Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All-Ireland Football Final Maigh Eo vs Baile Átha Cliath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Draw
    Stoner wrote: »
    Mental strength is a good one alright. I'm coming out of the blue here, but I think there is a great deal of good will out there for Mayo, they are like most of their neighbours, hard to hate.
    Even though Mayo have beaten Dublin twice recently in the championship, I honestly don't think that Dublin will be as motivated to beat them as they would kerry, Donegal, meath, Tyrone kildare.
    It might sound stupid but Dublin need to build some kind of rivalry with Mayo in their heads, I guarantee that this team holds nothing against Mayo for recent losses, they were blamed on Dublins mental weakness and last year on the hangover from being champions.

For example IMHO Dublin were motivated against Kerry on Sunday off the back of 2011
    It was like confirmation of the 2011 win for me anyway due to all the bickering in 2011.

Dublin hold nothing against Mayo indeed I don't think they hate us as much as other counties do either, but Mayo are motivated savagely for Sam. It might tell on the day.

Do you not think beating Mayo to win an All-Ireland title is motivation enough? I don't think there is a bigger motivation on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I'd never accuse someone of misplaced optimism, but I'd ask that you consider the fact that Dublin have put a combined 4-30 on Mayo in the 2 games this year. The NFL S/F Dublin scored 2-14 from play with 2 frees .. Mayo on the otherhand scored 7 points from play with 9 frees. Both matches (league yeah I know) Mayo started with Boyle/Vaughan & Keegan in HB line. So you'd understand if an eyebrow or 2 was raised with talk of Mayo dominating this and dominating that, and Dublin never having played against the likes of Mayo.

To my mind there will be a greater focus on the questions Dublin will pose to Mayo. Mayo lads are chomping at the bit to crank up this thread ... we need a little more time to fully recover from Sunday ;)

I think that a teams league performance is a good indicator of where that team are and where they are going, however I think that individual game results in the league have no baring on what will happen in the summer, and do imply that they do is just silly

I have always believed that Mayo had two goals for the 2013 league, try out a few players\systems and stay in Div 1.
    The fact that they got to a SF was almost by accident, they had to win their last game to stay up, and by winning the last game they got into the top 4.
    In the SF v Dublin they gave away two gaols in the first half and when they failed to get any closer in the early part of the second half then just emptied the bench to give guys a run in Croke Park, apart for the concession of two gaols I would read zero into that result.

I would read less into the first result as an indicator of what will happen in a few weeks

Have you considered who many more training session under Buckley this team has had since those games ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Chemical Burn ReReg

Dublin
    I love it when the Dubs get so close but fall at the last. Mind you, I don't like seeing Kerry dominate either.

Hopefully Mayo can make up for last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Dublin
    IMHO it would very foolish to ignore out of hand the result of the two league games between the counties this year.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Draw
    I love it when the Dubs get so close but fall at the last. .

Who hurt you?

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    IMHO it would very foolish to ignore out of hand the result of the two league games between the counties this year.

I agree they cannot be ignored, but they are a poor indicator of what may happen 6 months later also
    From a Mayo perspective I'd hope that they would have worked on the areas that failed them those two days over the past 6 months

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

I love it when the Dubs get so close but fall at the last. Mind you, I don't like seeing Kerry dominate either.

Hopefully Mayo can make up for last year.

Jesus that's almost reasonable point of view.
    You're either not the real Chemical Burn.

Or else he's getting very mediocre.

Draw
    Have to say, if it was anyone other than dublin in the final with them, I'd be rooting for mayo myself. I reckon it will be the while country behind them come throw-in.

As it stands, Dublin by 2 points is my prediction.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Draw
    Do you not think beating Mayo to win an All-Ireland title is motivation enough? I don't think there is a bigger motivation on the day.
    Well I think that all things being equal, Mayo are more motivated to win it as none of their players have experienced it, and there is little else there between the counties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

I don't think the actual outcome or final result of either league or championship matches between the two in recent years will have a big effect. These are two motivated and confident sides.

The patterns of play, strenghts and weaknesses, tactical exchanges and so on of their recent encounters will form one small part of the preperation and planning for both teams.

Hitting top form and who can get big individual performances for both sides will decide this.
    I find it a big worry that after the heights of the Donegal game Mayo then got a bad game out of their system in the semi. On the plus side Dublin have improved in small increments. And may have uncovered some decisive weaknesses in defense just in the nick of time. This game will surely be on a knife edge and would take a brave man to call it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,408 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Dublin
    Goals win games and i think its goals that will decide it.

The dublin defence is opened up a little easier, dublin are not great the kickouts if the short one is not on.

mayo forwards not as stong as dublin.

Anything could happen and one injury , red card or mistake could decide it all.

