going to try my 1.5m in carlow so. What lnb are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

ISAA wrote: »
    Find some test results from nilesat 7west in Donegal.
    we have also tried the JSC sports channels from the Internet, and works great.

https://www.facebook.com/ISAA.ie

What snr percentage did you get on jsc sport hd?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

tapfit2004 wrote: »

Check out ISAA photo's on facebook site, 1.8 metre is back dish with LNB and feed horn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Check out ISAA photo's on facebook site, 1.8 metre is back dish with LNB and feed horn

This include 201 ? What times of the day ?

At those db levels presumably rain would wipe this out.

STB wrote: »
    This include 201 ? YES What times of the day ? ALL DAY

At those db levels presumably rain would wipe this out.
    NO

• Advertisement

I found you need a real sat metre, as 8 west very close, and can cause issues alinging antenna, (beam width of antenna)
    LNB also very important, cheap LNB's lose major signal, major loss without correct feed horn.

Just like the old days, you need to know what you are doing.:D

Thanks Gerry.

Didnt realise you were getting 68 dBμV. What type meter do you use ?

Would be interested what that drops to in wet weather conditions.

Being in the extreme south reception would be even better, yet I still cant imagine (getting away with) sticking a Channel Master in the back garden. :)

Thanks Gerry.

Being in the extreme south reception would be even better, yet I still cant imagine (getting away with) sticking a Channel Master in the back garden. :)

Just proves trying is beliving. I'm in the worst position in Ireland, so possible 24/7 reception with the right installation, and equipment.
    The footprint states mid Spain ? happy aligning.

Thanks Gerry.

(with the wife or neighbours )

Both Gerry, both.

Herself would definitely notice it.

• Advertisement

More photo's on facebook site of nilesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mohailem

what lnb you using ,gerry?
    1.5 will do? south wll be better reception is think

Inverto type, with channel master feed horn.
    1.5 prime focus or offset ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mohailem

Inverto type, with channel master feed horn.
    1.5 prime focus or offset ?
    appreciated your reply gerry
    my dish 1.5 offset ,smart lnb.
    pointed to arabsat badr 26e at the moment 52% mbc`s but no signal for aljazeera sport 12341 at all.
    wandering if i can get any signal from nilesat 7w with above options?

No signal from 26 east for jsc sports, with 1.8 metre.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭BPH

Anyone here from Clare who can pick up Al Jazeera Sports ? What size dish are you using ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

tapfit2004 wrote: »

hi did u have a try

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭BPH

Nothing done, thinking of setting it up but unsure of what size dish to get. I've read on here some lads have a 1m dish and can pick up Al Jazeera fine. I'm very new to this so I don't really know what's what. I'd have no problem installing a 1m dish but 1.5m is a bit too much I'm afraid. I'll stick with sky sports for another while until I suss this out further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

BPH wrote: »
    Nothing done, thinking of setting it up but unsure of what size dish to get. I've read on here some lads have a 1m dish and can pick up Al Jazeera fine. I'm very new to this so I don't really know what's what. I'd have no problem installing a 1m dish but 1.5m is a bit too much I'm afraid. I'll stick with sky sports for another while until I suss this out further.

Al Jazeera 1 -4 can be picked up on Hotbird but not the Al Jazerra stations that show EPL (I'm guessing that you are talking about EPL because you mentioned Sky Sports) on Nilesat and Arabsat.

In other words, the Al Jazeera stations that can be picked up in Ireland generally do not show EPL
    Satellite
    Frequency
    Orbit
    Symbol Rate
    FEC
    Polarity
    Remarks
    Arabsat
    26 E
    3/4
    Horizontal
    Aljazeera Arabic , Documentry , English , Mubasher , Mubasher Misr , Sport 1
    Arabsat
    26 E
    3/4
    Vertical
    Sports News
    Arabsat
    26 E
    3/4
    Horizontal
    sport Channels +6, +7, +8, +9 & +10
    Arabsat
    26 E
    3/4
    Vertical
    Aljazeera Arabic , Documentry , English , Mubasher , Mubasher Misr, Aljazeera America
    Arabsat
    26 E
    3/4
    Horizontal
    Sport Channels +1, +2, +3, +4, & +5

Satellite
    Frequency
    Orbit
    Symbol Rate
    FEC
    Polarity
    Remarks
    Hotbird
    13 E
    3/4
    Horizontal
    AJS +1, +2, +3, +4, JSC Sports News, JSC Sports Global
    Hotbird
    13 E
    3/4
    Vertical
    Aljazeera Arabic , Documentry, Mubasher
    Hotbird
    13 E
    3/4
    Vertical
    Aljazeera English
    Hotbird
    13 E
    3/4
    Horizontal
    Sport Global
    Hotbird
    13 E
    2/3
    Horizontal
    Bein Sport 1 (DVb-S2)
    Hotbird
    13 E
    3/4
    Vertical
    JSC Sport Events

http://sat.aljazeera.net/en/frequencies.aspx?satelliteid=qDBSWR4T8ow%3d&countryid=fN2QaAI2has%3d

http://jsc-cards.com/order/frequency.html

Hope the above helps you understand a little more and I'm correct iin what I'm writing.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

