Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All-Ireland Football Final Maigh Eo vs Baile Átha Cliath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Draw
    I think the hip hip hooray thing has become ironic and condescending. More surprised none of the interweb "neutrals" has taken the Dublin captain to task for nor using the cupla focal.
    One week anniversary. Will watch the match again. Sweet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I think they should get rid of the speech from the winning captain altogether.
    It's just cringe - straight from Fr. Ted.
    I'd like to thank Mattie for making the sandwiches etc.

Just go up and collect the cup. Raise it high. Lap of honour and off home.
    I do not care who did the stat analysis either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I can tell you now that Mattie doesn't appreciate your attitude.

Making sangiches all year he was

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Draw
    I didn't think they'd be allowed white bread anymore with all this focus on diets and performance :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Matties a qualified newtrishionist!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Draw
    I quite like the captain's speech. It shows the emotion and passion and what it means to the team.

It would not translate well into other sports (where they are paid professionals with little/no true connection to the club) I think. I'm not saying that footballers, rugby players, etc. do not love their teams. I'm sure they do. But there's no way they could have as deep a connection to the county, the club, the parish. This is what the GAA is all about. Captain's speeches for amateur football clubs and so on are also fine, because they DO possess a connection to their club (it's probably their local one).

But for the biggest stages, for the absolute pinnacle of the game, the speeches would only work for the GAA. I think they are a fine feature of the game and while yeah, some of them can be a bit OTT at times, they are something I find endearing and something that can live on long in the memory.

Though that said, I'm sure Bryan Cullen will forever regret "See ya in Coppers!!!" for the rest of his days... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I'd like to see them bring in a protocol where the only thanking done is to
    The players,
    the managers and selectors
    the opposing team
    the sponsors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Dublin
    Nice to see the winning captain call three cheers for the opponents in the hurling today, as is tradition.

Cluxton should take note that that's how it's done
    Thats a load of bollix in fairness. If anything Cluxton more than acknowledged Mayo enough at the end of his speech, not patronising us by doing that cliche. Solid speech for a lad who obviously doesn't like the limelight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Draw
    robbiezero wrote: »
    I'd like to see them bring in a protocol where the only thanking done is to
    The players,
    the managers and selectors
    the opposing team
    the sponsors.

The fans ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

DoctaDee wrote: »
    The fans ?

Oops forgot them, Yes.
    With the size of backroom teams now, it destroys the speeches thanking everyone of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

I think they should get rid of the speech from the winning captain altogether.
    It's just cringe - straight from Fr. Ted.
    I'd like to thank Mattie for making the sandwiches etc.

Just go up and collect the cup. Raise it high. Lap of honour and off home.
    I do not care who did the stat analysis either.

Keep the speech, bring back the pitch invasion, get rid of the tinsel, the smoke and the euro-pop blasting over the speakers.

And get fooking rid of Hecthaaar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Draw
    robbiezero wrote: »
    Oops forgot them, Yes.
    With the size of backroom teams now, it destroys the speeches thanking everyone of them.

Yeah agreed .. Cluxton's speech was grand imo .. thanked Jim & backroom team as a unit .. contrast that with Pat Donnellans speech on Saturday .. once he went down the road of naming the backroom individually he was creating the risk of omitting someone ... hence the sandwich lady and the lad that undoes the knot in the football boots getting a mention ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭El Viz

Draw
    As the dust settles and the voice recovers I'm feeling all the joys of Sunday. Getting over the line was the main aim and we did it, despite a poor enough game I couldn't be happier.

One thing I'd really like to point out is my experience of the many Mayo supporters I met Sunday after the match and later that night in the City pubs. Truly classic bunch of people passionate beyond belief for their county and after all the hard knocks they've taken they remain such loyal, dignified and gracious supporters. I have huge admiration for that, especially when I look over and hear some of the pure shíte talk out of a lot of 'neutrals' it's remarkable how even in bitter disappointment the Mayo folk keep such class about them.

True GAA people and I've no doubt your day will soon come and how you all deserve it.

I'd have to second this. Probably the nicest bunch of supporters I've come across in a long time.

