Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former FF TD applies to join Sinn Fein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Its a done deal, beyond "discussions".

And I agree with you, its a disgrace and should be left up to local cumainns to decide among themselves.

SF are not big on democracy, its a leadership driven party.

Shame on SF for taking people like Andrews who have done so much wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

Ah but I thought Sinn Fein were different from the mainstream parties...lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

So they're just like the rest in that respect.

Ask any of the TDs and senators recently booted out of their respective parties for voting against the whip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

Its a done deal, beyond "discussions".

And I agree with you, its a disgrace and should be left up to local cumainns to decide among themselves.

Yeah it should be left to the local cummain. I've no problem with him joining up but it really does seem like he's trying to guarentee himself a council seat at least.

SF are probably just looking at the fact that they'll definately get a seat in Pembroke South Dock and have a better chance in Dublin Bay South. He has a name in the area and he was narrowly defeated in 2011. I can't deny that advantage.

He won't the first to switch parties to SF this year. Two labour councillors in the midlands are planning on joining (one's applied already). There's also strong rumours about a Dublin Labour TD as well (though I'd say theyre just rumours).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

FF lite (SF) and FF are becoming more and more aligned as each day passes.

I can see a few more jumping ship and joining the latest populist party, in the hope of getting a seat in the next Dail. If SF do manage to get in, they will be the next PDs. FF claim that they would not go into power with SF but that could easily change when power comes within the grasp of FF, as we all know. FF lite would go into power with anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Ah but I thought Sinn Fein were different from the mainstream parties...lol

FF and ex FF types not fussy when it comes to getting into the Dail.

He won't like only getting to take home the average wage though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭GSF

He won't like only getting to take home the average wage though

On the plus side,the ink cartridge allowance is better

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

:eek:
    My sarcasm detector must be broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Politics for most politicans is a career not a service. Andrews is just trying to pro- long his career. The suits rule this Country and putting party tags on people is just a smoke screen for the elite running the country and making the mega bucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Get a real job you bloody parasite Andrews. I have nothing but contempt for career politicians (ie, most of them). No notion of public service, just feathering their own nests in politics. Politics should be noble, with noble people in it, not full of egotists and sh!te talkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

murphaph wrote: »
    Get a real job you bloody parasite Andrews. I have nothing but contempt for career politicians (ie, most of them). No notion of public service, just feathering their own nests in politics. Politics should be noble, with noble people in it, not full of egotists and sh!te talkers.

^
    This + 1000%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 jalan8984

crusher000 wrote: »
    Politics for most politicans is a career not a service. Andrews is just trying to pro- long his career. The suits rule this Country and putting party tags on people is just a smoke screen for the elite running the country and making the mega bucks.

Hardly feathering his nest now he'll be earning the average industrial wage if elected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

jalan8984 wrote: »
    Hardly feathering his nest now he'll be earning the average industrial wage if elected.

Ask any SF TD to show you their P60. They won't - because they cost the state the same as any other TD.

They give their money to the party, where there is an avenue to get it all back via 'expenses'. Big whoop-de-doo. That whole charade will probably come to an end soon now that SIPO have launched a formal investigation into the matter.
    COYW wrote: »
    FF lite would go into power with anyone.

I agree, you can see at the moment that they are altering their policies to ensure that they can be compatible with a future coalition partner.

However I think SF will end up going into power with FG before FF. The dropping of their wealth tax just this week, which has been central to SF policy for decades, is aimed at making the party more attractable to FG. They will do anything to get into power for 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

I agree, you can see at the moment that they are altering their policies to ensure that they can be compatible with a future coalition partner.

However I think SF will end up going into power with FG before FF. The dropping of their wealth tax just this week, which has been central to SF policy for decades, is aimed at making the party more attractable to FG. They will do anything to get into power for 2016.

