Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewatching Lost - is it worth it?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

What important questions were unanswered? I've more or less forgotten.

(1) what the **** is going on
    (2) variations on that theme

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

(1) what the **** is going on
    (2) variations on that theme

The main plot wasn't that hard to follow. There were some side plots that complicated things, and a good few of those were left unanswered but I don't think every single thing needed to be answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

The main, and majority, of questions were answered.

People complain about the last episode; but would they prefer to watch a list of answers to unrelated questions rhymed off?

Plus, having a few, minor, loose ends means re-watching the series can be more interesting and keeps discussion alive after the series ends, which it most certainly has.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

The main, and majority, of questions were answered.

People complain about the last episode; but would they prefer to watch a list of answers to unrelated questions rhymed off?

Plus, having a few, minor, loose ends means re-watching the series can be more interesting and keeps discussion alive after the series ends, which it most certainly has.

Ah come on now, a list of answers rhymed off? A decent, well thought out and well written show would have answered the numerous 'minor' loose ends.
    Lost, a great show at the time, ultimately was a failure and a massive let down as it got too big for the guys responsible and they couldn't do it justice. It had a beginning and an end and a lot of nonsense in between.

Rewatch Lost? omfg shoot me

it's been so long since the show ended I think most of us would have to watch it again just to answer those questions and as we've indicated so far in the thread, we're just not going to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrBobbyZ

The worst series I've ever watched start to finish, And I've watched way more series than a person should ever admit to!
    Season 1 captured the imagination, as something different will often do. It encouraged "water cooler talk" with endless mysteries and vague dialogue between characters.
    Sometime during season 2 I started to tire of the formula. I felt everything was being hammed up so they could do that do that "whoosh" sound effect before heading to commercial break.

Imaginary example: A thirsty Jack approches Ben.
    Jack: "I need some water, do you have any?"
    Ben: "That depends Jack, how far are you willing to go for it!"
    Close up of Bens serious face.
    Whoosh!
    Adverts.

MrBobbyZ wrote: »

Whoosh!
    Adverts.

that's probably the best sum up of lost ever written :D

Oh and I forgot, after the ad break, there would be no mention of water again. Probably cut to Hurley building a golf course or something.

Mr.S wrote: »
    As do a lot of shows though.

What loose ends did you want cleared up?

Tbh I cannot remember lol, all I remember is saying to the hypnotist "Just make me forget" and it has worked on the main.
    I spent too much time on the puter during the years of Lost and I am not wasting any more refreshing the memory.

Liamalone wrote: »
    Tbh I cannot remember lol, all I remember is saying to the hypnotist "Just make me forget" and it has worked on the main.

I wish I could do the same.. so I could watch it all over again.

• Advertisement

I wish I could do the same.. so I could watch it all over again.

What's stopping you? If you're implying that it's so good then get it watched times infinity.

Liamalone wrote: »
    What's stopping you? If you're implying that it's so good then get it watched times infinity.

I believe he meant that so that all the reveals, stories, etc would be unknown to him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

MrBobbyZ wrote: »
    The worst series I've ever watched start to finish, And I've watched way more series than a person should ever admit to!
    Season 1 captured the imagination, as something different will often do. It encouraged "water cooler talk" with endless mysteries and vague dialogue between characters.
    Sometime during season 2 I started to tire of the formula. I felt everything was being hammed up so they could do that do that "whoosh" sound effect before heading to commercial break.

Whoosh!
    Adverts.

I love the show, I've never had somebody sum it up in as few words, you finally cracked the mystery of lost. The mystery was the mystery!

:D

Adamantium wrote: »
    I love the show, I've never had somebody sum it up in as few words, you finally cracked the mystery of lost. The mystery was the mystery!

:D

Think the real mystery was how so many people watched this (myself included). When far better TV shows get cancelled after one or two series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

Never watched it & judging by the scathing comments re., the last episode, I don't think I will now

Never watched it & judging by the scathing comments re., the last episode, I don't think I will now

You should. It's still a very enjoyable experience. There are a lot of better written shows out there, but no other show has matched the experience of watching Lost for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

The plot was thin enough, with a lot of manufactured drama. Very difficult to find likeable characters. And the habit of someone pulling a gun on someone and asking "what the hell is going on" got a bit ridiculous.

• Site Banned Posts: 433 ✭✭Donegal Dan

As an aside I thought it was verey strange that Damon and Carlton havent teamed up on anything since.