When is the ref going to be announced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 The Rodent

Dublin
    Mayo man here. Missing a fully fit Cillian O'Connor has swung this in the Dubs favour. Even if he plays his effect will be diminished. He is one of the few unerring forwards we have.

That tipping of the balance alone could be enough to swing it the Dubs way. I dont like the Dubs defence. They can be wide open. But i am not sure that without O'Connor can Mayo match the 15-18 points the dubs are likely to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Draw
    ColeTrain wrote: »
    You could say the same about Mayo's performance against Donegal.

If both teams bring their A-game then we're in for some showdown.

Donegal were very poor against Mayo though some of their defending was U-16 stuff and they had given up before half time much like Galway,Roscommon against Mayo. I didn't rate Mayo as highly as should have at the start of the year and i agree with above that James Horan has instilled an incredible mental fortitude and hunger into them something that hasn't been seen in Mayo side before.

On Sunday last we saw two top sides on form they went toe to toe for close to 70 minutes when it came to the crunch Dublin got the important scores to win it.
    There is something different about Dublin under Jim Gavin in the past they would have lost a tight game like that and that win will give them a massive boost going into the final. Dublin 1st half defending will be concern for them however Mayo don't don't possess a Cooper in their forward line.

The Dubs will be well reminded of the defeats to Mayo in 2006,2012 and they will all know there is no better place for revenge than in All Ireland final.

Dublin by 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Dublin
    Donegal were very poor against Mayo though some of their defending was U-16 stuff and they had given up before half time much like Galway,Roscommon against Mayo. I didn't rate Mayo as highly as should have at the start of the year and i agree with above that James Horan has instilled an incredible mental fortitude and hunger into them something that hasn't been seen in Mayo side before.

On Sunday last we saw two top sides on form they went toe to toe for close to 70 minutes when it came to the crunch Dublin got the important scores to win it.
    There is something different about Dublin under Jim Gavin in the past they would have lost a tight game like that and that win will give them a massive boost going into the final. Dublin 1st half defending will be concern for them however Mayo don't don't possess a Cooper in their forward line.

The Dubs will be well reminded of the defeats to Mayo in 2006,2012 and they will all know there is no better place for revenge than in All Ireland final.

Dublin by 4.

Donegal won the thing outright last year. You can't just dismiss them like you've done there. Mayo have to take credit for dismantling them the way that they did. It was probably the most complete performance I've ever seen from a Mayo team. Galway and Roscommon gave up at half-time because they were put to the sword early and not allowed to build up any momentum. Any team that can do that to the opposition continuously, in the Championship, is doing something right.

Also, how do you make out that Kerry are a "top in-form side". Sure they're definitely in the top 5 in the country on ability but where was their test before Sunday? They were hardly in-form. Their only real test was Cork and they have a rebuilding job to do.

Mayo don't have a Cooper but this Mayo team is not built on one player. They are a unit nowdays, no Ciaran Mc or Micheal Jackson. There is a multitude of scorers in the side, from Lee Keegan to Freeman to the corner back Chris Barrett - I much prefer it that way.

As for your last point well you can get revenge out of your head. It won't be a factor because it will be cancelled out by Mayo being fired up for this one. It's an All-Ireland final, no team will need motivation to win it.

I expect a fascinating game but can't call it. I expect Mayo to give a performance that will reflect their previous games. Do that and we're in with a good shout.

Draw
    Donegal won the thing outright last year. You can't just dismiss them like you've done there. Mayo have to take credit for dismantling them the way that they did. It was probably the most complete performance I've ever seen from a Mayo team. Galway and Roscommon gave up at half-time because they were put to the sword early and not allowed to build up any momentum. Any team that can do that to the opposition continuously, in the Championship, is doing something right.

Also, how do you make out that Kerry are a "top in-form side". Sure they're definitely in the top 5 in the country on ability but where was their test before Sunday? They were hardly in-form. Their only real test was Cork and they have a rebuilding job to do.

Mayo don't have a Cooper but this Mayo team is not built on one player. They are a unit nowdays, no Ciaran Mc or Micheal Jackson. There is a multitude of scorers in the side, from Lee Keegan to Freeman to the corner back Chris Barrett - I much prefer it that way.

As for your last point well you can get revenge out of your head. It won't be a factor because it will be cancelled out by Mayo being fired up for this one. It's an All-Ireland final, no team will need motivation to win it.

I expect a fascinating game but can't call it. I expect Mayo to give a performance that will reflect their previous games. Do that and we're in with a good shout.