I was on my own in Croker and managed to chat to a half dozen Mayo lads before during and after.
    Great banter, lots of slagging and reminiscing of AI's of past.

It honestly made winning Sam a little bittersweet for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Draw
    Don't mean to be moaning, Cluxton is fantastic and the better team won.

Just thought it was bad form and have never seen it happen before.

I would hate to be watching a player lift a trophy and ask for 3 cheers because I lost . I would rather be thanked for giving them a good game and being told I can see you back here again in 12 months because you are part of a good team . I wouldn't want people cheering / hip hip hooray because I lost at the final hurdle .

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Draw
    I would hate to be watching a player lift a trophy and ask for 3 cheers because I lost . I would rather be thanked for giving them a good game and being told I can see you back here again in 12 months because you are part of a good team . I wouldn't want people cheering / hip hip hooray because I lost at the final hurdle .

Exactly, plus if the posters complaining about his lack of hip-hips bothered to watch back after the final whistle, they would see Cluxton personally and genuinely telling Aidan O'Shea and co. to keep the head up. I think players appreciate that one to one gesture more than that lousy hip hip hooray crap.

Like I said above, some people will find anything to moan about when there is nothing else.

Exactly, plus if the posters complaining about his lack of hip-hips bothered to watch back after the final whistle, they would see Cluxton personally and genuinely telling Aidan O'Shea and co. to keep the head up. I think players appreciate that one to one gesture more than that lousy hip hip hooray crap.

Like I said above, some people will find anything to moan about when there is nothing else.

Nobody from Mayo can moan about the ref, cluxton or anything else, our own players and manager threw it away all by themselves.
    Don't want cheers , want Sam Maguire!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Dublin
    he should have given three cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Draw
    Nobody from Mayo can moan about the ref, cluxton or anything else, our own players and manager threw it away all by themselves.
    Don't want cheers , want Sam Maguire!!!

Oh I know appreciate that my response is mainly to people nit picking over a ridiculous cheer. As I posted earlier Mayo fans have been nothing but gracious and dignified despite the raw disappointment, it's these so called 'neutrals' doing all the whinging.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Draw

Well he didn't, I seriously doubt a player wants to hear that, he showed respect Mayo received applause, what they really wanted was Sam and possibly would have wanted him to shove his hip hips

I guarantee you that the next time these teams play the Mayo management team won't say '' remember last time lads, they never even gave us a hip hip ''

• Advertisement

Dublin
    Stoner wrote: »
    I guarantee you that the next time these teams play the Mayo management team won't say '' remember last time lads, they never even gave us a hip hip ''

Well they might though, you'd never know. He definitely should have said it.

Better team won on the day though

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Draw
    Well they might though, you'd never know. He definitely should have said it.

Better team won on the day though
    Lol Ok man, we'll just have to agree to disagree on it. Best of luck next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

We could give Mayo three cheers right now. In this thread.

HIP HIP ....

Dublin
    Hooray!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/eamonn-sweeney-gutsy-dubs-deserve-better-29618498.html
    Eamonn Sweeney: Gutsy Dubs deserve better
    Hold the Back Page

EAMONN SWEENEY – 29 SEPTEMBER 2013

Why all this begrudgery towards Dublin? Ever since the final whistle blew at Croke Park this day last week there's been a steady whine in the background as various nitpickers set about trying to devalue the All-Ireland-winning campaign of Jim Gavin's team.

Apparently, the Dubs' victory is tarnished because they're a cynical team, because Joe McQuillan gave Cillian O'Connor wrong information about the amount of time left in the game, because they should have taken off Rory O'Carroll when he was concussed, because it was a bad final, because they should be winning it anyway because of their awesome underage dominance, because they have so many people to pick from, because they have home advantage at Croke Park and because, well, just because.

There has been a marked reluctance to concede that the current All-Ireland champions have proved over the course of the year to be an outstanding team. They didn't just win the league and championship double, they went through the season suffering just one defeat in 13 competitive games. Their league final was one of the finest of modern times, their All-Ireland semi-final against Kerry perhaps the greatest game of all time. All this was achieved by flaunting the conventional wisdom that negativity is the way to success in Gaelic football.

