Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First day of Autumn...the hunt for a coat is on!

Options
  • 02-09-2013 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

It's that time of year again, we have to put away the shorts and embrace the jumper. Although it's mild enough at the moment, Irish weather is unpredictable and we'll all be needing a good winter coat sooner or later!

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy some?

Every year I look for the same coat, it's like my fashion white whale. I think it may not exist.

Ideally, I'd love a warm coat, that has a hood, is waterproof and doesn't bulge out! If I find a coat that matches the first 3 criteria it always makes me look like an igloo or something when I try it on. :mad:

So, if anyone can point me in a direction where I might find my white whale that would be super! But any aid in finding a reliable retailer of coats would be welcome as a starting point.

Good luck to anyone else with the same quest! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I got a FAB parka in Tesco last winter. Just past my knee, had a tie-thingy in the inside so I could pull it in at my waist and a zip and poppers on the outside.
    Had a big hood which is a must for me, not one of those that if your hair is up you cant get the damn thing to cover your head! It was removable too :)
    It was nice and toasty for heading to/from work
    Think it was €40ish but I know I'll get at least 2 more winters out of it!

Edit:
    Here it is! http://www.clothingattesco.com/coats+jackets/f+f-faux-fur-trim-parka/invt/bt312217/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I got a FAB parka in Tesco last winter. Just past my knee, had a tie-thingy in the inside so I could pull it in at my waist and a zip and poppers on the outside.
    Had a big hood which is a must for me, not one of those that if your hair is up you cant get the damn thing to cover your head! It was removable too :)
    It was nice and toasty for heading to/from work
    Think it was €40ish but I know I'll get at least 2 more winters out of it!

Edit:
    Here it is! http://www.clothingattesco.com/coats+jackets/f+f-faux-fur-trim-parka/invt/bt312217/

That coat looks amazing! Do you not get soaked in it though?

This. I can't bear having to take my hair down just to put up my hood, it's a nightmare!!

Thanks for the link :) €40 is a grand price too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I'd only get wet if there was torrential rain, I think once or twice in very heavy rain the water seeped through the outside lining but I wasn't totally soaked myself if you get me? I'd give it 8/10 for water resistance anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I got a black puffy hooded parka in Dunnes last year for €45 - think every 2nd person has one, but it's awesome. Doesn't let rain in, has a HUGE hood that has ties on it to keep it down and a waist belt so it'll still allow you to have some shape instead of looking like a box. It's basically a lagging jacket! Haven't seen it in store yet this year though, most jackets seem to be of a cloth material that would soak up rain which is fairly useless.

I'm on the hunt myself for a hooded leather jacket, have yet to see one in any shops this year yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

I got a navy duffle coat in Penneys last week, it ties with like buckles instead of toggles though, it has a grand big hood too so like the above posters said I don't have to take down my hair! ....as for the rain, it's definitely not water proof, so I've invested in a good umbrella :P

There's gorgeous parkas with fur hoods in Penneys at the moment too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

123 LC wrote: »
    I got a navy duffle coat in Penneys last week, it ties with like buckles instead of toggles though, it has a grand big hood too so like the above posters said I don't have to take down my hair! ....as for the rain, it's definitely not water proof, so I've invested in a good umbrella :P

There's gorgeous parkas with fur hoods in Penneys at the moment too!

I think I have the same one! It's a lovely jacket and the hood was what sold me on it. I'm also looking for something a bit more warm and waterproof for those horrible days. There's a lot of parkas on ASOS at the moment that are catching my eye, quite a few of them have removable furry inner lining.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

I got a lovely parka-type hooded jacket in Vero Moda last year. I'm sure they'll have similar enough stock this year. I find Vero Moda great for coats like this - Danish company - so they know what a cold Winter is like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Zara do a good range of warm hooded winter coats. They are really good fits and last forever so well worth the for spend of around €130.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Ended up buying this one for myself... hoping I got the sizing right as no doubt it'll cost a fortune to send back! ASOS are doing free express shipping to Ireland at the moment, very handy.

I second Zara for coats- they've got some of the biggest hoods I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anamara86

Gauge wrote: »
    Ended up buying this one for myself... hoping I got the sizing right as no doubt it'll cost a fortune to send back! ASOS are doing free express shipping to Ireland at the moment, very handy.

I second Zara for coats- they've got some of the biggest hoods I've ever seen.

I've been eyeing up that coat from ASOS too, it's lovely, would love to know how it fits.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I live in longing of finding a brightly coloured, mid-thigh length wool blend coat, that nips in at the waist and flares out nicely, and ideally has a hood. I've got in that meets those criteria except it's black, and I've had one that meets the criteria except it had no hood.