In all fairness Donegal looked a shadow of the team Mayo played last year. They are the same players on both teams so Donegal are not that bad they were just not clicking this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Draw

1) Donegal 2012 and Donegal 2013 were like chalk and cheese. The difference was for all to see in Ulster final when they lost to Monaghan side who were playing Div 3 football this autumn and they only managed 6 points in 70 minutes in that game. The passion,drive and desire to succeed from last year was long gone. Watch back that quarter final and try to tell me that Donegals defending wasn't U-16 stuff? and they certainly didn't win the All Ireland defending like that.

2) Mayo did put the games to bed early however the performances on the day from Roscommon,Galway also has to taken into account for example they gave a much better account of themselves against Cork and Tyrone.

2) Like Dublin the test came against Cork and both scored 1-16 against them. Last Sunday both played very well or like i said on form, yes you could say some of the defending wasn't the best but attacking football was the real winner. It's rebuilding job for Kerry now no doubt and Cork under new management will probably overtake them in Munster.

3) Most of the top teams nowadays have good spread of scorers, Kerry aren't built on one player either however if Mayo had player like Cooper in their forward line i would fancy them instead of Dublin in this final.

4) It's not so much motivation but those past results will focus Dublin more than ever. I'm sure both will be fired up for this one like you said it is All Ireland final.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

I think that a teams league performance is a good indicator of where that team are and where they are going, however I think that individual game results in the league have no baring on what will happen in the summer, and do imply that they do is just silly

What gives me greater hope as a Dublin supporter is what happened last year in the semi final. I keep hearing Mayo won't wilt like Kerry did. Yet last year Dublin played football for 15 minutes and took them to the cleaners in the last quarter. They were out on their feet by the end. Have they improved? Maybe but arguably Dublin have greater legs this year too. I can see Dublin winning it in the last 10 minutes if its tight.

Draw
    corny wrote: »
    Maybe but arguably Dublin have greater legs this year too. I can see Dublin winning it in the last 10 minutes if its tight.

I don't see a winner here at all in the fitness battle. I haven't heard or read anything either to suggest that Horans team are not the fittest or at least as fit as any other team in the country.

Draw
    Btw is C O'Connor this year's Andy Moran?

I'd like to add that if Dublin had Alan Brogan the 2011 footballer of the year fit then I think they would beat Mayo even if Mayo had C O'Connor.

Sadly this is not the case, so Mayo will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Draw
    3 out of the 4 All-Ireland semi-finalists were also National League semi-finalists and 6 of the 8 quarter finalists were Division 1 teams in 2013. The league form and results cannot be dismissed out of hand and are in my view usually a good indicator. That is not to say that because Dublin beat Mayo easily enough twice already this year that they will win but Dublin have been beaten only once in league or championship whereas Mayo have been beaten 5 times.

Some might say that's only the league and it doesn't count but Dublin have also faced tougher opposition reaching the All-Ireland Final than Mayo. In reality Dublin dominated Cork totally and if a few of their 6 or 7 good goal chances found the back of the net then the score line might have been similar to Mayo- Donegal. I do not want to take anything away from Mayo as they have been playing well all year and look like a very serious team with serious metal but the demolition of Donegal should not be over emphasised. Donegal were relegated in the league and have been on a serious downward trajectory ever since. I mean scraping through against a weak enough Down team and getting a roasting by no-hopers such as Monaghan showed that the Donegal team was finished. In fact I was hoping Dublin would draw either Cavan or Donegal in the Quarters as either was really just making up the numbers. You might say Donegal were All-Ireland champions and that is true but they were gone as a team this year and it had been clear from early on that they were a team in terminal decline.

Overall the final will be fascinating and it is very hard to call between two serious teams but both my heart and head say Dublin on the basis of their form to date this year, I hope they will have just a little too much in the tank for Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Draw
    The more I think about it the more I think Mayo will blow it.

corny wrote: »
    What gives me greater hope as a Dublin supporter is what happened last year in the semi final. I keep hearing Mayo won't wilt like Kerry did. Yet last year Dublin played football for 15 minutes and took them to the cleaners in the last quarter. They were out on their feet by the end. Have they improved? Maybe but arguably Dublin have greater legs this year too. I can see Dublin winning it in the last 10 minutes if its tight.

That is a good point, Mayo had a 10 pt lead and it was whittled down and they won by 3

But from a Mayo POV I hope they are better at holding on to leads v this yaer.

dats_right wrote: »
    3 out of the 4 All-Ireland semi-finalists were also National League semi-finalists and 6 of the 8 quarter finalists were Division 1 teams in 2013. The league form and results cannot be dismissed out of hand and are in my view usually a good indicator. That is not to say that because Dublin beat Mayo easily enough twice already this year that they will win but Dublin have been beaten only once in league or championship whereas Mayo have been beaten 5 times.