They must have had several TV executives doing this when Lost ended

take_my_money.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I'd rather watch paint dry, and then apply a second coat and watch that dry too, than watch any episodes of Lost ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I cant believe how much energy I put into it at the time to be honest, declaring it better than the Sopranos etc, pouring over the Wikis, reading all the forums after every episode, I must have been enjoying it at the time but all I remember is how much I hated it by the time it got to the end, I used to watch the eps at 2X speed in VLC Player just to get it over with, every episode towards the end was 80% time wasting nonsense.

• Advertisement

sdeire wrote: »
    I'd rather watch paint dry, and then apply a second coat and watch that dry too, than watch any episodes of Lost ever again.

I can understand people saying they don't enjoy the show as a whole, but singularly there was some amazing episodes of Lost that are some of the best television ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I can understand people saying they don't enjoy the show as a whole, but singularly there was some amazing episodes of Lost that are some of the best television ever.

Yeah, but you can't really watch one episode completely out of context.

Lost, for want of a better phrase, got lost in the cloud that was an absolutely nonsense storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I never got the Hate for how the show ended.Some of the best TV moments for me are from Lost.They scenes in the last episode where they met each other and remembered i thought were pretty special.Would i invest the time to rewatch,probably not but am i sorry for having watched the show at all? HELL NO!!

Cmon Lads "NOT PENNYS BOAT"

sdeire wrote: »
    Yeah, but you can't really watch one episode completely out of context.

Lost, for want of a better phrase, got lost in the cloud that was an absolutely nonsense storyline.

Well, except the first one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Lost is like the television equivalent of Star Wars and I mean that in the best possible way. Great-pulp fiction mixed with strong characters and mythology. It's no surprise that Abrams (even though he only set the tone and left after the 1st season) is doing Star Wars now.

The setting alone was a masterstroke

As I was said before, yes Walter White and Tony Soprano are incredible TV charcaters, but there are no where near the iconic characters that Lost had.

Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Locke, Sawyer, Sayid, Jin and Sun and many many, DOZENS other all feel wonderfully drawn and it was the mixture of these archetypes with the almost dream like setting, that was most remarkable They were often messed up, and they still manged to feel larger than life and role model in a way.

They were iconic; I mean look:

tabularasa501jack-and-kate.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    lost.jpg

It was a really hopeful and uplifting show (and it definitely could go dark too) and I think it was a real one off rarity in these days especially with the proliferation of anti-hero shows. GOT, Mad Men, BB are all dark and depressing as hell, let's be honest, as much as I love those kinds of stories. You can't really get the whole family around watching GAME OF THRONES.

It was like 15 different genres rolled into one, with heroism, adventure, romance, geographical isolation, mystery, redemption. Horror something that was very prevalent in the early seasons. I do wish the theme of survival and had been more explored and expanded upon that was eventually lost in the later seasons, in the earlier seasons the 48 surviors felt very vulnerable and at the mercy of the elements. The feeling of paranoia and isolation and have coming to terms with living indefinitely on this merciless island in the earlier seasons was so evocative

It was a great show for my teenage years and I still look back at it as THE "show". Ended in 2010, when I was 20.

It's the most ambitious network show there ever was by pure fluke (and probably will ever be)

With nearly all media, I wouldn't feel a loss if it never existed, but I'm glad LOST existed in the singular form we got it, I feel like a better person for having watched/know/theorized over it and that is a extremely rare thing to say about anything made for ratings and money as a final end point.

On a side note, it is ABSOLUTELY criminal that Matthew Fox is no were to be seen these days (granted I'd never work again if I had to) and Josh Holloway needs to be made Indiana Jones asap. Born to play it. Evangeline Lilly, Micheal Emerson and Jin's actor and Terry O Quinn are all getting screen time

Spoilers:

I don't think any other show will ever come close to pulling off such a genuine stunner as this scene. Nobody I knew saw this coming. Even throughout the episode it was sort of hinted, but you ignore unconsciously it. When my brother and I actually watched Season 4 (it was off the air for a over a year because of the writers strike), he said "I can't believe we're actually watching this for REAL!".

So sinister and sad, horror-like, considering they finally
    acheived contact with a rescue ship in the previous scene
    finding the future was so dark, sent my mind into overdrive with possibilities of what transpired in the interlude.
    Other shows have laso used to this to great effect
    (BSG)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Amazing show, loved re-watching it.

Adamantium wrote: »
    Lost is like the television equivalent of Star Wars and I mean that in the best possible way. Great-pulp fiction mixed with strong characters and mythology. It's no surprise that Abrams (even though he only set the tone and left after the 1st season) is doing Star Wars now.

The setting alone was a masterstroke

As I was said before, yes Walter White and Tony Soprano are incredible TV charcaters, but there are no where near the iconic characters that Lost had.

Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Locke, Sawyer, Sayid, Jin and Sun and many many, DOZENS

Stopped reading there, dozens? Really?

Advertisement