I took the plunge and got a 1.8 offset dish, inverto ultra LNB, I have the pole up, in the middle of aligning the dish now (it's very cold!) I'm looking for Nilesat, I got 1w no problem, just to have it as a guide so I know I'm pretty close, I'm having no joy in picking up Nilesat just yet, how much, if any difference in elevation is there between 1w and 7w? Would any skew on the LNB help? If i put any skew on 1w it puts it way out.
    What would be the strongest frequency to try to get a signal? I've tried a few different ones that I've found in searches on the net?
    I'm in North Louth btw, any help would be greatly appreciated folks, thanks

• Advertisement

I got a signal of 40% quality on jsc sport 1,2 and global, the elevation on my bracket seems to be an issue, I'm gonna give up for the night and turn it around in the morning and go again, a bit of messing about with the LNB position helped also. If anyone has any tips on improving the signal quality in the meantime I'll greatly appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

Finne1993 wrote: »
    I got a signal of 40% quality on jsc sport 1,2 and global, the elevation on my bracket seems to be an issue, I'm gonna give up for the night and turn it around in the morning and go again, a bit of messing about with the LNB position helped also. If anyone has any tips on improving the signal quality in the meantime I'll greatly appreciate it!
    Keep us updated mate. But keep an eye on elevation and lnb skew

Ok, I'm getting a strong enough signal now, on my meter it's showing up as around 38-40% on the fta jsc channels, once I hook the dish up to the receiver (technomate 5402HD) the signal is showing at 58-60% which is pretty strong, problem is I'm not scanning in HD5 & HD6, HD1-HD4 are scanning fine and I can watch them with no break up, the fta AD Sport frequency is next to the HD6 one and its blasting in at 64%. Problem I have is that my metre is only DVB-S and not S2 so I'm having difficulty outside! Is there any other frequency I can try out so I could tweak the signal a bit more so I could get HD6?
    I'm very close but not close enough!

Got it!! Major amount of messing about with the LNB Bracket but I now have HD5, HD6 and JSC Sports news coming in at 63% quality! When I get it all tightened up and tidied up ill post some pictures of the set up! Patience is the key!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Got it!! Major amount of messing about with the LNB Bracket but I now have HD5, HD6 and JSC Sports news coming in at 63% quality! When I get it all tightened up and tidied up ill post some pictures of the set up! Patience is the key!

Hi finne, surprised you got that! Could you tell us the make of dish?

I`m just north of Newry and i`d like to think its possible here?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

great work,
    fair play for sticking at it :)

loughside wrote: »
    Hi finne, surprised you got that! Could you tell us the make of dish?

I`m just north of Newry and i`d like to think its possible here?!!

I got it in Satworld in Dublin, €350 but they will not deliver it and won't take a card payment over the phone. You'll need to get someone you know and trust to collect it because it comes unboxed and it can't get any dents at all on it. It's a very sturdy and strong dish, brackets are all galvanised, you'll need a pole 4-5 inches wide and buried at least 3 foot into the ground with at least a wheelbarrow of concrete around it.
    An Inverto Ultra LNB is a must, I got both a single and a quad, the single worked better as the neck is longer and it needed all of the elevation of the LNB although I'm going to modify the LNB bracket as I need a quad working on it.

It's so precise though, I've spent 5 or 6 hours in total at the alignment part of it, never mind the pole and wiring bit! It's well worth it in the end, I took a chance on it working and thankfully it's worked out! I'm getting 68% quality on the HD6 transponder now!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Could you give us a starting frequency (strongest)?
    Have a friend with one of those oldish ex-bookies dish, around 2 or 2.2 mtr so can test.

loughside wrote: »
    Could you give us a starting frequency (strongest)?
    Have a friend with one of those oldish ex-bookies dish, around 2 or 2.2 mtr so can test.

I used the FTA jsc channels as a guide,
    V
    3/4.

When I initially got the signal on my meter it read only 28-30% but with a lot of tweaking with the LNB and the LNB holder I got it up to 54% on the meter, barely a reading came through on the HD1-HD6 channels but once hooked up to the TM-5402 I got a 66-68% reading on all of the HD transponders, funnily enough though I can't get any of the +1 - +10 channels!

I currently have a sub that was working fine on hotbird, its due to expire at the end of the month. The HD1 & HD2 channels are clearing with it at the minute, I'm after purchasing a renewal for the full package on jsc cards for €120 so hopefully the signal is sent by the morning and I'll have full package of HD channels.

• Advertisement

Just check up here in donegal, 1.8 metre channel master, break up but watchable signal, all jsc channels 1,2,3,4,5,6 HD.

Advertisement