Something like this, except with a hood and in, say, blue/green/purple:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anamara86

That coat is beautiful!! Knowing me though, it wouldn't be long before I'd have a huge stain down the front on it, so white would have to be ruled out - love one in navy too! I don't know what it is about navy, but I find it a really luxurious colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

I saw Pennys actually have a few nice ones - A lot nicer than usual. Vera Moda usually have good jackets too. I got a nice black and white tweed one last year and it is still going strong. I want to buy another one this year , maybe one just above my knee but I still find it too hot out!! Am I the only one?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

No, I do too, a cardigan is doing me fine but I know that won't last very long! Faith I got one like that in purple last year in New Look, and was looking at one in green there too. Gorgeous fit and lasted very well, will definitely do me this year too. No hood though, so I'm looking for one with a hood this year, maybe in grey or black though because I don't have a decent black coat anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Blue_Rose

Anyone know of places good for coats for taller folk? Usually have to get a size too big just so the sleeves are long enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I have this coat from Topshop a few years ago.
    img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=40703288
    Never really wear it, though. I always feel like it's too dressy on :o

Everytime I buy a nice coat it gets lost/stolen. Got a fab Marc Jacobs one about 4 years ago, left it on a chair in a pub for 5 minutes while I got a drink, and was gone. A week after I got it!

Also had a nice Warehouse one 2 years ago and it "went missing" at work..after about 3 days :mad:

However, I've had a cheap enough leather jacket for the past 2 years that I always wear, leave on chairs in nightclubs, behind bars, under tables etc...and has never gone missing!

Anyway...I'd love a faux fur coat this year! They look so cosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Blue_Rose wrote: »
    Anyone know of places good for coats for taller folk? Usually have to get a size too big just so the sleeves are long enough!

Topshop have lots of coats in the Tall range!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Blue_Rose wrote: »
    Dorothy Perkins had some gorgeous coats in the Tall collection last year, I was very jealous of the taller ladies as I thought the Tall coats were so much nicer than the regular ones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StinkySocs

That's a nice coat, Silly, must have a look in VM.

Next is also good for coats...I got a black one last year, zip up the front and a massive hood....I'd buy the same one this year cos the zip is popping..but it's not the coats fault :( boo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I want a really warm coat this year. Any suggestions?

mood wrote: »
    I want a really warm coat this year. Any suggestions?

The quilted coats in zara are definitely warm. Anything with a feather down will be toasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

yellow hen wrote: »
    The quilted coats in zara are definitely warm. Anything with a feather down will be toasty!

I hate quilted coats. Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Lexe

fits wrote: »

They are expensive alright but I feel all warm n cozy just looking at them!

Lexe wrote: »
    They are expensive alright but I feel all warm n cozy just looking at them!

I have one of those and to be honest, I think they're too heavy for Ireland. You need seriously cold conditions for this coat. On the plus side, yes they're expensive but they're a coat for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

mood wrote: »
    I hate quilted coats. Any other suggestions?

Just get a heavy coat. Benetton and Sisley are good because they cater for colder winters than UK and sometimes Spanish brands. Plus material composition is often better (warmer).

Couple examples:
    http://www.zalando.co.uk/benetton-classic-coat-beige-4be21h00p-704.html
    http://www.zalando.co.uk/vila-delta-classic-coat-grey-v1021h014-c00.html
    http://www.zalando.co.uk/sisley-classic-coat-black-7si21h00l-802.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I have a fab coat that i got in Topshop. Also have a lovely Benetton duffle coat. For quality and style you can't beat Karen Millen. I got a couple of coats there over the past few seasons that are really classy and won't go out of style any time soon. Downside is that they don't have hoods. Miss 60 and Guess do really nice coats too, worth checking out.

ETA: post above actually has a picture of my Benetton Duffle coat..just spotted it. Quality is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭fits

yellow hen wrote: »
    I have one of those and to be honest, I think they're too heavy for Ireland. You need seriously cold conditions for this coat. On the plus side, yes they're expensive but they're a coat for life.

I need a coat like this tbh... I have a winter parka but it was cheap and didn't last. It went down to -27 here last winter, and can go below -40 so...

seriously crave one of these. But want one in navy with orange lining!
    http://www.asos.com/Alpha-Industries/Alpha-Industries-Parka/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3115641&cid=11926&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=36&sort=-1&clr=Sage+green

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

fits wrote: »
    I need a coat like this tbh... I have a winter parka but it was cheap and didn't last. It went down to -27 here last winter, and can go below -40 so...

seriously crave one of these. But want one in navy with orange lining!
    http://www.asos.com/Alpha-Industries/Alpha-Industries-Parka/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3115641&cid=11926&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=36&sort=-1&clr=Sage+green

I have the same parka (mans version)
    It's very warm.

Advertisement