Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo of the Week #167 27.07.13-02.08.13

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

When it boils down to it really don't give a shíte if I was being perfectly honest to myself. Likes, thanks and other blah... it's doesn't really matter other than maybe an ego boost or whatever.

I have an opinion on what matters to me, what photograph should be from my viewpoint and that's what I stand by and that's what I practice. Yeah, I've done the fake sky and HDR when I was a naïve young lad.. but you live, you learn, you change your tastes and you move on.

If you want to fly an F-16 through you kitchen in photoshop who am I to stop you? But if you think it's a genuine photograph the only person you're fooling is yourself. You can call it 'art' if you want.. but if you tell me it's a photograph I will argue with you a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

If you get POTW or an HM with this image there will be hell to pay.
    Thats why I voted twice.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

OldGoat wrote: »
    If you get POTW or an HM with this image there will be hell to pay.
    Thats why I voted twice.

jaysis on a bike, 29 likes! i'm regretting not putting the moon in there also now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

jaysis on a bike, 29 likes! i'm regretting not putting the moon in there also now :P

And Carton House

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The second I saw that photo I thought "Well this is obviously an experiment for the photoshop debate" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

And Carton House

there's room for a homeless man on the right too. Or light trails from a bike ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

It needs more swans. HDR swans at that.

yea, i was saying to daire on pix.ie that i tried to get it to look more HDR like, but i couldn't quite get it right. i don't really know how people do the HDR thing on a single exposure lol

And Carton House

hahahaha, I hadn't even seen this contribution from keps when I posted the above

hahahaha, I hadn't even seen this contribution from keps when I posted the above

it's hilarious. we should put it in a separate thread, and allow people to keep adding objects to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

motion blur the bottom of Carton House into the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Wow! Over 100 comments, mainly on the Moon photo. Debate is good.
    Imagine if the next photo of the week contains a HDR photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

How much of the tweaking you do in photoshop comes directly from techniques used in the dark room?

Brightness, Contrast, saturation, hue, saturation, blow up, crop and a bunch of other "effects" or "Post processing" was done in dark rooms manually for years.

But now as its done on a pc, its considered abhorrent to the art of photography, when its always been there, the tools to apply it have just changed.

Do a bit of research and see how much you could actually do in a dark room. sure it was more manual and took more work, but the results were the same.

So to say if I open a photo in PS and adjust the contrast, saturation and crop is "shopping" and invalidating my photo is just rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    How much of the tweaking you do in photoshop comes directly from techniques used in the dark room?

Brightness, Contrast, saturation, hue, saturation, blow up, crop and a bunch of other "effects" or "Post processing" was done in dark rooms manually for years.

But now as its done on a pc, its considered abhorrent to the art of photography, when its always been there, the tools to apply it have just changed.

Do a bit of research and see how much you could actually do in a dark room. sure it was more manual and took more work, but the results were the same.

So to say if I open a photo in PS and adjust the contrast, saturation and crop is "shopping" and invalidating my photo is just rubbish.

I think most people would agree with you, however, adding objects to photographs, such as moons or the swans above (super funny btw) is where I for one would draw the line.

Loire.

Well, lucky no-one is saying anything of the sort then, isn't it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Well, lucky no-one is saying anything of the sort then, isn't it :rolleyes:

its been said a few times in this thread actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

its been said a few times in this thread actually.

It was mainly me who mentioned the saturation and contrast, and I did not say it invalidated the photo. I asked where the line was drawn, since all of these things can create scenes that are every bit as impossible as the one with the giant moon. I also said that it was too difficult to say where that line should be drawn.

It's something to consider, not a criticism or invalidation of every photo you're ever altered in photoshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭secman

Had a press tog in the club last week, he shoots gigs mainly, low light stuff, only shoots jpeg and never uses flash, ramps up iso to 3200. Has won a couple of awards and interestingly, their shots are disqualified if any PS or alteration what so ever is used on their shots. Only cropping is allowed.

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

How often is the POTW posted ?
    edit - sorry, sounded like i was complaining , I'm certainly not, Its a great motivator for photos !!!

Thanks dirtyghettokid !!

the_monkey wrote: »
    How often is the POTW posted ?

not weekly like it should ...

are you giving out?

i haven't had much time to do it lately, and there isn't really other mods on to do it very often. i was just about to do it now. i am three weeks behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bldwalsh

are you giving out?

i haven't had much time to do it lately, and there isn't really other mods on to do it very often. i was just about to do it now. i am three weeks behind.

Just like to say thanks for doing it dirtyghettokid. I for one love coming on here every week to see who got the POTW and to see i'm i've gotten a mention. THanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Sorry, im not giving out ... i see my post looks that way, i should have re-phrased it .... :P

Advertisement