I'm a former party member but there is absolutely no hope of FG and SF going into coalition. They're ideologically incompatible and they really hate each other.
    SF/FF would only happen if SF was the senior coalition party. Say what you want about the party but they're not stupid and they can takethe long view on things. They know well that junior coalition partners often wind up as little more than a mudguard for the senior party.

SF havn't ditched the wealth tax policy. Thats a matter for the Ard Fheis. They havn't included in their budget submission due to criticism from tax experts that it wasn't costed.
    There's a bit of a difference compared to your claim that they've dropped the policy.

Ask any SF TD to show you their P60. They won't - because they cost the state the same as any other TD.

They give their money to the party, where there is an avenue to get it all back via 'expenses'. Big whoop-de-doo. That whole charade will probably come to an end soon now that SIPO have launched a formal investigation into the matter.

They did not drop their wealth tax, they just did not include the revenue it would raise in their "adjustment" of 2.5 billion. This is because they cannot get it costed properly. Instead whatever revenue it raises is ringfenced for job creation and SFs "youth guarantee". Don't be a bare faced liar like your pals in FF.

http://www.anphoblacht.com/contents/23379

I'm a former party member but there is absolutely no hope of FG and SF going into coalition. They're ideologically incompatible and they really hate each other.
    SF/FF would only happen if SF was the senior coalition party. Say what you want about the party but they're not stupid and they can takethe long view on things. They know well that junior coalition partners often wind up as little more than a mudguard for the senior party.

SF havn't ditched the wealth tax policy. Thats a matter for the Ard Fheis. They havn't included in their budget submission due to criticism from tax experts that it wasn't costed.
    There's a bit of a difference compared to your claim that they've dropped the policy.

They have included it in their submission

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

They did not drop their wealth tax, they just did not include the revenue it would raise in their "adjustment" of 2.5 billion. This is because they cannot get it costed properly. Instead whatever revenue it raises is ringfenced for job creation and SFs "youth guarantee". Don't be a bare faced liar like your pals in FF.

I don't consider An Phoblacht, the SF propaganda literature, to be a reliable source.

You are correct in saying that the official line is that the tax has only been dropped for this budget submission, after it was exposed by a tax expert that SF were completely wrong about how much such a tax would raise. SF have said that they remain 'committed' to the idea of a wealth tax - but face the facts, it is not part of the SF budget submission. The budget submission is essentially the most important policy document published annually by a political party.

All the same, I expect it to be quietly dropped from SF policy from here onwards. I will bump this thread again next year when it does not feature in the 2015 SF budget submission. :)
    They have included it in their submission

So you have seen the submission before SF have even finished putting it together? You do realize it has not been published yet, right? Do you work for Sinn Féin or something? :confused:

You can't really claim a tax forms part of the budget submission if it is not included as a source to raise revenue. If you do that you are essentially saying that the tax is not workable, but you still like the idea in theory.

Right, so SFs newspaper is not a good source for SF policy. lol.

It will be in the submission, you'll see.

Right, so SFs newspaper is not a good source for SF policy. lol.

It will be in the submission, you'll see.

It is not exactly an impartial source. I wouldn't consider a FF newsletter to be impartial, I would find that somewhat naive to think that. lol.

Yes, we will see. If it is not included as a revenue raising measure, and is merely cited as something that SF would like to pursue, then that cannot be considered as being part of the submission.

Judging by the reaction, there must be holy war going on in SF at the moment after Pearse and his advisers tried to drop the tax! I guess that would explain the backtracking and Pearse coming out and saying that he is still in favor of wealth tax, even though it won't be included as a revenue raising measure in his own budget submission.

• Advertisement

It is not exactly an impartial source. I wouldn't consider a FF newsletter to be impartial, I would find that somewhat naive to think that. lol.

Yes, we will see. If it is not included as a revenue raising measure, and is merely cited as something that SF would like to pursue, then that cannot be considered as being part of the submission.