And if their performance against Mayo was not their best, there was still much to admire. Playing a team that had swept aside all opposition, the Dubs hung in there against the kind of first-half onslaught which had broken other teams before taking control in the second half. That they held on to their lead with only 13 fit players speaks volumes about the team's character.

Yet their reward for the scintillating football they produced all year and the fighting spirit they showed on Sunday is to have their bona fides questioned as attempts are made to put an asterisk beside this victory. OK, it wasn't a classic final. But how many of them are classics? This year's happened to be better than last year's when a weaker Mayo team handed Donegal two goals in the first five minutes and spent the day playing catch-up in a lacklustre game which didn't even have the virtue of suspense.

Yet there wasn't a word said about the shortcomings of that final or any implication that Donegal were anything other than a truly great team that had forever changed the way the game of football is played. Judging by last week's reaction, there is a world of difference between last year's 2-11 to 0-13 final and this year's 2-12 to 1-14 final. Well, it's obvious just from the scorelines, isn't it?

In fact, Dublin and Donegal had similar paths to glory. Donegal got there by beating Kerry by two points, Cork by two points and Mayo by four points. Dublin got there by beating Cork by five points, Kerry by seven points and Mayo by one point. The difference is that Dublin scored 6-46 in those three games while Donegal mustered just 3-39 because the Dubs played the kind of open attacking football which was supposed to be a thing of the past. Since the quarter-finals were introduced only Kerry in 2006 have scored more in their final three games.

Yet it's perhaps that very positivity which has led to the begrudgery of the last week. Experts who'd assured us ad nauseam that the Ulster/Donegal model was the only way to play the game didn't like to be proved wrong. So they sought to rescue themselves by pretending that deep down Dublin are really a negative team after all. Hence the enormous mileage being extracted from a couple of tackles by Kevin McMenamon and Dean Rock and the pretence that this revealed the true soul of the Dubs instead of being a panicky reaction by a team at the end of an arduous season.

What's the story with all this hand-wringing anyway? Is the phenomenon of players fouling other players unique to Gaelic football? If so, how come Anthony Nash ended up getting a penalty and two 21-yard frees in the hurling final against Clare? Because Clare defenders fouled Cork forwards who looked like they might score. Clare are not a cynical team. These things happen in team sport but only in Gaelic football are they hyped up to be some kind of existential threat by a pack of Holy Joes.

Poor old Jim Gavin. His basic problem is that he's neither a bull****ter nor a boaster. Jim McGuinness's willingness to don the messiah's mantle was much more to the media's liking. Pursuing petty gripes against Declan Bogue and Kevin Cassidy, entering the impossibly glamorous world of Scottish Premier League football or insisting that the entire Donegal club calendar be changed to suit his whim, Donegal Jim was the very model of a Celtic Tiger Man of Destiny. The Tiger is gone and the bankers and developers who originally created the MOD model are discredited but in sports journalism the notion that to be successful you need to act like a cross between Kirk Douglas playing Vincent Van Gogh and Michael Douglas playing Gordon Gekko will never get old.

But football isn't actually The Apprentice and Dublin Jim just isn't like that. He sent his teams out to play good football, succeeded and seemed somewhat bemused to be hauled over the coals after the final. He has been short-changed by the suggestion that there is something inevitable about Dublin's victories given the county's 'awesome under-age strength'. Especially considering that Exhibit A is two All-Ireland under 21 football victories which Gavin steered the teams to as manager. Three out of the last ten Leinster minor football titles does not a powerhouse make. Not to mention that this year's under 21 campaigns resulted in Ciarán Kilkenny becoming perhaps the first Dublin player in history to be eliminated from the championships by Longford and Carlow in the same year. Nothing's been handed on a plate to Jim Gavin.

What he has going for him is a team with a lot of guts. So much guts that on Sunday, 13 Dublin players became the first footballers in history to win two All-Ireland finals by a single point. This may be a coincidence though it's worth noting that Jim Gavin won his All-Ireland medal by a point too. But it's worth celebrating. It's worth too celebrating the perennial competence of Stephen Cluxton. Minutes after the otherwise excellent Rob Hennelly had hesitated under a high ball and let Bernard Brogan score the match-turning goal, Cluxton came for the same kind of high ball and made it.