Some might say that's only the league and it doesn't count but Dublin have also faced tougher opposition reaching the All-Ireland Final than Mayo. In reality Dublin dominated Cork totally and if a few of their 6 or 7 good goal chances found the back of the net then the score line might have been similar to Mayo- Donegal. I do not want to take anything away from Mayo as they have been playing well all year and look like a very serious team with serious metal but the demolition of Donegal should not be over emphasised. Donegal were relegated in the league and have been on a serious downward trajectory ever since. I mean scraping through against a weak enough Down team and getting a roasting by no-hopers such as Monaghan showed that the Donegal team was finished. In fact I was hoping Dublin would draw either Cavan or Donegal in the Quarters as either was really just making up the numbers. You might say Donegal were All-Ireland champions and that is true but they were gone as a team this year and it had been clear from early on that they were a team in terminal decline.

Overall the final will be fascinating and it is very hard to call between two serious teams but both my heart and head say Dublin on the basis of their form to date this year, I hope they will have just a little too much in the tank for Mayo.

As I said, league form overall is a good indication of how a team are setup for the year but individual games are harder to use as a basis for predicting future meetings

As for the point about Dublin loosing only 1 game and Mayo loosing 5, I think there is more too it than that.
    As I have always been saying since the beginning of the year, I do not believe that Mayo were that interested in getting to the semis of the league, last year they were cos they did not play until June 24th, this season they had a game v Galway waiting on May 19th, so there was no need for the extra game time in 2013 that there was in 2012
    Div 1 status and new players/tactics where the goal

Dublin on the other hand were a team who wanted to win the league, build a bit of confidence in this new young squad, no better way to do it.

On the point of Dublin creating 6 or 7 good goal chances v Cork, it's all well and good but they only scored one, how many can they create v a much better defence like Mayo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I think this one is impossible to call - both these teams are playing fantastic football - I quite simply can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Draw
    As I said, league form overall is a good indication of how a team are setup for the year but individual games are harder to use as a basis for predicting future meetings

As for the point about Dublin loosing only 1 game and Mayo loosing 5, I think there is more too it than that.
    As I have always been saying since the beginning of the year, I do not believe that Mayo were that interested in getting to the semis of the league, last year they were cos they did not play until June 24th, this season they had a game v Galway waiting on May 19th, so there was no need for the extra game time in 2013 that there was in 2012
    Div 1 status and new players/tactics where the goal

Dublin on the other hand were a team who wanted to win the league, build a bit of confidence in this new young squad, no better way to do it.

On the point of Dublin creating 6 or 7 good goal chances v Cork, it's all well and good but they only scored one, how many can they create v a much better defence like Mayo ?

Whereas I'd certainly agree that the 2 games will have little bearing on the final ..as you say they're a snapshot in time .. and I'm nearly certain Horan made a post match comment with regard to Dublin being further down the road .. I can't remember if it was after the 1st or 2nd game.

I think your take on their respective goals for 2013 league is a little simplistic .. Dublin wanted to win it... Mayo wanted to try new players/tactics. Bearing in mind it was the Dublin team who were under new management/were employing a fundamentally different strategy to their football and introduced a host of new young lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Dublin
    The more I think about it the more I think Mayo will blow it.

Define blow it?

Not win when you think they should?
    Not turn up at all and get hammered?

Not having a pop just wondering? Something about this team I can't see them doing the latter anyway

The hunger they have is insane, incredible bounce back from last September's disappointment. Have beaten all round them easy in champ all year (yes, even Tyrone in the end) and will take some beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Draw
    I'm going to say a Dublin win . The Semi final told me alot about that Dublin team . When a team concedes three first half goals you would nearly say it's a case of them being dead and buried . But yet Dublin where only 2 points behind . There seems to be a hunger and we aren't beaten attitude amongst the Dublin players which is something that was lacking last year .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Dublin
    Mickey Conroy ran riot in the first half last year iirc. Really hope he starts

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Draw
    Gerry91 wrote: »
    Define blow it?

Not win when you think they should?
    Not turn up at all and get hammered?

Not having a pop just wondering? Something about this team I can't see them doing the latter anyway

The hunger they have is insane, incredible bounce back from last September's disappointment. Have beaten all round them easy in champ all year (yes, even Tyrone in the end) and will take some beating.

They will have the opportunities to win it but poor decision making, nerves and doubts will creep in and Dublin will push on to win. and wides too.

Just a feeling I get about Mayo. History proves they do also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Dublin
    They will have the opportunities to win it but poor decision making, nerves and doubts will creep in and Dublin will push on to win. and wides too.

Just a feeling I get about Mayo. History proves they do also.

All those accusations have been thrown at Dublin in the recent past aswell, these are two different animals IMO though and history will have nothing to do with this match, the best team on the day will win.

Advertisement