Judging by the reaction, there must be holy war going on in SF at the moment after Pearse and his advisers tried to drop the tax! I guess that would explain the backtracking and Pearse coming out and saying that he is still in favor of wealth tax, even though it won't be included as a revenue raising measure in his own budget submission.
    lol, look at you backtrack.
    It is included as a revenue raising measure, the money raised is for job creation.

If you really dont think it will be in the submission, how about you put your money were your mouth is? 50 quid to a charity the winner nominates - or are you... other things... besides a liar?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

lol, look at you backtrack.
    It is included as a revenue raising measure, the money raised is for job creation.

If you really dont think it will be in the submission, how about you put your money were your mouth is? 50 quid to a charity the winner nominates - or are you... other things... besides a liar?

No objections to a combative style of posting, but drop the personal stuff - and if you haven't read the Forum Charter, please do so before hitting Reply.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

They "really hated" the DUP too, yet - surprise, surprise - there they are "in coalition" with them.

Once SF could get Ministerial salaries out of Stormont, a lot of "principles" went out the window.

Even the most brass-necked gombeen politician in the Republic would blush if they did something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

View wrote: »
    They "really hated" the DUP too, yet - surprise, surprise - there they are "in coalition" with them.

Once SF could get Ministerial salaries out of Stormont, a lot of "principles" went out the window.

Lol.

Yeah, the whole peace process thing probably escaped you I presume :cool:

Also, it works both ways. What was the DUPs reason to go into the coalition with SF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

They give their money to the party, where there is an avenue to get it all back via 'expenses'. Big whoop-de-doo.
    Well, yeah... because the fact stated stands.

SF TDs are paid in accordance with the current average industrial wage. Their net incomes are theirs to do as they wish.

The key point is that they get to to experience life more similarly to an AIW worker than any other TDs.

No it doesn't. SF TD's are paid the same by the Oireachtas as any other TD. That is fact, no matter what way you try and spin it.

The key point is that they get to to experience life more similarly to an AIW worker than any other TDs.

Lol, can the average AIW worker afford to live in a mansion like Mary Lou McDonald or own multiple homes like Gerry Adams?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Podgerz

Deluded; not a hope will this happen. I will bet you any amount FG and SF will not go into power together. The vein of republicanism would band SF and FF together, name me anything that FG and SF would agree on. Your afore mentioned wealth tax has not been dropped by SF as stated here

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

No it doesn't. SF TD's are paid the same by the Oireachtas as any other TD. That is fact, no matter what way you try and spin it.

Lol, can the average AIW worker afford to live in a mansion like Mary Lou McDonald or own multiple homes like Gerry Adams?

:rolleyes:

Does Adams still have that house in Donegal?

Can really stretch that AIW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

View wrote: »

Even the most brass-necked gombeen politician in the Republic would blush if they did something like that.

Their anti-cronyism stance disappeared too, with the hiring of their IRA terrorist buddies into highly paid roles. Recall all the SF dummy spitting that took place when the SPAD bill came to pass.

SF TDs are paid in accordance with the current average industrial wage. Their net incomes are theirs to do as they wish.

I'm disappointed to see you falling for this dross, Cody. SF politicians cost the tax payer just as much as every other politician, probably more considering their expense claims which tend to be on the high side.
    nuac wrote: »
    Does Adams still have that house in Donegal?

Can really stretch that AIW?

He has a place in Donegal, Belfast and Dublin, I'd expect. All on the AIW. :rolleyes:

SF claims that people on the AIW can't afford to pay the property tax, yet Adams can afford to pay it on multiple properties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

COYW wrote: »
    I'm disappointed to see you falling for this dross, Cody. SF politicians cost the tax payer just as much as every other politician, probably more considering their expense claims which tend to be on the high side.
    Who has actually claimed that SF politicians cost the tax payer less than every other politician?

I said that SF politicians can appreciate life on the AIW more closely than other politicians. I don't particularly care whether the balance of their income goes to the old cats home or Crumlin quite honestly. The question for me is whether they have a closer awareness of normal workers' real life financial struggles than others.

Advertisement