Late in the game he planted a free from a position where Hennelly and Cillian O'Connor had missed earlier. He does so much so right so often that we tend to just wave it away as Cluxton doing his thing. But if you took him off that Dublin team they'd be shy two All-Irelands.

It's worth celebrating Michael Darragh Macauley who, despite a running style which makes him look like he's trying to tackle himself, will be a worthy Footballer of the Year. And also Cian O'Sullivan, the epitome of an unsung hero, pressed into midfield service where he performed superbly and provided cameos like the pass for the goal against Cork and a storming run through the heart of a then rampant Kerry which almost resulted in one of the great solo goals of the year. To top it all, he did firefighting duty at centre half-back in the semi and corner-back in the final. The underestimation of O'Sullivan meant Dublin were predicted to lose midfield in their big three games, Instead they won it on each occasion.

Spare a thought too for the undervalued James McCarthy whose loping runs helped turn the tide when things got rocky against Kerry and Mayo. And for Bernard Brogan, right up there with Colm Cooper as the most skilful player we have, who in the final two games came good when he was needed.

Perhaps the ultimate example of how Dublin have changed in recent years came when Brogan scored his second goal. Because the player who cut through the Mayo defence was Denis Bastick, whose, ahem, unreconstructed attitude to the game made him something of a joke figure when he first appeared. Yet the new model Bastick was the man who had the vision to play the perfectly flighted pass to Brogan which pretty much sealed the deal for Dublin.

It's been a great year for football. If you can't see that I'm afraid there's no hope for you.

backpage@independent.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/have-your-say-29618534.html
    Sunday Independent

29 SEPTEMBER 2013

Final traditions are flung aside

I woke up last Sunday in great form and looking forward with pride to the football All-Ireland final. What disappointment, horror and pity at the players' behaviour throughout the game.

Sport reflects society and what I witnessed was nasty, unsporting and disrespectful to all GAA people past and present. In my opinion, the parade of the players behind the band before the game is so unique that it should have unesco status and for the Dublin team to prematurely break away halfway around the stadium was beyond belief. People died for this right.

Then the way the last ten minutes were played out by Dublin was a disgrace. The days of a late rally, the late Seamus Darby goal, are over. Are we the better for that? I don't think so.

Croke Park should award the Cup to whatever team is winning at 60 minutes. Seán Cavanagh, all is forgiven. Add to this no 'cúpla focal' and no sporting three cheers by the winning captain to the defeated county and the greatest day in the Irish sporting calendar was ruined for me. Tradition can be hard-earned and easily forgotten. On the folklore of Ring shouldered high by the victors Wexford, the brave Kerry team caught on the five-in-a-row finish line, gracious. I rested only to awake not to a whining losing manager but a whining winning one! The crassness and dullness. Oh the days of O'Connell rowing to Valentia, cupless, or John Donnelly's solo runs or JBM's overhead strike, oh the days of greatness.

Name and address with Editor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Draw

What a whingey, whiny, moany, sexually frustrated, busy-bodying, doesn't-have-a-clue tosspot with nothing better to do. My god, where did I leave me fúckin violin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

DazMarz wrote: »
    What a whingey, whiny, moany, sexually frustrated, busy-bodying, doesn't-have-a-clue tosspot with nothing better to do. My god, where did I leave me fúckin violin.

But it's rants like his that make Dublin's All Ireland's all the better. I love it. It shows we've really pissed them off. All the sweeter. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Dublin
    Personally, were I on a losing team and the winning captain started saying 'Hip, hip...' like it was my 5th birthday, I'd feel like strangling him. Cluxton's approach was far better and more respectful in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Draw

Why? It's really patronising imo. Only thing about AI Final day I hate.
    DazMarz wrote: »

Wow, pathetic. I suppose Dublin should have given up after 60 mins vs Kerry this year and 2011 then so?

Advertisement